Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
Thanky.

quote:

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:
I would also like to hear about what specific concerns/issues inspire Dan in his work and why he decided on this recently more explicit direction

I think the cartoon has always been explicit; I just kept the sexual innuendoes buried because I was hoping to see Faithmouse syndicated one day. Now that I realize that won't happen it doesn't matter.

All the characters have sexual motivation, which I think is honest. If you consider the issues of greatest concern to Christian conservatives and Catholics, you come right up to the fact that sex is at the heart of all of these issues, and then the conversation can't proceed further.

As I posted recently on POE-

a few statements I believe are true-

God is real, and God is love.

God is the creator of procreation, desire, and eros.

God wants us to be happy.

I like to draw naked mice.

Drawing naked mice makes me happy.

Otherwise, I believe a natural function of art is to reconcile disparate elements. I also take myself much less seriously. I mean, except for a few thousand people on the internet hardly anyone cares about what I do, so I might as well draw whatever I'd like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

quote:

Tim, was there any specific inspiration for the "Dr. Aborto" story? Do the Anthropomorphics for Christ interface with the abortion aspect of the story in any particular way, or are they there as a more general affirmation of being a Christian furry?

I drew a few cartoons last year with the Shar-Pei dog characters as abortion docs, so I think (graphically) that's where the idea came from.
Without giving away too much because I'm still sketching out the story, Faithmouse and the gang aren't affirming Christian furries. The furries in my comic are people who pretend to be something they aren't.

quote:

As a Christian and artist, do you find any antecedents in "Christian eroticism?" St. Therese or the Interior Castle, for instance? Or do you think this understanding of Jesus' love couldn't really properly be expressed until the modern age?
Actually it's present starting with Song of Songs, which is an excellent allegory illustrating relationship between carnal and spiritual love. Pope Benedict XVI's Deus Caritas Est made the point that denying carnal expression of God's love is indeed unbalanced. I think if Benedict was writing in a time in which Christianity wasn't at war with secularism, and wasn't the focus of most of his Pontificate, that encyclical would have been recognized as more profound.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Foggy posted:

dan lacey what made you decide to start your incredible comeback in LF

A goon asked me to at Poe-news.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Oligopsony posted:

Dan, could I ask for some clarification on this cartoon?

Is Timothy's prurience directed at Britney, Paris, or Miley Cyrus? If the latter, do you think this falls under the proper realm of God's blessing of sexual desire as well, or is the sphere of blessing not infinitely wide?

I'm happy to have served as a vessel of historical inevitability

All. Timothy A. Bear is of indeterminate age, and is also a self-righteous, wishy-washy teddy bear.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

in popular culture posted:

Dan Lacey whats your motivation for hanging around POE and SA? Money? Notoriety? The hope you'll influence or convert people?

I just changed. I still have all my conservative links posted on my site, but if you look through my link and post acknowledgements you'll notice it's pretty rare for a conservative site to post one of my cartoons now.

I've been posting at POE for years and haven't once preached to anyone. I purposefully leave my pro-Chrisitanity cartoons off of sites I post to. I don't argue in political threads. I think my attitude started to change when I committed to Catholicism. Sure, I would like people to be interested in the cartoons; who wouldn't? I think in commissions I've made about fifty dollars during the past two years.

I just had a cock in my mouth last night; I went to Chipotle and ate a chicken burrito.

GayBear's crucifix is actually a San Damiano cross.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Code Jockey posted:

loool

dan, you card

For what it's worth, I hate that cartoon.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

in popular culture posted:

Followup question. Which is most accurate:

a) You still want to preach through your cartoons but your subject matter just isn't compatible w/maintream conservatism
b) You still personally have strong faith but no longer care to preach so you might as well enjoy yourself
c) You don't take your faith seriously anymore and that's why you're drawing so many cocks and buttholes

Can I pick both B and C?

You know, I draw a lot of pussies too, and tits-

Three recent projects; a miniature portrait of William F Buckley in progess, an ACEO painting of A Bunny With A Pancake On Its Head, and a cartoon of Taint working on stage in a sex club. Hard to see the detail on the first page, but that's the start of a comic wherein Taint masturbates while fantasizing about Barack Obama.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Hi Dan, my question is why did you add an echo effect to the phrase "baked a cake"?

