Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I just got an '02 Wrangler Sport - when it's cold it's a little clunky going into second. If I'm going slow from first and shift it's fine, but if I'm being a little more aggressive and shifting at higher rpm (or when the motors spinning much at all) it gives out a pretty loud grind. If I've been driving all day this problem goes away and it shifts perfectly. Any idea what could fix a problem like this?

The mechanic that inspected it said something about the thickness of oil in the transmission but I was just thinking about phat rimz so I didn't pay attention.

Here's my new baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I get to buy a new catalytic convertor today :smug:

gently caress California, gently caress CARB, and gently caress everything. On the plus side, I get to take my jeep off road for the first time on Saturday!

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 30, 2012

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Should I be mad when the mechanic breaks the clamps that hold in the catalytic converter and they can't get a replacement until tomorrow? Only a $20 part but I'm about to spend that in train/bus fare getting home tonight and to work tomorrow.

I know poo poo happens but it's in the shop now for three days to get a new cat :mad: It seems like they should've taken out the cat before ordering the new one, then if they broke a part they could order it at the same time. I hate car problems and I wish I could know 100% that my mechanic wasn't full of poo poo and gouging me.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

the U-bolt ones? I don't even bother trying to unbolt them anymore, I just cut em in half. I'm surprised they didn't do the same. They're so close to the heat of the catalytic converter that they are almost always rusted solid and/or (in the rust belt) an unrecognizable blob of rust anyways.

Most shops won't start a job till they have all the parts they expect to need, simply because generally that means a shop bay tied up with a torn apart vehicle in it for up to a day or two while waiting for parts to arrive. Throughput (and therefore shop space) are king, leaving something sitting in a shop bay not being worked on is a waste.
The guy told me they soaked the clamps for a while but they ended up breaking. I'm just a whiny bitter baby because I have to take the bus.

Thanks for making sense of it :)

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
What's this poo poo??

I'm assuming it should be connected to something before I drive :mad: Coming out of the back of the front differential.

e: looks like it's my vent hose :v: Zip tie it somewhere high and drive on?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Wow that thing's awesome!

How long have you been working on trucks? I just got my first Jeep a few weeks back and am looking forward to learning a few things on it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
In the past week I have painted the front and rear fenders with bedliner, installed new speakers front and rear, cleaned battery terminals, diagnosed problem with 4wd light and windshield washer sprayer motor, and learned how to take the top off :)

Now comes the fun / harder part where I install the 4wd light switch on the transfer case, the sprayer motor, and a new muffler. I'm also planning on doing an oil change, transmission flush, differentials and transfer case fluids. SO far I'm having a blast but nothing has been hard yet either :ohdear:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

adorai posted:

1) the fender flares and other trim pieces are very faded. I was thinking about using bedliner on them, will it look good?
It looks awesome. I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating and it's very easy to apply. I took off the front fenders because it was relatively easy to do, but I masked off the rear fenders and sprayed them in place because gently caress that.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I have a squeak coming from both front wheels, on every rotation. Pretty sure it's not brakes, what are the other likely causes? U-Joints? Ball-joints? Knee-joints? Ankle-Joints? Maybe something needs grease? I noticed it after my first time off-road, but it may have been there before - usually my music is too loud to hear it.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

Sounds like U-joints to me. Does it get worse when you're cornering?

They're cheap and fairly easy to replace even on crusty axles, here's a howto:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpR-DcRV08

There are two common axle joint sizes on jeeps - 5-260X and 5-760X. Measure the "cap" you can see him pounding out in that video, if it's 1 1/16" diameter it's a 260, if it's 1 3/16" it's a 760. I generally only use Spicers because they're way more durable than most parts store brands... and cost less bought online than parts store brands do in-store.

Some early XJs, some ZJs, and all WJs got CV joints, but everything else has ujoints.

Before spending time/money on those, make sure it's not brakes - if it changes intensity by a significant amount when you step on the brakes, it probably is. If not, I'd bet on ujoints.
Thanks boss :)

How's this: http://www.quadratec.com/products/52302_102.htm

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 28, 2012

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Digital_Jesus posted:

Also can anyone recommend a good soft top for around town rain prevention that wont run my wallet into the ground?

