Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Preoptopus posted:

No Im talking about something that could compete with a SnapOn Verus or maybe even have the possibility to reflash ECU's and reflash keys and poo poo.
Since Verus runs on Windows anyway I was wondering if anyone made something comparable that just runs on a PC.

Then say that in your opening post. You don't want a scantool, you want a diagnostics and programming suite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Dannywilson posted:

Then say that in your opening post. You don't want a scantool, you want a diagnostics and programming suite.

Ok whats a good diagnostics and programming suite for a pc? Or at least where can I find a reliable directory of information about them.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

So the Wera Kraftform Plus psychedelic mushroom screwdrivers and the Knipex arrived today! :neckbeard:

Impressions so far: Extremely high quality, both incredibly useful. Ended up using the Knipex today to adjust my girlfriend's Ninja's clutch with great success and a few other times for various things here and there. It's the perfect tool for the "not finger tight, not worth the effort of finding the right size wrench" type jobs. :)

Also got one of these:

Which I've been meaning to get for a while.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Those channel locks kick rear end. I use them all the time for alignments.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Preoptopus posted:

Ok whats a good diagnostics and programming suite for a pc? Or at least where can I find a reliable directory of information about them.

Autoenginuity.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Man, I don't even want to imagine how many drunken dicks would be crammed into that magnetizer/demagnetizer if I owned it.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Rhyno posted:

Man, I don't even want to imagine how many drunken dicks would be crammed into that magnetizer/demagnetizer if I owned it.

Well, the openings are about the size of your pinky, soooo... I guess there's a reason you haven't been emulating CSB on snapchat?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Those screwdrivers are nice. You also want a set of the yellow and black ones, they're solid steel all the way through and designed specifically to be hit with a hammer the way we all already do anyway. :whatup:

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Definitely gonna check those out then. :madmax:

I also would like a good set of chisels to do the same, since my friend just had to come help me get off a stripped thermostat housing nut that fused to the engine hoist eyelet because the PO didn't understand the tstat gasket goes around the lip of the tstat and not on one side, resulting in half of the housing being silicone gasket sealer with several parts horrid, leaky corrosion.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
As far as I can tell, while some of their products have really stupid names, pretty much everything Wera makes is a Good Tool.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Splizwarf posted:

Those screwdrivers are nice. You also want a set of the yellow and black ones, they're solid steel all the way through and designed specifically to be hit with a hammer the way we all already do anyway. :whatup:

The Stanley Demo Drivers (now Dewalt-branded, but same design) are similar. I bought a set after seeing a Toolmonger post where they hammered the loving things all the way through a 2x4, handle and all.

I'm a retail merchandiser -- I rearrange grocery stores -- and have to work with old busted gondola shelves. My coworkers all carry rubber mallets and a prybar of some sort; I have a 3-pound drilling hammer and a pair of Stanley screwdrivers. Guess who always gets asked for help when a 4-foot shelf has to go into a 47.5" space. When I need a light touch of a hammer, I use the handle of the screwdriver. :v: And I'm the only person that hasn't had any tools permanently borrowed, because everybody knows that if they steal my poo poo I'll use the hammer on 'em, and if they steal my hammer I'll shank 'em with the screwdriver.

Also these things are great. I'm considering buying a second one to use around the house:

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Delivery McGee posted:

Also these things are great. I'm considering buying a second one to use around the house:

I wish Harbor Freight made one of those. It's the kind of impulse purchase I would grab for $20 when I'm in a store. But if I need to order it for $30ish.. ehhh effort.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

mod sassinator posted:

I wish Harbor Freight made one of those. It's the kind of impulse purchase I would grab for $20 when I'm in a store. But if I need to order it for $30ish.. ehhh effort.

Buy one , right now, and then you don't need to worry about it anymore.

Or build one out of plywood.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Splizwarf posted:

Buy one , right now, and then you don't need to worry about it anymore.

Or build one out of plywood.

They have them for $25 at the better farm stores (I got mine at a regional chain that's sort of like Tractor Supply). Also if you're in the business and know the right people, Kraft apparently supplies them to their reps. (I represent Kraft but through a broker, pretty sure you only get one with the Kraft logo on it if you're one of their DSD people.)

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Where can I find a good lugnut wrench, other than the 4 way ones, to keep in my car? Or is it easier just to have a breaker bar and socket?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I just keep a breaker bar. It's convenient to use, doesn't take up too much space, and I can use it for regular breaker bar duties if they come up.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Deeters posted:

Where can I find a good lugnut wrench, other than the 4 way ones, to keep in my car? Or is it easier just to have a breaker bar and socket?

I've got the folding one from HF. It sucks, but they all do, and at least this doesn't take up a ton of space. A breaker bar is the other logical option.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I was hoping to find one of these, which is basically what was in there before. The breaker bar is starting to seem more versatile though.

