Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

JEEVES420 posted:

agreed

The shop said $190 to install it which sounds fine to me for avoiding a headache and a lot of cussing.

My Rubicon does not have the Rubicon Decals on the hood. It is a Rubicon as it has a 6 in the 6th spot of the vin and has all of the Rubicon parts. This leaves me with two questions; Did Jeep ever make a Rubicon without the Decal or tm I just driving one that someone removed them? and Would you put the Rubicon Decals on the hood or leave them off?

My uncle's lj came from the factory without the rubicon decals. He got it used from a carmax and they didn't even know it was a rubicon. He got the factory build sheet from Chrysler and the decal delete was listed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Alright fellas....is there anything wrong with a Liberty? A local dealership has an awesome looking liberty sport 4wd with only 75k miles. The fleet manager of this big dealership network owes me a favor for helping them out with something, and he's willing to cut me a nice deal on something. It has the 3.7L, and looks to get around the same fuel mileage of my 08 escape (around 22ish mpg).

I'm going to stop by the dealership at 5 to take a gander at it, and he's probably going to let me take it home for an evening.

My girlfriend has a KK Liberty. She averages about 17mpg in mixed, but mostly fast freeway, driving. It's been an okay vehicle. No major complaints. For what it is it did a respectable job off-road when we took it to the desert. We are probably going to be trading it in on something that gets better mileage in the near future.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
School me on adjustable control arms. I've got a 03 Rubicon with a 4.5 in lift. It's on stock control arms now. I've been looking at adjustable units and many of them seem the same. The shop I went to recommended Teraflex but they look the same as Rokmen or Currie and cost $400 more. Is that extra cost worth it? The JKS are the only ones that look substantially different than the other options but once again they are $400 more than the Rokmen. Thoughts on the issue?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Kastivich posted:

School me on adjustable control arms. I've got a 03 Rubicon with a 4.5 in lift. It's on stock control arms now. I've been looking at adjustable units and many of them seem the same. The shop I went to recommended Teraflex but they look the same as Rokmen or Currie and cost $400 more. Is that extra cost worth it? The JKS are the only ones that look substantially different than the other options but once again they are $400 more than the Rokmen. Thoughts on the issue?

Bumping this back up since it didn't get any responses. Anyone have any thoughts on control arms. Im leaning towards the Rokmen units now.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Tadhg posted:

This might belong in the Stupid Questions thread, but I don't want to get a cigarette flicked at me. :ohdear:

Took care of my rear hatch problem, and was checking the fluids and tires when I noticed this dangling in front of my driver's front wheel:

I have no loving clue what this mystery box is, or where it came loose from. I can't seem to find any place for it to clip in or nest.

It has just these two connections, by my driver's headlight. What the hell is this, and how should I secure it?

Looks like the ballast for an hid headlight. It just needs to be secured somewhere where it won't be exposed to water.

Edit to clarify, it looks aftermarket so there probably isn't a "place" to reattach it. So just find the best place you can and use strong double sided tape or zip ties.

Kastivich fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Mar 31, 2013

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Tadhg posted:

One of them was out when I bought the Jeep, and I still need to get around to replacing the bulb, so I still have no idea if I like hid lights or not.

The one that works is crazy bright, though. :v:

It's crazy bright and probably blinding oncoming drivers. For the sake of everyone else on the road, just go back to some high quality stock bulbs (and a wiring harness if you want maximum performance from them).

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

I also noticed that I'm rubbing quite a bit at full flex. I'm hitting one of the bolts for what I think is the power steering pump? Also rubbing on the sway bar and the top of the coil springs. To fix this: spacers or wheels with a highers back spacing?

Out of curiosity, what size tires/wheels are you running?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

33x12.5x15 - I'm not sure exactly on the wheels, they're 15" by probably 8", made by Ion. I think my lift is 4" but I'm not positive.

I run 285/76x16s (a little taller and narrower than your 33x12.5) on my TJ with 4in of lift and stock Moab wheels. I only get a bit of rub at full stuff and when cranking the steering wheel hard to one side. I've considered spacers or new rims but I dont get enough rub to be overly concerned about it. I think if I was hitting as many things as you seem to be I would be strongly considering spacers or new rims.

