Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

csammis posted:

You umbasses :argh:

I am using this famework for a project now, and all this time I have been pronouncing it with a D. Duh-Jango :(

However this framework blows everything out of the water in terms of making a content based website. I just wish the template language was a little looser and allowed recursion.

Habnabit posted:

Has anyone here with Django experience also used Pylons? I'd previously always written my pages as mod_python extensions and then moved on to using Pylons. Now, after I have my site all set up again using Pylons, I've heard a lot about Django being the better choice for a framework. Reading through this example, I've seen some things I like and dislike about doing things the Django way instead, but the one thing I noticed the most was that it seemed to be a lot more work to set up from scratch.

So, any insight as to why Django is a better choice of framework or whether it does take more time to set up?

I also looked at pylons. Pylons stuff is a bit more modular, while django has a tendency to slowly bleed together in the deployment stages. However for the minor inconvenience you get a actively developed framework, some of the best documentation on a project I have ever seen for free, and the amazing admin interface (thats surprisingly easy to extend). Pylons seems to want to be more like Ruby on Rails, and more for making webapps, as well as being a framework you kind of pick and choose different parts of to piece together your own framework.

FUN DEBUGGING TIP: if you throw a print statement into your pages, and you are running the webserver using the manage.py runserver, it will print out to that window what ever you printed.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 8, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Oben posted:

I'm hugely impressed with the admin thing. In about a day I've gone from never having touched Python to having built a whole working admin system for my site with 15 connected tables. Hopefully deploying the thing will be as easy...

Its not painful but its no party.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

It looks like I may have a project coming up that deals with Ajax. Not like a metric ton of ajax, but a pretty fair amount. Mostly visual/organization related. Is django solid enough with ajax to still use it, or do I need to consider doing it on rails.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

So is everyone using the .96 release of django or the latest on subversion. When looking to extending the admin panel they keep saying they want to overhaul it with newforms and such. It seems like a few things are in limbo at the moment. I have been sticking to .96.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 29, 2008