Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Packed Tightly posted:

Anybody?

the bass is lifeless you gotta get on the pitchwheel to make good dnb, but i also think it needs some filtering and more resonance...also while drum and bass'y i would almost call this a breaks track because the drums are not super prominent like they should be in dnb

i really like how youve edited the drums, best part imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

archie posted:

pretty sure the machine drum isn't analogue mate

nice advice and such though, good posting (sounds sarcastic but it's not meant to be)

no, those two drums machines use analog circuits to produce their sound.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Anal Surgery posted:

Well the reason I'm playing with them is to make my own aggressive gabber/digital hardcore drum beats. I prefer my DAW to the tracker, since it's easier to use. I was just having a hard time crafting some face-melting drum loops and a tracker was suggested to me.

trust me, if there is an easier way than trackers, I'm up for it. I'm still trying to work on WanderingKid's method also.

i dont think a tracker will help you make better music

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Yoozer posted:

:what:

Seriously, either give sane, reproducible advice or don't. You can not do this with saw waves in the conventional way*.

Exactly.

Where to find it? Old-rear end sample CDs like this.

Protip: Classical music with lots of choirs. Carmina Burana, for instance! Let's hear what happens when we sample a choir:

http://www.theheartcore.com/music/carmina_sampling.mp3

Problem solved :v:.

Pick any minor, major or fifth, make sure it's short, and load the fragment up into any software sampler. Yeah, they can do portamento, too. Try the same with old disco and pop music, you'll be surprised at the results (and the fact that you don't have to pay anything to clear these samples since they're almost impossible to trace back to the source.).

edit: This is why recreating the lead chord sound of James Brown Is Dead on any synthesizer is so goddamn hard.

* the unconventional way is to take an additive synthesizer with complex envelopes and 20,000 partials, and then to resynthesize everything so you end up with the separate sinewaves. You can do this either the clever automated way with a dose of Matlab or the manual way with a dose of autism.

it sounds like some typical ravy supersaw stabs to me, it dosnt really sound like the chopped up sample you posted.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
at this point theory will help you ALOT more than learning to program synths

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
the delays on electribes are awesome, i melted mine and i really just miss the delay

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

Something still confuses me about layering sounds. I get the theory of it, but can someone do a quick run through of how to layer samples in Reason?

open multiple REdrums and put diff samples in each one, and then set them up to run on the same midi pattern.

there may be an easier way, im not a reason head

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

I Dig Gardening posted:

I don't do anything to my kicks. No compressor, nothing. The occasional REALLY LIGHT EQing.. but that's it. Yeah, the sample of the original kick matters alot. I don't like VEC sounds at all, I have my own stuff I use. But it comes down the quality of your mixes. If you mix it right, it should sound huge.

I don't use compressors on any channel except for the master. I also always have my kicks set to -10db, believe it or not. The volume of the rest of the tracks I judge by both my ear and in comparison to how they sound next to the -10db kick.

lol where do you think your kicks come from? magic? the sample bunny?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Cyne posted:

All of the notes are there.

Also, if I create a new project and record the Prophet there everything's fine, it's only in this specific project that it's acting up. I'm thinking I may just create a new project, record the couple chords that I'm using from the Prophet there and then just bounce it to an audio file. That synth's a resource hog anyway. Still I would like to get this figured out in case it happens again.

i think its set in unison or monophonic mode so it can only play one note at a time

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

He allready covered monophonic, but check unison mode if its on. I dont have the arturia prophet, but the pro-53 (also based on prophet V iirc?) refuses to play chords in unison mode when I tried it just now, so check that out maybe.

unison=monophonic

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

The Fog posted:

So, in essence he's saying:
Unison -> Monophony
rather than:
Unison <-> Monophony
or:
Unison = Monophony
Correct?

yeah thats what i meant you bunch of synth snobs

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Caffeinated Sloth posted:

I've been thinking of doing this for quite a while as a hobby, and this thread has been very helpful.

I need to get a MIDI controler. I'm trying to decide between the M-Audio Axiom (49 keys, available for $235.06 at Amazon) and the Edirol PC-80 (61 keys, available for $199.00 from ZZounds.com). The PC-80 includes a synthesizer, but I plan on using software synths so that's not a huge deal to me. Still, it's $30 cheaper for another 12 keys. Am I missing something? Does anyone have other suggestions for MIDI controlers?

i dont really think those are in the same niche. it dosnt come with a synth it comes with a soft synth, which is meaningless because you can probably find free ones that are better(reFX orca VST, its sweet try it) also, not having knobs and trying to control VSTs or perform is really annoying. really annoying.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EDIPCR800

that one is more similar to the axiom. i like the keys on the edirols more than the axiom. thats an opinion tho. i have also read that like 50% of the edirols fail if you dont use them for months at a time. i have had mine for around 2-3 years with months without use and it works perfectly(and i beat the poo poo out of it). YMMV.

goto GC and try them out, but like breaks said, theyre all very similar and the one with the most knobs and poo poo is probably best.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

I got my monitors back! The mix was for sure lacking.

There's the new version. I beefed up the bass drum and sub bass a ton, and generally messed around with the mix. This is a really difficult song to mix, at least to me... everything has to be loud. There isn't really any breathing room at all. So I need critiques on my mixing, above all.

