Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

Why would use use a pipe cutter for that? You still have to re-crown and deal with perfect squareness on the rifling.

Or are you talking about shotgun barrels, which are almost always much, much thinner.

The 19" (greater than 18") is a dead giveaway that it's a shotgun thing. Probably with an unmodded stock, 19" was all he could cut it down to: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-firearms-are-regulated-under-nfa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Shotgun. Used a pipe cutter to get a good groove then finished with a hacksaw, file, and sandpaper. You don't want to go all the way with the pipe cutter because it cut via pinching and that can mess up your choke and crown and so on.

18" is the legal limit, most go to 18.5" just to be on the safe side of things. I stopped at 19 just to have some room to spare.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anyone got a solid recommendation on an automatic wire stripper that's a step or two above the HF one? I've had a HF one for a long time now and it's racked up enough use that it's a bit sloppy - more often than not, it will either not grab the insulation enough and just slide along it, or grab too hard and take some wire strands with it. I could just get another one, I suppose, but I'd rather replace it once and be done.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006
The Klein one w/ interchangeable jaws.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Speaking of wiring, I need to get a ratcheting crimper on a ~$50 budget. The HF one is garbage because it doesn't close tightly enough; I returned the one I had but the replacement is just as bad. I need to do a lot of insulated butts and uninsulated bullets. What's worth getting?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

IOwnCalculus posted:

Anyone got a solid recommendation on an automatic wire stripper that's a step or two above the HF one? I've had a HF one for a long time now and it's racked up enough use that it's a bit sloppy - more often than not, it will either not grab the insulation enough and just slide along it, or grab too hard and take some wire strands with it. I could just get another one, I suppose, but I'd rather replace it once and be done.

I'll go ahead and tell you that the Irwin self adjusting wire stripper is equal garbage to the HF one. I've given up and just use these anymore, and don't regret a thing.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Splizwarf posted:

Speaking of wiring, I need to get a ratcheting crimper on a ~$50 budget. The HF one is garbage because it doesn't close tightly enough; I returned the one I had but the replacement is just as bad. I need to do a lot of insulated butts and uninsulated bullets. What's worth getting?

The Ancor one on Amazon works pretty well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NI3EMK/

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Splizwarf posted:

I went with this Tool Aid one, been happy with it so far and it has a second set of red/blue/yellow dies that are a bit tighter for heat shrinkable connectors. [url]S & G Tool Aid 18920 Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit- 5 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002STTTI/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_eFsfwb50Q8AE2[/url]

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Which wire stripper do you use, the fully auto ones or one like this http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-11063W-Katapult-Stripper/dp/B00BC39YFQ where you have to put the wire in the right size die?
I used the latter type, never had much luck with the fully auto ones.
Though an electrician I worked with used just the grey plastic coax cutters (had a few of them preset for each size wire) and that's what he was happiest with for some reason. Maybe because it didn't matter how thick or strong the insulator was with them as he was used to 4mm+ cable.

ThinkFear
Sep 15, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I went with this Tool Aid one, been happy with it so far and it has a second set of red/blue/yellow dies that are a bit tighter for heat shrinkable connectors. [url]S & G Tool Aid 18920 Ratcheting Terminal Crimping Kit- 5 Piece https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002STTTI/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_eFsfwb50Q8AE2[/url]

I have two of these as well. They work well, I'd recommend them. Although similar looking, the HF ones don't crimp tight enough.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

wallaka posted:

The Ancor one on Amazon works pretty well. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000NI3EMK/

Seconding the ancor. I've redone my boat, RV and several smaller projects with it no problem.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fo3 posted:

Which wire stripper do you use, the fully auto ones or one like this http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-11063W-Katapult-Stripper/dp/B00BC39YFQ where you have to put the wire in the right size die?
I used the latter type, never had much luck with the fully auto ones.
Though an electrician I worked with used just the grey plastic coax cutters (had a few of them preset for each size wire) and that's what he was happiest with for some reason. Maybe because it didn't matter how thick or strong the insulator was with them as he was used to 4mm+ cable.

Yeah looking at the five-star reviews on that Klein I might give that a shot. Amusingly, Home Depot has it cheaper than anyone else, in stock locally to boot.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Does anyone have this Astro Pneumatic crimper? A little over my budget but it's got a bunch of different jaw sets and a decent case. I have some other Astro stuff that's been solid.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Tools! - We know some poo poo about strippers

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I bought a $20 set of wire crimpers from amazon... they work pretty decent and every single one of my crimps has been awesome. Honestly, 50 bucks for a set of crimpers and automatic strippers will do 95% of all your automotive work.

