Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

ManicJason posted:

Just put it on a lot. The top is going to be really hard to put on if it was folded up in a box or if it's cold at all. After awhile, you'll learn the easiest way to put it on (e.g. start this zipper, then tuck in this little plastic flap, then start the other zipper, put in this flap but make sure it is exactly this far to the right so this other part fits on). YJ tops are a bitch.

Is there ANY company that makes a windjammer that doesnt leave huge gaps around the sides? I bought a used one and it didnt do a goddamned bit of good, all it did was funnel all wind and water right at my left shoulder and ear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

I think the Cherokees have the same wheelbasee as the Wranglers, go pull a pair of 3.73 Axles from one or larger if you can find them

Plenty of YJs came with 3.73 or even 4.10s too...that'll widen your search a bit.

Edit: Look for a 4banger.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If it looks like a Cherokee that goes offroad (ie, quality work done, or a ton of mud) I'll wave. Otherwise I just assume its another soccermom grocerygetter.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ManicJason posted:

Another vote for yes. It's been six years since I did mine, and it looks like I need to retouch over the wheel wells. Other than that, it's held up great. It took a weekend of stripping out everything, scratching up the paint, using Xylene to poison myself, then rolling it on.

Plus I got to drive it from my driveway into my garage like this. Actually, I probably pushed it, but I'd like to think that I drove it for novelty value and maximum safety.

I drove mine like that. I drat near put it through the back wall, it was the most awkward position possible (cant stand because you cant get to the pedals). I wont do it again.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I'd say end of summer. Nobody buys a Wrangler for winter driving (if they do, they're not very bright).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Braincloud posted:

Wait...what? That's a load of crap. My TJ handles like a champ in the snow. And with a hardtop, it's still warm.

I could see people offloading their soft tops in the fall (wusses), but any Jeep owner who knows anything and lives in a place where there is inclement winter weather would keep it.

If you've got good tires for it, sure it'll handle fine in the snow. Its a blast! But on roads slick from ice or rain, your choice of tire is really going to make a difference whether you careen off the road or not. If you have a hard top its not too bad, but if you have a soft top it can be unbearable in cold weather.

When you really want to have the Jeep is spring and summer for the mud/trails/rocks.

When I sell mine (not anytime soon!) it'll be in the fall, when I can probably get a few extra bucks for having both tops.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Boomerjinks posted:

I've had these Sahara seats for almost a year, and they are really neat. They aren't all burny in the sun like vinyl, great styling, useful pouches on the back. But riddle me this: What the gently caress are the straps on the seat for?

They can go over the top of the seat and be used to fasten objects to the seats (or at least the upper half), and I assume that only a complete retard would use them as a restraining device.

Does anyone know what the specific intended purpose of these straps was? Are they just for looks with a little bit of odd use, or are they supposed to do a certain task really really well, as is the case with most jeep aspects?

I have no idea...what material are they? I'm trying to find something that's semi waterproof but not flesh melting, and also doesnt fade in a matter of weeks (neoprene!).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

A good day for transmissions. I changed my AX-5s fluid for what had to be the first time (112k miles). What came out was a little milky, but pretty thick compared to the MT-90 that replaced it. Shifting has dramatically improved...getting into first and second was kind of a pain before, but now its a piece of cake.

And yes, I removed the "DO NOT REMOVE" bolt, but no I didnt use that as a filler hole.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

You CAN get by with a D35 with 33s. That seems to be as big as most folks are willing to go without an upgrade.

You're gonna have no power on the highway though. And you still may have to replace the axle anyway, the D35 doesnt get its reputation out of nowhere.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Atticus_1354 posted:

I am rocking a d35 with 33" tires. But that is how I bought it and am well aware of the weakness. Just don't go throttle crazy and you will be fine. I also do fine on the highway. As long as you change your gear ratio you will be good. Also if you do have a d35 I recommend watching youtube videos of busted ones for an example of what not to do.

If you're willing to go through the hassle of changing gears, why not just change the axle while you're at it? Chances are when you DO upgrade the axle you'll have to change those gears too.

That's how I look at it, anyway. Just waiting for a cheap set of axles to show up on craigslist...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Absolutely take it off-road! Just watch your ground clearance, and dont try to ford the Mississippi River and you'll be just fine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

ethanol posted:

I just realized something. In two weeks, I have gone from wanting a $3000 car to a $3,000 yj to a $7,000 dana 44 equipped 4.0 tj to wanting a $300 budget booster and now a $750 suspension kit...

