Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chuch
Jun 28, 2003

A very good doggo
My wife and I spent a total of roughly 3500 dollars on everything pertaining to the wedding, which included ceremony and reception for about 50 people. If you don't have rich parents and are willing to scale back you can easily have a nice wedding without taking on five figures of debt.

We bought basic and inexpensive but still nice looking and tasteful rings, to the tune of about 300 dollars total. Neither of us could fathom spending several thousand dollars on a piece of jewelry. I won't begrudge people who do things like this, but bring it up with your s/o BEFORE dropping several large on a flashy ring. It might not be as 'romantic' to talk about buying an engagement ring instead of surprising her, but the world is not the fairy tale movies would have you believe, and once the euphoric good feelings of an engagement/wedding fade (and they WILL), you don't want to be left in a deep financial hole.

We also decided it would be most cost effective to have the ceremony and reception at the same place. We had ours at a nice, but not ridiculously fancy restaurant where the only charged us a small ($150) fee for the ceremony, and a per-head cost for the reception (About 35-40 dollars IIRC). Everyone had a great time and enjoyed the food, and no one complained about it not being at a super-ritzy 150 dollar/head venue.

It was also very helpful for us that photography and videography were not a huge priority. We had a family member do the photography for free and she did a great job. We also had a family member make our wedding cake at no cost, which turned out spectacularly and was on par with a professional cake, but obviously not everyone has these luxuries. You can usually use family connections to skim away at your costs though, so don't hesitate to make use of those resources.

Basically, don't stress yourself out too much over the whole thing. Remember WHY you are marrying this person if you find yourselves getting too caught up in the wedding logistics. A wedding is only the first step, not the ultimate goal, and you have your whole lives (hopefully) ahead of you, which will likely be filled with many challenges far greater than those involved in planning a wedding. I'm starting to sound a bit preachy, but just remember to keep things in perspective and don't kill yourselves over a one-day event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU