Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Michael Bolton posted:

At least I didn't break any tools getting the job done like Blaise did.

First rule of working on poo poo with Blaise; Blaise always breaks poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

miklm posted:

I just got a surplus air compressor from my brother, a Campbell-Hausfeld 4hp/13gal unit that will suit my uses perfectly. Had to wire a new plug on it and replace the quick coupler, but $Free is good (well, $15 in parts to fix)

I've been shopping for an impact for months now, and finally bought a Farmhand brand from Tractor Supply. It is made by Campbell-Hausfeld, but the whole thing is metal, not cheap plastic. Seems better built than the more expensive CH units, and $80 with a 3 year warranty.

Thanks for the heads-up on this. I just bought one. It's pretty nice, but much more air-hungry compared to missing Snap-On unit. It's really showing how wimpy my 8 gallon Harbor Freight compressor is. gently caress lending tools out, man. Never again.

On the upside, I also swung by Sears and picked up a set of these bad boys in SAE.

I highly recommend them!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

AcCeL posted:

I use those for work all the time, the only thing that bugs me is the pivoting head sometimes moves too much and I cant get as much torque on the bolts. I recently bought one with a fixed head and it's great. I have to swap between the two of them sometimes though because it's hard to get to some bolts without the swivel.

You can lock the pivot angle on the heads with these Craftsman units. They're AWESOME. There was also the GearWrench brand at the Sears store and they were cheaper, but they couldn't lock the head angle so I passed on them. Also, Craftsman warranty.

Octavio Barnaby Sr. posted:

I think Kobalt makes a set now that have a little lever you have to flip before it will swivel. It can lock on the left side, straight, or the right, and you may be able to reverse the ratchet without flipping the wrench over.

I looked at the Kobalts because I general like Lowes so much more than Sears these days but they didn't lock the head angle either.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

EvilDonald posted:

Without spending tons of money on one you won't get a terribly accurate clicky wrench, but you can certainly find one that's "close enough".

With that said I'd like to mention I got my 3/8-inch drive Snap-On click-type torque-wrench for $25.

Garage sales, estate sales - I love them.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I much prefer a good analog dial tire guage. They're much more accurate and usually have a button to release air from the tire to get things perfect, a good one will hold pressure after you remove it from the tire as well.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
What do you guys think about this guy? I'm pretty hot on it to replace my HF 8 gallon that randomly stops working until I hit it with a hammer.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I think they want $429 for it and I think the HP rating is wrong or something because it looks to be the exact same motor as what's on the higher rated units they've got sitting next to it in the store. Except the higher rated units are 240v only. Which makes me think this unit will perform best if I give it 240v.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 23, 2009

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

sharkytm posted:

Ditch it. Its only 1.6 HP, look at the CFM specs. My 1.6HP oilless direct drive Craftsman that I'm selling makes 4.9CFM@90psi.

Do what I did, and buy a good compressor. The one I bought is a great deal, 240v, 35A, 14.6CFM@90psi, and $599.
Just because it looks the same means nothing. Motors of the same framesize can range from 1hp to 7.5hp. Same size base, same size cover, different motor.

Well, I'm trying to buy a good compressor. But I need portability, and that means the ability to run 120v. I can put 240v in the garage, so if it switches that's great, but the numbers on that unit seem pretty good compared to what's available in portable units for the price. Additionally, it's seperate pump and motor, which means I can always bolt a more powerful motor in it's place. DeWalt makes the D55168 which compares to the unit I've posted, but it's oiless and I'm not sure why I'd want to spend more on it.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
No I believe you, man. But I also wanted quieter and longer life, because the garage is under the kid's bedrooms and I usually keep my stuff a long long time.

This is the unit I have today.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=40400

It's ok. Changing tires, running the air ratchets(iffy), inflating tires. But it shakes itself to pieces and everything has broken on it at least once and sometimes it just refuses to run. The tank only inflates on mine to 105psi indicated. So it's weezing right out the gate, and I don't feel there is any way it's pushing 5 SCFM @ 90 PSI.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

sharkytm posted:

Thats one of the best nailgun compressors out there for sure. I don't know how it'll handle automotive duties though. Small tanks make it very portable, but not a lot of "staying power". TC, tell us exactly what you'll be doing, and we can come up with a better option.

Mostly garage work. I pulled the motor with the old tank, running impacts, air ratchets here and there. Air hammers/chisels. I'd like to strip the bed of the truck and repaint it. I'd like to cut out my rockers to weld new-ones in. Things like that. Occasionally I'd take it out with me to do other work like sandblasting or chiseling concrete. I'll probably be using it to chisel the concrete off the posts of my old fence when I dig it out this summer.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
Today is my birthday, this is what I scored.

Oscar thinks they taste pretty good.

34 pieces craftsman SAE and metric, plus three craftsman professional thin profile fine-tooth ratchets.

Now I gotta find a storage solution, I've been keeping my meager selection of wrenches in an old crown royal bag, I don't think this is going to fit.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I was thinking about canvas roll-up bags. I don't have a toolbox really, and I need something that'll throw in the back of the Scout and keep things safe while bouncing about off-road.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Elviscat posted:

I have a Horror Fright $500 TIG/SMAW welder, and it's pretty awesome, good controls, dual voltage, all the components are decent quality and quite rugged, time will tell if it has some fatal flaw, welds pretty good for now though.

Any opinion on this dude? I’ve got some money burning a hole in my pocket and I’m really wanting to learn.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, one of those do it once accidently and never again moments.

You say that but; Time makes fools of us all, or at least me. The battery is just such a nice convenient flat place to drop tools on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I spent some time oiling and lightly sanding this guy the other day and decided I should take some pictures of it and share. I'm pretty sure this specific tool is not one that most have in their arsenal.

Ok, WTF it's just a hammer? Yeah, but it's a really good hammer, and they were made specifically for Bell Telephone....

They were manufactured by Stanley and it's called a "linesman hammer"

I inherited this hammer from my great-uncle. He became a linesman for Bell back in 1945, but I suspect this hammer is much newer. Regardless, it shows a lot of use, and I still use it on the regular today. In my toolbox it's known as "the persuader" and no balljoint has resisted the urgent demands this hammer has placed on it.

Like a lot of really great American tools they're not made anymore, but if you ever come across one of them at a garage sale or whatever I highly recommend you take it home with you. It is by far my favorite tool in the toolbox.