Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyne
May 30, 2007
Beauty is a rare thing.

Kai was taken posted:

Any word on Live 8? I'm still rolling with 6, and I want to try and just skip 7 and go to 8, since it's this late in the cycle. Although, I don't know if it's worth it, if 8 is going to be out within any reasonable amount of time.

For a while Ableton was really rolling these suckers out but I get the feeling we're gonna be sticking with 7 for a little while now. That's just a hunch though, I don't have any inside info or anything.

To be honest if you're happy with Live 6 I'd say just stick with it unless there's some really compelling reason you have for wanting to upgrade. I just recently upgraded from version 5 and really I don't think that there are a ton of big deals that the average Live user would miss by not upgrading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

Kai was taken posted:

To me, this sounds like a filler track that you'd hear from a major DJ.

...In 1998, at that.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

Yeah, but if you say it like that, you could argue that all music is fundamentally the same. Input > Effects > Output. Channels > Master.

Any word on Live 8? I'm still rolling with 6, and I want to try and just skip 7 and go to 8, since it's this late in the cycle. Although, I don't know if it's worth it, if 8 is going to be out within any reasonable amount of time.

ableton is working with cycling74(max/msp) to make some crafty poo poo for live8. thats the word on the ableton forums at least.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

...In 1998, at that.

I disagree, it sounds like a 2007 Sean Tyas track :) Specifically, his remix of Bobina - Lighthouse (compare the main part at about 3:00 in the mp3 with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kdGAdFQdF0, starting at about 1:45).

edit: and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5Fc0ehPso, starting at about 3:30

wayfinder fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 12, 2008

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Cyne posted:

For a while Ableton was really rolling these suckers out but I get the feeling we're gonna be sticking with 7 for a little while now. That's just a hunch though, I don't have any inside info or anything.

To be honest if you're happy with Live 6 I'd say just stick with it unless there's some really compelling reason you have for wanting to upgrade. I just recently upgraded from version 5 and really I don't think that there are a ton of big deals that the average Live user would miss by not upgrading.

I've used 7 quite a bit. 5 to 6 was a huge jump, 6 to 7 is not quite as big. It's not going to kill me to wait to upgrade, but if I have to say, wait another year for it, I'd rather do it now.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

wayfinder posted:

I disagree, it sounds like a 2007 Sean Tyas track :) Specifically, his remix of Bobina - Lighthouse (compare the main part at about 3:00 in the mp3 with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kdGAdFQdF0, starting at about 1:45).

edit: and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KM5Fc0ehPso, starting at about 3:30

Well, we ARE discussing a genre thats generally not developed much since that era. Maybe not 1998, but definitely 2002 and onwards.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
Any opinions on the M-Audio ProKeys 88? I'd like to get something that I can use as both a MIDI controller as well as learn to really play piano on, and there's a good deal on a used one locally I'm interested in. Either that or the Keystation Pro 88, which would be a better MIDI controller but has no built-in piano sounds. I don't think that really matters, however.

SeductiveReasoning fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 12, 2008

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Altoidss posted:

Still on the speculation stage, all we know about it is that no one needs a vocoder.
Resonators do the job pretty well, too :)

oredun posted:

ableton is working with cycling74(max/msp) to make some crafty poo poo for live8. thats the word on the ableton forums at least.

I hope they're actually working, because they've kept all of this mightily quiet.

I think the interface might benefit from offloading stuff to the graphics card (e.g. smooth scrolling, lots of small clips. I'd also like a high-quality timestretch algorithm - don't care if it has to be rendered first, but something like Prosoniq TimeFactory. Also, background audio file consolidation and flattening - just block the entire track from doing anything like editing (for multicore only). Multi-monitor support so you could at least dedicate an entire window to the device and file explorer.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Well, we ARE discussing a genre thats generally not developed much since that era. Maybe not 1998, but definitely 2002 and onwards.
There was a period of stagnancy in song structure and slow development in sound design, but I think the last year or so has changed some things with a more techy, riff-based and less melodic approach by a lot of popular artists. It's still one of the most formulaic genres, but there is more than one formula :)

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

wayfinder posted:

There was a period of stagnancy in song structure and slow development in sound design, but I think the last year or so has changed some things with a more techy, riff-based and less melodic approach by a lot of popular artists. It's still one of the most formulaic genres, but there is more than one formula :)

Well okay that may be true. I've sorta just ignored it, only casually peeking checking out coupple of times a year, and they seemed to be playing the same poo poo whenever I did.

