Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.

Lasek posted:

Elliott Smith. I've never listened to a single song by him but I've also never heard anyone talk bad about him, so I'd love to start listening.

Either/Or is probably the best summary of his sound. It's his last indie-label album before getting picked up by Dreamworks. From there, you could check out XO and Figure 8 if you want to hear more Beatles influence and more production value, or you could check out Elliott Smith and New Moon if you like the mellower, more lo-fi side. But really, any album is a good choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

almightyjimbob
Sep 6, 2004

I love pretzel day.

Taz posted:

Beck : I have Odelay and Guero and like them, but i'm not so sure where to go from here. From what I've read these albums sound a bit different to other stuff he's done.

The Information is probably your best bet, I felt like it was sort of a continuation of Guero.

Sea Change is my personal favorite, but it's quite different from those albums. More folky, more mellow, lyrics that actually make sense. Mutations is also folky, with occasional nods to alt-country, but it's more upbeat than Sea Change. Midnite Vultures is more funky and soulful, and might be a good idea to check it out after The Information. I'm not very familiar with pre-Odelay stuff.

almightyjimbob fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 14, 2008