That's how the song goes-
http://skreemr.com/results.jsp?q=baked+a+cake&search=SkreemR+Search

Timothy A. Bear fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Mar 2, 2008

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
Previous to that cartoon-
NSFW

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

TheElectronicOne posted:

question:

why are you still angry at the ACLU if you are creating speech which would probably be called "obscene" by the AFA and so forth

You end up with political correctness and less free speech for everyone if you use the First Amendment as a tool to hammer Christianity. There isn't a right 'not to hear someone else's' free speech; that's pretty much a modern concept which acts as an enemy and repressor of actual free speech, which by nature offends.

I dropped drawing my weekly Stop The ACLU cartoon a while back, by the way.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Barry Convex posted:

Dan, do you in any way regret your vehement support of the Iraq war or your demonization of its opponents? Ditto for your stance in the 2004 election.

No, but the execution of Saddam Hussein disgusted me. Also, I promised to integrate more 'liberal' cartoons into Faithmouse, so moving away from military related cartoons seemed like a good compromise. It's not as if there's a shortage of war-related editorial cartoons.

quote:

Also, could you please provide an explanation of the "666 Cola" cartoon? (I can't find the image myself, unfortunately.)

I can't find it either. I've actually been working on a backup computer for the past few weeks so I can't search for it as I normally would.

That cartoon is a visual allusion. The field the characters are running across is actually a blackjack table with the cards spread out in rows; the '666 Cola' building in the background is a slot machine.

Timothy A. Bear fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Mar 2, 2008

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I miss those so I drew some fanart.

Avatars would be pretty rad idea!

Oh, that's superior. Better than mine.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
Wash and wear tag. The 'hair' coming out of the top of his head is a loose thread.

That cartoon is all about the fact that he got off watching an execution, so it's okay if people assume it's a plug.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

is 5 posted:

and a giant motherfucking dickwire coming out of the computer.

Dan Lacey, how does it feel to have retained your drawing skill while going completely out of you head?

The tissue boxes are the Twin Towers. I feel fine.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

is 5 posted:

e: Wait hang on, I got a better question on that picture. What the hell is going on with the staircase going towards the computer? Did you just have space to fill, decide to go Escher all over the place, and then changed your mind halfway through? and what is that apparently choking phallic object supposed to be?

The wooden staircase in those videos was like something out of Nosferatu; I think that's where it came from. I also like the idea of a staircase not being 'quite right'-

Faith and family, from the time Timothy feel asleep and woke up in 'the future.' Staircase not quite right.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Jimchuck Spanner posted:

what does the two headed thing represent

Mary and Martha, conjoined twins.

Inspired by Abigail and Brittany Hensel, who I met about a year ago while they were shopping at a mall here in Minnesota. They were very sweet.

Would like to finish the above one day.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

is 5 posted:

Ok, so what's going on in this one? I get that the Magic Pen of Liberalism takes god out of the Gov't and that you have a little "no crosses" thing on the sign, but why is faithmouse carrying a harp? Is she pushing it like it's on a stroller, or is it one of those little wheely half-cart things that you use to move boxes? And is that the street or is the sidewalk hovering over some terrifying abyss?

That's a cartoon from my unfinished 'A Faithmouse Christmas.' Each year I do a little more work on the series.

My wife is the inspiration for the character of Faithmouse, and she's a harpist. She's been in a number of films. The harp is on a harp carrier. The street scene is downtown Minneapolis in winter. Secular's in based on the now defunct Dayton's department store chain; upscale and old-fashioned.

THE FAITHMOUSE THEME SONG - 'SING PRAISE'
Composed by Chris Ward, played and sung by Faithmouse-

Sing Praise

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Occurrence at Owl Crick posted:

Dan I dig not living a double life here but I can't see how you can still make money from your Christian themed paintings, do your customers just not care or not know about your other works? Its just that I can easily imagine some or most people not wanting to buy a painting because of that. Regardless your paintings are astounding and you rule.

Thanks. I'm not making money on anything so it doesn't matter.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

saravg posted:

make this thread last forever

Goodnight!

