Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007
I need recomendations on a jack to keep in the car. I'm not a fan of those scissors jacks and I used to have a bottle jack but it leaked inside of my toolbox. Right now I have a craftsman 2 1/4 ton floor jack in the trunk but there has to be something lighter and more compact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007

BabyJesus posted:

Craftsman and other companies make the "mini" floor jacks that dont have the full handle. Some of them aren't rated to hold much, but I used one for light use at home for awhile.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950524000P?sbf=Brand&sbv=Craftsman&vName=Tools&cName=Mechanics+Tools&sName=Lift+Equipment

Here is a 2 1/4 ton model, which may be what you already have. Not sure if you are going to get any lighter and more compact than that- outside of using the scissor jack.

Thats what I have. So does everyone just use the OE scissor jack for emergencies.

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007
Crosspost from DIY

http://www.ultimate-air.com/

It's cheaper version of the more popular power tank.

So its basically a Co2 tank and regulator that can do everything an air compressor can do except its portable. I use it primarly for airing up tires and cleaning out my computer. You can run air tools off of it. I think a 10lb tank can run a 1/2" impact for over 3 minutes continuously. Its also got enough balls to reseat tire beads. To refill it, just take it to a welding supply store and it costs about $20. True, a normal compressor is probably cheaper but, I can keep mine in my car for emergencies and its great if you live in an apartment and dont want to piss off the neighbors with a noisy compressor.

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

I really don't recommend keeping that in passenger compartment or trunk of a car. If that top or regulator ever gives out or breaks off it will basically turn into a rocket and immedietly fog every window in the car. So even if it doesn't shoot around/through the car and hit you, you won't be able to see where you are going to stop. On top of all of that if you can't get out of the car you could suffocate.

Not likely to happen, but why take the chance by having that thing rolling around in your trunk?

I keep it on the floor of the back seat, so it doesn't roll around at all. I'm not really worried to much about it. Mabey in a side-impact car accident it might be enough to break the regulator. There is also a safety 'button' on the valve that will pop if it gets to hot/too much pressure. But I've read that you can bury this in the sand in the dessert and you wouldn't have problems (unless the tank was overfilled). And in a fire it would help if it burst.

Powertank posted:

Q: “How safe is a tank of compressed CO2 in a vehicle?”
A: The Power TankTM uses liquid CO2 gas which is an inert, non-toxic, non-corrosive, non-flammable gas. Our aluminum tanks are D.O.T. (Dept. of Transportation) approved. CO2 goes through a phase change from liquid to vapor as it releases its energy. This evaporative process slows the pressure release rate meaning that a CO2 tank will not become a high speed rocket like a scuba tank would in the rare event of a valve decapitation. A Power Tank is as safe as a CO2 fire extinguisher.

Nitrox posted:

Edit: Can anyone explain how those things work? ^^^

I keep a 7 gallon aluminum tank with the same hose setup for random tire inflations. Easy to refill and has enough air for 4 tires. Bought it all from HF many years ago and it wasn't more than $50.

I don't know if your talking about air or Co2 but this is different than a normal air tank. The Co2 is under high pressure (1200-1500psi) The tank is tested to 3000 psi iirc. So the Co2 is in liquid form and has a lot more energy than compressed air. So a 10lb tank of Co2 can air up about 20-25 normal car tires.

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007

Delivery McGee posted:

Speaking of odd-sized Torx, where can I get some smaller than T10?

I bought one of these a few months ago. Its alright for occasional use. And for 6 bucks I can't complain.

Kobalt precision torx driver Has t4-t15 bits.

Husky's version

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007
For lugs, a beam-style is the cheapest and the best type of torque wrench.

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007

oxbrain posted:

I'm planning on building something like this, but with a larger tank, for track use.
http://www.instructables.com/id/CO2-system-for-running-air-tools-and-filling-tires/

I have one of those. Quoting myself.

maxwedge posted:

http://www.ultimate-air.com/

It's cheaper version of the more popular power tank.

So its basically a Co2 tank and regulator that can do everything an air compressor can do except its portable. I use it primarly for airing up tires and cleaning out my computer. You can run air tools off of it. I think a 10lb tank can run a 1/2" impact for over 3 minutes continuously. Its also got enough balls to reseat tire beads. To refill it, just take it to a welding supply store and it costs about $20. True, a normal compressor is probably cheaper but, I can keep mine in my car for emergencies and its great if you live in an apartment and dont want to piss off the neighbors with a noisy compressor.

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007

Lowclock posted:

Is there such thing as a good 1/2" pneumatic impact gun for under 100 bucks? I currently have a super cheap like 15 dollar harbor freight one, and it's as worthless as it is huge and heavy. My friend has the Ingersoll Rand "Thunder Gun" from harbor freight which works awesome, but that was like $200 and I really don't see myself using it very often.

Garage Journal and others say the Ingersoll Rand 231c is good ($110). Thinking about picking one up myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwedge
May 7, 2007

Wagonburner posted:

What's a better 12v tire-inflator compressor?

CO2 is an option.