Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I'm going to look at this Jeep on wendesday.

http://www.newsmyrnacjd.com/used/Jeep/2007-Jeep-Wrangler-abfe068a0a0d048d00e229bee02035b0.htm

What should I be looking for in a modified Jeep such as this one as far as good mods and whatnot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

commissargribb posted:

No upholstery? Looks like the PO saved you some time.

on a lifted vehicle you should be sure that the lift was done properly. An improperly installed lift can cause horrible wobbling in the wheels to start up.

Also make sure the laws in your area governing tire size allow tires to get that big. In maine, this vehicle would be a no-go simply because the treaded portion of the tire sticks out past the fender flares for example.

I live in florida, those tires are pretty small compared to some of the redneck trucks around here. Thanks for the tips. I'll be sure to give it a good test drive when I go look at it

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EightBit posted:

Get a lawyer dude. Post about this on their message boards, anywhere they have publicity relating to your Jurassic Park YJ. They took that thing out and hosed around in it and you should get reimbursed for the damages + lawyer fees.

This a million times over. Post on every video game site you can find about this, if they have a facebook page post on that, everywhere. Someone high enough will see they hosed up and do something about it, hopefully.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

El Duderino posted:

Another first time Jeep owner checking in! It's a 98 4.0.

Pickings are kind of slim here in Santa Barbara. Ones that I did find with the features I was looking for were way over my price range. My parents are up in Sacramento so I kept my eyes open on the Craigslist up there. They thankfully helped me out by checking the condition of the Jeeps I forwarded to them and they really came through for me!

They got it checked out by a mechanic. Everything seemed sound, aside from a little raggity interior but I was half expecting that from a 13 year old vehicle... But the exterior is pretty flawless! Guy was the original owner and had receipts from everything EVER done to it, and kept up a log with dates/mileage for all maint. done. Looks like he babied it as will I!

I finally got a hold of it a few days ago, and you couldn't pry the loving grin off my face when I first started putting around in it... As much as I want to go around topless, I think I'm going to hold off until next season, but it's just a blast to drive! Oh and it's also nice being able to park around town here. My last vehicle was a 2007 tundra double cab long bed, and it just wasn't meant to be parked in these tiny rear end spots/garages here in Santa Barbara...

So yeah, I'm happy to finally be apart of this thread, I've already started from the last page working my way back to the front, and I'm around page 100 now, you goons just poo poo great info and support!

I'm pretty sure there's some sort of law about living in Cali and not going topless 99% of the year just like living in Florida has the same law.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

grnberet2b posted:

I have mixed emotions on this:

Untitled by grn beret 2b, on Flickr

I can't get over the size difference either.

Untitled by grn beret 2b, on Flickr

That's the special edition arctic edition right? I saw one of those a few weeks ago, in daytona beach! The least arctic place on earth! lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

grnberet2b posted:

Huh, I hadn't even heard of that. It's possible, I didn't check the decals on the side.

It's pretty badass and that light blue color is awesome in person.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2012/wrangler_arctic/#model=arctic&color=winter_chill

The inside looks loving plush compared to the 98 Wrangler I had. God I miss that so badly. I remember I paid like 18k for it brand new. Soft top and soft doors, perfect beach vehicle. Can you even get a brand new Wrangler for 18k nowadays?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Boomerjinks posted:

Is anyone else absolutely in love with the "highlighter-green" color of this year's Wranglers? I loving adore it.

Local dealer has one and I drive past it every other day. I want it, badly. I think I've decided when I do get a Jeep it's going to be the 4 door though and the one they have is only a 2.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

Not that anyone will care but I just picked up a loaded 2012 Wrangler Sport-S for $25k after taxes. :fap: Dark Red. It only had 1400 miles on it, the previous owner banged up her knee somehow and needs surgery so she can't drive standard any longer, Happened to call the dealer the same day she traded it in.

Also... since I am new to the "owning a Jeep" thing.... why does everyone I pass who is also driving a jeep wave at me?

It's the standard Jeep greeting! Just like when everyone on motorcycles waves to each other.

I miss the Jeep wave, hopefully in the next year I'll be able to have another.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

So uh, I wasn't expecting this to happen today, but, ya it did!

2012 Unlimited Sport with Customer Preferred package 23s which includes the following

17" Wheel 255/75R17 tires
Power convenience group
power heated mirros
Power windows/locks
Remote Keyless entry
Security Alarm
Leather wrapper steering wheel
Chrome/Leather Shift knob
Tinted Windows
And the absolute most awesome thing is the Connectivity Group
Bluetooth stereo and all the controls for it on the steering wheel.
Trac-Lok LSRD
Infinity sound system with sub

Now, I owen a 97 or 98 Jeep, whichever year was the first with the round head lights again. It was the first car I ever bought and I loved the thing. This is like a completely different vehicle! Nevermind the fact my old one was the crap 4cyl auto, the engine in this thing is awesome! Rides smoother than I expected and is just all around awesome.