And thanks for the info on Corral Canyon, I hadn't heard of it and will need to check it out.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

RagingHematoma posted:

I had been interested in getting a Jeep Liberty for some time. I always liked the look of the car and how it retained a lot of the classic Jeep styling. I held off on purchasing one because of the impending redesign which became the new Cherokee. I don't like anything about the new Cherokee so I decided to see what lease options were still available for 2012 Libertys. I found that you can get these at pretty bargain basement prices (Jet Edition). However every review I read says it is an aging platform not worth the money followed by a bunch of Liberty diehards saying the reviewers are wrong.

Is it a bad move going with this Jeep? I plan to test drive, but does anyone own one in this thread? Is it horrible to drive? This will be my first SUV due to needing some extra room. I also have a 1 hour work commute in the Northeast and it will be nice to have something that can handle the winters. I really want to get a Jeep and I don't see any other option from them other the Grand Cherokee which is a bit too big and expensive for me.

There was one in our family before trading it in on something more fuel efficient. It was a decent vehicle for what it was. Definitely more off road capable than most other small SUVs. She had the 2WD/full-time/4L system which did great for the limited off-roading we did with it. Obviously it wasn't going to do the same things as my Rubicon but in the desert it was certainly good enough. The after market on the KK Liberties is pretty limited, so keep that in mind if you plan on modifying it.

Overall I found it to be reasonably comfortable and reasonably quiet, with a not good but not awful 17-20 mpg (not bad, at least compared to my Rubicon).

I think we got rid of it at 40k miles with nothing really going wrong during that time.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Tadhg posted:

^^^ That's looking gorgeous. How does the tinting on the turn signals work in practice?

In other news, I had my first (and hopefully last) fire start under my hood tonight. I had skipped reverting my hid lights back to stock this weekend in favour of going camping. "I'll just take care of them next weekend, when my upgrade cooling parts are due to arrive. What's the worst that can happen?" :downs:

The ballast had apparently heated up and melted through the zip ties holding it in place, causing it to fall loose again. That in turn pulled on the bulbs on my driver side, putting the hot bulb in direct contact with plastic in the housing. The end result was smoldering, smoking plastic that I smelled when I got home and parked.

I disconnected the battery and (with some persuasion) pulled the loose bulbs away from the plastic that they were melting into and set them on the metal frame, and cooled the smoking plastic down with a damp rag. The good news is that the housing is salvageable, and wasn't too badly damaged. The bad news is that I can't wait for this weekend to change these loving lights out.

I also don't have a complete picture of what I'm doing to remove the ballast + hid lights and revert to stock. I've replaced lights in cars plenty of times, but have never hosed with the harness before. My Haynes guide doesn't really say/show much and the ZJ service pdf manual floating around doesn't actually have the engine bay electrical section. Is it just a matter of switching the bulbs, unplugging the ballast, and reconnecting the wires bridged by the ballast? Or is it more complicated then that?

It's going to depend on how the previous owner did the modifications. If they used a new wiring harness it should just be un-plug and play. The old wiring should be intact and acting as the trigger for the hids. Hopefully they didn't cut any writing to make the connection to the hids.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

My spring had come unseated. I borrowed a coil spring compressor from the parts store and fixed it. When my shocks are fully extended the spring is siting there limp. It needs to be about two inches longer to stay in contact with top and bottom. Do I go with longer springs or shorter shocks?!?

Weird timing. I was out on a trail today and decided to take a look while the front was flexed out. The driver's side spring was unseated from the top. First time I had seen it do that. The extended bump stop seemed to be keeping it in the right place though and when weight came back on it everything reseated correctly.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Sharp_angus posted:

So now that it's finally spring-ish weather up where I am, I'm looking at running door-less and such...

Problem is that when the doors are out, the dome light comes on. I know to pull the fuse, but that defeats some functions of my alarm system so I'd rather not do that.

I've seen on Quadratec, some spring things that keep the light switch in the door frames pushed in, but I also notice the switches themselves have threads on them.

Would something similiar to a valve stem cap work in that situation? Those spring things are really obvious looking and I don't know if they'd rattle themselves loose.

Quadratec also sells a switch you can use in place of that fuse. Switch closed acts normal. Switch open acts like the fuse removed. You could also make one yourself pretty easily with a switch, in line fuse holder, and a couple of spades terminals.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Animal posted:

I think I am getting bad MPG, even for a TJ. Its a 6 cyl automatic, 2004 Wrangler X, stock. Getting about 13mpg, which is a bit low for city driving. Problem is most of my driving is highway driving, which should be giving me around 18. It has a new air filter and the tires are the right PSI. Overdrive is on. I dont really slam the pedal in, I try to let the car slowly ease into 70mph. Anything else that could be going wrong?