Strawberry
Jul 20, 2005

here is no why
Just picked up the new teardrop composite 3/8 ratchet from HF

http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-professional-composite-tear-drop-ratchet-62318.html

Incredibly smooth action, this thing has already replaced my Craftsman as my go-to. Waiting for a 1/2 version to come out, I had a chance to handle the flex-head version and it was nice as well.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Deeters posted:

I was hoping to find one of these, which is basically what was in there before. The breaker bar is starting to seem more versatile though.

I have two of those that I got from the junkyard. Just carry it out with your tools, you came in with that, right?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Strawberry posted:

http://www.harborfreight.com/38-in-drive-professional-composite-tear-drop-ratchet-62318.html

Incredibly smooth action, this thing has already replaced my Craftsman as my go-to. Waiting for a 1/2 version to come out, I had a chance to handle the flex-head version and it was nice as well.

I was looking at those for a long time, but ended up picking up their double ended flex head instead.

HF's "Pittsburg Pro" line is actually some decent poo poo. If you can't get your work to pay for top end tools for you, you really can't go wrong with hf.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Raluek posted:

I have two of those that I got from the junkyard. Just carry it out with your tools, you came in with that, right?

I guess I should have mentioned that mine looks like this:

Every time I search for one on amazon or wherever I only see the 4-way ones, so I don't know if I'm not searching for the right thing.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Deeters posted:

Every time I search for one on amazon or wherever I only see the 4-way ones, so I don't know if I'm not searching for the right thing.

Hmm. Maybe you live in a place where there is rust? That might be your problem. What size is the socket? I probably don't need both of mine.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

Deeters posted:

That's more of an OEM part. Junkyard will have them.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deeters posted:

You just have to look for the specific manufacturer when you look

I like these though, but they don't have the pry bar on it.

Are these worth a drat?

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
BITCH!

I got a surface pro 3 tablet at work for doing some in-car tuning, diagnostics, etc.

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a sturdy suction cup based windshield mount that will fit this tablet.

Also the tablet will likely be in this ruggedized case when in the mount (product dimensions listed as 14.2 x 9.3 x 0.8")

I've seen a few things for sale online that sort of fit the bill, like this one, but they mostly look fairly cheap and flimsy.

e: After some searching I found this one which looks pretty solid:
RAM Double Suction Cup Mount with X-Grip Holder for 12" Tablets
http://www.rammount.com/Products/XGripMounts/XGrip12TabletMounts/tabid/5164/Default.aspx

peepsalot fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 4, 2014

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
I'm a big fan of the 4 way wrenches. They don't take up much more room than a single, and I stop fairly often to change tires for people stuck on the side of the road so it's handy to have a couple different sizes on one tool.

My Lil Parachute
Jul 30, 2014

by XyloJW
Is there any reason I shouldn't buy this Air Compressor for general home renovation / shed use?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Seems like a lot of money. I bought a craftsman one of lower CFM, same tank size that has worked for my home stuff for $150 on craigslist 10 years ago.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

A friend has to move abroad and off-loaded this to me:

$175? Why yes, please.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

My Lil Parachute posted:

Is there any reason I shouldn't buy this Air Compressor for general home renovation / shed use?

That price is horrid. My 60 gal that pushes something like 11CFM was around 400 bucks.

EDIT: After looking closer that motor is pretty stout and it pushes plenty of air, but I think they're charging a premium for portability. That looks like more of a tradesmen compressor, like for roofers and such. You'd be better off getting a permanent unit and buying additional hose. I can reach any place on my property with 100 feet of air hose. I'm planning on installing hardwood floors upstairs in my house at some point and I'll be simply running air from the garage.

revmoo fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 5, 2014

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

Strawberry posted:

Out of curiosity what's the draw to this tool? I don't know why I would want a plastic ratchet over a metal one.

I picked up a set of these. I totally thought they would be a gimmick. They rock and ended up being one of my most used tools when doing my subframe.
http://www.gearwrench.com/wrenches/ratcheting/quadboxtm/gearwrench-85210d-13-pc-quadboxtm-double-box-ratcheting-wrench-set-metric.html

Sadi fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 5, 2014

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

So you can sneak it on an airplane.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
"Attention passengers, does anyone have a wrench on board?" Then you fix the airplane in mid flight and are a hero!

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

But where will you find plastic sockets?

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

MRC48B posted:

You gotta talk to the guy with the 3d printer in his carry-on luggage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

MRC48B posted:

just buy harbor freight ones, they are about the same strength and can be picked up with a magnet if dropped :newlol:

(yes, I'm joking. I hear their sockets are actually pretty decent.)

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

People in IRC are liking the pics of the big tools we use at work, so I'll post a few here.

These sockets are 1" and 1-1/2" drive, sizes 1" up to ~5". Bigger ones are seldom used and are kept somewhere else, so no pics of them.
We have combination wrenches up to 3" here, bigger ones are available elsewhere if needed.

Bigass drill bit for the bigass drill press

Bigass impact socket.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

iForge posted:

Bigass drill bit for the bigass drill press

Dear lord, what speed do you run that at? 2 rpm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
What are you guys building with those? A 1/1 scale model of the USS Gerald R. Ford?