Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Jurispathic posted:

I came here to post that episode. It's definitely up them as one of my favorites for sure. There's just so many great scenes in it. The whole car ride with Silvio is one of the most disturbing moments in the show's history, and they pull it off flawlessly. The way it dawns on you that she's finished is just so subtle and so heartbreaking. I also love when Chris drops her car off at the parking lot. It's such a beautiful shot. I especially like the announcer's voice: "This is LONG TERM PARKING ONLY." And then there's Tony looking out at the woods with a hint of regret. I don't know if it was intentional, but it seemed quite symbolic that Tony was trying to cover up her death with Carmela's spec house.

It's interesting. Anyone remember a few seasons before that episode where Chris proposes to Ade? Ade's mother is there with them, and she warns Ade that the "next time you get into trouble, this door is closed to you." Pretty chilling.

The way they handled Adriana's difficulties with the Feds and her murder were perfect. I was worried about moving her character to the foreground, but it worked perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

The Action Man posted:

The way they handled Adriana's difficulties with the Feds and her murder were perfect. I was worried about moving her character to the foreground, but it worked perfectly.

Yeah, it was great. They never made her suddenly any smarter or any different than she was. She remained the exact same person, just in a different scenario. It is really rare to see writing that true-to-life.

Otep
Mar 22, 2003
SEVAS TRA
Does anyone have the link for a SNL skit with an unidentified New Jersey Resident?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Scipiotik posted:

Whatever the reason it was brilliant, I was so tense I could barely breathe, every time she failed at parking the car I just figured something horrible would happen. I loved the ending, couldn't have imagined a better one.

Precisely. We've been conditioned to act that way by countless TV shows. I was expecting a big rig to blindside Meadow one one of her aborted parking attempts, or someone to walk up and shoot her or something, just by the way that scene was shot. It was brilliant manipulation from David Chase and made a perfectly innocent and ordinary scene seem so sinister and dangerous.

I agree with jerkstore that Tony's life would be full of the same paranoia from now on. Anyone could be a shooter coming for him, anywhere, any time. And the abrupt ending... I still love it. Just like with real life, there's no wrapped up ending, just moments.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Mar 2, 2008

sterito
Jul 8, 2002
cheese flavored

Otep posted:

Does anyone have the link for a SNL skit with an unidentified New Jersey Resident?

It's on Hulu. http://www.hulu.com/watch/1456/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-with-james-gandolfini

If you don't have access, check out the Hulu thread.

Otep
Mar 22, 2003
SEVAS TRA
Thanks for the link. That's probably my favorite comedy skit about the Sopranos next to the MadTV one.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Otep posted:

Thanks for the link. That's probably my favorite comedy skit about the Sopranos next to the MadTV one.

I love how everyone goes nuts the second he walks out. :xd:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Anyone want to hire some subpar Sopranos impersonators?

I think Furio is my favorite.

Site: http://www.bubbygram.com/sopranos.htm

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 10, 2008

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Carmella isn't bad, but "Furio" looks like some random guy who dresses like Furio.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Freeze posted:

Carmella isn't bad, but "Furio" looks like some random guy who dresses like Furio.

The Dr. Melfi one looks like Melfi and Livia melted together:

http://www.bubbygram.com/lorrainebracco.htm

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Something is missing on this site...wait, I know! Where is the Sopranos theme midi file playing while we browse the page?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Freeze posted:

Something is missing on this site...wait, I know! Where is the Sopranos theme midi file playing while we browse the page?

I don't know, but speaking of media, I've currently got Tony's goofy ringtone on my phone.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

I don't know, but speaking of media, I've currently got Tony's goofy ringtone on my phone.

Any link to that? I can't remember his ringtone at all.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ishamael posted:

Any link to that? I can't remember his ringtone at all.

It's hard to describe. It's a series of beeps that make an unrecognizable tune, and Tony had it right up until the last episode, even though it sounds like a tone from 1998.

discstickers
Jul 29, 2004

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It's hard to describe. It's a series of beeps that make an unrecognizable tune, and Tony had it right up until the last episode, even though it sounds like a tone from 1998.

Wasn't it one of the default RAZR tones?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

discstickers posted:

I think even earlier than that. He's had it since at least season four, which was back in 2002, and I don't think Razor phones have been out that long. Besides, most of the tones on Razor phones are comprised of a few different sounds to create a tune, rather than just a series of the same beeps with different pitches.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

I think even earlier than that. He's had it since at least season four, which was back in 2002, and I don't think Razor phones have been out that long. Besides, most of the tones on Razor phones are comprised of a few different sounds to create a tune, rather than just a series of the same beeps with different pitches.

From what I remember his ringtone was one of the default motorola tones.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

discstickers posted:

I own a RAZR and I checked for it there first and it's not one of the defaults.