That does sound low, I have a 03 TJ with 6 cyl, automatic, 4.10 gears, and 33's. I get 11-12 mpg off-road, 14-16 in mixed driving, and 16-17 while towing my little off-road trailer. I can only attribute the increased MPG to lower freeway speeds. You might consider getting an OBD reader. It may help you track down your issue. I would probably start by taking a look at the spark plugs to see what they can tell you about the way your engine is running.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Braincloud posted:

We took it up to Koke'e as well, but that was paved. I did notice the constant smell of burning brakes from other rentals (cars and jeeps) who didn't realize they would have an easier descent if they just shifted their slushbox into low gear.

Thats funny, we were there a few weeks ago. On the way down we actually pulled over because the smell of burning brakes was so strong I thought there was something wrong with our rental. Turns out it was the van in front of us burning up their brakes.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

I went up to big bear for the JK-forum's Topless for Tata's charity event that my friend was sponsoring. Was planning on doing John Bull but didn't want to be in line with 30 jeeps. Next time I'll just sit in line, meet some new people and make a day of it!

I thought this was a pretty cool shot. My buddy's JK coming up a rock.

This trail is Mottino Wash (Also known as Sidewinder trail) in Yucca Valley, near Big Bear in Southern California. It's basically 1.5 miles of rock crawling, with about 2-300 feet between obstacles. It's fun to run trails like this, but it really shows where your Jeep needs some work :shobon:

I made it up this obstacle last time without a locker, but flash floods had changed the trail over the last year. I couldn't make it this time even with a front locker. I feel like my AT tires are finally starting to show their limits, and it's time for something more aggressive.

Here's me coming up to it, I got my front up but it just wasn't happening.

My casualties this weekend include a smooshed in muffler, bent to poo poo front diff guard and a bent stock tie-rod. Luckily I have a heavy duty set that I've been meaning to install.

Things I "need"
- More aggressive tires for better grip and less slip (~$900)
- rear diff guard to protect from crunching (~$70)
- Slip yoke eliminator to gain another inch in the belly and help protect from high-centering (~$450 w/shaft)

Are you running 33s currently? I thought about running that trail a few weeks ago but the videos I watched were not encouraging considering I was only going with one other person. By diff guard do you mean something like the AEV diff slider, or just heavy duty diff covers?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

kastein posted:

Do yourself a favor and get some RuffStuff diff covers instead of guards. Way stronger. I make gravel and shred tree stumps with my front diff cover and it's barely scratched.

I was considering getting something like this: http://www.aev-conversions.com/shop/category/skid-plates/jk-slider-differential-skid-plate.html
But I already have Crane diff covers on both ends. The AEV is a nice addition because it protects the Axle end joint.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Yes, I'm on 33s currently. I'd like to move up to 35s but that seems to be the move that takes way more money to do right. There's a bunch of other little stuff that seems like it plinks away until you've spent a thousand dollars on top of the price of tires. Speedometer gear, brake upgrades, axle shafts, gearing.

This is the skid plate that got beat to poo poo. I thought it was pretty sturdy looking when I got it, but I think I'll upgrade eventually to something more like what Kastein recommended. I don't have anything on the rear diff yet, so I'll probably get a ruffstuff cover for the back pretty soon.

The trail is a TON of fun, but I got stuck twice and was definitely glad that there were more capable jeeps there to pull me out. Most everything has some type of bypass, but sometimes the bypass isn't a whole lot easier than the obstacle.

I'm going in for new tires this Friday. 285/75-16 MT/Rs to replace my existing tires which are the same just first generation versions. I considered going to 35s but just couldn't justify the additional expense of all those items you described.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Another beautiful weekend in Big Bear! I wish this had come out in better quality. I cropped a panorama.

What trail was this? It looks nice.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

She done busted. Time for some beefier control arm mounts :frogon:

e: Ordered from Artec - looks like it will be a good first weld project for me :) It's all been bolt-on up til now! I think my buddy that knows how to weld should probably be the one doing the welding though, doesn't seem like a good way to test a new welders welds.

