Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I want to check out Coil.

The only song I've heard is Teenage Lightning, which is pretty neat. Is that album (Ape of Naples) a good place to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

trans fat posted:

Where should I start with Outkast? My Outkast knowledge goes as far as Ms. Jackson, BOB and Hey Ya.

For Outkast I'd recommend Aquemini as a start because that album is awesome, and then go for ATLiens. They're all incredible albums. You might want to give Speakerboxxx/The Love Below a shot. Their first album is great too but I don't know how it's aged because I've been listening to it for so long.

Overall:

Aquemini
ATLiens
Speakerboxxx/The Love Below
Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik
Stankonia

Thanks Technetium and HAI for the Coil recommendations. I think I'll go for Love's Secret Domain first.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Emmitt Nervend posted:

What about Fugazi? It's one of those bands I always hear talked about, and everyone I know of who is into them is REALLY into them.

13 Songs and Repeater would probably be your best bet and are the two that got me into Fugazi as well. Those two albums have most of the familiar songs and are both great albums. And once you've gotten a feel for their sound, give the soundtrack to Instrument a listen to hear how diverse they are able to sound.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

moosey posted:

Where do I start with:

John Prine?

I got into John Prine about 8 years ago and the album that did it for me was the anthology called Great Days. It's a great two-disc album and is filled with good songs.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Days-John-Prine-Anthology/dp/B000003329

I've never felt the need to buy another album of his after having Great Days for so long.

Some of my favorite tracks from the compilation:

Christmas In Prison
Angel From Montgomery (amazing live version with Bonnie Rait)
Unwed Fathers
Storm Windows
Sabu Visits The Twin Cities Alone
Illegal Smile

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 5, 2008

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I would like to check out:

Melt Banana
The Boredoms
Lightning Bolt
The Locust

And any other obnoxious noise.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

19charactersorless. posted:

Melt Banana - Try Bambi's Dillema
Lightning Bolt - Either Hypermagic Mountain or Wonderful Rainbow

aaaaaaand if you want obnoxious, noisy, Boredoms try Soul Discharge. Then get everything else they've ever done, including all the super roots albums and OOIOO's stuff and eYe's DJ work as their albums are rarely anything less than amazing.

edit: Obnoxious noise? Dude, try Merzbow.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will check these out for sure.

I think I need to explore Merzbow a little more. I had checked out one track a while ago and it wasn't good. I can't remember the name of it unfortunately.

I like really aggressive sounding stuff, both in electronic music and rock. I'm not too keen on droning noise but I do like a "wall of sound" presence as well as the more manic stuff.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 17, 2008

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

SubtleDagger posted:

Infidel?/Castro!'s "Bioentropic Damage Fractal", Behold... the Arctopus, old The Dillinger Escape Plan (everything before Miss Machine), PsyOpus's "Ideas of Reference", Wolf Eyes, Orthrelm and Ocrilim are definitely all things you should check out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm familiar with Behold... the Arctopus and enjoy them. I see Infidel?/Castro! is related to Dysrythmia, who I have also heard. I've heard a little of Dillinger Escape Plan but not enough to form an opinion. I'll give them a better listen as well. And I've only heard mention of Wolf Eyes. The others are new to me but I'll be checking them out for sure.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Popcorn posted:

I yet seek instruction regarding Donovan though. Is there more stuff out there by like "Colours"? It's the only song I know (from a movie soundtrack) and I love it. Can anyone help?

You'd probably do all right just going with a compilation.

I'd suggest either this Greatest Hits album or Troubadour, which has some great songs on it. I was pleased to find a copy of the latter album at my local library.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Brian Flanagan posted:

I'm wondering if anyone can help me find more glam rock/glam influenced rock? I've got all the Bowie, T. Rex and Mott the Hoople albums, as well as some of newer stuff like Spacehog and The Eagles of Death Metal (maybe glam). I've liked some singles by groups like Mud and Alvin Stardust too. What else is out there that has that real glam sound to it?

