Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facey fred
Sep 17, 2007
quite facey

sheri posted:

Has anyone used priceline for flights? What was your experience like?

I used it once. We got fares from our small-market airport to O'Hare and then O'Hare to Dulles for a little less than I was able to find O'Hare to Dulles flights. It saved us the 3-hour drive to O'Hare, but probably not that much actual money. The flights were all at normal times, not any red-eye flights or anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Anyone used http://www.intrepidtravel.com/? Any thoughts from those that have heard about it or can compare it to others?

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Anyone used http://www.intrepidtravel.com/? Any thoughts from those that have heard about it or can compare it to others?

If you're wondering if they're legit, they are. They are part of a group of travel agencies that organizes small group travel - generally setting up the hotel, transportation (generally local) and a guide. I've used a similar agency, Imaginative Traveler before, and it was fine. Intrepid is one of the bigger names in that industry.

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Piracy is our only option.
Intrepid has a pretty good reputation. I looked at them when I was in Asia but I ended up going with G Adventures, who I'd recommend to anyone.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
For those that have used those planned trip companies like intrepid and g adventures, how much time alone to adventure around yourself do you get? Are you pretty much stuck with the group in a 'tour' type travel group? Or do they just organise the hotels, transport between cities etc. and once you're in the city you're free to go where you wish?

Lascivious Sloth fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Dec 20, 2011

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Our guide would tell us about what there was to do in a particular area and people would decide what they wanted to do- a lot of times groups will tend to stick together, especially for dinner/drinks, but I spent a lot of time wandering around by myself without issue. I think a lot of it depends on how well you get along with your companions and what your interests are compared to theirs, but a lot of that is random luck.

Your guide will arrange transport/hotels and so forth and if a lot of people want to do a particular thing will help out with that or point you in the right direction. I'd advise looking at an itinerary and seeing if it appeals. When I was in SE Asia with G Adventures I was very happy with the tour overall, although I wish I could have stayed longer in particular places. You do lose the spontaneous aspect of travel to some extent, but it's really nice if you're a single traveler.

If you think that you want a tour but also want lots of time to yourself, look at what's included, particularly meals. It'll give you an idea as to how much time is designed to be spent in the group or not.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
Honestly I like that they arrange transport between cities/countries and the accommodation and the overall plan of where to visit, but once I'm in the city I want to walk off by myself and explore without a group (or with if I decide to or if make travel buddies). Is travelling through intrepid/g adventures not right for me? or does it depend on the itinerary/trip type etc.?

Jenkin
Jan 21, 2003

Yeah, get a no-frills tour that doesn't include most/any meals and go for it. You'll have a blast.

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Honestly I like that they arrange transport between cities/countries and the accommodation and the overall plan of where to visit, but once I'm in the city I want to walk off by myself and explore without a group (or with if I decide to or if make travel buddies).

Yep. They usually don't include food or things to do once you are in a city/town; your time is your own.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

My girlfriend and I are looking to travel more. We need to give 2 months notice before taking off work, but besides that we're wide open on when and where to go and are interested in finding cheap airfare and hotels in places we've never been before.

I've been playing around with Kayak's "explore" function and I have already found a good chunk of flights departing from MKE for under $200/person. Are there any other sites I should keep an eye on for open ended cheap airfare? And are there any similar sites for hotels?

I've heard a few people mention that hotels will match the prices in combo deals you can find on discount travel sites - does that work? Do you just call the hotel and tell them the date and the price from the discount site?

Sorry to post baby's first travel questions, but the OP hasn't been updated since 2008 and I'm not sure how much of it is still accurate.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

My girlfriend and I are looking to travel more. We need to give 2 months notice before taking off work, but besides that we're wide open on when and where to go and are interested in finding cheap airfare and hotels in places we've never been before.

I've been playing around with Kayak's "explore" function and I have already found a good chunk of flights departing from MKE for under $200/person. Are there any other sites I should keep an eye on for open ended cheap airfare? And are there any similar sites for hotels?

I've heard a few people mention that hotels will match the prices in combo deals you can find on discount travel sites - does that work? Do you just call the hotel and tell them the date and the price from the discount site?

Sorry to post baby's first travel questions, but the OP hasn't been updated since 2008 and I'm not sure how much of it is still accurate.

Kayak's explore tool is decent, but remember that it only shows you fares to a city that were found by someone else's search. There is no telling how long a stay has to be or when it is specifically. Those are important factors in finding the price of a particular flight. It's often easier to pick a place you want to go and then find an agreeable fare, but not always.

Hotel best rate guarantees are not usually applicable to bundled packages, but by no means is that a hard and fast rule. It never hurts to try. :)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Lascivious Sloth posted:

Honestly I like that they arrange transport between cities/countries and the accommodation and the overall plan of where to visit, but once I'm in the city I want to walk off by myself and explore without a group (or with if I decide to or if make travel buddies). Is travelling through intrepid/g adventures not right for me? or does it depend on the itinerary/trip type etc.?