Just don't want to have to gently caress with the hard top every time it's a nice day :(

On Amazon or eBay you can get smittybily replacement tops for around $250. I've heard good enough things about them to not spend $500+ on something else. I have one to put on this weekend, I'll let you know how the quality seems.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

commissargribb posted:

If I didnt have kid crusher bars, I would be all over getting a hardwareless top.

Sorry, the one I was talking about is the top only, you need to have the factory hardware installed :/

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Rhyno posted:

It's my girlfriend's Jeep. It's shaking pretty bad at 40-50mph so she dropped it at the mechanic I trust and he diagnosed it as Death Wobble and recommended replacing the steering damper. He did tell me this might not totally fix the problem but as we don't plan to keep it much longer and money is a wee bit tight this month. I looked up the part and Autozone has it for $30 and a few quick searches claim it's a very easy job but I couldn't find much in the way of detailed instructions.

From what I've heard, replacing the stabilizer will probably help with the death wobble but it's like putting a band-aid on something that really needs stitches.

It is a very easy replacement.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
My favorite thing from this thread so far is the word "boogerweld."

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I got a Smittybilt tinted soft top replacement that uses the original hardware for about $260 on amazon - it seems pretty great so far.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
BEEFCAAAAAAKE!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Kastein - I asked about a squeak in my front wheels previously and you said if it's not the brakes it's probably the u-joints. I changed out the pads in the front and I'm still getting the same squeak with every rotation. Is there a good way to tell for sure if it's the u-joints, or do I just need to replace them and then I'll know if they were guilty?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

Turn the wheels to about a 20 degree angle, put the frontend on jackstands, and spin the tires by hand while watching/listening to the ujoint. You should hear a squeak most likely.
Thanks for this - Unfortunately this has become the lesser of my concerns :(

2 days ago I noticed a pretty loud ticking. I took it to a mechanic for diagnosis and he tells me it's the lifters, and that I should try running some lucas oil to quiet them down. I asked him about replacing the lifters and he said it's not something he would do, because you'd probably need to replace the camshaft, at which point he would just put in a new engine. Sounds silly to me...

SOOOOOO I'm thinking of replacing the lifters and (maybe) the camshaft myself. This would definitely be the most intense thing I've ever undertaken on a vehicle. As I understand it I can replace lifters by pulling the cylinder head, removing the rockers and pushrods, and then using a special tool to yank out the lifters. Have any of you ever changed lifters? Does that sound about right? I think the cam shaft will be quite a bit trickier, anything I need to know besides what the FSM will tell me? If I'm taking off the cylinder head I'll need to use new gaskets when I put it back on right?

Thanks as always for your help folks :D

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 28, 2012

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

EightBit posted:

That is a giant undertaking if you've never done anything like it before. I'm not saying that you shouldn't, just be prepared. To do the camshaft, you'll be disassembling a significant majority of the engine; you'll basically only be leaving the crankshaft, connecting rods, pistons, and flywheel untouched. Unless it looks like it has excessive wear when you pull out the lifters, I'd leave the camshaft be, but that's your call. You might have to pull it out to inspect it, though :v:. The FSM should have the information for determining if it really is too worn to recommend reuse.

I'm assuming that you're talking about the 4.0. Have you eliminated the other common sources of ticking: exhaust cracks/leaks, camshaft position sensor, timing chain, normal 4.0 chatter?

Be sure to get a gasket kit that includes all the replacement gaskets for doing a head gasket job (it's a surprisingly large amount of gaskets and o-rings). Auto parts stores usually have them

rally posted:

This. Make sure you don't tear the engine apart just because your mechanic thinks it's a lifter tick. I had a pretty gnarly knocking going on and it turned out to be a loose flex plate.

Duh, sorry. It's a 2002 wrangler sport, 4.0, standard transmission.

I'm going to do an oil change and use a bottle of Marvel Mystery oil as soon as I'm able to get some garage time. It has a new exhaust manifold. Not sure about the cam shaft position sensor or timing chain, but it's definitely too loud to be called 'just a jeep thing.' I'll look in to a better diagnosis before I try to remove my engine with some rafters and a piece of climbing rope.