Here's a link to what it sounds like.

http://www.crackberry.com/ringtone/tony-sopranos-ringtone-unknown

Green Vulture
Jun 9, 2007
Just a neighborly reminder that you're a goddamned retard.
Thanks for mentioning ringtones on the show...now I'm having a flashback to Ralphie's Rocky theme ringtone going off while Janice is shoving a vibrator up his rear end for being a "hoo-ore!" :gonk:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Tony's ringtone is a really old Ericsson one, which makes it even more amusing when it shows up on his Razr.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

MrBling posted:

Tony's ringtone is a really old Ericsson one, which makes it even more amusing when it shows up on his Razr.

I assume the ringtones are added by the show's sound people after filming. Otherwise why go through the trouble of putting that on a RAZR for the show if you only wanted a default sounding ring?

EDIT: Speaking of ringtones does anyone know what Paulie's was when his phone rang during the Cleaver premiere?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

jerkstore77 posted:

EDIT: Speaking of ringtones does anyone know what Paulie's was when his phone rang during the Cleaver premiere?

I just watched that part again and it sounds like "Cecilia" by Paul Simon.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Ive just started watching all of the series again. Up to end of season 2. gently caress, I forgot how good season 2 is...

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Ive just started watching all of the series again. Up to end of season 2. gently caress, I forgot how good season 2 is...

It might be the best season, honestly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Pogue_Mahone posted:

What's interesting is that both the first and second seasons were each supposed to be the "last" season. In the Sopranos book, Chase mentions that first season as mostly self-contained, and if you go back and watch it again, it is for the most part. He described the story as "a man, his mother and his uncle" and that by the end, the mother and uncle had pretty much been taken out of the picture, and it would've ended well. However, the success made it so the second season was a must, and necessitated the addition of Richie Aprile and the closure of the Big Pussy storyline, which the audience was originally supposed to be left wondering about at the end of the first. And again, at the end of the second season, both of those storylines came to a close and, aside from Tony's arrest over the stolen plane tickets from the Scatino bust-out, everything was more or less taken care of. I guess that's why they used that montage at the end of the episode that went over all the areas of the Soprano family business empire, as it would've made a fitting ending to the show. I further guess that's why the third season seemed like a restart, especially with Nancy Marchand's death.

Food for thought.

Nurse Ratchet
Aug 5, 2005

I feel pretty today.
One of the scenes in the whole series that moved me the most was at the end of "the Blue Comet" (2nd to last episode of season 6/part 2) - where Tony is laying on the bed with a gun. This is after Silvio and Bobby Bacala have both been hit.

The song playing is Tindersticks' "Running Wild (extended instrumental)" I would do anything to be able to download this version - I can't find it anywhere. That scene just about moved me to tears...it does every time I see it.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
"Join the Club" was on A&E last night and I remembered two things that I never figured out.

1. Did we ever figure out who was the voice of Tony's wife in the dream sequence?

2. What was the symbolism of the monks?

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

coronaball posted:

"Join the Club" was on A&E last night and I remembered two things that I never figured out.

1. Did we ever figure out who was the voice of Tony's wife in the dream sequence?

I took the monks to be representative of Christopher. Crystal Monestary = Christopher Moltisanti.

The monks were angry at Tony for something he didn't feel was his fault, and felt that someone had to pay for it.

What's interesting is that both the first and second seasons were each supposed to be the "last" season. In the Sopranos book, Chase mentions that first season as mostly self-contained, and if you go back and watch it again, it is for the most part. He described the story as "a man, his mother and his uncle" and that by the end, the mother and uncle had pretty much been taken out of the picture, and it would've ended well. However, the success made it so the second season was a must, and necessitated the addition of Richie Aprile and the closure of the Big Pussy storyline, which the audience was originally supposed to be left wondering about at the end of the first. And again, at the end of the second season, both of those storylines came to a close and, aside from Tony's arrest over the stolen plane tickets from the Scatino bust-out, everything was more or less taken care of. I guess that's why they used that montage at the end of the episode that went over all the areas of the Soprano family business empire, as it would've made a fitting ending to the show. I further guess that's why the third season seemed like a restart, especially with Nancy Marchand's death.

Food for thought.

This is a really interesting idea, because Seasons 1 and 2 definitely have the most traditional structure. You have antagonists introduced at the beginning, and by the end of the season they are gone or their story is resolved. Season 1, Junior and Livia. Season 2, Richie and Janice.

Really, Junior never became as large a part of the show again as he was in Season 1. Which is too bad.

You can feel the more meandering stories and dead-end ideas, that became such an interesting and frustrating part of later seasons, really start to show themselves during Season 3 and later. There really aren't any hanging plotlines left after Season 2, with the exception of Livia's tickets and Tony's therapy.

