Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The answer is XML obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Its fine I think. Most programmers know about chaining and anyone getting anal about it will probably just find something else to nit-pick in your code.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Most people don't use javac because it can be a bitch because Java program uses so many libs but you want to use the -classpath flag

code:
javac -classpath lib\whatever.jar src\my\package\MyProgram.java
Then to run it
code:
java -classpath lib\whatever.jar MyProgram
If the program gets complicated look at making an executable jar on compile and include the external jar in your jar. I just do this with Eclipse though so no clue about the commands

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 31, 2014

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Gravity Pike posted:

I literally installed Kepler today, and it didn't come with. :confused:

It's in the Java EE version.

After being forced to use IntelliJ for like 8 months I still prefer Eclipse.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Janitor Prime posted:

Also the main advantage of the annotation is that it saves you from copy and paste errors that leave the name of the previous class instead of the new one. I've had this happen to us a couple of times and it slipped by code review.

This is happened to my projects more then I care to admit...

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Bleusilences posted:

I am way not finish with my project obviously but I am running problems with my tester, this is the first class of programming and we just have learn about object oriented programming. I am have been at it for hours today without progress. So this is the main class (not finished):

and this is the tester (there is some stuff that is useless in there; it is just a tester) that gives me error:

Error: cannot find symbol
symbol: variable getSuit
and that error is driving me mad, I don't know why it's doing this and I check the internet and they mostly say that I forgot an ;. Which is not the case.

e: I like baka kaba response better

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Cool site I found if anyone wants to host a hobby webapp online or gently caress around with cloud poo poo your managers keep talking about from RedHat. Pretty much the only credible site I found that hosts java projects.

Found it while googling around for a host for a small app a goon asked for. Once you run the set up poo poo it'll generate the SSH token and a git repo for you. When you push your app upstream it automatically compiles and starts the app via Maven.

https://www.openshift.com/

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

The jre let's you run your code, the jdk let's you build and compile the code. Download the jdk.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

hooah posted:

Aren't PyCharm and Android Studio both forks of IntelliJ?

Yes

That said I still prefer Eclipse

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

carry on then posted:

My intro to programming textbook was Objects First With Java, but that book also used BlueJ so eh.

Me too.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Pebble works pretty well for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Yea, if you are modernizing a bunch of internal apps I would suggest going with a web interface instead, if possible. You are going to be running a server to process everything into JSON already.

Otherwise use JavaFX