Give a listen to Roxy Music. Go for their self-titled album and see what you think.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I had never heard of Chrome before but they're awesome. Thanks to the person asking about them and the person who provided the suggestion. I bought the double MP3 album on Amazon for $7.99 :)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 4, 2010

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

For years I've had the Oasis song "Half the World Away" in my collection, and it struck me tonight how much I like that song. I don't think I've ever heard another Oasis song. What's a good album to check out, with that song in mind?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

Thanks so much, I'll definitely get those three releases first. Do you have any other 80s Hardcore recommendations?

Minutemen!

This Ain't No Picnic
Jesus & Tequila

Double Nickels on the Dime is one of the finest albums to come out of the 80's, hardcore or otherwise.

Consider the fierceness of the two songs above, and then these, which appeared on the same album:

History Lesson, Pt II
Cohesion

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Nov 10, 2011

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Also related - The Minutemen documentary "We Jam Econo", is on Netflix instant watch, and it's a great film.

RIP D Boon :cry:

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Where to start for Nurse With Wound?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks for the awesome reply. I'll dig into what you suggested.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

NRBQ? I love Scraps, but that's the only album I've listened to.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Wyatt posted:

The simplest thing to do would be to listen to their first two albums, Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral. If you like the heavier industrial stuff, you can then check out the EP Broken, which came out in between them. If you liked what you heard on The Downward Spiral, check out their third album, The Fragile.

And if you like Broken, check out the remix album Fixed.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Metal Loaf posted:

Oh, dear. It seems that I've gone and misrepresented him rather unfairly. I can assure you that's not the case (I must admit that he said Bettencourt was the best starting point for getting a feel for the style in question, and he only mentioned Vai in response to what was a bit of a leading question on my part) but I see how you'd get that from my post. Sorry!

Your teacher should know enough to suggest Eddie Hazel.

Maggot Brain - Hazel playing one of the greatest guitar songs known to man, animal, and beyond.

Funkadelic

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Goatmask posted:

Any recommendations on modern psychedelic rock groups? Something still reasonably accessible I guess? :shrug:

Tame Impala - Elephant (the current front-runner in the new psych movement)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0jqPvpn3sY

Assemble Head in Sunburst Sound - Slithery Thing (currently my favorite act in the genre)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5PFybN-TYc

Mmoss - War Sux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYd2IjEeU

Quest for Fire - Strange Waves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdzPzR95Q-Y

Here's a Spotify playlist I put together a few days ago with a good selection:
http://open.spotify.com/user/faktory4/playlist/07ESjQ7h9SFrPGm7v8WfQl
(a couple of oddballs in there, like Ween, who would not typically be lumped into the genre; and some spacier stuff)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 28, 2013

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I got into Calexico from a live recording from Stockholm in 2003, found at archive.org. You can stream it there to check it out. The audio quality is phenomenal and I prefer this to any of their studio albums. It's also got their great cover of the Minutemen song Corona, Alone Again Or (Love cover), and a cover of Link Wray's Falling Rain.

My first thought of the song you're describing was Woven Birds, which is on that live recording. I don't know of any gongs though. It's just got a cool part midway where it gets kind of dreamy sounding.

https://archive.org/details/calexico2003-04-25.flac16

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 10, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

screaden posted:

That's all they've got, except for a few eps which I think is mostly remixes anyway

And I imagine sure you're aware, but they were among many very popular artists with that same 'big beat' sound: Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Meat Beat Manifesto, The Crystal Method. So if you're looking for more of that sound in general, those would be the way.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

alnilam posted:

Thanks! Could you recommend what album to start with among all those artists?
I do have Chemical Bros' "Dig your own hole."

VoodooFly covered a few so I'll get what he didn't:

Exit Planet Dust was the Chemical Brothers first big breakout album, and pretty good. They also released two really cool mixed albums that may be tougher to find: Live at the Social, Vol 1; and Brothers Gonna Work It Out. Live at the Social was a massively fun party album and I highly recommend seeking it out.

