Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Got my moneys worth on the harbor freight knot wheel grinder thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Since we're on paint chat, does anyone have any critical or insightful tips when it comes to paint? I do lots of sailboat bottoms, which, if you've never been around the boating industry, involves lots of very high VOC chemicals, temp/humidity sensitive epoxy-base paints, intensive 80- grit sanding, and above-head power tool usage.

Broad and out of left field but I figure y'all would have some tips, more than anyone.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wear a respirator (N95 at the bare minimum, P100 preferably since it's occupational) and a good pair of safety glasses or a face shield.

And that's coming from someone who hates wearing PPE.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

kastein posted:

Wear a respirator (N95 at the bare minimum, P100 preferably since it's occupational) and a good pair of safety glasses or a face shield.

And that's coming from someone who hates wearing PPE.

All of the above already implemented, thanks, Ken.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Holy jesus please use a proper respirator and goggles, especially marine paint. that poo poo is nasty.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

MRC48B posted:

Holy jesus please use a proper respirator and goggles, especially marine paint. that poo poo is nasty.

Copper is a hell of a drug. :q:

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
poo poo, I'd wear a scuba mask-style full face respirator if I did marine paint for a living. Isocyanates and all the other fun/hellishly carcinogenic chemicals will soak in through your eyes real easy. Past that I'd wear the Tyvek pajamas if it were me doing that job, normal auto paint guys tend to have short lives and get nutty before they go - all the crazy poo poo they put in marine sure isn't doing your body any favors.

I'm sure all the old hands will call you a pussy or something else but take a look at how they've aged vs how everybody who doesn't do that kind of stuff. That ought to make a drastic point about why they're idiots.

Kilersquirrel fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 1, 2014

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Kilersquirrel posted:

poo poo, I'd wear a scuba mask-style full face respirator if I did marine paint for a living. Isocyanates and all the other fun/hellishly carcinogenic chemicals will soak in through your eyes real easy. Past that I'd wear the Tyvek pajamas if it were me doing that job, normal auto paint guys tend to have short lives and get nutty before they go - all the crazy poo poo they put in marine sure isn't doing your body any favors.

So what you're saying is that my shorts/t-shirt/3m mask, and lovely goggles aren't good enough? :viggo: I don't exactly do it for a living, just as a hobby and to help out fellow sailors. I probably do 3000sqm a year.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
I have no idea what divides hobbyist vs pro square footage but if you're doing it on a semi-regular basis it's worth it to invest in decent ppe when it comes to paints and other chemicals. I don't really like wearing a lot of ppe either but chemical injury is insidious and you really don't feel the full effects until it's far too late to do anything about it, unlike physical injury where you get a very sharp, tangible, and immediate reminder of why its a good idea to wear your gloves/goggles/etc.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Overall, pretty much the response I was expecting. When I was a kid ~19, about 4 years ago, I literally didn't give a poo poo and sanded til the cows came home no PPE at all.

Really I was looking at tool/method recommendations but it seems I'm going to die in 30 years so oh well.

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004

SuperDucky posted:

Overall, pretty much the response I was expecting. When I was a kid ~19, about 4 years ago, I literally didn't give a poo poo and sanded til the cows came home no PPE at all.

Really I was looking at tool/method recommendations but it seems I'm going to die in 30 years so oh well.

Well past the "buy paint ppe, seriously" thing Milwaukee is very highly regarded overall, hard to go wrong with them. You can get factory refurbs for cheap on a pretty consistent basis too. Porter cable is a lower-tier standby though some of their stuff is just badge engineered from a cheap supplier. I'd go for something you can hook up a vacuum to for automatic dust collection while sanding and throw down on a nice big powerful shop vac to run it. Wet the waste down before bagging and disposal to further minimize dust exposure.

Also carcinogenics basically affect in a cumulative, long-term manner, so you're not guaranteed to turn into a tumor factory if you start wearing proper gear. Your body is very adept at repairing damage of all kinds but ultimately can't compete with both time and bad choices.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
I got a free Hobart handler 125 for doing a 4.0 ranger alternator. It wouldn't do anything because a bunch of the connections had worked loose. Now when the wire is fed through and everything else is hooked up right the motor just clicks? Im not to sure how else to describe it. Everything turns on and when I touch the trigger on the gun it just clicks and nothing else.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

I have had OK luck with HF stuff. I would not buy a tablesaw there.

I like their metal shaping items. This thing owns fukken bones:

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-planishing-hammer-94847.html

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SouthsideSaint posted:

I got a free Hobart handler 125 for doing a 4.0 ranger alternator. It wouldn't do anything because a bunch of the connections had worked loose. Now when the wire is fed through and everything else is hooked up right the motor just clicks? Im not to sure how else to describe it. Everything turns on and when I touch the trigger on the gun it just clicks and nothing else.

Do you have the right wheel on the feeder? You can download the manual from Hobart for setup and make sure you're doing it all right. Right tension on the spool, right tension on the feeder mechanism, right feeder spool for the wire size. I have a Hobart 140 and it was a cinch to set up, I can't imagine what would click on it.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

StormDrain posted:

Do you have the right wheel on the feeder? You can download the manual from Hobart for setup and make sure you're doing it all right. Right tension on the spool, right tension on the feeder mechanism, right feeder spool for the wire size. I have a Hobart 140 and it was a cinch to set up, I can't imagine what would click on it.

The click comes from where the wire would feed at. I will double check about the wheel size. I know the wire is the correct size do to some weak googling

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Tamir Lenk posted:

I have had OK luck with HF stuff. I would not buy a tablesaw there.

