Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Galler posted:

Get the 1/2 in chuck and don't worry about RPM. 850-950 is plenty for a hand drill. I'm not really sure what the difference between the two $150 ones are but get one of those.

e: Amazon.ca has them cheaper:
0300-20
0299-20

I've got the 0234-6 which I like a little better (cord and side handle design) but don't think it's worth $50 more. It was a lot cheaper on this side of the border.
Awesome. Thanks for digging up this info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Not sure how your luck on Kijiji is, but I regularly see older USA made Milwaukee 1/2" drills for $60 here on craigslist- that is if you don't mind used. I bought my last one off CL.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I blew apart my 16" swivel head ratchet workin on the forklift. took it to exchange it on warranty, and all they had to give me was a 22" one.

Fuckin bonus.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT
Anybody ever bought anything from Tekton? I've been looking for a set of jumbo wrenches for a while, and they're cheaper even than Princess Auto (which I'm gathering is basically Harbour Freight Canada).

I've ordered this metric set and this SAE set. I'm hoping they last more than a couple of uses; my coworker has a set of cheapo jumbo wrenches and they are all spreading out on the open ends.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I've got one of their 32mm impact sockets and an impact socket adapter set and I'm happy with them. I'm not sure if their stuff is good but I don't think it's worse than HF/PA stuff.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

EKDS5k posted:

Anybody ever bought anything from Tekton? I've been looking for a set of jumbo wrenches for a while, and they're cheaper even than Princess Auto (which I'm gathering is basically Harbour Freight Canada).

I've ordered this metric set and this SAE set. I'm hoping they last more than a couple of uses; my coworker has a set of cheapo jumbo wrenches and they are all spreading out on the open ends.

I've bought several of their small items from Amazon. Little steel foldable emergency shovel for the truck, hex keys and sockets, other assorted doo-dads. Quality wise seem OK, at least as good as princess auto specials but probably a bit better.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

For any :canada: people, this jack is on sale for $179 at Canadian tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/michelin-2-ton-low-profile-high-lift-service-jack-0091052p.html#.U1Js7l29LCQ

32" length, 2-3/4" min height, 24" lift, weight: a million loving pounds.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

God I hate Canadian tire, but I have to admit some of their sales are tempting.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

I will never buy a tool there unless it is on sale. A lot of their wrenches and things routinely go on sale for 60%+ off. I got a decent bench vice there just last month for 80% off plus another 10% because the box was a bit banged up.

Also it's a horrible place.

Archives
Nov 23, 2008
There is no reason to buy anything there until its 70% off.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Yeah I'm going to side with Archives. Crappy Tire sells some poo poo quality stuff- don't get anything from them unless it's at a huge markdown. Their Certified house brand is of laughable quality, and as cheap as it might be during their sales, you'd still be overspending on their stuff.

I'd recommend Princess Auto instead. Their Powerfist brand isn't the greatest quality, but their return policy seems to be really flexible.

TrueChaos posted:

For any :canada: people, this jack is on sale for $179 at Canadian tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/michelin-2-ton-low-profile-high-lift-service-jack-0091052p.html#.U1Js7l29LCQ

32" length, 2-3/4" min height, 24" lift, weight: a million loving pounds.
Heh, I recently bought this Omega floor jack from Costco online. It never occurred to me that it weighs 109 pounds. The UPS guy needed my help unloading it from his truck. drat thing is so unwieldy. Definitely returning it.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 20, 2014

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

I have bought a ton of poo poo from Canadian Tire, and I use a lot of it daily. They actually have two house lines, Mastercraft (Joe McHomeowner), and Mastercraft Maximum (advertised as their "professional" line). Mostly everything is lifetime warranty, but for the regular line it doesn't apply if used commercially. Not that the idiots at the return counter even know what most of their poo poo is let alone how to tell how it was (ab)used. I've found the Maximum stuff to be a bit higher quality, but it varies from tool to tool. Here's my 2 cents.

Wrenches: Honestly, they go on sale for $50 for a 30-piece set (metric up to 22mm, and SAE up to 1 1/8"). You can't really go wrong.

Ratchets and Sockets: I work on Bobcats that come from farms, so the ratchets are in and out of mud, dirt, and literal cow poo poo. I have yet to have problems.

Pliers: I threw these out and bought something off the Snap On truck. Needle nose pliers were especially terrible.

Screwdrivers: Really you only need two good screwdrivers: a flat head, and a Philips head, so I bought those from Snap On, and then the 100-piece set (which includes like 50 bits) was $20 at CT, and contains all manner of smaller ones, torx heads, precision, picks. Mine even came with a tiny lovely "demolition" prybar. I would never use it on an actual load but I cut a notch in the end and now it's a serviceable trim clip puller.

Power Tools: The quality of Princess Auto, the price of the professional brands. Total Junk.

Taps/dies: Cheap as hell, and they're the size they say they are. I still haven't broken one.

Air tools: For $100 I bought a set containing a 1/2" impact gun (200 whole foot pounds! I set it aside and bought this instead), an air hammer (pretty sure my cell phone vibrates harder than this thing), an air ratchet (seized the first time I tried to use it, and again the second time after I unseized it), and a die grinder (works great!), plus a whole bunch of (lovely) bits for the die grinder. In retrospect it was definitely not worth it.

Basically as long as you buy stuff that's on sale and doesn't have moving parts, you should be safe. Also as far as I'm concerned, a tool box is a tool box, and if you get them on sale they're dirt cheap.

Re: Princess Auto: I have never owned a Powerfist tool that lasted more than a week of heavy use.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
My Canadian tire torque wrench is locking up (the ratchet jams) but still works, and I broke the 24mm gear wrench the second time i used it. No real abuse, either.

Where's a good place to buy cheaper tools in Canada? Basically it's princess auto or crappy tire for me. Snap-on is too expensive for me, a lot of it doesn't seem worth the cost. How is sears these days?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Frank Dillinger posted:

My Canadian tire torque wrench is locking up (the ratchet jams) but still works, and I broke the 24mm gear wrench the second time i used it. No real abuse, either.

Where's a good place to buy cheaper tools in Canada? Basically it's princess auto or crappy tire for me. Snap-on is too expensive for me, a lot of it doesn't seem worth the cost. How is sears these days?

Sears is hit or miss. I have Craftsman impact sockets and they hold up really well however they have very thick walls. This is when stuff like Snap On makes sense to spend money on if your wrenching professionally. Ive had to borrow coworkers sockets at times because mine would simply not fit where the bolt was. I get a lot of stuff from snap on but I use it and abuse it every day and just make weekly payments of 25 bucks to work with the best tools so its worth it assuming I stay in the trade long enough to pay off my debt. (only about $2500 right now) If you do shop sears, go for the gearwrench stuff they have there, its not terrible and the warranty is pretty good. A more quality and reasonably priced alternative to Snap On could be Cornwell or Mac. Honestly tho check your local craigslist and pawn shops and even ebay. Great way to get quality stuff at discout.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Easter is stupid. I decided I wanted to buy a cabinet add-on for my HF tool chest. Just realized they're closed today.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Rhyno posted:

Easter is stupid. I decided I wanted to buy a cabinet add-on for my HF tool chest. Just realized they're closed today.

Great, now Jesus thinks you're a jerk AND you don't have your cabinet add-on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

meatpimp posted:

Great, now Jesus thinks you're a jerk AND you don't have your cabinet add-on.

I'm pretty sure Jesus has thought that I'm a jerk for a long time.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

Fortunately junkyards are godless and all the picknpulls near me are open sundays. I just gutted a grand cherokee :feelsgood:

Unsure if I will be able to exchange the 9/16 gearwrench I destroyed today however, sears may be closed. Yanked hard on it and it started skipping, turns out I shattered the inside piece, it is cracked through 3 or 4 of the points of the socket part.

kastein fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Apr 20, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Rhyno posted:

That sucks. Mine was open and even had a special today-only 25% off coupon. Bought some cotter pins :toot:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

That sucks. Mine was open and even had a special today-only 25% off coupon. Bought some cotter pins :toot:

God drat it! I hate Indiana!

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
My canadian tire torque wrench doesn't make the standard *click,* but an exceptionally satisfying wet crunch that sounds a lot like what I imagine a curb stomp to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TWSS posted:

My canadian tire torque wrench doesn't make the standard *click,* but an exceptionally satisfying wet crunch that sounds a lot like what I imagine a curb stomp to be.

That is excessively disturbing.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
It only started making the creepy noise after my father lost it during a snowstorm and it spent the winter set to 140 ft-lbs in the frozen stasis of a Canadian driveway glacier.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

Frank Dillinger posted:

I won't touch their torque wrenches. I can't believe that a 1/2" drive torque wrench can be made properly for $50.

I'm surprised about the gear wrench. About half the guys in my shop have them, and we all love them. They'll probably give you a new one without any questions.

All the stuff I've gotten from Sears seems to be on par with the CT stuff (I'm actually pretty convinced that the screwdrivers come out of the same factory; they are identical), for about the same price. There are only a handful of Sears (Sears'? Searses?) here, though, and none of the ones near me have very good selection.

I don't know where you are, but if you're on the west coast, then KMS Tools generally has quality stuff. Proto and Westward are also good brands if you can find them. I don't own any Jet tools but they seem pretty well-made too.

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 21, 2014

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EKDS5k posted:

I won't touch their torque wrenches. I can't believe that a 1/2" drive torque wrench can be made properly for $50.

I'm not saying theirs are, but what would you think about a $20 torque wrench that's dead on and stays dead on?

Yep. Harbor Freight. It's one of the gems they sell.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Motronic posted:

I'm not saying theirs are, but what would you think about a $20 torque wrench that's dead on and stays dead on?

