Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Q: I have a <TV> and games look fantastic but television and most movies look a bit strange.
The movement and lighting looks more like British television than American.
Right now the LOST finale is reminiscent of Benny Hill or a straight to DVD sci-fi flick.

A: Turn off SmoothMotion or MotionPlus or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Q: I would like to wall mount my TV. Where should I put it?

1. How high?

In short: Not too high. Above the fireplace is usually too high.

The general recommendation seems to be that no more than 1/3 of the screen should be above eye level for a seated viewer.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5717077_high-mount-flat-screen-tv.html posted:

THX recommends an eye level line of site for the back row, with no more that a 15 degree of tilt required for viewers in the front row.

The reasoning is that when looking up, the eyelid has to be completely open, leading to dry eyes. When viewing straight ahead or at slight down angle, the eye is partially closed (and happier).

Read this excellent guide from the THX consumers' programme:

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/home-theater/hdtv-set-up/

2. How far away?
This depends on whether you're building a dedicated home theater room with a projector screen, or just trying to squeeze something into your living room. THX (see above) has recommendations for the former, but they are usually too close for most people. Tastes vary wildly in this.

THX posted:

To determine the best seat-to-screen distance in your living room for a 1080p display, THX recommends dividing the diagonal screen by .84. For example, a plasma or LCD TV with a 65-inch screen divided by .84 equals a 77-inch viewing distance (6.5 feet).