Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T. J. Eckleburg
Apr 10, 2007
sorry about the clock.

My background: I am a technical writer, and I just got a job working with developers who write in Java. Previously I'd been working with Python developers. In school I took a class in python and did well (and in fortran, ugh). I've done a little self-study, and I've got halfway through the codeacademy lessons for python without much trouble. I have a personal interest in learning to code and might want to switch into a developer position sometime later in my career.

My question: How hard is java to learn compared to python? Basically, I know the standard advice for a newbie is to learn python first, but I have reason to switch to learning java if that's feasible. I just don't know how steep the learning curve is. I also don't really know where to start on learning by myself, since there are no codeacademy lessons for java and I'm not in school anymore. Would it be worth signing up for an intro class at a community college like this one or purchasing the textbook for that course, or another textbook?

This might be an unusual question, but thanks for the help anyway. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU