Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

Buy an 8lb sledge and chop the handle. It's the best BFH that no one makes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WashinMyGoat
Jan 15, 2002

How short? Everyone makes an 8lb 16" sledge.

http://www.jacksonprofessional.com/products/detail.aspx?ProductId=585&SubFamilyId=70&FamilyId=69&LineId=68

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

I like a ~10-12" handle like a drilling hammer. though I've never seen even a 16" one like that in a store before either. That's close enough, I guess.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

ThinkFear posted:

Seriously, they are great. Someone finally invented an adjustable that doesn't suck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_RLWKMXrqk
But these have been around for decades...
Yeah I know they're a different thing but I use mine every day in situations where most of my colleagues use adjustables, and they're the best.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

Tommychu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_RLWKMXrqk
But these have been around for decades...
Yeah I know they're a different thing but I use mine every day in situations where most of my colleagues use adjustables, and they're the best.

Every time someone says "adjustable wrench" in this thread I want to link them to these. My Snap On rep sold me a set a year and a half ago and I honestly feel they're one of the best tools I've ever bought. Not only do they grip whatever you're turning, but since they work like pliers they're easy to rotate around to set up your next turn, without having to take them right off the fastener. Basically a ratcheting, gripping, adjustable wrench.

Rhyno posted:

What's the best and most affordable scissor lift on the market currently?

Skyjack or JLG (which I think are the same company anyway). Genie is probably fine but I've noticed they don't seem to last as long. Stay away from Snorkel. All three have all their manuals etc available for free online. Any other brand is asking for trouble later on when they break down (and they will) and you need to find parts/a mechanic familiar with your machine.

Re: torque wrench storage:

Every manual I've ever seen, every sales rep, every article I can find online, everyone who works in a setting demanding high accuracy, says to store spring type torque wrenches at their lowest setting (or thereabouts) or risk them going out of calibration sooner. The only place I've seen that recommends storing them loaded is this thread, and I don't think any evidence to back up that recommendation has been produced.

EKDS5k fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Oct 24, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Wow, I couldn't find one anywhere. So I sawed the handle off a fullsize.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
HF 8# sledge + 20% coupon + saw = my brand new 8# 16" hammer. Picked up a neon 3# dead-blow too. HAMMERS :black101:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

kastein posted:

Wow, I couldn't find one anywhere. So I sawed the handle off a fullsize.

I'm going to build one of these very, very, soon.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

EKDS5k posted:

Skyjack or JLG (which I think are the same company anyway). Genie is probably fine but I've noticed they don't seem to last as long.

Genie lift controls are generally better laid-out and more comfortable to use, which you appreciate after spending 16 hours a day in a Skyjack. Genies also seem to be a lot more smooth to drive (Skyjacks always seem very jerky), but that may just be because all the Skyjack kit is old because it lives forever. I've never use a JLG scissor but I hate the big speed knob and otherwise horrible controls on their boom lifts.

Reliability seems the same for me between the two - they both blow out hoses at a critical point. Though I did use a brand new Genie Z60 a few weeks back that came from the factory with a malfunctioning tilt sensor (we named it Sir Beepalot), so you probably have a point.

Pomp and Circumcized fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 24, 2014

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
I managed to jawa-barter some dude into giving me what looks to be the contents of an entire toolbox haphazardly dumped into a plastic tub for $65. Seriously this tub had to weigh 40lbs at a minimum. After throwing out anything too crappy to save, this is what I was left with:

HOORAY FOR SPARE EVERYTHINGS

E: except for goddamn impact sockets which is the one thing I kinda need right now

spookykid fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 26, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Brought an old bench grinder back to life. And put a brass wire wheel on it. It takes 3 seconds to spin up and like 5 minutes to spin down after you shut it off.

Before

During

after

So loving satisfying. Taking something old and ugly and crusty and making it brand new. And I have 5 pails of fittings to go.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

EKDS5k posted:

Re: torque wrench storage:

Every manual I've ever seen, every sales rep, every article I can find online, everyone who works in a setting demanding high accuracy, says to store spring type torque wrenches at their lowest setting (or thereabouts) or risk them going out of calibration sooner. The only place I've seen that recommends storing them loaded is this thread, and I don't think any evidence to back up that recommendation has been produced.

http://www.norbar.com/en-gb/News-Events/Blog/entryid/396/torque-wrench-calibration

Very common on production lines to have wrenches for a particular task that are locked and calibrated to a certain value. It works fine and you don't need a calibration interval measured in days to keep things accurate.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

stinch posted:

http://www.norbar.com/en-gb/News-Events/Blog/entryid/396/torque-wrench-calibration

Very common on production lines to have wrenches for a particular task that are locked and calibrated to a certain value. It works fine and you don't need a calibration interval measured in days to keep things accurate.