The jeep is running perfectly :shobon:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

Talk of fixing lifter tick on the 4.0? What alternate reality have I crossed into?
It's wicked loud :stare:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

ExplodingSims posted:

Have you had any work done on the lifters/head in the past? I had some loud tick after replacing the head on my Cherokee, and it was caused cause one of the rocker arms wasn't tightened down properly. It might be worth it to inspect that before tearing everything apart.

I think it had the head replaced a while before I got it. I've had it for a few months. I'm taking it in to the shop this weekend, dude quoted me ~$200 to replace the lifters, and said he'd inspect the camshaft to see how it looks. The mechanic that diagnosed it as lifter noise took off the valve cover and said the rockers all look good. The ticking just started out of nowhere 3 days ago.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
Go with 40" mudders

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

DixielandDelight posted:

4.0 till I die

32s on stock. Still up in the air if I'll do the 2" lift or not. Took it to the trail and there was no rubbing whatsoever.

Are your front turn signals taped to the bumper? I like it :radcat:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
2002 Wrangler 4.0.

- Valve lifters and push rods replaced
- Cracked Intake manifold replaced

Still ticking very loudly. Probably need a new exhaust manifold right? I just bought a mechanic's stethoscope and a telescoping mirror, so hopefully if it's cracked I'll be able to suss it out so I don't go and replace a part that doesn't need it. Would you guys recommend seafoam for finding exhaust leaks?

I really wish I would've taken more time to look at the loving thing when I had the intake manifold removed. What else should I look at and potentially replace (maintenance-wise) lest I regret it later if I'm going in this deep again? I've got 134k miles on the jeep.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

EightBit posted:

Have you put a finger on the camshaft position sensor to see if that is what makes the noise?

Yes, I just did this. Nothing but a very dull vibration. I hadn't checked this before, though I'm pretty sure you suggested it :(

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The only rust on my 2002 wrangler is on the exhaust hanger. I guess that's one great thing about living in California. $1,700 catalytic converters is one of the bad things :mad:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I should've posted this a while ago - What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiM5UpBG5BQ

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

:aaa: SHUT THAT OFF

that is definitely NOT an exhaust manifold crack, that's either a horrible piston slap (dropped skirt?), a bad wrist pin, or a bad conrod bearing. Nothing good can come of running that motor more without repairing whatever's wrong with it.

Unless it's something snagged on the belt whipping into things, but I don't think the belt would last that long nor would it make that much noise.

How's the oil pressure at idle?

Well poo poo...

The belt isn't hitting anything that I can tell.

Oil pressure while cruising on the freeway is right in the middle at 40, at idle is at a quarter (20psi?)

I've been so set on it being the manifold. I guess I should quit driving it every day. How would you go about fixing something like this? Drop the oil pan?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I'll poke and prod with my mechanics stethoscope. If it's piston related I should be able to tell what's going on by dropping the oil pan right? Maybe I need to go a step further and just rebuild the loving thing. That's one way to learn, right?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Veins McGee posted:

99 Cherokee
Can I pull my CEL codes by doing the thing that makes them display in the odometer area or do I need to go to autozone?

This is a grand Cherokee, but it's the same way it works on my wrangler so it'll probably work on your Cherokee too :thumbsup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV4-3o1lsN0

Turn the ignition on three times in a row simultaneously and the diagnostic trouble codes should appear on the odometer. If there are no codes it will say "done" immediately. If not, the codes will appear one by one on the odometer until it says "done."

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

brains posted:

some fun in the mountains: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-5S-8vWgag

the last one is me

my lockers were disengaged :wink:

ahahaha that's great. Loose sand is the worst.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
An I6 from a 2004 Wrangler should drop into my 2002 no problem right? The coil rail and everything else look to be in the same spot in everything I've seen.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I got my Jeep back on Friday night and drove it over 300 miles this weekend, maybe 50 of those miles off-road. The mechanic put in a rebuilt 2004 motor from a totaled wrangler. It runs smoother than ever and sounds nice and clean with no ticking of clattering. The OPDA had already been replaced on the new motor, and the CPS is the same style that my 2002 had installed.

The old engine seized when the connecting rod in the #1 cylinder literally snapped in half. Unfortunately I forgot to take a photo when I was at the shop. The piston ground the head off of the spark plug that was poking through in that cylinder. The new engine came with intake and exhaust manifolds attached, so now I have 1 spare intake mani, 2 spare exhaust manis, a spare head and a spare valve cover. I really should've kept the old block so maybe I could clean it up one day, but I don't know that it would've been salvageable (probably would've been). I'm looking forward to having my own garage soon where I can take a car apart.

