Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

ONE OF US ONE OF US ONE OF US

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
So I bought a thing today. 1990 Comanche with a 1994 4.0 HO swapped in and ax-15 manual transmission. Came with a metric fuckton of spare parts. Rust repair on the rockers, front passenger caliper, and parking brake will be fixed first.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

This is what the CL listing said:

quote:

Hi CL,
Here is my beloved truck I'm feeling out, it is my third comanche, I am only the second owner.. have a carfax report to prove it.. However the previous owner used it to boat with and its certainly no spring chicken, typical rust on rocker-pannels and so forth, if that bothers you--then don't bother, this is a truck. not a drat showcar.. its meant for using. the original motor blew soon after I got the truck and I swapped out the renix for a 94 engine from a cherokee I had, I do all my own work and have invested much blood, sweat, and $ into it, she runs strong, has new (mopar)cps, Great Exide gel cell battery, new 120 amp alternator, new starter, brown-dog poly engine mounts, replaced the heater core while doing the swap(nice and hot for the winter), 99+ equal length intake manifold, K&N intake with an AEM dryflow filter, new water pump, dual core radiator with twin turbine fans(deleted clutch fan, also all but the a/c compressor has been removed, has vent windows instead :), port-matched exhaust runners and aftermarket header along with new magnaflow cat and ultrraflow welded muffler(new O2 sensor), msd blaster coil, new champion copper plugs and custom THICK wires, dual diaphragm brake booster, rugged ridge wheel spacers, BFG mud terrains with decent tread left, 2.5-3 inch lift, skyjacker nitro's in the rear(front could use new shocks), sony head unit with usb and ipod support, polk marine component front speakers, toneau cover, plastic bedliner and rubber bed-mat. I'm tired of listing things but the list goes on.. bunch of spare parts such as a factory Dana 44 with trac-loc diff(needs to be re-assembled), brushguard etc. that can come with it depending...(Im also willing to sell these items separate) this is my daily driver currently, the mileage is on the higher end but I have no doubts about taking trips in it, the 4.0 and AX-15 are as reliable as a woodstove.(four wheel drive does not work currently due to the typical vacuum issue(I was just going to replace the axle with a newer non vacuum disconnect unit) I recently quit my job, need money, and am just looking to get into something else, my loss your gain :( these are incredible uni-body pickups and are only getting harder to find:: price is OBO, open to certain trades(NO AUTOMATICS, NO PROJECTS - MUST RUN) interested in ef civic hatchbacks, 3rd gen preludes, eg civics, diesel stuff, enduros, dualsports, standards,
and of course possibly other vehicles... if your interested--lemme know what ya got, worst case is I'm not interested ;)

Leaving in about 25 minutes to go pick it up.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

^^^^^^^^ Well said Ken!

99% of the rust you see is just surface rust. There are only a couple tiny holes that will be easy to fix. All the other stuff that Kastein said, yeah easy fixes.

It made it home just fine from Jersey, though I ate at a diner there on the way back and my stomach is killing me.

Pictures:

And Kastein, the pictures I told you I'd take for ya:

iForge fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Oct 2, 2014

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Horse Divorce posted:

It appears we found step 1 on your "things I need to fix" list.

I'm jealous, always wanted an MJ. But in less than 2 weeks I'm going to be picking up a J10 that I think has been used as a donor. God help me.

Its just the power steering pump reservoir cap. P/O said he couldn't find a replacement anywhere but found people on the internet using a redbull can and a hose clamp. I'm cool with leaving it alone for now.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Went to change the fluid in my diffs and found this on the rear, guess im not going anywhere till I get new spiders from the junkyard... 5 teeth broken, several others in bad shape.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Shiny new spider and side gears for my D35 came today so I put them in, installed the back right wheel cylinder I bought yesterday, replaced a brake line, filled both diffs with gear oil and went for a test drive. I need to fix the adjusters on the rear drums but the MJ drives great with the new gears. Tomorrow I'll fix the brakes, put the dash back together, install the new interior lights I bought, and maybe work on rust/paint.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

kastein posted:

D35s are too easy to eliminate to be left in any offroad vehicle and anyone who gets butthurt and says they are just fine either hasn't got a clue what they're on about or has dumped a stupid amount of money into keeping theirs alive. I saw one idiot put THREE THOUSAND DOLLARS into a d35 and man did he ever get mad... he made a thread whining about how it kept breaking on 33s and wanted to know what to put in it to make it stop and we all told him he was a retard and to put a 29 spline 8.25 in instead, because those handle 33s with stock axleshafts and a lunchbox locker. Instead he ignored us and threw another 400 or 500 bucks into fixing his polished turd again because he didn't want to waste all the money he had "invested" in it. I call this stockaxle syndrome, it is a close relative of stockholm syndrome.