Is it just the picture or does that control arm have no room to rotate in the mount? I guess what I'm asking is, how does that control arm move as the suspension cycles?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

The bushings are a sort of reverse hourglass, so the arm has a little room to move when the jeep flexes. It's come to my attention that these aren't the greatest design, and also probably at least part of the reason the mount broke. I may get something with a Johnny Joint or similar whenever I come up with some spare $$$ and don't have any other projects.

which will be in a million years :shobon:

Interesting, thanks. I recently replaced all of my control arms with Savvy units. Their performance has been impressive.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
They are definitely trick. I also had the JJ conversion done on the front axle top control arm mounts. It cost about as much to do just those arms as many complete lift kits.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

MidasAg posted:

I was just wondering what the opinion is on the 04-06 TJ Unlimited, or LJ, is. I am thinking about getting one in the spring, and starting my research now. I think they look a lot better than a short wheelbase Jeep, and I'll be damned if I get a 4-door Jeep. It would be a 4.0 auto, 3-4' lift at max, and mostly used as a weekend warrior.

The only downside I see with an LJ, and especially a Rubicon LJ, is the difficulty in finding them in decent condition for less than stupid money.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Chef Bromden posted:

I'm waiting a few more weeks before I resume my search. I'm also trying to figure out somewhere besides Craigslist to get leads for wranglers. Too many people trying to sell rusted out frames for $1k over the book value.

Jeep Forum and Wrangler Forum are good places to search, but it doesn't tend to be cheap because people know what they have there.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

jonathan posted:

We have a lot of trails where its off camber and you're side hilling for long distances. I find the sway bar keeps the lean angle in check. Other than that, there are a lot of rough sections followed by the nicest maintained gravel roads you will ever see. Like 85mph on cruise control.

I dont know. I will start by cleaning up the module and electrical connectors.

Currie Anti-rock is quite good at maintaining weight transfer while not limiting flex to a significant degree. The ORO SwayLoc with remote release is also an option if you have money to throw at it.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

Have you looked at any prices? I don't even know how much someone would charge to weld in something like the Poly Performance cage. Is $3k a ballpark figure for the cage + labor + rattlecan paint totally inaccurate?

$3k seems seems a bit high to me. The shop I go to has quoted me about $1,700 to do the Poison Spyder sport cage and $300-400 more to do the Poly because of the extra work going through the dash.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

That's not too bad. Maybe I'll ask around to see what people throw out. Considering you have to strip out basically the entire interior to weld in the full Poly cage, I'm guessing people here will quote me a lot more than that though.

Good thing about ORFab style cages is I can install it myself.

[edit] I found another account of how a sports cage managed to hold up, this one without floor tie-ins, on a TJ: http://www.stu-offroad.com/guards/sportbar/roll-4.htm

Aren't you in So. Cal? The prices I got was from JeePerformance in Yucaipa. No one would accuse them of being the cheapest place but they do good work.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

tuna posted:

Okay, thanks :) I just presume everything is super expensive here nowadays, it cuts down on disappointment. Nice to be proved wrong.

Its worth giving Stan (the owner) a call. He can at least give you prices on the options for cages. I lean heavily towards the Poly cage myself too. Through the dash just looks much cleaner than the flat pieces by the dash.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

SBJ posted:

In my infinite wisdom I used aircraft engine coolant for my TJ as that's all I had available and I didn't think it would make much of a difference in a pinch.

My radiator looks like a chestburster came out of it. I ordered an aluminium one instead of lovely plastic and it arrived today. I'm going to attempt to install it myself tomorrow to save money. Any good write-ups or videos you guys can recommend? What's a good coolant I can buy in Australia?

e: it's a 2003 4L TJ. Automatic unfortunately.

Stu's website may be helpful: http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/radiator/radiator-1.htm

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

giundy posted:

Any JK owners with a Procal here willing to send it off for a couple weeks? I'd cover shipping. Got some sport take offs cheap on CL, I'd like my dash to be accurate. It is impressive the size difference between the base 29s and 32s. Now just to sell the 29s on steelies.

And no, 4 tires do not fit in the back of a 2 door with the top up.

My understanding is that the procal only works on one jeep at a time. The owner would need to reset their vehicle for you to use it. And you would need to do the same before sending it back.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Does anyone have beadlocks or beadlock recommendations? The options available in 16x8 with a 4.5 in backspace are pretty limited. I'm considering going custom with rings added by OMF but its hard to get a price out of them as to what the conversion would cost.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

mattfl posted:

New Jeep stuff!!

Crawler Conceptz Stinger, poison spyder fairlead light mount and 2 new cube LEDS for the bumper. Install will start tomorrow!