So, are there any must do first mods? I'd like a 1 1/2 - 2 1/2" lift, but will probably wait a bit before doing that. What else?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

commissargribb posted:

Anyone who has a soft top has this.

Lol, true, very true.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

Are you going off-road? Front bumper and a winch, you may want a leveling kit if the nose dips too much from the weight. Ace rock sliders. Also, give me your wheels (I wish I would've gotten the 17s instead of the 16s). If the hood jumps in the wind, Daystar makes hood latches for like $25 that'll cure it.

Seconding the rearview mirror. Makes a world of difference. Also, remove your sideview mirrors and drill a small hole at the very bottom of the piece that attaches to the door. The mirror base is mostly hollow and will fill up with like half a loving gallon of water every time it rains and it will never evaporate. It'll fly out of there and in through your window days/weeks later and every time you wash the drat thing.

So I spent $10 and did this today

It's the bed liner in a can stuff. I think it looks awesome and will hold me over until I can get a proper set of wheels/tires.

Did the review mirror and yeah it makes a huge difference. Will do the mirrors tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oops, just got caught at work with my top up but no front doors. Cue huge thunderstorm out of nowhere and like 3 inches of water in the front footwells! Wish I would have removed the plugs already. :( Currently the sun is out and we are air drying now! It's ok to roll without the plugs in the floor right? Just incase this happens again.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

While I'm waiting for everything to dry out, I went looking through some photo albums

My first Jeep! Bought it brand new in 98. First car I ever bought. Too bad it was the craptastic 4cyl AND it was auto, god I was a stupid 19 year old! The new one feels so much bigger than that one was. Does anyone know offhand the size difference between the 2? I think 97 or 98 was the first year of the round headlights being brought back too wasn't it?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Philip J Fry posted:

The JK runs 2" longer in wheelbase measurement and is about 5.5" wider.

Wow, guess the huge fender flares make it look a lot bigger.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Made some door hangers today!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

First time ever hitting the trails in my new Jeep and had a blast!

Met up with some people on the JK forums and they showed me the ropes and made it through everything and managed not to get stuck!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I don't suppose anyone is interested in my stock tires from my 2012 Unlimited are they? I just put 33's on and now have a set of the goodyear wrangler SRA's that have 1300 miles on them and one tire with 0 miles on them. They are P255/75/R17 SRA 32". I put em up on craigslist but haven't had any hits yet.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kastein posted:

Wish you were closer, I have probably half a dozen friends up here in mass who would be interested.

Hmmmm, wonder how much shipping would run me....

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Geared Hub posted:

If you want to ship entire wheel assemblies with tires, just get a roll of heavy duty plastic wrap, and ship each wheel/tire as a single UPS ground package. There's a weight limit of around 125-150 lbs per package.

I shipped tires and wheels before this way no problem. Cost was around 50-70$ per package last time I did it [37" tires on alloy wheels]

That's not horrible. I guess I'd entertain shipping the tires if someone here was interested.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone in central florida going to the Orlando Jeep and Truck fest this weekend?

http://www.4wd.com/info/orlando-truck-jeep-fest.aspx

I'm meeting up with a couple guys I've gone wheeling with and going Saturday. Hope to come home with some new toys for the Jeep. Most likely a lift kit and maybe some other goodies!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Just installed a SmittyBilt XRC front bumper on mine this morning.

Lights and winch are coming soon.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EightBit posted:

How much did that weigh?

40 pounds. Took me about an hour to pull the stock one off and get this one on. Pretty easy job.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

EightBit posted:

Can you fit any kind of winch in there? When I get my rear end around to upgrading bumpers and installing a winch, I want it in the bumper like that.

Yep, it's got a spot for a winch and you can kinda see the cutout for it in the front of it in the straight on pic. I'll be putting one in within the next couple weeks. Going to get some lights for the front, not sure if I'm gonna go with the Rigid Industries square LED lights or the standard circle lights.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

The new bumper looked kinda naked, so I gave it some lights and d-rings!

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

I wish somebody would throw their JK Rubicon rails on craigslist. I know there are five thousand pairs just sitting around after the owners installed aftermarket rails. :(

Same here! There's a few for sale over on the JK forums but no one will ship. :(

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

Homemade definitely has the price advantage. A lot of people have had good experiences with the Ace sliders. These are what I really want, but the Rubicon rails look really sharp underneath and I'd rather put those on first.

I'm either going to get those or the LOD Rock sliders

http://www.lodoffroad.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16136&cat=249&page=1

Nice thing about the LOD is they attach to the frame and not into the body mounts like the Ace. I've heard nothing but good things about the Ace though and you can't beat the price.

Oh, finally got my lift installed.

3.25" Rough Country

And a Rough Country Performance Steering Stabilizer.