This is a bit late but if you're thinking of doing Europe try Busabout tours. It's basically a Hop on Hop Off ticket, but of Europe.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
In about a month, I'm going to hop on a plane to Indonesia, then travel overland from Indo north to Russia, then back down to Cape Town via Europe, and whatever Arabic states.

Now, I've always found you can talk your way out of anything at borders with some ingenuity, but most visa rules I've peeped at say I have to put in when I'm exiting the country.

I want to just get a normal 30 day or whatever tourist visa and play with that as it comes, but I don't want to be refused entry anywhere, them thinking I'm not going to leave or something.

Does anybody know what I mean, know of this problem, and know of the trick to get out of it?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Helmacron posted:

In about a month, I'm going to hop on a plane to Indonesia, then travel overland from Indo north to Russia, then back down to Cape Town via Europe, and whatever Arabic states.

Now, I've always found you can talk your way out of anything at borders with some ingenuity, but most visa rules I've peeped at say I have to put in when I'm exiting the country.

I want to just get a normal 30 day or whatever tourist visa and play with that as it comes, but I don't want to be refused entry anywhere, them thinking I'm not going to leave or something.

Does anybody know what I mean, know of this problem, and know of the trick to get out of it?

Yep, they want to make sure that you're not trying to immigrate illegally and then suck up their precious government resources, or worse, lead a life of ill repute. To work around this, showing proof of a plane ticket exiting the country within the time of the visa will generally suffice. If you want to be able to change this departure date at will, you'll need to buy what is likely to be a very expensive changeable/refundable fare.

If you wish to push your luck, you could have such a fare on the books and simply refund it once you're in the country. But if you get into trouble and have to deal with the authorities, don't expect them to be pleased.

Travel at your own risk.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Didn't want to make a thread just for this and this one seems to be the best to potentially get an answer.

What kind of information do travel agents get access to that the general public could not? Are they able to access general travel history or individual passengers, by name bookings on a flight for individuals who are not their clients, etc?

Essentially, do they just get "x seats available x price" or can they pull any type of passenger data? I am not going to ask anyone to go internet detective for me through their jobs to track someones flight history, but I am thinking of writing the capability into a story if it exists in the real world.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Spaceguns posted:

Didn't want to make a thread just for this and this one seems to be the best to potentially get an answer.

What kind of information do travel agents get access to that the general public could not? Are they able to access general travel history or individual passengers, by name bookings on a flight for individuals who are not their clients, etc?

Essentially, do they just get "x seats available x price" or can they pull any type of passenger data? I am not going to ask anyone to go internet detective for me through their jobs to track someones flight history, but I am thinking of writing the capability into a story if it exists in the real world.

Generally speaking, travel agents do not have access to any customer data that the airlines have. Airlines that manage a CRM system (all the majors do) guard that data very closely because it helps them figure out all sorts of things (pricing, marketing, customer service, customer experience, etc). Travel agents have access to one or more of the GDS' (Global Distribution Systems) where airlines publish their inventory and pricing to be sold on the market. The travel agent can see this inventory, reserve it, purchase it, and ticket it.

So, no, travel agents have no ability to track someone's flight history past the history of the flights that person has booked through that particular travel agency.

Spaceguns
Aug 28, 2007

Mackieman posted:

So, no, travel agents have no ability to track someone's flight history past the history of the flights that person has booked through that particular travel agency.

Appreciate the speedy follow up. Thank you.

Nice to know our personal data is a bit more secure.

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Is it possible to book a hotel/flight combo with Expedia for 2 weeks, but only book the hotel for one week? Sorry if it's been asked or not the right thread. I'm going to America for 2 weeks, but only need to stay in a hotel for half of that

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Is it possible to book a hotel/flight combo with Expedia for 2 weeks, but only book the hotel for one week? Sorry if it's been asked or not the right thread. I'm going to America for 2 weeks, but only need to stay in a hotel for half of that

Yes it is; on the flight+hotel search, click the check box for "I only need a hotel for part of my trip."

If you find a good deal on a flight, it can often be purchased separately and then simply book the hotel you need. If you care to venture down to the Saving Money On A Plane Ticket thread and provide the details, I'm more than happy to take a look for you.

Beef Of Ages fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 7, 2012

Business
Feb 6, 2007

anyone have an opinion on hosteling international? It seems like a membership is worth it based on the prices I'm finding (for stuff in Europe), I'm just curious if this could be some sort of rip off

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Definitely worth it for Europe.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Are there any recommendations for travel insurance companies? I'm going to need travel insurance for a couple months in Taiwan when I go there before I can get onto the national insurance system there.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Not sure where to post this, but if I'm flexible on my fly out date and willing to sit around for a few days, would it be possible to get a last minute cheap seat on an international flight?