I'm willing to bet that torque wrenches used in manufacturing are designed/built a bit differently than ones designed for home/mechanic use, but I'm still glad you posted that as it at least provides more authority than "guy on the internet said so".

I think we can at least all agree not to adjust the wrench past the bottom off the scale though, either for storage or carelessness.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

What do you guys recommend for long needle nose pliers? I'd like at least one with a with 90* bend so I can remove vacuum clips and whatnot, too.

Also, I need a good set of flare nut wrenches because these Husky ones love eating brass flare nuts.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Armchair Calvinist posted:

because flare nut wrenches love eating brass flare nuts.

The only possible solution is heat. And that doesn't always work.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

What do you guys recommend for long needle nose pliers? I'd like at least one with a with 90* bend so I can remove vacuum clips and whatnot, too.

Also, I need a good set of flare nut wrenches because these Husky ones love eating brass flare nuts.

HF makes a solid long plier for dirt cheap.

As far as eating/rounding/spreading brass goes, sometimes it just happens when they get old/dirty/corroded/you look at them funny, and there's no way around stripping it/cutting it off and reflaring. Mac makes a really nice set that's done the job for me 90% of the time, but if you want to be a baller, armstrong has been king of the hill around aviation pros.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Haha, no worries. I ended up replacing them all with steel flare nuts for the job. Oh well.

Also, looking to upgrade some of my tools with some buy-it-for-life type of stuff.

1. Screwdriver set to replace my janky collection
2. Combination wrenches (metric)
3. I think that crazy loving Knipex Pliers Wrench looks rad. Worth it over pipe wrench and crescents? Haha.
4. Any tools you guys would recommend that makes life infinitely easier by having a higher quality version of such.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Haha, no worries. I ended up replacing them all with steel flare nuts for the job. Oh well.

Also, looking to upgrade some of my tools with some buy-it-for-life type of stuff.

1. Screwdriver set to replace my janky collection
2. Combination wrenches (metric)
3. I think that crazy loving Knipex Pliers Wrench looks rad. Worth it over pipe wrench and crescents? Haha.
4. Any tools you guys would recommend that makes life infinitely easier by having a higher quality version of such.

Find a K-Mart going under, I saw tons of Craftsman poo poo the other day for 35% off.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

drat, I'll keep that in mind. I wonder where there's one around here...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001NQQCM/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000ZEAP9C/ref=biss_dp_t_asn

Looking at these screwdrivers, but I can't figure out the difference in sizes between the two. :confused:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I used to try to buy quality screwdrivers but I'm so hard on them I just find that a place with no questions asked replacement is easier.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

BrokenKnucklez posted:

I used to try to buy quality screwdrivers but I'm so hard on them I just find that a place with no questions asked replacement is easier.

Stop using them as gasket scrapers and oil filter removers.

I have an entire drawer of screwdrivers specialty prybars made for premium European cars.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have a super long one that was involved in a P38 door lock removal. :v:

Its been returned 4 times... No questions asked.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Haha, exactly. Right now, I have a bunch of specialty pry bars and gasket scrapers. I need real screwdrivers that won't strip screws (and I'll continue using my current screwdrivers for formerly stated duties)

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
E: in late for screwdriver chat:

It's primarily the size. If you can try a #2 in the fastener and it fits and turns correctly, it's a #2 (IT'S ALWAYS A #2), If you fit, and you seem to be stripping it, it's the size above, just try it for kicks. If you cant fit, it's a #1 or smaller (smallest I've encountered automotive is #1). If a #2 wobbles a bit (~10ー or more) in the fastener, move up and try a #3.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

Looking at these screwdrivers, but I can't figure out the difference in sizes between the two. :confused:

I've got a few SK screwdrivers. They've got a hex in front of the handle so you can turn it with a wrench. Works great with a ratcheting box wrench on long screws.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