I like their metal shaping items. This thing owns fukken bones:

http://www.harborfreight.com/pneumatic-planishing-hammer-94847.html

Yeah precision woodworking stuff is a no, but metalworking tools where the difference is between "did not hammer it enough" and "hammered it too much" with the low power of chinesium tools causing you to err on the side of "didn't hammer it enough" it's worth the risk, you can always hammer it some more.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Tools! - You Can Always Hammer it Some More

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

SouthsideSaint posted:

The click comes from where the wire would feed at. I will double check about the wheel size. I know the wire is the correct size do to some weak googling

I just remember mine has a double grooved wheel with one side for flux core and the other groove for regular wire. It's tough not knowing your skill level. I'm thinking there's not enough pressure on the feed wheel, or the end of the wire is stuck in the gun. Worst case is the drive is busted.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/om/0900/o947k_hob.pdf

StormDrain fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 3, 2014

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Uthor posted:

Seconded.

There are very few, if any, personal problems that cannot be solved through the proper application of a hammer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

KozmoNaut posted:

Seconded.

There are very few, if any, personal problems that cannot be solved through the proper application of a hammer.

My SO didn't understand why I needed another hammer.

I mean, it wasn't even a spare; it was an entirely different kind.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Hammer and vicegrips are the only tools you really need. If those won't fix it, sit down and think about your problem some more.

My favorite thing to fix with a hammer is probably windshields. :v:

kmcormick9
Feb 2, 2004
Magenta Alert

Splizwarf posted:

Hammer and vicegrips are the only tools you really need. If those won't fix it, sit down and think about your problem some more.

My favorite thing to fix with a hammer is probably windshields. :v:

New thread title.

Tools! - My favorite thing to fix with a hammer is windshields

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
Hammers! - You can always hammer it some more.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Tools! It's always hammer time.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Tools! - Keep hammering assholes!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can't feel but help that the missing comma is intentional.

I cast my vote for

Uthor posted:

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Wasabi the J posted:

I can't feel but help that the missing comma is intentional.

gently caress. I'm leaving it.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I can't help but read this in the voice of Lord Helmet from Spaceballs

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

How could you not?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Lookin for an air compressor, saw one of these on CL for 370:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_268707-1126-VT6389_4294813361+4294965883_3_?productId=3824207

I know I should be looking for an oiled compressor, but I have no idea how big of a tank I would need for general automotive work (no painting or sandblasting).

edit: i have a 220v outlet in my garage, is it worth it to find a 220v compressor?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Sep 5, 2014

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Bajaha posted:

:thejoke:

We need a Dark Helmet smiley. :assholes:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BraveUlysses posted:

Lookin for an air compressor, saw one of these on CL for 370:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_268707-1126-VT6389_4294813361+4294965883_3_?productId=3824207

I know I should be looking for an oiled compressor, but I have no idea how big of a tank I would need for general automotive work (no painting or sandblasting).

edit: i have a 220v outlet in my garage, is it worth it to find a 220v compressor?

Noooo do not buy that. I have a 60 gal oiled 240 that I use for very occasional light use and it's honestly the minimum I would want to bother with. Even running something like an air ratchet causes it to cycle. Also I think I spend 450$ or so for mine and it was brand new.

EDIT: Pretty sure this is the one I have. $489: http://www.google.com/shopping/prod...CFUMLMgodXkEAqA

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
FYI: Advance Auto Parts has a deal on flex heads going until the end of the month. Buy a 24" 1/2" drive and get a 15" 1/2" drive free. Comes out to about 40 bucks after tax here (makes them 17.50ish a piece before tax).

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
Sears has the 16 piece, 20 piece, and 32 piece Gearwrench sets for half off. That's in store too for most of them.

SPORK08
Sep 29, 2003
wagon-core

Dannywilson posted:

Sears has the 16 piece, 20 piece, and 32 piece Gearwrench sets for half off. That's in store too for most of them.

Damnit!

I JUST bought the7 piece metric and 7 piece Standard flex head sets
this week for half price. I think I would have preferred the 32 piece for about the same amount.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

SPORK08 posted:

Damnit!

I JUST bought the7 piece metric and 7 piece Standard flex head sets
this week for half price. I think I would have preferred the 32 piece for about the same amount.

I wanted the 32 because it includes the 12 stubby ones, but the Sears I went to had sold the last set of them a couple hours before I got there. I'm pretty happy with the 20 piece for 50 bux though.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Bought the 32 piece set. I've wanted a set of ratcheting wrenches for a while.

It was $30 cheaper to buy it on my phone while standing in the store and carry the set to the online pickup counter myself than to just pay at a register. I hate that retail trend.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

eddiewalker posted:

Bought the 32 piece set. I've wanted a set of ratcheting wrenches for a while.

It was $30 cheaper to buy it on my phone while standing in the store and carry the set to the online pickup counter myself than to just pay at a register. I hate that retail trend.

Sears is the loving worst with this. I basically price check anything I buy there with the online price. I've found clearance items cheaper online before, which to me is something that should never happen.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm in the UK. What cordless impact wrenches can I buy that are any good and are not going to bankrupt me?

I want one that will get the wheel nuts off my truck too (which usually takes me jumping on a 3 foot bar).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Either Clarke or Sealey do a 24v jobbie rated to 320-odd Nm that'll hurt if you're limp wristed and it catches you unawares. You can normally pick them up for about a ton with 2 batteries. Don't know if it'll do the landy though.

E: there's a 450Nm (332lb ft) version for £130 http://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-24V-...s+impact+wrench

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 9, 2014