I love it. It's like a whole new Jeep, even rides better than stock.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

After you put a few miles/rocks under it, mind posting an update? Back when I had a YJ the running joke was the Rough Country was the best-named company on the market because you basically needed a mouthguard to run their lifts without loosing teeth. I haven't really started looking at lifts yet (I should probably find a job soon :/ ), but it's on the list.

Edit: What bumper is that?

It's the Smittybuilt XRC.

And ya I'll post an update in a few thousand miles. It shouldn't take that long since I'm traveling like 500 miles or so a week for work. Right now it's awesome though.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Woooo new stuff for the Jeep! Gotta love that time and a half OT I'm getting at my new job! lol

Smittlybilt SRC Side Armor

And I know most people say it's just for looks, but I had to install a front trackbar relocation bracket after I installed my lift, and with the single stabilizer there I couldn't install the bracket. So $40 later I now have dual steering stabilizers and will be able to install the front trackbar relo bracket now!

Not sure what to do next now. Probably some sort of rear bumper to match the new front one, or a winch, or more lights, or oh my god I need more money lol

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kastein posted:

Do you have lockers and spare axleshafts already? A high-lift? Valve stem remover and onboard air system? A small set of tools to do emergency repairs?

Those are all things I'd put on the list, especially if you want to do some real offroading. Throw a decent CB radio and possibly a 2 meter Ham radio + antenna on the list too especially if you ever go anywhere alone, even if you don't have your ham license, the FCC is very understanding about breaking their regulations when the reason is to make a distress call.

High-lift is on the hood and toolbag is something I put together after my first wheeling trip. Has all the common socket and wrench sizes, misc screwdrivers and other tools one would possibly need out on the trail.

I'll have to look into on board air, sounds cool. I think some quick disconnects for the front might be in order next as they aren't overly expensive.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Anyone in Florida going to Jeeptoberfest this year? I'm meeting up with a couple guys from central fla and headed up there on the saturday.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

slipfish posted:

I put 31/10.5/r15's on my 99 TJ, and now there's a tiny amount of rub on full-lock, do I go hog wild and buy new wheels with a more appropriate backspacing or are wheel spacers an alright substitute? (As far as wheel spacers go, I've been looking at these: http://www.spidertrax.com/products/1997-06-Wrangler-TJ)

I've got 1.5" spacers on my 12 JK with 33's and have had 0 issues with them and have done some decent wheeling with them. Spidertrax are some of the most recommended spacers but I run the Rough Country spacers as they were cheaper but made of the same material.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

kastein posted:

I know people who have run for years on spacers without issue. Make sure you torque em down properly... and expect it to wear your wheel bearings a bit faster.

If you go with the real small kind that just slip over the studs before you put the wheel on, make sure you have enough thread engagement still.

I've heard the ones that just slip over the studs are the worst ones. You want the ones that bolt onto the studs and then have their own studs you bolt the wheels onto.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

brains posted:

hit the first 1000 miles today on my rubi

on the top of a mountain. naturally :)

I just turned 10k! on my 2012! Only took me 3 1/2 months to do it too! I was commuting 100+ miles a day for work and I've since stopped that so the miles should slow down here now thank goodness. Only good thing to come from so many miles is the 33's I put on 9k miles ago are getting pretty worn and I'm ready to step up to 35's as soon as they are done.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

What gears do you have, and is it lifted? 33 is about as big as you can go without rubbing too much.

3.88 and 3.5" lift, I'll have no problem running 35s. I got a friend running the same thing with a 3" lift and has 0 rubbing.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Godholio posted:

Edit: You have a 12, so I'll change this. Did you mean 4.88? That's right in the sweet spot from what I've read.

No, I completely mistyped that and should have put 3.73, is what I have.

Edit: also I'm in Florida on pretty much completely flat land so I won't be lugging my jeep up any mountains or anything anytime soon. Most wheeling we do is wooded trails.

mattfl fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 6, 2012

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Oh man, just placed an order for 4 35" Nitto Trail Grappler M/Ts. Can't wait to put them on. Anyone need a set of lightly used Destination A/T 33"? :)

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

If only you weren't in Florida. :(

Where are you at? I'm not opposed to shipping them if it means getting them sold.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Viggen posted:

That'd likely cost as much as they're worth, if not more.

Well if you're in the US and hopefully not on the other side I'm seeing quotes of up to $150 to ship all 4 depending on what service I use.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Viggen posted:

Are you judging by both weight and size? Oversized packages are an instant dick with UPS, DHL, and USPS..

I hopped on a few other forums I'm on and asked a few people and the replies I got was to wrap them up in pairs and ship them like that, that way it doesn't hit that oversized freight charges. I won't have my new ones till Thursday so if you want I can get a real quick from ups or FedEx once I get them off the jeep. They probably have 10k miles on them, no gashes or damage on them. Plenty of tread left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

Shipped to 15116

Curious, might buy them.

Ok I will let you know by the end of the week.