But thats my take on wire tools.

Really, spend a modest amount on the tools and spend a little extra on the connectors. poo poo connectors will always be poo poo connectors, no matter how good your tools are.

Edit: Tools - Nothing but strippin and crimpin ITT

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Crimpin' ain't easy . . .

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
We doing: big crimpin, we strippin sleeves
Big crimpin with A.N.C.O.R.'s
We doing big crimpin up in DIY
It's just that Jigga Man, Pimp C, and B-U-N B

meh

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Tamir Lenk posted:

Tools! - We know some poo poo about strippers

Tools! - Please don't tell my wife how expensive the strippers were!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Tamir Lenk posted:

Crimpin' ain't easy . . .

But it is necessary.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
You say no to ratchet crimps, but AI can't?

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I'm looking for a really nice ratcheting screwdriver with a strong magnetic 1/4" hex head. I have a decent set of tips that I got years ago from harbor freight but I don't have a nice ratcheting driver to go with them. Any recommendations? Preferably not something crazy expensive, $25-50 or so. One with lots of teeth would be best.

I was looking at this Wera but it's on the expensive side and has a built-in bit holder: http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftfor...nts=p_89%3AWera

I really hate drivers with built-in bit holders, especially the ones with a screw cap on the bottom to hold the bits. gently caress that poo poo. I just want a really nice, no-frills, ratcheting driver with a 1/4" magnetic hex head. Bonus points for a matching stubby version.

Thanks!

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Coolnezzz posted:

I'm looking for a really nice ratcheting screwdriver with a strong magnetic 1/4" hex head. I have a decent set of tips that I got years ago from harbor freight but I don't have a nice ratcheting driver to go with them. Any recommendations? Preferably not something crazy expensive, $25-50 or so. One with lots of teeth would be best.

I was looking at this Wera but it's on the expensive side and has a built-in bit holder: http://www.amazon.com/Wera-Kraftfor...nts=p_89%3AWera

I really hate drivers with built-in bit holders, especially the ones with a screw cap on the bottom to hold the bits. gently caress that poo poo. I just want a really nice, no-frills, ratcheting driver with a 1/4" magnetic hex head. Bonus points for a matching stubby version.

Thanks!
http://www.amazon.com/Williams-WRST...ing+screwdriver

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

That will do perfectly, thank you! I was also looking at Snap-On but this looks like it has similar quality for much less money.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Coolnezzz posted:

That will do perfectly, thank you! I was also looking at Snap-On but this looks like it has similar quality for much less money.

Williams manufactures some of Snap-On's tools, actually. Might even be the same one, depending.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Raluek posted:

Williams manufactures some of Snap-On's tools, actually. Might even be the same one, depending.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136120

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

Yeah looking at the five-star reviews on that Klein I might give that a shot. Amusingly, Home Depot has it cheaper than anyone else, in stock locally to boot.

Got it and tested it on some random wire tonight. Yeah, this Klein stripper is the poo poo.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

IOwnCalculus posted:

Got it and tested it on some random wire tonight. Yeah, this Klein stripper is the poo poo.

There is a reason that all the electricians I know use Klein pliers and screwdrivers almost exclusively.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
This might be outside the scope of this thread, but would anyone have any idea why my pneumatic nailers keep jamming on me?

My dad bought me a refurb set of Husky air nailers awhile back and I've never been able to get them to fire off more than one in a row before jamming, if they even feed a nail at all. I always put a few drops of air tool oil in before use, and I know my six gallon compressor can run a Hitachi framing nailer, so I'm not sure if it's the tool, the variety of nails I've used (everything from HF to Sears brand of most lengths), or something I'm loving up. Nothing seems to work in any of the guns. The firing pin nearly always works and leaves an indent in the wood, but doesn't feed any nails.

Is it something I'm doing wrong, or should I try contacting Big Sky Tools to see if I can RMA these things?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
This weekend is the weekend of Torque Wrench. The engine needs to get worked on and I can't do that without a way of not loving up the reassembly. Few questions for those in the knows:
  • Are those fancy battery-powered impact drivers able to torque to a certain point and then stop?
  • Click-style is the Best Style for non-impact driver, yes?
  • Should I save my clams for an air compressor and get impact drivers for that instead?
After seeing all the MCM vids, the battery-powered impact drivers look really tempting.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

scuz posted:

This weekend is the weekend of Torque Wrench. The engine needs to get worked on and I can't do that without a way of not loving up the reassembly. Few questions for those in the knows:
  • Are those fancy battery-powered impact drivers able to torque to a certain point and then stop?
  • Should I save my clams for an air compressor and get impact drivers for that instead?
After seeing all the MCM vids, the battery-powered impact drivers look really tempting.

