Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sausage
Dec 27, 2002

righting wrong

cannonballs posted:

I was engaged for 6 months during a 5 year relationship, but unfortunately, things didn't work out and we went our separate ways.

Anyway - my ring (which was absolutely amazing, 1.2 carats) cost my fiancee between $5000-$8000. He never gave me an exact amount, but I'd say it was closer to $6000 - $7000.

Wow, I had a very similar experience. Our relationship lasted roughly 4.5yrs, ending after our 4 month engagement.

We went about the ring thing a little too intelligently and did it together, taking some of the romance out of the whole process. We learned as much as possible, and decided on the 5 c's that suited us before we went shopping. First we did a practice run at Robbins Bros. (local retailer) to try out our sales/negotiating skills. For roughly a 1.2 carat diamond with a white gold band we negotatied them from $10,000 to around $7,000 before leaving. Then we took our skills to the LA jewelry mart and got the same thing from a recommended jeweler, and my fiancee spent between $2000-$3000 (I think we negotiated down from around $4,000). FOR THE SAME THING.

The important thing to know ahead of time is that more often than not, the price is negotiable. Also, after we picked out our diamond we didn't let it out of our site. We went with it and watched them put it in its setting.

edited with correction.

Sausage fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sausage
Dec 27, 2002

righting wrong

JohnnyRnR posted:

It's a very good policy. I never negotiate on price. If a customer needs to spend less we move to a different diamond or a simpler setting.

Sales people do the same thing everywhere (car lots in particular), which is why as the consumer you should try to avoid telling them your budget at all costs. Once they know your budget, they move you to the retail range that matches your budget. If however, you can find the ring (or car, etc.) that you WANT, and THEN discuss your budget, you can often times get it for the price you want it at too. This is why sales people push and push and PUSH you to give them a number.

Sausage
Dec 27, 2002

righting wrong

chachu posted:

Is there any tactful way to tell people that, instead of presents, we would rather have a donation to our fund for a down payment on a house?

http://www.newspousenewhouse.com/