I see empty seats all the time on international flights and wonder if by hanging around the check-in desk (non-creepishly) and shooting the poo poo with the desk staff I could get something after a while. I'd have more or less nothing to check in (just a carry-on, so I can move quick) and would only aim for economy class, of course. A cheaply filled seat must be better than an empty one....

Is this retarded?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

moflika posted:

Not sure where to post this, but if I'm flexible on my fly out date and willing to sit around for a few days, would it be possible to get a last minute cheap seat on an international flight?

I see empty seats all the time on international flights and wonder if by hanging around the check-in desk (non-creepishly) and shooting the poo poo with the desk staff I could get something after a while. I'd have more or less nothing to check in (just a carry-on, so I can move quick) and would only aim for economy class, of course. A cheaply filled seat must be better than an empty one....

Is this retarded?

You're talking about flying standby. It used to be way easier and cheaper than it is now, but the airlines caught on and now charge more normal rates for it. I am unsure if any still allow international standby.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

moflika posted:

Is this retarded?

Retarded? No. Plausible? Not really. International standby is almost unheard of these days and that is mostly due to a lack of discounted fares available that close to the flight time. Waiting until the last minute will find you in full fare territory quite often, not to mention the hassle of doing it because most countries will not let you in on a one-way ticket without a return ticket booked (unless you're on a particular visa). It's simply not a sound way to find savings on airfare.

If you'd care to saunter down to the Saving Money On A Plane Ticket thread and post the details you're looking at, I'm more than happy to look around for you.

moflika
Jun 8, 2004

What initiation?

Well, for starters, you have to purify yourself in the waters of Lake Minnetonka...
Grimey Drawer
Cool, I remember seeing that thread, but wasn't sure if it was still around. Thanks!

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
What is everyone's best recommendations for travel related iPhone apps? Seen a few floating about but I'm bored and want to see a few more!

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Hostelworld
FlightAware
Skyscanner
Google Earth
XE Currency
Your bank's internat banking app
Osmos
Hexagon
Zen Bound 1/2

Also:
Apps for reading stuff on long journeys:
Pocket and then go to Longform.org and longreads.com and just go through page after page marking poo poo to read on long bus trips
Cracked
Toucharcade

And get an adventure game like Broken Sword or Beneath a Steel Sky (and if you're an idjit, you can probably save a gamefaqs faq to Pocket app for the relevant game) and get a couple endless runners. Jetpack Joyride for instance, or Temple Run if it floats your boat. There's a new one, Agent something or other that's just gone free. Snatch that up. Also Zen Bound is worth the cost. It's very, very good.

Remember, when travelling, aeroplane mode is your friend, and you can still use wifi in aeroplane mode. Remember to watch your brightness settings, don't sit in the sun with a full brightness setting when you can sit in the shade. Micromanaging your battery power is not silly, it's intelligent. I've been on 38 hour train rides and over 40 hour bus rides with no charge opportunities.

And of course, pick a nice Torch app, and don't be an idiot. Get Skype and Facebook. Your mother wants to know you're not a victim of anything but a few touts.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a quick question that I really don't think deserves it's own thread and relates to travel resources so I'll throw it in here.

I couple of weeks ago I got really frustrated with work and decided that I needed a vacation, so I scheduled one and impulse spent about $4k on a trip to South America for myself and a friend. Well, partly due to me being stuck on night shift every night for the past 3 weeks and because I'm a damned idiot and never really think about the logistics of stuff before I throw stupid amounts of money at it, I'm about 3 weeks out and I don't have a passport.

This morning on my first actual scheduled day shift I decided to do a little research into what I need to get done before I go, and I realize that 2-3 weeks is the absolute best I can hope for to get a passport in my hands if I get everything done tomorrow. I already have all of the paperwork I need, birth certificate, ID, filled out DS-11, just about all I need to do is go to a place that will turn pictures around same day and take it to the courthouse to have it sent out.

So I can do that, and pray to god that it gets here by Christmas, or I'm finding these sketchy "OMG FAST PASSPORT" websites around like https://fastportpassport.com and http://www.rushpassport.com. Are these places legitimate? Can I get my passport in 5-10 business days like it says or is this just some shady way for them to steal my identity?

Edit: I should also add that expediting fees for getting this done aren't an issue. I'm willing to pay what it takes to guarantee that my rear end is flying to South America on Christmas day.

belt fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 4, 2012

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

belt posted:

I have a quick question that I really don't think deserves it's own thread and relates to travel resources so I'll throw it in here.

