Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet
I'm not going to say what we are spending but I will say that there are some really bad bands and photographers and florists out there that are at the upper end of the price scale. Still can't really tell if they know and they consider themselves frauds, or if they are completely oblivious to how hideous their creations/talents are. Doesn't really matter.

Anyway I can answer a lot of planning questions (I'm sure some other people in this thread can too) so ask away. We're just about done with planning (signed our band last night).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet
Again, not going to share how much we are spending, but I couldn't imagine having a wedding where the guests didn't expect alcohol. So our hotel, where we are having the ceremony and cocktails also, is doing it all. Open bars the whole time. We haven't done photographer yet and we aren't getting anywhere with flowers either.

But we do have the place and catering done, the rabbi, and the band. She also has her dress.

I am so so glad we signed our band last night.

For ways to save a little here and there, we don't have anything for ceremony music and might get some strings from a local conservatory.

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet

RedFish posted:

S'up, fellow K-1 filer. We've already gone through this process and are currently adjusting status, so if you have any questions about the process or want to scream in abject frustration about all the goddamn bullshit you've gone through to an empathetic ear, feel free to PM me.

If you're willing to wait three months for your honeymoon, you could apply for Advanced Parole since you'll have to pay for it regardless if you want it or not, and go once it's granted. Or you could do what we did, get a quickie legal ceremony to get the paperwork ball rolling and then have a wedding followed by honeymoon at your leisure.
Third option: whether you do the quickie wedding or your real wedding, you can file the adjustment and then seek emergency advance parole at your local office. Depends very much on your local office and you should ask your lawyer if it's feasible. For some reason it's actually very easy in New York -- you don't need a real emergency.

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet
I'm not getting into this discussion anymore of whether or not to use a lawyer, so we'll just leave it.

As for emergency advance parole, if you read what I wrote I said it depends very much on your local office. I can score them easily in New York, some of the time in Newark, and everywhere else has been hit or miss. Many offices still stick to the old "must be death or imminent death of immediate family member" policy.

Stuff like this you'll never find on visajourney :)

OH YEAH P.S. I am in this thread because I am getting married fancy-style in September.

DubDisciple fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 11, 2008

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet
Getting married in five weeks.

She has another dress fitting this Thursday.
We are going to the jeweler to get our wedding bands also Thursday.
We have a first dance song and took lessons to learn a dance to it but just today we are changing it and we now have to hurry up and get new lessons (different type of music)
Invitation response cards are coming back, about 40 percent back so far.
Brunch invitations and rehearsal dinner invitations have not even gone out yet.
What else, let's see.
Linens and lights and the food courses and hors d'oeuvres are picked out.
Groomsman gifts I still have to do.

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet
Just throwing this out there:

If he decides that the chain video store job he is still in from before college is too important and decides not to take the week off so that he can keep it, are you sure you two kids are ready to get married? You know, you don't have to support him thoroughly no matter what his choice is.

inaniloquent posted:

Thanks guys. I was still reacting to the situation and didn't really take the time to look at things logically. It's really loving ridiculous that my guy has a college degree and still has to squirm under the heels of a cow like that. It's his job from before he graduated, and he's already been in the process of looking for a proper career (economy :argh: ).

The most aggravating part of this is that he requested the time off almost a month ago, at least three weeks before this woman showed up. Nobody at the store seems to find her a good fit, so hopefully she'll be booted off. Knowing how stupid managers stick together, though, I won't hold my breath.

Whatever Ben decides to do about this, I'll support him thoroughly. I'd love to give his boss a piece of my mind, but I'm going to save the Bridezilla moments until at least the week of the wedding. :D

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet

Operatic Diva posted:

Does anyone know of the good wedding photographers in and around philadelphia?
We used Alan Harris. Was great, and the videographers he worked with were also great.

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet

Locutus of Borg posted:

J1 skank
be sure she isn't subject to 212(e)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DubDisciple
Jan 9, 2005
Jah Jah never fail I yet

Locutus of Borg posted:

Lucked out on that one, I was getting all the poo poo together to apply for a waiver and I saw on her DS2019 form and then on her I-94 that she is not subject. I guess interexchange doesn't let anyone come with government funding, they only take wealthy students that can post massive collateral to ensure their return.
There's skills list on top of govt. funding. But if the DS-2019 says no, you can trust it. Just a tip for your future marriages, don't trust the visa or I-94.