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Abortion is Murder posted:

dan could draw some sketches that would represent your take on the seminal graphic novel "maus?"

nothing fancy, just some quick drawings

That sounds interesting, but right now I don't even have time to ink my own drawings, although I don't think the pencils look too bad.

I'm off to have pizza, and after that I'll post the next cartoon in the Taint/Obama series.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
I look younger here.

I went out of my way to look older and more distinguished in the portrait pic, if anyone will believe that.

Everyone should have threads just about themselves.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
NSFW http://www.faithmouse.com/obama-surge.gif NSFW

Sorry that took so long.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

grah posted:

Timothy A. Bear if I bought you this avatar would you prefer the title text read "I like to draw naked mice. Drawing naked mice makes me happy" or "Wherever we go, whatever we do, we're gonna go through it together!" " or do you have some other still more awesome idea?

If you'd like to do that, thanks! How about 'Coup De Grah'(completed by Grah.)

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
does the crossbuster under the pen in that picture have anything to do with the band Bad Religion?
Nope.

Why does gay bear's shoe come off in the last panel of that one strip? Is it because he got a boner?
Allusion to Cinderella losing her slipper.

lol, dan, you're a freeper?
Have been for many years, but I had a falling out regarding Mike Hucakabee. I was strongly anti-Huck, but pro-Thompson freepers pissed me off so I drew and posted a few pro-Huckabee cartoons, got called a traitor and haven't been back much since.

Is that a trail of empty beer cans behind them?
Hay rolls.

mr lacey do you have any sketches of your wife
A number, but she has her clothes on in every one. Taint in Faith's sister, by the way.

dan, would you be willing to draw me if i agreed to make a nice sketch of you?
Sure!

Hey Dan I got a serious question. I first saw your comic a couple years ago when MY BOYFRIEND linked me to it. I was going through it and it seemed like the same conservative Christian stuff I'd seen everywhere else, until I saw the strips with Gaybear. I was interested at first because you didn't dismiss Gaybear as evil immediately, but then surprised again because you seem to make Gaybear's crisis of faith sexual in nature.

This was awhile ago, and it seems like your view towards religion has changed since then, so maybe you can look back and have a little more objective perspective on what you were thinking back then. Is Gaybear supposed to be representative of gay Christians? I've seriously been wanting to have that whole thing explained since I saw the strips years ago.

Also another question you say you like drawing naked mice, and you seem to draw Taint naked most. Have you fetishized the politics you disagree with? I ask because it would follow in a vein I've seen explored by Dan Savage, who says that gay guys like Fireman and Soldier uniforms because they embody a kind of homophobia that becomes fetishized somehow. If Taint is more or less some kind of fantasy of yours, then I think that'd fall in line with that, which would be pretty interesting.

I've read that sort of analysis before. You know, I had a hard time drawing 'liberal' cartoons, every though I said I would do so in order to have the cartoon become more balanced. It's difficult to fake a POV and still feel any enthusiasm. So I started to look for something else which would entertain people who hated Faithmouse, something I wanted to draw. Getting into the sexual motivations of the characters seemed a natural solution. Also I've always been a huge fan of underground comics, so it took it as a big green light.

I think there's probably some truth to the 'fetish' angle, but I hope that isn't all of it. I also began to slam my own side in a number of different ways, including by making Timothy a real jerk.

Both Ms. StarMole and GayBear are gay; GayBear is in conflict and Ms. StarMole is not. I've had GayBear go through a few stages, from Gay to straight and then back to being Gay and deciding to become a priest, which bored me. Right now he's just back to being plain old Gay Christian in conflict again, which is just more interesting.

Dan are you still unemployed and following that dream or have you picked up a day job?
I've been registering with a number of job agencies lately while still trolling the job sites. I have solid computer graphic skills, but creatives are having a tough time here in the upper Midwest. Lately I've been putting a lot of energy into becoming an Ebay art auction tycoon. If you look for my work on Ebay check out the 'mature' category, where I'm adding new work and previous sketches.

Hey Dan you've already been asked this before, but what's your take on Mallard Fillmore? I think he's okay, but the strip tends to veer into Garfield territory with the repetitive gags and observational 'laziness' humor.

Actually what's your opinion on Garfield? I always figured Nermal was pretty gay, so maybe that was an inspiration for your characters?