Yep. Harbor Freight. It's one of the gems they sell.

or $10 on sale! :woop:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It also comes in damned handy for the fact that it's a bit shorter than many torque wrenches. Not so useful when you want to get 100+ ft-lb on something, but very useful when you need to get 60 lb-ft on a bolt without lifting your truck sky high.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer
I'm sick of working on the floor and really need to organize my garage a bit, so I'm finally thinking of getting a work bench. I happen to have a $100 gift card to harbor freight, so I'm thinking of getting this table.

It's on sale for $143 this month, so $43 for a proper table seems to make sense financially. I'm planning on getting a 1/2" steel plate to cover one side for welding down the road. Hopefully I won't be shooting myself in the foot with this, but it seems to have decent reviews both on HF's website and Amazon. Is this a good idea or is there something better?

Does it make sense to put a steel plate on top for welding, or should I just get a dedicated welding table like the Nomad posted on the last page?

http://www.harborfreight.com/60-in-...ifQ%3D%3D%0D%0A

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I organized my socket drawers.

Ratchets, extensions, breaker bars, torque wrench and two boxes I have no place for right now.

Metric!

SAE!

This is after I pulled lots of cheap dupes out to make a kit for the 6, the Miata and a set of house tools since my garage is not very close to my building.

Not Pictured: The poo poo load of impact sockets I picked up a few years ago on clearance.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I realized I didn't even have a 1/4 ratchet and all my 3/8ths are total poo poo so I decided to fix that with some 120 tooth flex head GearWrench ratchets. These things are wonderful :allears: No play in the mechanism and the slightest turn engages a tooth.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

BoostCreep posted:

I'm sick of working on the floor and really need to organize my garage a bit, so I'm finally thinking of getting a work bench. I happen to have a $100 gift card to harbor freight, so I'm thinking of getting this table.

I think I'd be happier making one than paying $143 for that. It doesn't look to be that solid. I like a workbench I can beat the poo poo out of stuff on - i'd be worried about smashing that one.

I built 2 benches for my garage. frames are 2x4 timber (which is about £10 per 16 foot length here). Top is second hand kitchen worktop. Shelves made from an old ikea wardrobe, and im going to add the drawers from the same ;) Its only an afternoon's work to build one if you have a wood cut-off saw (or use this as a good excuse to buy one)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lowes will cut the wood for you for cheap if need be.

bung
Dec 14, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Lowes will cut the wood for you for cheap if need be.

I've never had Lowe's or HD charge me to cut lumber.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

bung posted:

Lowe's also does pipe cutting/threading. Be forewarned that their cuts can be off by up to 1/2".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bung posted:

It's free for a small number of cuts. I needed like a dozen 2x4s cut and they charged me 15 cents per cut.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I organized my socket drawers.

Ratchets, extensions, breaker bars, torque wrench and two boxes I have no place for right now.

Metric!

SAE!

This is after I pulled lots of cheap dupes out to make a kit for the 6, the Miata and a set of house tools since my garage is not very close to my building.

Not Pictured: The poo poo load of impact sockets I picked up a few years ago on clearance.

how does that toolbox move when its loaded down with tools? I need a bigger box for work since my hundred dollar black four drawer harbor freight cart isn't cutting it anymore. And I have come down to this or the 16 drawer double box combo for $320.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Tomarse posted:

I think I'd be happier making one than paying $143 for that. It doesn't look to be that solid. I like a workbench I can beat the poo poo out of stuff on - i'd be worried about smashing that one.

I built 2 benches for my garage. frames are 2x4 timber (which is about £10 per 16 foot length here). Top is second hand kitchen worktop. Shelves made from an old ikea wardrobe, and im going to add the drawers from the same ;) Its only an afternoon's work to build one if you have a wood cut-off saw (or use this as a good excuse to buy one)

I own one. It's solid and heavy as gently caress. The vise is poo poo, but it's got drawers and keeps my crap off the floor, so who cares? If the price is right, pull the trigger. I put casters on the bottom of mine, so I can roll it around if I need to.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I vote for the HF44" box. It's a solid box for $359.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I used my drill press* again tonight and was reminded that it was one of my best ever purchases. I use the thing all the time for little projects and it makes putting holes in things so loving easy (and fun) that it's worth every penny. Obviously there are much better drill presses out there but for the money I don't think it can be beat. Well, unless you can score something off Craigslist but at the time I couldn't find anything as good for anywhere close to the price that was of a similar size (not huge).

* aka a Jet JDP-12 with a different paint job and a Menards logo for $150 less.

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

Galler posted:

I realized I didn't even have a 1/4 ratchet and all my 3/8ths are total poo poo so I decided to fix that with some 120 tooth flex head GearWrench ratchets. These things are wonderful :allears: No play in the mechanism and the slightest turn engages a tooth.

You had me at 120 tooth flex head. Just placed my order, so long lovely Craftsman ratchets!