Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
I've been wanting to listen to The Cocteau Twins for awhile now but their discography is kind of daunting. Where to start?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse

The Bacon God posted:

Ambient 1 is Music for Airports. I've been wondering if anyone could suggest a good introduction to Don Caballero. I've heard a few songs that I can't remember the names of, but I don't have any full albums. Actually, any listening suggestions that sound like them would be welcome also.
Don Caballero 2 is your best starting point. After that move on to What Burns Never Returns and then American Don.

Don Caballero 2 is probably their harshest sounding album, it's pretty heavy at times, but if you don't enjoy that don't let that keep you from checking out American Don, as it's much more melodic and beautiful. What Burns Never Returns is a nice medium between these two sounds.

As far as other bands that sound like Don Cab, I would recommend early Hella, Oxes, Breadwinner, Sleeping People, Tera Melos, and Dazzling Killmen.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Popcorn posted:

Thanks Willie and bedmobile!

Does anyone know where I should start with Sonic Youth? There's an old Radiohead b-side called Permanent Daylight that I absolutely adore and it's said to be 'a tribute to Sonic Youth'. If there's more like Permanent Daylight then I'm very interested. (Here's the Radiohead track for comparison: http://youtube.com/watch?v=t6rqUhEyzGM)

Even if the Sonic Youth connection is exaggerated, I'd still like to know where to start with this iconic band.
The Radiohead song Jigsaw Falling Into Place is also kind of a Sonic Youth ripoff.

To kinda narrow down what HAL said, start with Daydream Nation, their undisputed classic, then check out Goo. Those two albums sound most what like you're looking for.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Rush.

I've heard and liked Moving Pictures, especially YYZ. Where should I go next?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

I think this thread deserves a bump.

Where do I start with The Fall? Their discography is large and intimidating. I've heard This Nations Saving Grace is their best album, but what else is good?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

bovis posted:

Where should I start with Modest Mouse?
The Lonesome Crowded West.

Probably their best album. However, if you don't like it you may still like their other stuff.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Where do I start with XTC?

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Frog Strips posted:

This isn't really what the thread is for, but I've started listening to MF Doom. The Mouse and the Mask was great, the references to AQHF were kinda corny, and I really, really liked Mm Food.

I've noticed he's done ten million different collaborations and projects with one hundred million other people. For those of you who've heard a lot of his material, what do you think it worth picking up or locating.
You seriously haven't listened to Madvillainy yet? Get that immediately and after that I would check out his newest album Born Like This.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

the Bunt posted:

Melt Banana
I would start with Cell-Scape as it is probably the most accessible and easy to get into of their records. Their earlier stuff is very lo-fi and abrasive but with Cell-Scape they made a turn to a more approachable and melodic style, Yako even sings on one of the songs! Their newest album Bambi's Dilemma is kind of a mix of their early and new styles but with the same hi-fi recording quality as Cell-Scape. However my personal favorite album has to be Teeny Shiny.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

screenwritersblues posted:

I've always had some what of an interest in experimental rock, but have no clue where to go. I've read that Fear Before is some what of an experimental rock band, but where to start and where to go from there.
Whaaaaaa...? Listen to CAN.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Naked has (Nothing But) Flowers, there is no way that album is bad.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

big business sloth posted:

how about a good starter for Oneida?
I would start with something like Secret Wars or The Wedding, slightly more accessible and straightforward albums compared to their crazy epic stuff like Rated O.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Wheelchair Zombie posted:

Where do I start with Gang Gang Dance?
Saint Dymphna for sure. If you like that then check out God's Money and just go backwards from there. That should prepare you for the release of Eye Contact, which should be epic.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Hey so I already love Throbbing Gristle and Coil but I'm not as familiar with Psychic TV. I've heard Godstar and Allegory and Self but I see that their discography is quite large and confusing. What to listen to next? I'm very interested in their brand of acid house.

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

THE FALL?! man, listen to the Peel sessions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUIMbTjvhzU

but if you like Von Sudenfed you'll probably like The Unutterable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRZE8Et6x8A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HP Hovercraft
Jan 1, 2006

Terminally Bored posted:

3. avantgarde - Hex, Perverted By Language, Room To Live, keep away from these if you're starting, but these are some of the best stuff they ever did. Heavy, dense. The lyrics on Perverted are just otherworldy, no one came close to that level of writing in rock music (be it punk or any other genre).
The Fall aren't really that avant-garde man, anyone whose heard some Velvet Underground or Captain Beefheart and Iggy Pop can get them. but yes I agree about the lyrics. stuff like Tempo House, Smile, and Garden are some of his finest moments. Eat Y'self Fitter was the first Fall song i ever heard.