God bless the Mallard cartoonist; I know he's had trouble with alcohol during the past year...but his cartoon isn't well drawn. The only reason I see it is by forum posts, otherwise I have no idea what's in the newspaper. Newspaper cartoons are the equivalent of dead people laughing.

I started to sketch a Mallard parody cartoon, by the way, but pulled back because I didn't feel like hurting the guy. Mallard is drunk in a bar upset about the 2006 election, and Faith is a barmaid trying to keep him from driving. In the last panel Mallard is about to purposefully crash into the side of a VW bus carrying the major Doonesbury characters, while sceaming something like 'Now we die, together!' How I feel about newspaper comics, I guess.

Lasagna cat rules.

hmmm yeah that explains it perfectly
I should have mentioned that that cartoon is part of a short series of about ten cartoons. GayBear's former boyfriend Claude is chasing him (and the gang) because he doesn't want GayBear to go to bible study.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
Well, perhaps I should finish that Mallard cartoon. I'll have to find it first.

Here in Minnesota we get to see all the big Scandahovians. Big cultural exchange, you betcha.

Breathed rushes his stuff now to the point where it's hard to look at. Calvin was well-crafted at a time when most other newspaper cartoonists had abandoned the art form. Krazy Kat is my favorite of the traditional strips, followed closely by Krazy Kat.

also if you're bored you should sketch out some parodies of prominent catholic parishes in the twin cities area starting with saint agnes because your interpretation of local church politics is probably mind-blowingly awesome

I was doing this, and met twice with our local Catholic Spirit editor who was interested in an editorial cartoon, but I think Faithmouse scared him.

Anyway I drew a bunch of those, bundled them together with related cartoons and submitted them as 'Vatican Kitty' to the syndicates, but nothing.

Archbishop Nein, based on a our local coadjutor Archbishop Neinstedt. Can't imagine why the Catholic Spirit didn't want to print this....

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Deep Hurting posted:

This has absolutely no visual flow whatsoever. Instead of guiding my eye through the storyboard, the composition is just jumping around wildly and erratically. I get that there may be a thematic purpose for that, but the fact remains that it obscures the temporal logic of the comic so much that the message and visual symbolism are almost completely lost. The fingers of the shadow positioned around the Pope's cross? That's clever! But the panel should be structured in a way that naturally draws the eye to that spot, without pulling it out of the flow of the dialogue (which you don't have here anyway). Instead, when I isolate the panel by itself, my eye just drifts around aimlessly–the place where my eye SHOULD be going FIRST is practically the LAST place it goes, if it goes there at all. Put it in the context of the other 3(?) panels and I feel like I'm desperately in need of a map to find my way around this place.

You mentioned that you liked Krazy Kat. George Herriman set the bar for making bizarre layouts flow. But, the thing is

A) He usually had an ENORMOUS canvas to work with
B) You haven't developed the same design sense he had at the height of his career

And you'll notice when you look at his dailies, as opposed to his Sundays, that he tended to be a lot less ambitious in those. You limit your canvas in your comics while trying to stuff Herriman-level design ambition into it. It's not going to work. If that's what you want to do, then you've picked the wrong period in comics to emulate. If you want an example of a cartoonist who's done a great job of reconciling more limited space requirements with great design look no further than Non Sequitur's Wiley Miller, or the already mentioned Watterson.

For what it's worth, whenever I attempt to put a complicated panel layout into a relatively small space, Wiley's my design muse, but there's only so much you can do in a rectangle as it gets smaller and smaller. David Horsey's a good example of a cartoonist who occasionally has strong design with a lot of panels in a space that's more similar to the one you typically use, but his skill in that area is an anomaly among editorial cartoonists.

I suck, so what?

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Kipory posted:

For what it's worth, DH offers this sort of criticism to other artists in the Mallard Fillmore thread. I doubt he is being offensive, just constructive.

Well, I appreciate his taking the time to offer a critique.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
...but I'm not a professional cartoonist, and I'm not capable of developing a more 'logical' style in order to get there. That's what I mean by suck.