Careful, your heavy steal bumper is FRAGILE.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

mod sassinator posted:

So I've noticed something weird with my XJ, every now and then it will take a little longer than normal to fire up and start. The starter is cranking fine but it doesn't seem to be catching and firing up as quickly as normal. Over time it seems to be getting worse and taking longer to start. Maybe 2-3 weeks ago I would notice starting took an extra half second or two. Now today I noticed starting took maybe 2-3 seconds of cranking. This doesn't happen with every start, and I'm not sure it happens with cold vs. hot starts (will be on the lookout for it).

It's a '99 XJ at ~190k miles with the 4 liter and an auto transmission. Spark plugs and distributor were done maybe 20k miles ago. Starter was replaced about a month ago (and it cranks fine). Fuel system I really haven't touched at all in the 5 years I've owned the car.

Any ideas what I might want to look at or could test for? My suspicion is maybe fuel pump, but I dunno. Is there a way to test it? I'm hoping I can fix whatever it is before the car strands itself somewhere.

This sounds just like the symptoms my tj had. I ended up replacing the fuel pressure regulator (sometimes listed as the fuel filter in parts diagrams). Symptoms cleared up right away after replacing it.

Try doing the poor man's prime by cycling the key to the run position a few times before cranking to see if it starts easier.

Get a fuel pressure gauge if you want to get a better look at what is happening.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

Another LA Jeep guy. There's a bunch of us and we should meet up. I'd reboot the SoCal AI thread again but it always dies so fast.

I was thinking of going to Azusa Canyon to play in the dirt as soon as I get my lift installed soon.

I'd be interested in doing this. I'm in the IE.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

BoostCreep posted:

Rather than starting another SoCal AI post, anyone interested in a wheeling meet, join the SoCal AI facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/socalai/

I'll start a thread there so we can discuss and plan.

That link doesn't work and my FB search was unproductive. Can you check the link?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

EightBit posted:

Anyone know what range the throttle position sensor readout in Torque should have for a 2000 TJ 4.0? I'm getting 14% to 77%, foot off the pedal and wide open, respectively.

My 2003 TJ is also somewhere around these values. Even opening the throttle fully by hand didn't push it over the ~76-77% throttle position sensor reading.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

I blew up my rear diff today. Dana 44. I was going up a ledge and bounced a little too much. I heard a crack clank clunk and I backed off a little. I tried to get to the bypass and the sounds got worse. The gear oil started to pour out of the hole in the front underside of the pumpkin, where evidently some gear pieces decided to exit. I was halfway in to a one mile black diamond trail that I had done a few times before, so I was kinda in a tough spot. Luckily my buddy was able to come bail me out withhis jeep and trailer. So now I have a couple of options:

Buy an 8.8 from the junkyard, add an artec TJ truss and brackets, slap it in. Not sure if these come in 3.73 or not, but I know some of them have disk brakes so it would at least be a decnt upgrade.

If its not too beat up - fix the hole, regear the axle and replace whatever is hosed on my Dana 44

Opinion from the goons ?

Out of curiosity, what trail did this occur on?

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
Black Magic pads and Centric rotors get reviewed very positively for a low cost upgrade.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

I just pulled up the back tub carpets in my TJ, the bottom and the two wheel well covers - Looks like it's going to take me a while to get all of that trail dust out of there. I'm going to take them to the self service carwash and spray them until they run clean, then air dry them on my balcony. I'm thinking I'll start with high pressure spray, then engine degreaser/tire shine foam, then foam brush, then high pressure rinse again. I'll probably skip the turtle wax. I'll bet I can get it done in under $3 time.

On second though, using the brush is probably a huge dick move with all that dirt.

I just pulled and cleaned the carpet in mine too. That desert dirt gets everywhere.

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

:raise:

I'm not seeing anything worrisome in the "silicon" row but the increased lead makes me want to dump the K&N air filter after all.

Pretty much every oil test of my TJ shows elevated silicon. They advise me to check my intake for leaks. I assume it is from the super fine desert dirt. I just sent another sample out today with a couple of solid off road trips. We will see what it looks like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kastivich
Mar 26, 2010
I've got a shimmy (not quite death wobble) that I just cant get rid of on my TJ Rubicon. I had a shop look at it. They recommended re-balancing the tires, noted some play in the track bar, and slight wear in an upper ball joint. I had them re-balance the tires. Replaced the track bar with a MetalCloak unit and did an at-home alignment to reset toe. It is better but still shows up on some roads. It is really frustrating and I am running out of patience to find whatever the problem is. Im afraid my MT/Rs may be the problem but they only have like 8k miles on them.