Has anyone here tried the nut style vice grips like these :http://www.amazon.com/Tools-VISE-GRIP-Original-Locking-Wrench/dp/B00004SBBE ?
Supposedly they work rad on stuck flare nuts, of which my old Corvair has a quite few.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

oxbrain posted:

I've got a few SK screwdrivers. They've got a hex in front of the handle so you can turn it with a wrench. Works great with a ratcheting box wrench on long screws.

drat, excellent. I put them on my wishlist; I think these are the ones I'm gonna get after bugdrvr recommended a set a while back. :)

Oh yeah: How do you guys organize sockets? I've been using something similar to this:

For about seven years now, but mine has slots for deep 10, 12, 13, and a small extension. It's basically the bee's knees and I rasped out the side of it to fit my GearWrench 120XP. It's showing its age, though, and the plastic lock on the side comes loose.

What do you guys recommend for a similar setup? I absolutely loathe the press-fit style socket holders.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

This page lists both sets and makes it easy to compare. The $31 set looks to be slightly longer and one of the tips is a (very slightly) different size, from the look of things.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NLPJN2/ref=biss_dp_sa1

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

drat, excellent. I put them on my wishlist; I think these are the ones I'm gonna get after bugdrvr recommended a set a while back. :)

Oh yeah: How do you guys organize sockets? I've been using something similar to this:

For about seven years now, but mine has slots for deep 10, 12, 13, and a small extension. It's basically the bee's knees and I rasped out the side of it to fit my GearWrench 120XP. It's showing its age, though, and the plastic lock on the side comes loose.

What do you guys recommend for a similar setup? I absolutely loathe the press-fit style socket holders.

I try to keep my socket sets in their original blow-mold cases if possible. For everything else I just have them on socket rails in a drawer.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

The flat ones are definitely worth it over crescent wrenches. They make a toothed style as well to replace both pipe wrenches and channelock pliers. In bigass sizes as well. I've used them and they work really well, but won't save much more time/effort over a normal pipe wrench.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Anybody know off-hand of a torque wrench that will also click on left-hand threads? I discovered yesterday that mine does now. Why does it reverse if it won't measure torque that way?! :argh:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Harbor Freight 1/2" torque wrench will.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Safety Dance posted:

Draper's one will too, in the UK.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Safety Dance posted:

Good to know. I actually own their 3/8" and totally forgot about it yesterday.

Edit: We have a winner. Ring bolts are torqued. Hells yeah.

Boaz MacPhereson fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Oct 28, 2014

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Whether or not it clicks in reverse, it can be reversed so you don't gently caress yourself by getting it trapped. I constantly worry about that with my flip-over-to-reverse Gearwrenches; water pump mounted mechanical fan clutch bolts are a good example of this kind of trap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Splizwarf posted:

Whether or not it clicks in reverse, it can be reversed so you don't gently caress yourself by getting it trapped. I constantly worry about that with my flip-over-to-reverse Gearwrenches; water pump mounted mechanical fan clutch bolts are a good example of this kind of trap.

Also the 6 mounting studs on the front end of any modern New Venture Gear transfer case.

Goddamnit I hate when there's poo poo in the threads, the nut jams on the stud, then backs the stud out and traps the gearwrench.

This might be why I own two fullsize 9/16" and one stubby 9/16" gearwrench now :downs:

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I usually end up hitting the wrench with a hammer when it gets stuck, I'm sure that's good for it and the bolt.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク
Whats some good Diag software out there I could put on a pc laptop.
Considering a scan tool but feel like laptop rout is cheaper in the end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Preoptopus posted:

Whats some good Diag software out there I could put on a pc laptop.
Considering a scan tool but feel like laptop rout is cheaper in the end.

Do you have a smart phone? $5 blue tooth adapter and Torque should be more than adequate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

テ青「テ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク,
テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セ テ堕づ堕テ青ク テ青ソテ青セテ青サテ青セテ堕テ青コテ青ク

Rhyno posted:

Do you have a smart phone? $5 blue tooth adapter and Torque should be more than adequate.

No Im talking about something that could compete with a SnapOn Verus or maybe even have the possibility to reflash ECU's and reflash keys and poo poo.
Since Verus runs on Windows anyway I was wondering if anyone made something comparable that just runs on a PC.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Oct 30, 2014