Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Willys eventually won the contract with their finalized design, the Willys MB. Willys won due to their very dependable and powerful 4 Cylinder Go Devil engine, which served admirably in the war

Willys MB produced by Ford

If it was produced by Ford, it's a GPW, not an MB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

Finally, here is my jeep:

1985 Cherokee Laredo
2.8l Chevy 'Iron Duke' V-6
AX5 5 Speed
NV 207 Transfer Case

Fun to drive, reliable as hell, and worth every penny I spent getting it

Uh. The Iron Duke was a 4cyl, and was never available in the Cherokee.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

You should really really REALLY get a bestop. They DO cost, but you can not beat one. You can read forums where people buy steel horse or pavement ends or other brands and have leaking problems. I have NEVER had a bestop leak ever. If you can finds a used one they are generally okay. If you find a used bestop you can always order replacement paers or windows/door kins etc.

bestop supertop or sunrider (sunroof soft top)

You know, I've got a Pavement Ends top on my Samurai, and it's pretty decent.

Of course, the Samurai doens't usually get driven in the rain, but when it does it's kept me plenty dry.

Plus I've heard that the Pavement Ends tops are manufactured by (or by the same people) as Bestop, just with a lighter, cheaper fabric.

EDIT: drat, Jeep tops are just about more than twice as expensive as Samurai tops.

n0tqu1tesane fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jul 16, 2008

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

BigKOfJustice posted:

Any type of off road vehicle averages around 10-15 mpg.

I get well into the 20s in my lifted, 4x4 offroad vehicle.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Boomerjinks posted:

Keys to my jeep: Gone, 100%. Someone must have picked them up after I dropped them in the park at work today.

Checked with Chrysler and they said that they could not reproduce keys for a 1990 jeep because it was too old, I guess the information no longer exists.

What should I do?

1) Call a locksmith and let him make new keys (one for ignition/doors and one for the glove box)
2) Buy replacement ignition and door locks from a parts store

3) Rig up a pushbutton start that does not require a key, and just cleverly hide the button.

It's a soft top, what do you need to lock the doors for anyhow?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Scrubed posted:

High deductible and the fact that even brand new these fenders only run $225 means i'm not making a claim.

I already picked up a stock bumper on Craig's list.

Come on now, you should know that a broken part on a Jeep doesn't mean "replace with stock", it means UPGRADE!

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

pr0zac posted:

Also, $200 for a complete set of 5 rims/tires with 80% tread left. Jeep looks/rides much better now:

I got a set of 5 rims and tires with 90% tread left for $50 for the Samurai.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Atticus_1354 posted:

I just welded the broken sway bar mount in the front that I have been putting off for at least 6 months. Now the jeep is now 98% repaired of the damage I have cause it. Soon I can begin on actual upgrades again.

Is that a Weyland-Yutani welding helmet?

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Tossed_Salad_Man posted:

ALSO:

Click here for the full 1120x840 image.

That is not MY jeep.

This is proof 33s will FIT with no suspension mods.

Well, yeah, they fit so long as you don't go off even pavement.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
My girlfriend has decided she wants a CJ-7. Far be it from me to argue with the girl.

It'll probably be a few months, but is there anything in particular to look for when shopping CJs?

Still don't know if we're going to sell the Samurai or not though....

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Sits on Pilster posted:

I just spent 2 1/2 weeks out of town and returned to a strange clanking noise coming from the belt area of my 1990 Cherokee 4.0l. I've driven it a bit with the noise, and today I finally figured out where it was coming from. I turn to you, Jeep Community, because I haven't the slightest clue how to go about repairing this.

Click here for the full 768x576 image.

Looks like the idler pulley. Should be a fairly straightforward replacement. A new one can be purchased at your local parts store for around $20.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Clamwacker posted:

I found another page that says 2 Wrangler Unlimiteds have reached the highest altitude of any other 4WDs, at 21,804 feet on the rim of the Ojos del Salado volcano in Chile, crossing what could be described as somewhat difficult terrain. :) Cool!

Yeah, and then was promptly beaten by a Suzuki Samurai.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/27/chileans-top-jeep-altitude-record-with-modded-suzuki-samurai/

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

ph4lcon posted:

When I was 3 My dad bought a 1988 Samurai. I swear that if I find one I'm going to buy it. I loved that thing to death.

I've got a 1987 Samurai. It's a fun toy, but sometimes I find myself wishing I had a TJ. The Samurai was and is a lot cheaper than a Jeep though.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

leica posted:

That's why I used to call mine a poor man's Jeep :v:

Although they seem to be more expensive these days, used to be you could pick one up for a grand easy, now they're up around 3-4k in good condition, then you might as well buy a YJ.

Yeah, mine was purchased a few years back for $800. It didn't run. It runs now, but still has problems. I haven't seen one recently for less than $2k, and that wasn't exactly a shining example.

Parts and whatnot are still cheaper for the Samurai though.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer
A guy I work with had a 4 door JK and sold it to get a I6 powered WJ, and liked the WJ a whole lot better. Said the JK sucks for power.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Braincloud posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?! So, it's now been in the 80s here in Seattle. Summer has arrived. I've had the doors and top off my Rubi for weeks now. It seems I'm the only one. Every Wrangler I see - TJ or JK, is still rolling around all buttoned up. Even softtops haven't been dropped! I just don't get it; why buy a Wrangler if you're not going to pull everything off when it gets nice out?! Hell, at least drop the top! I just shake my head when I see other Jeeps with their windows rolled down and their tops on as I drive by with my bare foot hanging out the door and the sun blazing down on my hat.

I guess I'm just way cooler than those other fools.

Now that I have a place to park the Samurai that's covered and out of the weather, I haven't had the top or doors on it since. The wife hates it because she's scared about the doors, and no top just messes her hair up, but she doesn't have to ride in it with me. The way I feel is that the whole point of having a vehicle like that is to ride around in it with as little on it as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

Grimey Drawer

They can be had fairly inexpensively too.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?cmd=keyword&N=0&Ntk=P_Category_Id&Ntt=7588&category1_munged=7588