- No
- Click style torque wrenches are good. I *think* there are some procedures that require a beam style torque wrench, but I don't know what those are
- A middlin' compressor and a middlin' air impact will run you about $250-300. A halfway decent battery powered impact will start around $300.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

- Click style torque wrenches are good. I *think* there are some procedures that require a beam style torque wrench, but I don't know what those are

Things like bearing preloads on rear ends - you need to find the torque required to rotate a shaft and clickers don't really do that.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

scuz posted:

100% yes, I just upgraded from pneumatic to electric, and it is everything I hoped for. I didn't realize how often I could have used an impact but didn't because I hate messing around with hoses and waiting on the compressor to fill the tank. Plus the electric is so much more maneuverable, so you can squeeze it in awkward spaces, like in the wheel well.

This Makita brushless impact wrench is freaking awesome, and you can set it to three speeds, which consistently torque to 59 foot pounds, something else, and 210 foot pounds I believe. So you have some control, that you don't at least over torque something. It lets you get it on the right ballpark, and from there you can finish with a torque wrench.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 9, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Could you also use torque sticks to get closer or is it not worth the effort?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

Things like bearing preloads on rear ends - you need to find the torque required to rotate a shaft and clickers don't really do that.

Ding ding ding. Anything requiring preload measurements needs a beam wrench. You need an "active" readout of torque, as it were. As an FYI, Home Depot sells a 1/4" drive inch pound beam wrench and their return policy is very generous :v:.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Ding ding ding. Anything requiring preload measurements needs a beam wrench. You need an "active" readout of torque, as it were. As an FYI, Home Depot sells a 1/4" drive inch pound beam wrench and their return policy is very generous :v:.

Unless you just bought a house whose address is permanently blackballed in their system because the previous owners did a chargeback on something they bought at home depot.

I just spent three weeks talking to roughly a dozen different clueless customer service representatives trying to figure out why their website kept giving me an error preventing me from buying poo poo online before someone finally told me that my new address was permanently flagged for fraud concerning a lovely cuisinart electric grill back in 2007

:suicide:

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

QuarkMartial posted:

Could you also use torque sticks to get closer or is it not worth the effort?

I don't believe in torque sticks with out checking with a real torque wrench. Especially with electric torque wrenches. They sound like they are running at full tilt when the battery is slightly low but they are super down on toque.

Basically, if I still have to come back and check with a wrench then the stick didn't get me anything to start with.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Yeah, it's really not worth using torque sticks. You have to either trust them implicitly (probably unwise), or follow with a torque wrench or just manually checking them with a ratchet. They're just a lovely middleman.

I bought a second cheap HF torque wrench and I leave an extension and one of those double ended lug nut sockets on it. I zip the lug nuts in with my electric impact and then torque to spec. It's just as convenient as having torque sticks, but I can trust it.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

OSU_Matthew posted:

Unless you just bought a house whose address is permanently blackballed in their system because the previous owners did a chargeback on something they bought at home depot.

I just spent three weeks talking to roughly a dozen different clueless customer service representatives trying to figure out why their website kept giving me an error preventing me from buying poo poo online before someone finally told me that my new address was permanently flagged for fraud concerning a lovely cuisinart electric grill back in 2007

:suicide:

Holy poo poo :psyduck:. Did they sort it out at all or do you just have to deal?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

scuz posted:

Few questions for those in the knows:

I asked this question a month or so ago, consensus was cordless impacts have come along far enough that if you can't break a bolt with a professional grade cordless 1/2" drive you're going to have to step up to a 3/4+ drive pneumatic with a serious air compressor to run it.

If all you're going to buy the compressor for is to run a pneumatic impact wrench might as well spend the money on a high quality cordless since you're probably going to spend at least as much on a decent compressor alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

scuz posted:

I work at a tire shop. I use an Ingersoll-rand 20v Lithium impact (W7150) for all my tire-changin' needs. The beautiful thing is that it's portable as hell. I bring it home with me and it does just as good a job on my own cars. I charge the battery once or twice a week. I have two batteries - but it only takes like 30 minutes to charge it up.

Our company procedures require us to thread the nuts on the studs by hand the first few turns (so as not to cross-thread), impact away if you wish (with a torque stick), and then torque with a company owned calibrated torque wrench. Not only that - you have to write the torque number down on the work order and initial it too. You know what's odd? Every mechanic at our place does actually do this. So do I.