Seriously, you guys are poison.

Get used to it. My wish list is a lot bigger than my budget.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BEEP BEEP!

I didn't get the best deal, but I got what I wanted at close to the price I wanted, and with a better interest rate than I expected. So...ok.

I basically got this one (AC, hardtop, auto) for the price of the barebones models they had. This thing is night and day compared to my old YJ. When I sold that one, I knew I'd get another, but I figured I'd make it more than 2 years first.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ozmiander posted:

Color matched hard tops are nnnnnnngh..

Every 2-dr Sahara I saw at the dealership today had one.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Going by the market out here, 20k. :suicide:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Goddamn, I've got the window sticker for my '12 Sport right here...$25,900, and the fuel economy is 17/21 from the 3.6L.

Edit: Estimated annual fuel cost $3,086. :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If the 3 inch lift is a body lift and they're hard fiberglass spacers, inspect the tub where they make contact. Those kits can cause a lot of damage...if it's still intact (ie, the pucks havent broken through the floor) I'd just remove them and replace with something lower and get a real lift.

My YJ needed a fair amount of welding to fix the damage from one of those kits.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Whiskey posted:

IT' highly unlikely that it's a body lift on an XJ as they are uni-body. The XJ looks great and it looks like a good price. I wish that there were XJ's of that vintage with as low a price in my neck of the woods.

Ah, well there ya go. Good. Those body lifts are poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

From when I had my YJ, the consensus on jeepforum was 2k lbs max. Less if your hitch was part of the bumper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not even a penetrating oil. It's just better than nothing.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I took mine down a dirt road and a patch of thick (not deep) mud like 20 feet across. I can't wait to get this thing to Utah.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I just discovered that turning my dash illumination all the way past the last click turns on all the interior lighting, even if you're driving. Cool.

This has been the case on every car I've ever owned.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Saintfuzzled posted:

That is very sweet, you can never have enough space to throw stuff in.

I've been looking at buying a new Wrangler, just a Sport S with nothing too fancy. But I was wondering if anyone uses the soft top during the winter. It feels like I need the hardtop just to survive the winter (or at least, that's how the salesguy made me feel). Any thoughts or experiences on midwestern winters with soft tops?

Softtop in winter wasn't great in my YJ in Oklahoma. That was half-doors too. I paid 1500 for a CJ-something top and full doors that fit, and it was much better.

I don't think I'd pay the $2100 or so that quadratec wants for a hard top, but if I could find one used for 1500-1700 maybe. That said, I'm sort of talking out my rear end because A-I haven't had a winter in my JK yet and I'm moving to Utah in a few weeks anyway, and B-I got a hardtop.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

FYI newer Wrangler owners: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/21/jeep-recalls-nearly-68-000-wrangler-models-over-skid-plate-fi/. Recall for skid plate problem that can cause a fire.

This is so hosed up. It's not leaves in the skid plates that's the problem, it's the auto trans overheating. The same reason export Wranglers had to be equipped with a properly sized and located ATF cooler, whereas US models slid under the radar.

The recall is only for 2010 models, as 2011 and 2012 already have the same bar Chrysler will replace the skid plate with. 2011s have been catching fire, too. So have other models (Liberty, at least) that share the old auto (the 2012 has a different auto trans with a real cooler).

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

InitialDave posted:

I don't know, dried out foliage ignited by the cat sounds plausible. I've heard of that before, with people causing fires in long grass in the summer.

True, but it's not the cause of THIS problem. There are jeeps burning that don't have the plate, and the trans overheating is being investigated already.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

dangerz posted:

Got my gps data out from our trip. Full trail here: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=216018521289541106538.0004c1135c85218b6f6b6&msa=0&ll=33.232962,-97.79686&spn=0.010356,0.021136

I overlayed it with the trail map for the place we went to and then colored it in to see the type of trails we did. It was supposed to be a newbie day and they definitely stuck to the easier trails.