I am very content in my suckiness. If I'm doing everything wrong, fantastic.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

DanQuayleDontFail posted:

Also you could shop your strip to CityPages even though it's ... not your demographic they might pick it up just for kicks

Weird that you just made the suggestion, because even though I'm their current 'Best Right-Wing' blogger winner and they've mentioned the cartoon a few times, they refuse to print Faithmouse even so much as to show what it is they're talking about. I've contacted the paper a few times, including a few minutes ago with the suggestion they chose Faithmouse this year as best Left-Wing blog. If you go through my output during the past year I think I quality for that, no more or less than I did for the Right-Wing award.

What happened is that I put the original award up for auction on Ebay for $666 dollars, which seemed to miff them for some reason. City Pages responded to this by contacting a group of local cartoonists who were satirizing my stuff and asked them to contribute cartoons for a cartoonist issue extravaganza. In the first first sentence of the feature they said the entire project was inspired by Faithmouse. But they still won't publish the cartoon.

City Pages also put my original award up for auction themselves (I auctioned an artistic facsimile), and they ended up selling it to the current winner of the Left-Wing blog award, who now owns both. Then they contributed the money to a local Planned Parenthood clinic in my name.

Association of Alernative Newsweeklies story regarding auction

Cartoonist Conspiracy Faithmouse Jam If you dig around here you can find the actual thread where the City Pages editor solicits the group for contributions and asks that they be in the style of the 'Faithmole' parody.

City Pages 'Comix' issue with nod to Faithmouse

Timothy A. Bear fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Mar 3, 2008

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster
Okay, I'll finish the Mallard cartoon. Should have it posted by the end of the day.

Thanks for the avatar, Grah!

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

It would have been a beautiful thing, a Catholic cartoon showcasing the theological conflicts between left and right, but I couldn't get anyone to print it.

Jean/Joan of Snark, couldn't decide on the name. Anyway, I've dropped the storyline so it doesn't matter.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

ReagaNOMNOMicks posted:

That's nice.

I'm not a catholic so I can't comment any further.

Wouldn't want you to feel left out, so here you go-

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

This really should be viewed while listening to the tune.

I think Faithmouse would make a killer animated series.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Deep Hurting posted:

If you didn't care about making your cartoons better, you wouldn't be promoting them and talking about what killer animated series' they'd make.

So I'm deluded, humor me.

Correction: it makes a killer animated series in my brain.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

PresterJohn posted:

So you're completely unaware that you were being a gigantic dick and he was blowing you off in the politest possible way?

Well no...I appreciate the advice, but you can't change anyone else. Some of my cartoons are terrible, but I experiment a lot.

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

saravg posted:

I have this song stuck in my head now and I've never even heard it before

that's how good this drawing is

No, that's how good The Smiths were. Reel Around The Fountain is my favorite, though. Now whenever you see Morrissey you'll think something is wrong and he should be a fetus.

can we get an eta on the mallard strip

By 1 AM Central U.S. time.

Thanks for all the strokes, by the way.

Timothy A. Bear fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Mar 4, 2008

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Clavier posted:

What are your thoughts on John McCain and the 08 Republican race in general? Who did you caucus for and did you support a series of different candidates after they started dropping out?

You know, I'm not supporting anyone. I'm pretty much disgusted by politics. The Thompsonites considered themselves conservative purists, but when they attacked Huckabee's faith solely as a means of trying to topple his power cart I think they revealed themselves to be flaming assbites.

The character have gone through a number of endorsements during the past year, but it was pretty much just as knee-jerk reactions to this or that. Last year Faith supported Alan Keyes. This cartoon is on the border of NSFW, but you have to look hard to be offended (sexbats)-

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Un-witty name posted:

oh duh ok

"taters taters" what's that about, then?

This previous cartoon should help-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timothy A. Bear
Mar 1, 2008

by Fragmaster

Sock It posted:

also: anti-gay? they appear to be wearing stereotypical leather daddy outfits.

No, they're just sexbats. Sexbats show up when and where they're not wanted and generally cause havoc.

This was meant to be the introduction of a series wherein Faith and the gang go to church, as do the sexbats, the latter of which have a favorite place to watch the proceeding from the rafters. Reverend Rhino gives a sermon against sexual immorality, which excites the sexbats (they love a good sermon) to the point where they become loudly improper and are discovered. Double page panel wherein the service stops and everyone looks up to the ceiling wondering 'what the heck is that?' Chase and general hilarity ensues.