Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

I love crock pots. They make everything smell good for hours. I'm definitely going to try that soup recipe. Been wanting some good soup for a while...

I would definitely recommend getting an elliptical one over a round one. I was given a round one as a gift and it's awkward to use, especially if you want to have any kind of meat with bone in it.

I have two favorite recipes, one simple as can be and one more complicated but delicious!

"Borrowed" from About.com...

Italian Beef:

• 3 1/2 to 4 pounds beef roast, sirloin tip or rump roast
• 12 ounces (jar) Italian Giardiniera, drained, less if you want it less spicy
• 12 ounces (jar) pepperoncini peppers
• 1 envelope Italian salad dressing (zesty Italian)
• 10 ounce can condensed beef broth

Place beef roast in a 3 1/2 to 5-quart slow cooker. Combine Giardiniera, pepperoncini peppers, dry salad dressing mix, and condensed beef broth.
Add all mixture to crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW for 12 to 14 hours, until meat is very tender.

I get the spiciest Giardiniera I can find and cut up the pepperoncinis a bit since they seem to give up a little more flavor that way.

"Borrowed" from foodnetwork.com...

Chinese Slow-Cooked Pork Shoulder:

• 3 pounds trimmed pork shoulder
• 1 teaspoon Chinese five-spice powder
• 1 teaspoon kosher salt
• 3 cups chicken broth
• 1 cup dark soy sauce
• 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
• 4 scallions, cut into 2-inch pieces
• 1 garlic head, halved
• 1 (2-inch) knob unpeeled fresh ginger, thinly sliced
• 8 dried shiitake mushrooms, optional
• Hot cooked Chinese egg noodles, for serving

Rub the pork all over with the five-spice powder and salt. Add the chicken broth, soy sauce, brown sugar, sesame oil, and red pepper to the slow cooker. Stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the scallions, garlic, ginger, the mushrooms, if using, and the meat, turning it a few times to coat. Cover the cooker, set it on HIGH, and cook for 4 hours. Set the cooker on LOW and cook until the meat is very tender, at least another 2 hours (6 hours total).

Transfer the pork to a platter, cover lightly, and let rest 15 minutes. Meanwhile, pour the cooking liquid into a measuring cup and skim off and discard the vegetables and fat that rise to the surface. Slice the meat and serve warm or at room temperature with noodles and the sauce on the side.

I don't think I've ever actually bought pork shoulder so I just substitute in country style ribs and I pre-roast them in the oven for about half an hour to get them browned and render some of the fat off. This recipe is extremely good, but also very salty. I love salt, but if you don't, definitely use low sodium broth and soy sauce. The chinese five-spice blends very well with the rest of the flavors over the cooking time. Definitely one of my favorite recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

angerbot posted:

I've been wanting to make the italian beef thing for a while, but I always run into some sort of mixup like the store is out of pepperoncinis or the Italian dressing mix is in the frozen foods section for some reason. I'm planning on trying it again soon, but do you destem the peppers/ cut up the larger bits of giardinera?

Hey, I think that was my recipe, though I'm sure I stole it from somewhere else...

I don't destem or cut up the giardinera because no one around here is particularly fond of eating them whole, so we just use them for flavor. If you want to eat them though, cutting them up to the size you would want to eat all at once is a good idea. I do cut some holes in the pepperoncinis though because I find the flavor is stronger if the insides are exposed.

I need to make this again now, it's delicious.