Anyway, I did a lot of awesome trail riding this weekend in Ocotillo and Anza Borrego. Some of the most challenging stuff I've ever done, which isn't saying much, but this was the first time I ever had to really think about lines and where to put my tires.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

DixielandDelight posted:

I'm looking at putting new gears in and figured I'd stop in here and gather y'alls opinion. I've got the 4.0 and am running 32s. I'm thinking about running 4.11s but from what I gather, something like 3.73s offer better MPG. If my understanding is correct, I'll lose torque but boost MPG with lower gears and the inverse with higher gears. Am I correct? All I know is that I need to get rid of these 3.07s - I'm getting low teen MPG and a top speed of about 80 that requires quite a struggle.

I have 33" tires with 3.73 gearing and I get around 15mpg in town, 18 on long highway trips. I'm at around 2000rpm when I'm going 75mph on flats.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

Do Not Fear Jazz posted:

I couldn't find my ZJ fog lights sadly.

If anyone else has a ZJ(TJ,YJ,MJ,or XJ) I have 2 sets of spacers (1" spidertrax) (1.5" rough country) and ZJ tow hooks that I still need to get rid of.

Also may trade my XJ for a 5.9 Grand Cherokee. :buddy:

Do you know if the ZJ tow hooks would bolt on to the rear bumper of a TJ? I plan on getting stuck real soon :getin:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

gileadexile posted:

In other great news, my exhaust manifold is either cracked or loose, and it randomly started backfiring up front when I lay off the throttle. Since there don't appear to be any performance options, if I have to get a whole new manifold, should I buy OEM replacement or search a junkyard?

If the exhaust manifold from a 2002 Wrangler would work I can send you a set for the price of shipping - I have 2 spares.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I finally replaced the rear shaft u-joints on my 2002 wrangler. It looked like the originals were still on with 140k miles, and they weren't even showing any play. This jeep needs more beatings I think.

I plan on replacing the three u-joints on the front shaft soon as well, but first I need to deal with a leak somewhere related to the transfer case. If I have oil sprayed all over in an arc above the driveshaft where it meets the transfer case in the rear I can safely assume it's the output seal in the cone, right?

Every time I work on my jeep I love it a little bit more :shobon: Unless the work involves installation or removal of the intake/exhaust manifolds.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

kastein posted:

Depends on if it's oil or grease. If it's grease, the ujoint has been flinging it around, and it's probably just excess that squeezed out after the last time that ujoint got greased.

If it's definitely trans fluid (well, transfer case fluid, but jeep transfer cases use ATF) it's the rear output seal on the transfer case.

I found that the transfer case was almost empty, I put my pinky into the fill hole and had to reach almost all the way to the bottom to hit fluid. I refilled it and checked the spray when I got home at it was definitely ATF. I did a fluid change in June I think, so it took from then til now to leak almost completely. I sure am glad I noticed before it was running totally dry :ohdear:

Thanks as always for your help!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I hacked off the ends of my bumper and added a light bar - I didn't like how it looked without the bar but I like it now. The lights are going on tonight, but I'm afraid the ones I have are going to be too big and obstruct the headlights a little. I'm having fun with all of these little projects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I think my clutch is going out. In stop and go when I let the clutch out and then push it back in the front of the jeep starts jumping around and clunking. If I keep the clutch almost all the way in and rev harder it will take off smoothly. It shifts fine once I'm going, and when I'm taking off normally from a stop it's mostly fine, since I'm steadily accelerating through first and then into second. It only seems to act up when I take off in first and then try and cruise along with the clutch most of the way out before stopping again. Does that sound like a clutch slipping and/or going out? If so, can anyone recommend a good clutch kit for a 2002 4.0 wrangler? Rockauto has Valeo for $135.79, ACDELCO for $129.79, and then a couple of options for more than twice that price.

e: I started to notice this problem after the engine was replaced. When I would be reversing to parralel park it would start shuttering violently - could this be anything to do with a new engine install? Maybe there's some loose bolts?

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 22, 2013