The tickets disappeared with Nancy Marchand, and the therapy sputtered on for years before finally coming to an anticlimactic end.

While the open-ended, real-life feel of later seasons was more daring and original, those first 2 seasons really had so much urgency and energy that it's hard to beat. I lent all my DVDs to a coworker, who powered through Seasons 1 and 2 in a couple weeks, went through Season 3 at a good clip, and has now spent almost 2 months slowly making his way through Season 4.

I'm not saying the later seasons are inferior, in fact I think almost all their greatest episodes came from the later seasons. But those first 2 seasons are so tight and taut and gripping that you'd be hard-pressed to recommend anything in television higher.

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 25, 2008

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

coronaball posted:

1. If you watch it again, you'll notice that each time he talks to his wife on the phone, which is twice, it's a different voice. I could be wrong on this, but my fiancee and I both swear that it was Gloria Trillo the first time, and Valentina the second.

2. What Ishmael said.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
up to the start of season 5 now.

Christophers intervention near the end of season 4 is hillarious. I was pissing myself laughing when Paulie starts the big brawl hehe.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Pogue_Mahone posted:

up to the start of season 5 now.

Christophers intervention near the end of season 4 is hillarious. I was pissing myself laughing when Paulie starts the big brawl hehe.

I don't write nothin' down, so I'll keep this short and sweet. You're weak. You're outta control. And you've become an embarrassment to yourself and everybody else.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

1. If you watch it again, you'll notice that each time he talks to his wife on the phone, which is twice, it's a different voice. I could be wrong on this, but my fiancee and I both swear that it was Gloria Trillo the first time, and Valentina the second.

2. What Ishmael said.

1. I thought it might've been Charmaine Bucco too. I guess we'll never know.

2. That makes perfect sense now.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

To me it sounded like Gene Pontecorvo's wife, actually.

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!
I just finished the last DVD last night and I'm really glad I watched the whole series. A few of my friends said to stop after season 3 but I didn't feel there was any drop-off in quality until the beginning of season 6, which seemed like it took a few episodes before things got moving again. The first episode in season 6 felt like it was from a different production company. The lighting and the dialogue especially seemed really off.

I read the Wikipedia episode summaries as I went along. They were a big help for pointing out plot details that I missed, but unfortunately I spoiled some huge stuff accidentally, like how Christopher bites it. I also saw Tony linked to "List of FBI informants" and I thought he would flip at some point during season 6. Until the very end, I kept waiting for something sufficiently awful to happen so that he'd go running to Agent Harris, but it looks like it was just for how he was ratting out the Pakistani guys.

The end of "Made in America" reminded me a lot of how Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels ended. That type of ending seems merciful to me instead of having to see something bad happen to a character you like.

If we're posting favorite lines then I always remembered the part where Tony and Furio were trying to intimidate that doctor and Furio clocks the guy in the head and says "You have a bee in you hat!"

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

Mr. Pither posted:

The end of "Made in America" reminded me a lot of how Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels ended. That type of ending seems merciful to me instead of having to see something bad happen to a character you like.

I absolutely do not believe that anything happened to Tony at the end of Made in America.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Mr. Pither posted:

If we're posting favorite lines then I always remembered the part where Tony and Furio were trying to intimidate that doctor and Furio clocks the guy in the head and says "You have a bee in you hat!"

Stupid-a loving game!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPgxQkcIVs

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Ishamael posted:

I absolutely do not believe that anything happened to Tony at the end of Made in America.

Nor, for that matter, to the character hanging off the bridge in Lock Stock.

insideoutsider
Aug 31, 2003

You want a van? I get you a van.
Blah blah blah, just finished the series and it is brilliant.

I'm going back through the dvds, I only have seasons 1 and 2, and six part 2 on blu-ray. I was just wondering what you folks thought were the best commentary tracks. I'm listening to the "Blue Comet" commentary and it is alright but not TOO engaging.

Any thoughts? If there are good tracks on other seasons feel free to throw those out too, I'll probably end up finishing out my collection this weekend.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
just curious - how much of our questions about the symbolism of Tony's coma dreams are answered in the dvd commentaries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pither
May 28, 2006

Hello, friends!

AFewBricksShy posted:

Stupid-a loving game!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcPgxQkcIVs
Hahaha, I'd forgotten how good that scene was. It takes some panache to look intimidating when you're driving a golf cart.

insideoutsider posted:

Any thoughts? If there are good tracks on other seasons feel free to throw those out too, I'll probably end up finishing out my collection this weekend.
Adriana's actress does the commentary for "Long Term Parking" and it's pretty interesting. David Chase does a good one on the season 4 finale. I tried a few of the other ones but they were usually boring or sparse.

• Locked thread