Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Figured this would be a pretty good place for this. My friend was out camping last weekend. Something happened.

Thankfully no one was hurt. The picture is a little deceptive as that is actually looking down from the road on a pretty steep embankment, ended up getting totaled. Sounds like he's picking up a '95 4 banger wrangler to replace it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I'm going to go look at a 92 XJ with 250k on it tonight. specifically it's going to be a funtruck/rainy day commuter. Are there any glaring issues I really need to look out for on these? It's 4.0 5spd 4x4. I'm keeping my eyes open for 95 and 99 models, but if I can get a good deal I'm not too worried about getting the "best" model year.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Rust is a non-issue here in Phoenix for the most part, which is a nice change of pace from Vermont. That little mini-rant is mildly concerning, but I cruised around in an 88 Toyota FX for awhile so I'm used to being in a deathbox. Admittedly I wasn't going to wheel the FX so the lack of rollover reinforcement worries me a bit. Is that just with the '92, or is that something that is common throughout the XJ?

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jun 4, 2014

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Went and checked out a '98 XJ today with 197k and it was world's better than the 92 I looked at last week. Frickin everything worked, there was a headliner, stereo, AC, the works. The only problem is it's a CT Jeep that somehow made it out to AZ so there is a little bit of rust. If I didnt know the mileage I wouldn't have guessed anything more than 140k though.

Thinking about pulling the trigger on it tomorrow. I want to wait for something with less miles, but I want one now damnit.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Yeah I saw quite a bit of rust on the seat rails, which doesnt bode well for the floorpan.

Found a 97 2 door with a 5spd that has 50k less for about the same price and it's an AZ truck so no rust. Gonna check that out after work and if everything goes well I'll be buying it. I swore I'd never buy another east coast car again if I could help it. Having PB Blaster drip into your nose because you're trying to soak a rusty rear end bolt is the worst.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I know I've been making GBS threads up this thread but I'm super pumped, picked up a 97 XJ with 109k today. Ultra mint, went to the top of my pricerange at 3600 but there's been nothing comparable that I've seen out here. Can't wait to throw my wallet at it like an idiot.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So I bought a 97 XJ with 110k on it a few months ago, and yall weren't loving kidding. Just little poo poo here and there that is driving me crazy. Grease the slip yoke...clean the throttle body and IAC, and now I've got some weird rear end intermittent CEL and the OD doesn't work for a few miles, assuming it's the neutral safety switch that needs cleaning. I feel like I bought a pile of deferred maintenance. Overall I love it but goddamn every week it's something new. Looking forward to getting all this little poo poo out of the way.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
I don't even know what the PO did with mine. I got a text like 3 days after I bought it and they were like "oh btw if it doesn't start press the red button next to the hood release" and sure as poo poo a few days later it didn't start and there's a little button wired in down near the release. Pressed it and it started right up and no issues since then.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So the CEL that I'm pretty sure was due to my NSS that had been intermittent for a awhile now has not come on for almost a week. That means I don't have to do anything, right guys?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Reverse lights, and OD will sometimes drop when the CEL comes on. I've also seen some suggestions that it might be a sensor on the transmission. I haven't gotten around to actually doing anything beyond Internet Troubleshooting because I like to think that between work and school full time I don't have time to work on bikes or cars. But I took the week off for finals so now is the best time for me to start dicking around with this stuff.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Any recommendations for pads and rotors for an XJ? Or does it matter much? Getting this thing ready to tow a 5 by 8 uhaul 1400 miles and just making sure I cover all my bases.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Picked up some Akebono pads and Centric rotors so thank you guys for the suggestions.

We've reached a point where we might just cut our poo poo down enough that we won't need to pull a trailer (trying to convince her this means I can tow my bike instead) but now we might be looking at roof racks. It's already got the rails and the adjustable posts, anyone built their own or have any experience with something on the cheap?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Installed an Amazon special roof basket with an extension today. Seems pretty sturdy but for some reason they decided that some big honkin ubolts with wingnuts should stuck up into the basket. Stupid, but a lot cheaper than the big names. Just gonna throw some rubber caps or valve covers over them and call it a day.

Also replaced the TPS in a last ditch effort to not have to clean the NSS because I'm lazy and super tired of getting our vehicles ready for the move. CEL hasn't reappeared and OD is working great.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Feb 13, 2015

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
At some point I gave my dremel away and we're moving on Saturday so I didn't feel like getting a new one. When I get to Seattle that and sealing up the joints on the rack to stop water from getting in are steps one and two. Putting the dog's crate up there so it will cover the extra threads and poo poo for now so it won't stab whatever else goes up there.

I would have liked to try to fab something up but time constraints kind of put a damper on that.

Edit: towed a 5x8 uhaul for a few miles to drop some stuff off for a buddy. So glad we decided not to do that for the trip.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Feb 13, 2015

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Super saggy overloaded with Mt. Shasta in the background. Going up and down all the hills with this thing was nerve wracking between Phoenix and Seattle. Burned probably half a quart of oil each day. Smokes hilariously on startup now. Jeep life.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 21, 2015

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It looks like it's hanging down to me. Does it wiggle around? I don't know if those just bolt on or what.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
So my 97 XJ is burning an alarming amount of oil. Smokes a decent bit on startup but then no noticeable smoke that I can see in the rear view after that. But it smells like burning oil when I park it/get stuck in traffic. Probably somewhere in the realm half a quart every tank of gas at this point. Rings?

Plugs looked find when I checked them before the trip, haven't done a compression test yet. Would that be my first step?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
It's amazing how many loving screws it takes to get to the radiator on an XJ. When I put it all back together I wound up with a little handful of extras.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Ughhh, XJ now pings under load at low RPM going up hills. 92 octane solved it for now but gently caress me.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Someone tried to steal my roof rack last night, found out the hard way on my way to work.

They got three mounts off and must have gotten scared off before finishing the job. Was going around a corner, heard a thunk and then it was chillin outside my window.

This is the third or fourth time someone has hosed with the car. The last time being when I came home from vacation and someone had scissor jacked it up by the pumpkin and drilled a hole in my tank. Getting sick of this poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

:psyduck: what the actual gently caress

Yeah I had parked it with an 1/8th of a tank when I left. The gas cap was missing and the flap was open so I assume they tried to siphon first and didn't get poo poo.

The worst part is they left it jacked up but took the handle to lower it. Took me like 20 minutes using a fire poker to lower it bit by bit. I was furious.