Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

dflanny posted:

The Melvins have about a billion albums. Which one should I start with?

If you just like their faster, punkier stuff, you need Houdini, Stoner Witch, and (a) Senile Animal, and possibly Ozma.

If you prefer the drone stuff, get Lysol or Bullhead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Mr. Pither posted:

How 'bout W.A.S.P. and Kyuss?

Can't help you with W.A.S.P., but for Kyuss you need Welcome to Sky Valley, then Blues for the Red Sun, then ..And the Circus Leaves Town, then any of their split/EP material. Avoid Wretch until you've exhausted everything else.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Toyotadon posted:

Any Husker Du recommendations?

Zen Arcade and New Day Rising are probably all you need.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

buggmoo posted:

Where should go from Keep It Like a Secret from Built to Spill?

Perfect from Now On and There's Nothing Wrong With Love should be your next destinations. After that, try their latest, You In Reverse.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
AEnima, i guess.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Pivotal Lever posted:

Get You're Living All Over Me and Bug. They're the only 2 Dinosaur Jr. albums that are worth a drat, and they're both extremely good.

Wrong. Their latest, Beyond, is also solid.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

ThunderTung posted:

Spoon?

All of their stuff is great but I really like their first few albums the best, especially A Series of Sneaks and Girls Can Tell.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Willie The Disk posted:

Rain Dogs (1985)
Small Change (1976)
Mule Variations (1999)

In that order. IMO.

Rain Dogs, yes. Small Change, not necessarily.

Basically you can't go wrong with Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones, and Frank's Wild Years - but if you don't like the style of any of those records, you might try Small Change.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Rogue posted:

Dream Theater

Images and Words has the best "songs", and Scenes From a Memory is probably their most solid album all the way through.

The rest is hit-or-miss.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Deltron 3030 posted:

Where do I start with Ween? I don't know much about them but they seem really interesting.

Chocolate & Cheese, without question.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

And as far as other grindcore goes, you really can't go wrong with Carcass. Necrotism and Heartwork are my favorite of their albums.

Those albums aren't even grind, though.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Carlinator posted:

Odd a choice as it may be, what's the best way to get into Iron Maiden? I've heard a few of their songs on my friends' mix CD's, like # of the beast, Run to the Hills, 2 Minutes to Midnight and the like. I'd really like to insert them into my collection, but they've got quite a few albums, many of which are recommended to me as THE BEST, and I just don't know where to start.

If you want solid Iron Maiden albums, you want the self titled and Killers. Everything else they've done is about a 50/50 mix of good tracks and absolute garbage. You're better off picking up a live album or compilation.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Polegrinder posted:

This is crazy talk! Paul Di'Anno didn't suit Maiden's style at all, he was more of a rock singer or punk even. They really took off when they got Bruce Dickenson, he has a much better vocal range and fits the epic nature of their songs. That said, those first two albums are classic, but not really a good way to get into Iron Maiden.

It's debatable who the better vocalist is, but the songwriting speaks for itself.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
For Hot Water Music, their 'classic' album is Fuel for the Hate Game.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Skilleddk posted:

Mos Def and Kool G Rap, where do I start with those two?

Black on Both Sides and 4 5 6, respectively. Although depending on your taste for older rap you might like some of the G Rap/DJ Polo albums more.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Actually, Therion's death metal period is far better than anything else they did afterward, but if you're looking for more of the same I'd recommend you listen to Secret of the Runes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

hatelull posted:

Can anyone recommend where to start with Superchunk?

Is it worth it to just start with the first LP and go forward?

that's what i'd do.