I need to check it out now again then I guess. Are either van buuren or schulz okay'ish representatives? They used to be.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Yoozer posted:

I hope they're actually working, because they've kept all of this mightily quiet.

I've heard this along the grapevine too, from a number of sources now - I was talking to guy j about it when he last played in liverpool. He confirmed they were working together and was in the process of trying to find as much about it as possible. Thats as much as i've found out from anyone.

What i'm hoping for (and probably the most logical option) is the ability to bring up an audiomulch/ max/msp style schematic view up, although as to what extent that will be taken i'm not sure.
Im not so hot on other software, but as far as I know nothing else has it beyond a very basic processing level, does it? Could be the first schematic mixing/mastering solution if so, and good lord that would be amazing.

Oh yeah, quicny - I just re-discovered faust on tindeck. Can I post it? :3:

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

cubicle gangster posted:

Oh yeah, quicny - I just re-discovered faust on tindeck. Can I post it? :3:

hahaha sure go ahead. the project is gone for me anyway. in fact i think you have the only version left of it now? So many hours into that...

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm not even sure where mine is. Probably on my external HD, lost 10 folders deep somewhere.

Here's a track me and quincy made about 6 months ago, anyway:

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Monopthalmus posted:

Any opinions on the M-Audio ProKeys 88? I'd like to get something that I can use as both a MIDI controller as well as learn to really play piano on, and there's a good deal on a used one locally I'm interested in. Either that or the Keystation Pro 88, which would be a better MIDI controller but has no built-in piano sounds. I don't think that really matters, however.

I got the Keystation Pro 88 and I got no problems with it, if you got any specific questions just shoot.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm not even sure where mine is. Probably on my external HD, lost 10 folders deep somewhere.

Here's a track me and quincy made about 6 months ago, anyway:

oh jesus I dont remember the levels being so out of whack ahahaha

good times!

HE MIXED IT GUYS NOT ME OKAY

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Yeah i'll give you that, the levels on it are hosed. The mastering is a mess. Thats was done before I knew what the word meant.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

cubicle gangster posted:

What i'm hoping for (and probably the most logical option) is the ability to bring up an audiomulch/ max/msp style schematic view up, although as to what extent that will be taken i'm not sure.

I hope they start implementing things like pluggo's plugin building and fix some of the annoying nuisances of the arrangement view.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

cubicle gangster posted:

Im not so hot on other software, but as far as I know nothing else has it beyond a very basic processing level, does it? Could be the first schematic mixing/mastering solution if so, and good lord that would be amazing.
You mean like buzz and psycle?

Click here for the full 711x599 image.

Available since like 1997 :)

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.
Wasn't psycle developed by the now diseased Arguru (RIP)?
Also, I'm sure wayfinder already knows this, but buzz is under development again! There's some tasty new betas out there. Looks rather promising.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

The Fog posted:

Wasn't psycle developed by the now diseased Arguru (RIP)?
Also, I'm sure wayfinder already knows this, but buzz is under development again! There's some tasty new betas out there. Looks rather promising.

Yes on both :) I just added a subforum for NewBuzz to Buzzchurch, in fact, and I've been using the new buzz betas for a while now.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
EDIT: Nevermind, my question should be in Yoozer's thread.

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Oct 13, 2008

fat gay nonce
May 13, 2003
actual penis length: |-----------|

Winner, PWM POTM January
Would love to get some feedback on a remix myself and a friend have spent a few days working on. It's of Britney Spears Womanizer which is pretty terrible but the vocals are nice and rhythmic which we kind of liked so decided to have a go at making it more to our tastes. There's not really much beyond initial mixing so forgive any muddyness.

I'm not even really sure what genre we were going for so I can't really say it's anything but vaguely housey.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

BunnyX posted:

Would love to get some feedback on a remix myself and a friend have spent a few days working on. It's of Britney Spears Womanizer which is pretty terrible but the vocals are nice and rhythmic which we kind of liked so decided to have a go at making it more to our tastes. There's not really much beyond initial mixing so forgive any muddyness.

I'm not even really sure what genre we were going for so I can't really say it's anything but vaguely housey.

By itself it seems like it'd make a better song by itself, it doesn't feel like it suits Britney's voice really (especially the intro). Cool detail, but it doesn't feel like it comes together until the second last bit but, still not all the way. You guys should make this a track in itself, it would work better on it's own than a remix really. Good work though, enjoyed the bass (or whatever that was) noodling too.

To toot my own horn, I made this weird, but catchy, minimalist song today. Took an old bass riff I'd made and tried it on a different instrument (organ) and after couldn't stop working on it:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

wayfinder posted:

You mean like buzz and psycle?
Available since like 1997 :)

I guess I do then.

