Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a quick question that I really don't think deserves it's own thread and relates to travel resources so I'll throw it in here.

I couple of weeks ago I got really frustrated with work and decided that I needed a vacation, so I scheduled one and impulse spent about $4k on a trip to South America for myself and a friend. Well, partly due to me being stuck on night shift every night for the past 3 weeks and because I'm a damned idiot and never really think about the logistics of stuff before I throw stupid amounts of money at it, I'm about 3 weeks out and I don't have a passport.

This morning on my first actual scheduled day shift I decided to do a little research into what I need to get done before I go, and I realize that 2-3 weeks is the absolute best I can hope for to get a passport in my hands if I get everything done tomorrow. I already have all of the paperwork I need, birth certificate, ID, filled out DS-11, just about all I need to do is go to a place that will turn pictures around same day and take it to the courthouse to have it sent out.

So I can do that, and pray to god that it gets here by Christmas, or I'm finding these sketchy "OMG FAST PASSPORT" websites around like https://fastportpassport.com and http://www.rushpassport.com. Are these places legitimate? Can I get my passport in 5-10 business days like it says or is this just some shady way for them to steal my identity?

Edit: I should also add that expediting fees for getting this done aren't an issue. I'm willing to pay what it takes to guarantee that my rear end is flying to South America on Christmas day.

belt fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

Unsmooth for sure. Where are you located? Your best bet is to go to a local passport agency; a list of those is here: http://travel.state.gov/passport/npic/agencies/agencies_913.html

You can use those services you linked to, but they're simply going to go through the same process and if you live in or near a location where Agency Center is located, I see no reason to let someone else be in control of all your personal information. Depending on where you're going in South America, you'll also need to be prepared to fork over some cash for entry visas.

I'm in Nebraska, so it looks like the closest agency near me is Chicago, IL. It's a solid 9 hours away.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mackieman posted:

Firstly, get the hell out of Nebraska. ;) Secondly, one of those rush passport places is really your only option, but you're going to be spending hundreds of dollars in overnight shipping. Get friendly with your local FedEx office.

Yeah, I agree with getting out of Nebraska :D

I ended up just going with the normal expedited passport process through my local courthouse. They say it takes 2-3 weeks and it was mailed in exactly 21 days before I fly out to Ecuador. The lady at the courthouse told me I'd probably have it in about 10 days. So this is the point where I hope to god she is right and pray for a passport in the next couple weeks.