Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
My friend owns a jeep CJ with absolutely obscene sized tires, every time I ride in it I think I'm gonna get plastered against the road way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Why don't CJs have tachs? Frustrating.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

What would the Wagoneer's intention be? I can't think of what the market is for Land Rover aside from rappers and football stars.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

Heck, just this evening I overheard a couple of people in my building talking about the best place in the city to get their Range Rovers serviced. There's a market for luxury SUVs, absolutely.

I love luxury SUVs, I just don't like the people who buy them.

The only place to buy a Land Rover here is deep in the city, so I don't see many. Did see a G-Wagon though

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Sandbagger SA posted:

There is a serious power gap in the "faux wood paneling targeted towards boomers" market at the moment.

My grandpa owns a wagoneer and has had one as his daily driver since at least the 76

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Sandbagger SA posted:

You should post photos because waggys are awesome.

When I get out there again I will, I've got to drive like 400 miles though :v:!

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Was at the Jeep dealer with a friend

When did Wranglers get so expensive? They seemed way over what should be a simple mechanical design bare bones

Back to looking at XJs and CJs :v:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

mod sassinator posted:

Welcome to all modern cars. Even a Honda Civic starts at $18k and goes up from there fast.

I'd look at the TJ era Wranglers, they're kinda in the sweet spot of price and performance/reliability.

Look at this PAINT JOB though

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

When you're talking offroad, what is the best Jeep you can go modern, classic?

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 4, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

How about the FCA logo doing the :shrek:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I'm getting really mad looking for Jeeps on Craigslist. You want 25K for your 04 Wrangler Sport with no mods and 80K miles? Really?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Alright Jeep thread, I used to own an XJ (rip, sold for parts), but I'm getting back into the JEEP THING

I have a maximum budget of 7K, I want a car I can bounce offroad, but if I need to take it a few miles (Let's say, 50-100), should I go Cherokee, early 90's Wrangler, or other?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Sandbagger SA posted:

91 to 95 Wranglers or 97 to 99 if you value ride quality.

$7k? ehhh.... I don't know if you'll find something problem-free in that price range.

I hate all Jeep Wrangler owners. I'll look at an XJ :sigh:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

:(
What did we ever do but drive a cute convertible SUV?

92 WRANGLER CHEAP

WONT TURN OVER
BODY RUSTED OFF
NO FUEL TANK

$9000 o/b/o

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 30, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Also, with the 4.0L, what mileage should I say no sale if the body isn't rusted? The ones I've found out-of-state, not rusted all seem to exceed 180K miles

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 30, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Would I be dumb for buying a ZJ with 200K milage on the odometer. It has the 4.0L engine, it appears to have no rust but has some rocker panel damage and a cracked rear bumper.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Sorry for making this "HELP TOPHATS CHOOSE A JEEP" but what do y'all think of this? https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5199037463.html

I don't see any panel rust, so I'm actually interested

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Jeep whisperer :eyepop:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I personally identify as a Wagoneer

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

mattfl posted:

Jeeps are pretty popular with IT people apparently!

We all try and park together on Fridays, just because.

Is this why I can't find a cheap jeep

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Is there someone I can bounce various craigslist ads off of so I don't ruin the thread further?

IOwnCalculus posted:

We're remarkably light on Jeeps at my office. One other WJ and an SRT8 GC once in a while. There was a fairly modified XJ but he decided he didn't wheel it often enough.

Wow, that's remarkably accurate I think

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Astonishing Wang posted:

Post the ads here IMO - I love picking jeeps apart.

I'm TERRIBLE with used cars, I only know how to understand brand new vehicles, so feel free to call me an idiot!

I'm decent with a wrench but I don't want to devote 100% of my time to it

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ctd/5247850361.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ctd/5248994973.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/cto/5244929513.html

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/cto/5212776287.html

If you want to discuss more intimately, I'll be easiest to reach through steam or PMs http://steamcommunity.com/id/sadbaddad

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 2, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

The parts only one I don't remember copy pasting...huh. I've got bronchitis. I'll blame it on that.

Also this: http://duluth.craigslist.org/cto/5243974834.html

Feel free to look on MN/WI Craigslist for me though, since I suck :D

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Oct 2, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Faded Mars posted:

So I picked up a jeep finally.

2002 TJ Sport 5 sp standard with 177000km (about 110K miles) on it. $3000 CAD. Has some rust blisters on the fenders but honestly the best shape one I found in my price range. Hard and soft top included, also running boards (not attached obviously). Needs brake hard lines redone for safety inspection. I'm going to pick up the Omix Ada hard line kit from Amazon and hopefully have it insured and on the road sometime in the next week. :)

You found that for 2200 USD?

:suicide:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/ctd/5242970611.html

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 3, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/5223001586.html This is high, but what should I argue it down to if I can?

Also :eyepop: http://mankato.craigslist.org/cto/5214330377.html

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

In a few weeks it's looking like I might e able to get smug at everyone :shittydog:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Still Jeep searching :shepicide:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

My father and I are probably joining your elite ranks very soon. There's plans for a ZJ/XJ and my pops is looking at a CJ2 and a CJ5

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 26, 2015

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Great Beer posted:

Fs: 2002 jeep grand Cherokee. All original! Passed inspection in June, family owned. Needs alignment and paint touchups. $4250 firm

Welcome to my hell of finding one

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I did jeep stuff today and slammed into something in the trail and now it won't get into 4LO

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

EightBit posted:

Did you bend the shifter linkage that goes to the transfer case? What kind of Jeep did you eventually buy?

I was driving my friends Jeep :embarrassed:. It was a 98 XJ. After some jamming of the lever and made a loud "POP POP POW" and now it goes between 4LO 4HI and 2 without a problem. :shrug:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

When you guys take a gun at a steep hill with snow, what do you guys use? My friend says 3rd Gear 4 HI is the best if you get speed up. (XJ)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Astonishing Wang posted:

Im always in 4lo if its anything that I'm worried about getting over, or anything steep at all. That'll probably change when I get the dumb axles regeared though...

He said when he was in 4LO he wasn't getting enough power and when he was going up the hill it just spun spun spun on the ice, 4HI was what got it going. I'm still new to offroading! :)

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Krakkles posted:

That's backwards. The gearing in 4LO provides more (effective) power, which apparently just spun the wheels (probably due to poor throttle control). The taller gearing in 4HI reduced the power to the point that his throttle control wasn't an issue.

It's not to say it's invalid, as it got up the hill, but it's harder on the drivetrain, so I'd personally still go for 4LO with better throttle control.

I can't drive an XJ worth a drat, that thing has the touchiest pedal ever. Is that just me or does it genuinely have a touchy pedal?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Krakkles posted:

I don't think so, but my other car has an oversized V8, so I may not be the best judge.

Personally, I think they're much more responsive than newer cars, which is a good thing, but could lead to the feeling of them being "touchy". I can very easily hit and hold any RPM in neutral or any gear that will reach it in an XJ in 4LO.

The car I drive in the summer is an MGB which require insane amounts of go pedal to get moving

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

I'm trying to explain to a friend who wants to buy a wrangler the different trim levels...but I really don't know how. Could someone do a write up better than I could?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

So basically, get a stock Wrangler Sport if you want to play dress up, and go for a Wrangler Rubicon if you want something that is straight get up and go, with the Sahara being simple luxury and the other trim levels being random?

Also what does Sport S mean?

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Jeep pickup coming supposedly according to FCA

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

Maybe pedestrians should stop getting hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

-snip-

Top Hats Monthly fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Jan 17, 2016