Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dukeofurl
Nov 27, 2004
MY GIRLFRIEND UZI BUTT PLUG

Karnegal posted:

Is their shipping safe and quick, are they helpful, etc.? I really don't want to buy from a store because I feel like I'm in a worse position for analyzing, whereas online I can get a loose diamond and know its exact specs.

Short Version: How is shopping at BlueNile.com

I peruse their site everytime I get new stuff in just to comparison shop and their loose stone prices arent bad. Not great, but not bad. From what I see, they're making the money on the settings since they're charging two to three times my cost.

As far as reputable goes, a lot of people enjoy spending money there if their earnings were any indicator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dukeofurl
Nov 27, 2004

Sausage posted:

The important thing to know ahead of time is that no matter where you go, the price is negotiable. Also, after we picked out our diamond we didn't let it out of our site. We went with it and watched them put it in its setting.

Actually, Walter Hoving made it a policy that Tiffanys will never negotiate price.

dukeofurl
Nov 27, 2004

NovaCat posted:

Engagement ring question: my white gold ring has been on my finger for about 11 months now, and its starting to show. I know I need to get it redipped and cleaned and all, but does anyone know how much this is going to set me back? Is this a thing I can go anywhere for? My ring is from Blue Nile, so I can't take it back to the place he purchased it from.

In many cases, nothing. Go into a jewelry store, look around, any observant salesperson (these are becoming rare lately) would offer a cleaning while you're browsing.

Quick dip in the ultrasonic cleaner and a shot of steam and you're good.

Also, heres something you southerners would find interesting. I found this out when I got my notary public paperwork.

The state of Florida recognizes a notary public as a wedding officiant. Therefore if you get in a jam with scheduling or your childhood priest has an emergency or whatever, a notary works in a pinch. I've had three friends get married without a priest over the past few years because they didnt want to do the premarital counseling and things they deemed as extraneous that would just cost more.

This has been your :eng101: on how to be a frugal ethnicitiy 101 for the day!

dukeofurl
Nov 27, 2004

Cmdr. Chompernuts posted:

I have a question about resizing. I'm looking at buying a vintage ring online that's a size 5, which I know is tiny. I think my girlfriend comes in at a 7 or 8, is that too much of a chore for a jeweler to resize? How much would it cost to do that?

Not a big deal if the goldsmith knows what he's doing. Cost would depend on how labor intensive, I've seen a resizes done in less than 5 minutes before. I dont think you're going to break the bank.

dukeofurl
Nov 27, 2004

Tindjin posted:

Throwing my question in here first..

Gonna propose soon. We've talked about it at various times and she's made it obvious she doesn't want an engagement ring (her second marriage). Unrelated conversations she has said one of her dreams is getting a 1955-1957 Chevy Bel-Air. I was thinking of making the car her engangement present instead. Not restored, way too much money. But finding a good shell to restore ourselves which was part of the conversations since I enjoy working on cars (I've restored a few before, thanks for the skills Dad!)..

What do you guys and more important girls think? Good idea or bad?

They're starting to get unholy expensive and bodywork hasn't really gone down. I'd probably just save up the 20-25k and just get one turn key.