Goddamn, I thought it was bad that I have $150 in my D35

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

MJ is the only answer.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Found on facebook. :bravo:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Regular car batteries aren't designed to be discharged completely and you most likely need a new battery. Get your hands on a voltmeter if you don't own one. On the DC voltage setting you should read 12 volts between the two battery posts when the engine is off and around 14 when it is on. These numbers can be a bit higher but you don't want lower. Alternatively you can take the battery to Autozone or somewhere else that offers free testing. The whirring is probably your fuel pump as the guy above me said.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Encountered this beautiful truck yesterday. The interior was stunning.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

What Ken said is correct. I ordered 5/29/15 and was lied to for a little over 2 weeks until I was finally told on 6/15/15 that they wouldn't ship for 3 more weeks because they didn't have the carcasses to make them. Took me 2 more days to get someone on the phone who could cancel my order, and as of 7/1/15 I had not gotten the refund that I was told would happen either the 18th or the 23rd. I contacted the BBB and they told me that Treadwright was unreachable or out of business, so I called my bank and they are supposedly getting my money. I was told it would take 10 days for them to investigate and get the money back, but the guy assured me that they are on my side. Here is a link to their BBB page. 33 complaints in 3 years, 24 complaints in the last year. In short:

gently caress TREADWRIGHT

BBB posted:

Dear iForge :

This message is in regard to your complaint submitted on 7/1/2015 8:41:33 PM

Unfortunately, we aren't able to pursue this complaint because the business is either unreachable or appears to be out of business. Rest assured, the information you provided us has assisted in the information that we give to the public regarding this business.

If you wish to pursue this issue further, you may wish to contact a legal advisor, the Attorney General's office or your local police department. Thank you for your interest in an ethical marketplace. If you have any questions about this issue, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

The Dispute Resolution Team

iForge fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Jul 8, 2015

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

The 4.7 is a ticking time bomb with oiling issues to the two rear cylinders. They also have too loose a press fit of the valve seats into an aluminum head so once you overheat one, or maybe if you don't, it might drop a valve seat and gently caress up your day. Stay away IMO.

Whoops wrong generation for that engine, but gently caress the 4.7. I had a 5.2 for a couple years and it never did me wrong.

iForge fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 4, 2015

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Time to trade that thing in. Or rip it apart and install some updated/repaired heads.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

IIRC someone on SA posted this and claimed to know the owner. Would like to know if you know what aftermarket fender flares those are. Those would look great on my MJ and hide my terrible bondo work when I finish fixing the rust under my flares.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Crossposting from my own thread - I fixed the vacuum line on my WJ. P0171 hasn't come back, but it still has P0174 in some weird set-but-not-set state. It doesn't turn on the check engine light (the light still comes on during startup so I know it's not burnt out from overuse :haw: ). If you do the key cycle or pull codes with a scanner, P0174 is still there even though I've cleared it at least twice. I have two new O2 sensors waiting for me to get some time to put them in since they were dirt cheap (Denso) and I suspect the ones on it are Autozone parts. It runs fine so I'm still leaning towards vacuum leak more than O2 sensor but at least I'll be able to rule them out.

Any thoughts on where to look next on the 4.7?

Throttle plate shaft likes to wear out the aluminum around it and leak. Mine was a whistling so i dabbed some high vacuum grease in there and it was good. Have you checked the IAC? IIRC there is no IAC gasket, just a small o-ring, could be cracked. I replaced all the vacuum lines on mine as well. The line back by the firewall was the worst of them.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Last week while at work, I saw a J10 going up the road on a rollback. I fumbled for my phone at a red light and took a picture so I could find the towing company later and see what it's destiny was. I went to look at it today. Not good. I'll be going back to salvage the good/valuable parts off it before it gets crushed.

:barf:

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Horse Divorce posted:

Did the 93 4.0 block have a camshaft thrust plate? When I tore mine down, i was drunk and also neglected to take pictures. I'll be installing a crane cam soon and need to know if the thrust plate is necessary.