I couple of weeks ago I got really frustrated with work and decided that I needed a vacation, so I scheduled one and impulse spent about $4k on a trip to South America for myself and a friend. Well, partly due to me being stuck on night shift every night for the past 3 weeks and because I'm a damned idiot and never really think about the logistics of stuff before I throw stupid amounts of money at it, I'm about 3 weeks out and I don't have a passport.

This morning on my first actual scheduled day shift I decided to do a little research into what I need to get done before I go, and I realize that 2-3 weeks is the absolute best I can hope for to get a passport in my hands if I get everything done tomorrow. I already have all of the paperwork I need, birth certificate, ID, filled out DS-11, just about all I need to do is go to a place that will turn pictures around same day and take it to the courthouse to have it sent out.

So I can do that, and pray to god that it gets here by Christmas, or I'm finding these sketchy "OMG FAST PASSPORT" websites around like https://fastportpassport.com and http://www.rushpassport.com. Are these places legitimate? Can I get my passport in 5-10 business days like it says or is this just some shady way for them to steal my identity?

Edit: I should also add that expediting fees for getting this done aren't an issue. I'm willing to pay what it takes to guarantee that my rear end is flying to South America on Christmas day.

Unsmooth for sure. Where are you located? Your best bet is to go to a local passport agency; a list of those is here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

You can use those services you linked to, but they're simply going to go through the same process and if you live in or near a location where Agency Center is located, I see no reason to let someone else be in control of all your personal information. Depending on where you're going in South America, you'll also need to be prepared to fork over some cash for entry visas.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

Unsmooth for sure. Where are you located? Your best bet is to go to a local passport agency; a list of those is here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

You can use those services you linked to, but they're simply going to go through the same process and if you live in or near a location where Agency Center is located, I see no reason to let someone else be in control of all your personal information. Depending on where you're going in South America, you'll also need to be prepared to fork over some cash for entry visas.

I'm in Nebraska, so it looks like the closest agency near me is Chicago, IL. It's a solid 9 hours away.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

belt posted:

I'm in Nebraska, so it looks like the closest agency near me is Chicago, IL. It's a solid 9 hours away.

Firstly, get the hell out of Nebraska. ;) Secondly, one of those rush passport places is really your only option, but you're going to be spending hundreds of dollars in overnight shipping. Get friendly with your local FedEx office.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

I walked into the American embassy in Perth, Australia, and showed them my American citizen of foreign birth form and my licence and was holding a brand new, plastic smelling, patriotic as gently caress U.S. passport within seven working days.

Can't he go to his local courthouse and pay a wee bit ($100) more to expedite? Or is Nebraska more a backwater than Australia?

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Helmacron posted:

I walked into the American embassy in Perth, Australia, and showed them my American citizen of foreign birth form and my licence and was holding a brand new, plastic smelling, patriotic as gently caress U.S. passport within seven working days.

Can't he go to his local courthouse and pay a wee bit ($100) more to expedite? Or is Nebraska more a backwater than Australia?

US Embassys have the facilities to handle that abroad. In the US, only certain federal offices can do it, and most courthouses (even the federal ones) are not included in that. Moreover, it is expected that one who is traveling internationally would put some thought into it and not be in this predicament in the first place. :)

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

Firstly, get the hell out of Nebraska. ;) Secondly, one of those rush passport places is really your only option, but you're going to be spending hundreds of dollars in overnight shipping. Get friendly with your local FedEx office.

Yeah, I agree with getting out of Nebraska :D

I ended up just going with the normal expedited passport process through my local courthouse. They say it takes 2-3 weeks and it was mailed in exactly 21 days before I fly out to Ecuador. The lady at the courthouse told me I'd probably have it in about 10 days. So this is the point where I hope to god she is right and pray for a passport in the next couple weeks.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

Do not stress. Ecuador will always be there. You can always get more money. Check your ticket policies for refunding terms. Don't crowd the mailbox.

I always do poo poo like this. It's awesome. It's like free climbing on caffeine. I got to the Nepal/India border with no money and just walked through the border crossing, got money out at an ATM in Nepal, then walked back through and went through exit and entrance immigration. Don't stress. Travelling is flexibility.

Although yeah. Passports are pretty necessary. But I call this a good start!

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
Maybe I'm wrong but I always had heard that calling your Congressperson (House, not Senate) was a good option in a situation like this

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I just took a 2 night overnight Amtrak trip, as well as a couple trips between Portland, Seattle, and Vancouver BC. I notice there's no Amtrak thread, would there be any interested in an Amtrak megathread?

Shlank
Feb 16, 2007
Does anyone have advice on the best place to exchange for foreign currency? Am I better off doing it in the country or at a bank before I go? Or is there a good website for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Shlank posted:

Does anyone have advice on the best place to exchange for foreign currency? Am I better off doing it in the country or at a bank before I go? Or is there a good website for this?

Are you trying to get currency once you arrive at a place or change it back to US dollars upon return?