Still it'd be better in ableton... ;)

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

IanTheM posted:

To toot my own horn, I made this weird, but catchy, minimalist song today. Took an old bass riff I'd made and tried it on a different instrument (organ) and after couldn't stop working on it:

Your production value has got to be a lot higher than it is to pass as a minimalist song. The more basic a song is, the better you have to do it to keep it from sounding like some poo poo a 14-year-old cooked up with Fruityloops.

Also, you need to modulate the sound more if it's going to constantly loop like that, or else it gets stale really, really fast.

I think the idea is so-so, but it's really not mixing well. The reverb on some of the lower-frequency instruments is really clogging up the mix with them triggering that fast and that often.

I do think that this could work, though, but this feels more like a musical sketchpad or experiment, more than a deliberately-made track with the elements like they are.

quote:

The beat seems a little bit.. not dancy, like it's not fluid enough, like the beat spacing isn't equal in the beginning.

I like where it's heading, but it seems like there's a few glaring things with the timbres of some instruments and the beat timing, and the fact that it sounds like the song goes in four different directions from time to time. Like, the beat structure will radically change and it throws me off. Everything is really bright, too.

Trance identified itself. It went from this experimental sound in the 90's, in the same soup as Eurodance and the 80's techno tracks, to something more tangible. It's the same thing that happens with other genres. They start out as this what the gently caress experimental poo poo, and then once ideas and concepts get pinned down, it stops branching out, and starts developing internally.

For that matter, I can say that hard rock hasn't changed since the 80's. Well, it has, but it's still fundamentally the same, just like trance over the past 8 years is. I can say that When the Dawn Breaks doesn't follow the same base structure as trance did 10 years ago, but it's still trance.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 13, 2008

an actual cat irl
Aug 29, 2004

I know this is a little off topic, but I think someone might be able to help me.

Does anyone know of any good electro/tech house forums? You know, like trance.nu/tranceaddict.com/dogsonacid.com but for electro?

Pussy v. Sperguson
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a total rube about electronic music in general and I'm not entirely certain what is specific to electro and what isn't, but I've found some good discussion on electronic production in general over at the MSTRKRFT forums. http://mstrkrft.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi?board=wordup

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Alright, I've made a sketch of a song, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

There's the entire song. I still need to add effects (white noise builds, etc), maybe more percussion, and some vocals (and maybe a different break), but I just wanted some thoughts on the sketch.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the main beat to hit harder? Should I just add in more noise?

dookie
Aug 28, 2003

Hey dudes, I was hoping I could get some critique of a song I finished yesterday. I'm still very new to this whole Reason business so give me a helpful nudge into the right direction.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Altoidss posted:

Alright, I've made a sketch of a song, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it.

You've got a new PM by the way :v:

re: your track - cymbal hit at 0:59 (and the others, too) is very loud, at 1:29 a stuttering/reverb effect like in Ida Engberg - Disco Volante would be nice.

I'd make the portamento around the 2:00 mark a bit faster, and I'd keep the bass (which kicks in at 2:30) at one pitch (otherwise the entire song is sort of seasick). I do like the stuff around 4:00 with the James Brown breakbeat.

Do add the vocals. Goes with the style, I guess, but it also brings a little more variety. Overall a bit more highs in the mix wouldn't hurt.

re: dookie's track: percussion may use a volume boost, and you probably want to layer this percussion - get some hihats moving in there and overlay it with a beat (for starters, try the amen break). I'd add a little reverb to the sound at 0:49 and onwards. Chord progression is pretty nice, by the way.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Yoozer posted:

You've got a new PM by the way :v:

Responded!

quote:

re: your track - cymbal hit at 0:59 (and the others, too) is very loud, at 1:29 a stuttering/reverb effect like in Ida Engberg - Disco Volante would be nice.

Yeah, I should change the cymbal sound. I'll work on that. The first break needs more noise too.

quote:

I'd make the portamento around the 2:00 mark a bit faster, and I'd keep the bass (which kicks in at 2:30) at one pitch (otherwise the entire song is sort of seasick). I do like the stuff around 4:00 with the James Brown breakbeat.

All of those things are kind of fidget stuff. The seasickness is on purpose :cool:

Maybe it's a bit too much. I'd like to find another break, too, because that one is EVERYWHERE.

quote:

Do add the vocals. Goes with the style, I guess, but it also brings a little more variety. Overall a bit more highs in the mix wouldn't hurt.