Summary
Total distance: 9.22 km (5.7 mi)
Total time: 2:49:03
Moving time: 1:16:01
Average speed: 3.27 km/h (2.0 mi/h)
Average moving speed: 7.28 km/h (4.5 mi/h)
Max speed: 36.04 km/h (22.4 mi/h)
Average pace: 18.33 min/km (29.5 min/mi)
Average moving pace: 8.24 min/km (13.3 min/mi)
Min pace: 1.66 min/km (2.7 min/mi)
Max elevation: 273 m (897 ft)
Min elevation: 216 m (708 ft)
Elevation gain: 229 m (751 ft)

What are you using to get this?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

commissargribb posted:

The 2.5L I4 which depending on who you ask is a gas saver.

Mine got 13 mpg with the 5-speed. Not what I'd call a gas saver.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Found a 2010 Wranger Sport Unlimited with 24000 miles. Seller is asking 24k. Looks like its pretty good shape. Good price or not?

A 2012 starts under $26k. What your seeing is about par for prices, they're holding value well. This is why I went with a new one after trying to find a 2010/11. I paid less than I would've for the used ones.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EightBit posted:

What size are your rims? I don't think the stock rims give you much flexibility for larger tires.

The Sport's wheels are 16s, I don't know the width; tires are 225/75-16. There are plenty of tire sizes available at 16", and they tend to be a lot cheaper than 17 or 18. A lot of Rubicon owners downsize their wheels to save $$$.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EightBit posted:

I was thinking that they may have come with 17" rims, which certainly are harder to get good tires for. I had to buy rims a year ago due to theft and almost bought a cheap set of 17" rims off of craigslist until I looked at tire selections for them. It was cheaper to buy new 15" rims and tires.

16, 17, and 18 are all available, so he may have 17s. Depends on the options and what the dealer felt like loving with. 16 is the base size. It's too bad they don't look very good. I wish they were just flat-sided like the 18s.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Those are probably the two most common options on any model in America. :lol:

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

gently caress, I want that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Veins McGee posted:

I bought one of the little cans of Herculiner at Lowes to see how it goes. Expensive compared to the Rustoleum undercoating spray. I need to find a powersander once I'm finished with the floors that don't need a patch.

If I don't have a powersander, could I sand the floors with an angle grinder and a different head(or w/e its called)?

I used a grinder in some spots (be careful, the tub metal is not that thick!) to clean up some welding repairs, and coated the entire inside of the tub with herculiner. That was in my YJ. If you're not going to do the job all at once, make sure you have another roller of theirs. I did half one day and tried to do the rest the next...the roller was obviously not reusable, and none of the various paint rollers I got ahold of would work right. I found somewhere that sold the herculiner rollers, which worked great.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Just go to autozone and have them scan it.

Edit: VVV Wow, gently caress California (as if another reason was necessary).

Godholio fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jun 20, 2012

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

jdfording posted:

I have a 2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited. When I got it, it had a lovely Sky Jacker lift on it. I'm running 31x10.5 Duratracs on it but it sits like a hot rod. The rear end is high the front is low.

Can anyone recommend me a set of springs and shocks that don't lift the Jeep to much? My wife drives it more than I do so I want to keep it stockish. I was looking at some Bilstein 5100's which give 0-3" of lift and some Old Man Emu springs. I really want to keep the lift to a minimum.

Do you have an aftermarket bumper and a winch? That stuff adds a lot of weight to the front end. A few companies sell leveling kits. That kind of rake is very common on JKs once a bumper/winch goes on and adds 200 lbs to the extreme front end.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FINALLY got around to moving my driver's sideview mirror, dropping the top, and pulling the doors. Those quick-disconnect plugs Jeep used on the hardtop rear wiper and the doors are fantastic.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

Not that anyone will care but I just picked up a loaded 2012 Wrangler Sport-S for $25k after taxes. :fap: Dark Red. It only had 1400 miles on it, the previous owner banged up her knee somehow and needs surgery so she can't drive standard any longer, Happened to call the dealer the same day she traded it in.

Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl? :fap: Our '12s are sexy, man.

quote:

Also... since I am new to the "owning a Jeep" thing.... why does everyone I pass who is also driving a jeep wave at me?

It's a sign that you should wave back. :)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think I'm going to be doing some of that too, in a couple of weeks. The interior is just too monotonous.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Digital_Jesus posted:

Also can anyone recommend a good soft top for around town rain prevention that wont run my wallet into the ground?

Just don't want to have to gently caress with the hard top every time it's a nice day :(

The Trektop NX is about half the price of the Supertop NX, if you can find it in stock. You can check craigslist and see if anyone's selling their factory hardware, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

'06 was the last of the TJs.