Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I'm making the goon pulled pork recipe (brown sugar + Worcestershire) for the third time today, and it's been a big hit with my boyfriend/roommates/friends. I'd recommend it to anybody. It's so easy and delicious and cheap!

I have plans for making chili and lasagna in there soon, and I'll check back here to let you all know how it goes.

Here's a great livejournal community (livejournal, I know, I know) for crock pot recipes and general discussion that I recently found:
http://community.livejournal.com/what_a_crock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I've never done this before, but I'm making chili in my crock right now. I pretty much just looked at some crockpot chili recipes online and then threw a whole bunch of stuff in my crock loosely based on what I read.

Here's what I did

~1 lb ground beef, browned
diced tomatoes
tomato sauce
tomato paste
black beans
pinto beans
kidney beans
diced onion/green pepper/celery
1 packet of chili seasoning
some cayenne pepper

It looks pretty good so far, I'll taste it a couple hours before dinner and probably add more spices. I don't think the spice packet was meant to make this much chili so it's probably lacking a bit.

Any suggestions? I mean I think I'm doing okay. It LOOKS like good chili so I'm probably on the right track!

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

jerkstore77 posted:

Looks good, but how thick is it getting with the tomato sauce? I'd be afraid it would be too thin for a chili.

Maybe put a little unsweetened cocoa in there too if you have some.

It actually turned out pretty great. It was thick enough, the tomato paste helped a lot. I ended up not having to add any spices.

My roommates and boyfriend enjoyed it, so I'm satisfied. I'll definitely be doing this chili again, maybe with more vegetables next time (zucchini? corn?).

I'll be trying some crockpot lasagna soon!

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

publicblast posted:

2) Learned this from an awesome cookbook: slow cookers are awesome for making Caramelized Onions. Why stand in front of the stove for 1-2 hours, stirring the pot like an idiot, when you can set up the crock pot, go to sleep, and wake up feeling like you've just made love to a pot of French onion soup?

Caramelized Onions

3 lbs sweet onions (walla walla, vidalia, etc.) [6 - 7 onions]
1 stick of good butter

1. Slice the onions into nice big rings. Dump them in the crock pot along with the butter. Cook on low for at least 10 hours. You're not looking for "light brown and soft"-- you're looking for "mahogany, almost black, and disintegrating." I cooked mine for 14 hours. You pretty much can't burn these.

2. Use a slotted spoon to remove the onions, drain, and store in a glass jar. You can actually re-refrigerate the drained butter and use it to flavor things. Onion butter!

These onions are versatile and wondrous. They make a great omelet filling, a noble sandwich topper, are obscenely great when mixed into ground beef for burgers, make nice additions to cheese tarts...etc.

If you want French onion soup, warm up some beef broth, add a dash of red wine, and dump in a nice handful or two of the caramelized onions. Put in oven-proof bowls, top with a slice of French bread and grated Gruyere, and brown those mothers in the broiler.

This is such an awesome idea... mmmm

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I did the white chili and I thought it was bland until adding a fuckload of cheese, cilantro and some sour cream (as suggested). Even then, I would probably sub out a bunch of beans for various veggies next time.

I still like normal tomato-based chili better.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Cross posting from the dumb questions thread:

So I want to crisp up the skin of a slow-cooked chicken. I have a crock pot with a stone insert (this), so I figure I can just pop it in the oven for a little bit, right? Should I do this before I cook the chicken, or at the end of cooking time? Approximately how long/what temperature?

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I've done that with a whole chicken several times with great success. Did you have it on high or low, and how long was it in there for?

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I don't know a ton about what "good" bbq sauce should be like, but I love Stubb's on pulled pork.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
I think all slow cookers have that removable pot, but the liner just makes cleanup SO EASY. And I hate cleaning so much. Totally worth it.

By the way, to the guy above who said the pulled pork was a bit dry -- you gotta add some of that delicious juice left in your crock!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

The SARS Volta posted:

Anyone have experience crock-potting baby back ribs, and have suggestions on what to coat them with? Thinking of trying it next Thursday for the BCS championship game.

I did this once and it turned out pretty tasty:

http://accidentalscientist.blogspot.com/2006/02/easiest-ribs-youll-ever-make-or-love.html

I'm still trying to figure out what to make for that game too. Go Gators :)