Mind if I make a few requests? Namely the side mirrors and the tailgate handle and plate? I'll give you 30 if you snag those for me.

I can promise you the mirrors. I am pulling the tailgate to re-sell whole, I don't want to have to try and sell an incomplete tailgate so I can't get you the handle and plate unless there is something really bad with the tailgate that I didn't notice. IIRC there is a spare set of mirrors in the bed, so do you want the best set or both setss to have spares?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Horse Divorce posted:

Just one set would be good. drat, I was really hoping to get that plate. Drop me an email at robert-j10@murderthon9000.com and we'll talk about those mirrors. And tell me what you want for the tailgate. My PO used mine as a license plate holder. Bastard.

I'm going there monday after work to pull parts. Some idiot attached a license plate to the tailgate with deck screws

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

EightBit posted:

The breather connector is broken off flush with the housing on my TJ's front D30. Recommended plan of action? I just discovered this today.

pretty sure they just press in the hole. thread a screw into it for some grip and pull it out, reinstall new.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I just bought a 2016 Chevy Colorado 'Midnight Edition' so I'll be selling my white MJ. I want to build a rally truck and there is no sense in swapping this one to a 2.5 2wd. Gonna sell the white one and buy one thats already slow.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

angryrobots posted:

I am seriously contemplating selling my MJ project (1987 2.5/ax4, plus wrecked 2000 4.0 4wd).

The MJ is a southern truck, very straight and rust free (one floorpan has pinhole). I dunno if it's ideal for a rally truck, but it is definitely OEM slow.

I don't know what your timeline is, but I have to sell the MJ before I pick up another one. I have 3 vehicles parked outside my apartment and one in storage. I don't have anywhere to put another one right now.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Astonishing Wang posted:

Kastein tool box is cursed

This.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I'm curious what you find the problem to be. I had the same issue with the 4.7 that was in my 2002 Ram. It only did it on hotter days, though. I replaced all sorts of parts and couldn't ever figure it out.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Abandoned my thread, Ill make a new one when this build starts. I bought a 2016 colorado a few months back to have as a DD so I can build the comanche. I have a lead on some cheap DOM tubing for the roll cage and slowisfast and I are figuring out the bender situation. I am keeping the 4.0 and running 2wd. It will get an 8.8 LSD rear. I am debating on keeping the existing ax15 with transfer case unless someone thinks that it won't stand up to the abuse. Not sure if I want to keep the front dana 30 with no driveshaft, or if I am going to swap in a beam front. Once I get logbooked, then I will be running NASA events until I get enough coefficient points to run the ex-rally america races. Going to repaint the truck red and do the truck up with archer brothers livery.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

I just bought a 4x4 sheet of 18 gauge and made my own pans, then sealed with seam sealer then spray on bedliner. Was pretty easy if you have a welder and an angle grinder to make the cuts. I suppose you can use snips, but a grinder makes quick work of it. The reason that they rot out isn't road salt. Your window seals go bad and the carpet gets soaked and holds moisture against the floor pan 24/7. I spent a couple hundred dollars on new window seals and it slowed the leaking but did not stop it. I guess the seals I bought weren't made right. It is going to have lexan windows soon because rally truck so I'll just caulk all the seams.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Towed the MJ down to Adiabatic's house this weekend.

End of an era, I'm no longer a jeep owner (for now)........

iForge fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jan 23, 2017

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

always be closing posted:

Badass! Looks remarkably low on rust. Does it still have an intact floorpan?

Look back in my post history in this thread for pics, it was bad. I cut the tiny bit that remained from the floor pans and welded in 16ga sheet metal.

I regret selling him that truck almost daily.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

FCA owns Motori now so itll likely come with the same anemic diesel that was in the liberty. I knew two people who had the diesel liberty and they were terrible, ymmv.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

If you have the clearance like I did, you can remove the 90 degree adapter, remove and install the threaded nipple into the block and run without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Philip J Fry posted:

How much clearance is there and how? Even a standard filter coming straight off the block would be maybe fractions of an inch from my frame rail, and that's being extremely confident in the condition of the engine mounts not allowing so much as the slightest wiggle.

I did that on my MJ with brown dog engine mounts, so YMMV. Ask Adiabatic for a pic if you want, he owns it now.