That was what I was going to do. Problem is, I have no vocals to put in! I'd like something like the "you gonna take this" in Dirt Diver... do you think they recorded that or is there somewhere I can download weird little vocal samples like that?

Overall, I'd like to use more samples. I think I'm actually going to scrap that arrangement and start over, focusing more on the main beat.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.
So I've been working on this song for about a day or so now, and I'm looking for some feedback on what I have so far. Does anyone see any glaring problems with the track, and any sort of specific flourishes I should be adding to it? I feel like it needs some spicing up, but I'm not sure exactly where I should be doing the spicing. Also it, you know, needs a real ending.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

dookie posted:

Hey dudes, I was hoping I could get some critique of a song I finished yesterday. I'm still very new to this whole Reason business so give me a helpful nudge into the right direction.

This isnt bad, just need some work on the mastering side. The bass overpowers a lot of it - if you drop this a little and sidechain it with your kick it would sit much better, and the drums need a lot more weight behind them too. Play around with layering and compression/eq tricks to pull them through the mix.
Once you have that sorted, it's a pretty good base. Some extra layers and one shots would help too - just noises littered around to make it more interesting and add some minor dynamics.

Also, how many people here have a musicians myspace page? I just started one if anyone fancies a love in. Get them posted!
http://www.myspace.com/getondowntonight

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
Finally bit the bullet and started putting something together, even if it sounds generic.

Click here to listen!

It's my first thing I've ever put together and it's nowhere near done. So far, I need to start adding a second part. I need to change up the drum patterns and I need to find a way to add more of a kick to the mix.

What else do I need to work on? Now that I have one riff done, how would I go about makign the second? Do more drugs and drink and tool around until it gets done? This is the first time I'm doing this so some directions and where I'm messing up would be really nice.

When I turn up the bass it gets all muddy sounding, should I be reading up about compressors?

Adrenochrome fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 22, 2008

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.
What do ya'll use to organize your drum samples in Logic/Pro Tools? I'm a diehard simpler in Live kinda guy, with seperated tracks for EVERY indivdual drum hit.. but now I'm attempting to learn Logic and quickly learning I don't know what the gently caress to do with drums once I've lost my precious Simpler and Impulse. I'm thinking about just straight up putting them all in as audio tracks.. but working with fills just sounds horrendous without MIDI.

And I really hate iDrum, Drumagog, all of that bullshit. I HAVE to have separated tracks for all of my drum parts. Anyone have a neat solution for this in Logic?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
How about Revisit? It's a VST tracker. Use it together with a sampler and a drum map and there you go.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

I Dig Gardening posted:

What do ya'll use to organize your drum samples in Logic/Pro Tools? I'm a diehard simpler in Live kinda guy, with seperated tracks for EVERY indivdual drum hit.. but now I'm attempting to learn Logic and quickly learning I don't know what the gently caress to do with drums once I've lost my precious Simpler and Impulse. I'm thinking about just straight up putting them all in as audio tracks.. but working with fills just sounds horrendous without MIDI.

And I really hate iDrum, Drumagog, all of that bullshit. I HAVE to have separated tracks for all of my drum parts. Anyone have a neat solution for this in Logic?

Uh just load up multiple ESX24s? Why do you want each hit on a seperate track by the way?

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

I Dig Gardening posted:

NI Battery

Stux posted:

Uh just load up multiple ESX24s? Why do you want each hit on a seperate track by the way?

Cleaner and easier to mix!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Fog posted:

NI Battery

Cleaner and easier to mix!

If thats the only reason then set the EXS up as multi out, you get seperate channels for each hit for putting on EQ, compression, effects etc, while having the ease of using one track for all the programming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Dig Gardening
Jan 13, 2004

I cant tonight, babe. Im going online.

Stux posted:

If thats the only reason then set the EXS up as multi out, you get seperate channels for each hit for putting on EQ, compression, effects etc, while having the ease of using one track for all the programming.

It was a trick I learned from MSTRKRFT. My drums have improved quadruple ever since I started doing it. What helps me is that I can CLEARLY see where the hi hats come in, the cowbell drops.. where the break happens.. etc. If it's just one track holding all that info I can't visually see any of that. All I see is a single bar. That visual aspect for me is key and it let's me be more creative and intuitive!

Plus I like to use alot of semi-complex routing when it comes to my drum tracks. I usually have a couple aux tracks dedicated to different eq's, reverbs and saturators. That's something I can't do with Drum Racks or EXS, even if every drum channel has a spot for separate effects.

Thanks for the EXS suggestion, I'll try it out.

• Locked thread