For Meat Beat Manifesto, I can't recommend a particular album in full because I don't feel like any were particularly strong throughout. Check out the tracks Helter Skelter, Radio Babylon, and Asbestos Lead Asbestos.

Edit: I can't vouch for how well this has stood the test of time, of whether you'll dig it, but check out Pop Will Eat Itself. They were tangentially related I guess, but their later material, particularly the linked album, as a more 'full' sound (but contains a lot of vocals which you may or may not like). I was a big fan of them around the same time I was listening to a lot of what you seem interested in.

Also, I've mentioned it too many times in this thread as a suggestion, but check out DJ Shadow - Endtroducing. It's a little more on the instrumental hiphop vibe but still shares some commonality with the big beat stuff.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 1, 2014

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Guide me on traditional Appalachian bluegrass and folk, please.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

What about Clutch?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I'm ignorant of Elvis Costello. I'd like to explore beyond his well known songs.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks - I'll check out all of those.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Guided by Voices?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Can anyone shed light on Devendra Banhart? He has a pretty large discography and it sounds like they are pretty diverse.

I first heard the track Sea Horse and really liked it. Then I checked out some other tracks and found a lot of variety.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Jesus and Mary Chain?

I just heard the track Dirty Water and I loved it.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I checked out some of their other stuff and it was more in line with my perceptions of the band. Dirty Water could have been a T-Rex track.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Jikes posted:

I really like the KLF's Chill Out. What else is out there with a similar vibe?

I've never found any album like it. I think the closest I've found would be The Orb's version of Fluffy Little Clouds from the Live 93 album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge-dNTCX9wo

You may give that album a shot. It's sample-heavy and trippy.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 21, 2018

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Are there any more industrial bands doing stuff similar to Last Rights?

Also, where do I start with PIL?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Post-Beatles McCartney?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Thanks! I had heard a little of Ram and I've heard Band on the Run, both of which sparked my interest. I'll be listening to these today.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

SgtScruffy posted:

This may be a tricky question, but is there a "best" place to start with King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard?

I know that part of their Thing is that each album has a different genre and vibe, so should I just go with "what genre do I wanna start with" and do that?

I like Gumboot Soup a lot, along with Flying Microtonal Banana. Nonagon Infinity is also great, and so is Paper Mache Dream Balloon (that was my introduction)

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

fart store posted:

If I love Amoreena and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, what other Elton John poo poo should I give a chance?

Also I love the beginning of Monkey Man by Rolling Stones while hating most everything else by the stones, including Monkey Man after the vocals start.

While I'm posting here I want to say that Strangers by The Kinks sure is a real good song.

The album that Amoreena is from (Tumbleweed Junction) is really good. Also Madman Across the Water is both an excellent song, and a great album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWrzhWnzhAs

A few random cool unusual Stones songs :

Heaven, off Tattoo You:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxVSsjGitg

Coming Down Again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTxVSsjGitg

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

And my god Prine wrote some soul-crushing sad songs.

As mentioned:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sl9ZkYViEIs

And:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oliKRRw6ACk

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

A favorite of mine is Souvenirs, which takes a few themes and ideas he's done before ("Flashback Blues", for instance) and instills it with sadness and regret.

I'm not embarrassed to admit I started crying on the day he died when I put on Souvenirs. It's one of my favorites as well.

I put together this playlist earlier last year when my friend asked for guidance on Prine. This is pretty much a recreation of the out of print "Great Days" anthology, which was my entry point into his music so long ago:

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1gl7QJr9CUp4Ix6iQ6sUpw?si=TTlAzCasQiG5bAih9ieFKQ

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Where do I start with Buju Banton and similar artists? I should clarify - I like how aggressive Buju Banton sounds and I'm looking for stuff like that. (I have a feeling I may have asked about this before but I can't remember.)

me your dad fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Apr 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

My entry point was Nebraska and I'm not super crazy about his big rock sound, despite having been a youth when Born in the USA was the biggest hit in the country.

I like his stripped down stuff much better. Nebraska and Ghosts of Tom Joad are incredible. I didn't discover either of those until I was in my 30s.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 3, 2020