I don't know how to glitch things up, really. The only program I have any proficiency in is Reason. I have Ableton Live, but I haven't gotten used to the workflow differences.

Anyway, it's funny how songs evolve. I originally planned for it to be a fidget tune, but the rhythmic thing wasn't bouncy enough, and I added the saws and it all fell into place from there.

One other random question: My desk is really cramped, so my set up is an Axiom 61, sound card, two KRK RP8s, and a laptop crammed so close together that there is barely any breathing room. So, the tangle of wires causes a lot of static to come out of my speakers when they're turned on. If music is playing I don't notice it, but it's still annoying. Will this damage my speakers, and even if it won't, how do I get rid of it?

im not an expert on the subject but i feel like everything in your mix is to loud. there is absolutely no dynamics and everything is kind of too loud and maybe a little irritating(think listening to justice cross, good album but just to loud IMO). you really need to automate more parameters and change random little things here and there. and change the velocity on things too. your cymbals didnt really sound bad or anything but if there the velocity was changed to add some swing and groove to it, it would sound alot better.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

squidgee posted:

So I've been experimenting with modulation and funky chords (introducing 7th, 9th, and 11ths into my chord structures) recently because my songs are way too bland, and I'm stuck wondering if I'm doing a decent job figuring out how to smoothly transition from key to key since I'm so unfamiliar with the concept. Am I getting the general idea with this experiment, or is there something I should be doing to make the change smoother? For reference, I'm going from A min to C maj.

try using chord inversions that use notes from the previous chord when going through chord progressions.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

quick question:

Is there a guide anywhere for using Ableton Live for people already experienced with some other DAW? I think I've gotten fairly good at Reason, but I want to move into Live so I can more easily work with samples. I've bought the program, and I went through the tutorials, but the workflow is so different I've been kinda unable to adapt. Is there something like this out there or should I just figure it out on my own?

RTFM RTFM RTFM READ THE loving MANUAL!!

ableton has the greatest manual of any manual i have ever read. just read the manual.

also, you can rewire reason into ableton so you can sample thor/redrum and still use all your favorite patches. so basically its like you still have reason, but its alot better and more useful.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

squidgee posted:

:eng101: Portamento and glide are the same thing.

EDIT: Although I should say that I'm talking about on synths, since sometimes people do use glide to refer to glissando and then it's not the same thing at all.

yeah, he was saying that different synths say different things but mean the same

and all this compressor talk, i dont really understand you A/B testing people because i dont understand how you are matching levels because when you compress a sound you are making the peaks quieter so you can turn it up in a mix, so even though the peaks arent louder the whole sound is.

and PS, loudness is not always better, just try to listen to the new justice album for while(i like it but goddamn)

EDIT:

The Fog posted:

You don't use compressors to make the sound perceivably louder while keeping the same peak, but rather you use compressors to make the peaks lower, maintaining the same perceived loudness.
THAT is the reason you don't A/B at different volumes.
You A/B so that you can hear if the sound is too squashed after compression. If you A/B at different volumes, you'll be unable to tell.

thats what i was trying to say but mine was alot dumber.

oredun fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 25, 2008

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
easily the nerdiest most pointless discussion ive read in a while

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

A MIRACLE posted:

Yes thank you that was very helpful. I just need (a lot) more practice with Ultrabeat and Logic in general.

digital(redlining logic) clipping generally sounds really bad, you want "analog" distortion, like tubes overdriven, distortion pedal, etc.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

I Dig Gardening posted:

I took a completely different approach to mastering with this song, did some things I've never done before and I'm pretty drat happy with the results considering I have no idea what I'm doing.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/19613736863c0046/

Anyone care to comment?

sounds to me like the vocals and the song are not in the same key, pretty dissonant sounding, but it could just be me...decent song tho, nice indy dance feel to it

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

I Dig Gardening posted:

New remix I just finished for Radiohead's new remix contest.. let me know what you guys think. If the feedback is mostly positive (which is what I've been getting thank goodness!) I'll submit it tonight.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/19833954f9b80597/

sounds really good i think, if maybe slightly generic and cliche remix sounding. but not really in a bad way but just throwing that out there. i think the main arpeggiating synth needs to be turned down(maybe EQ'd) a smidge...also maybe resample it and stutter it in a few places to spice it up. really my only complaint is that its kind of really generic dance remix sounding, but its still pro sounding, so props on the song.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

I'm kind of stuck in a rut. I need more material to read. I've been shopping around on Amazon for a bit, and I've added far too many books to my cart than I have time to read.

Are there any books you guys suggest I get besides the Dance Music Manual? Right now, I've got that one, a book on Ableton 7, one on mixing, one on sampling, and one on remixing. I'm debating over whether to get one on synthesis, or just read Synth Secrets again.

maybe get a teacher? or something? is this post even real?

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

Seriously? Dude, I've been working constantly every second of free time I have. See the songs I posted in my thread? I've got about ten times more, and I'm not posting them because they all sound terrible.

The problem is not writer's block. I'm overflowing with ideas. It's that I can't get my ideas to sound good. The only sound I know how to make is all over the one halfway decent song I've posted so far, Death Toll, and that's just distorted, overcompressed poo poo that anyone can do. But when I try to venture out from that, it sounds like poo poo.

So why are you criticizing me for trying to expand my knowledge? It's not like I want a shortcut. Point me to anything and I'll read it any try to apply it, but don't act like I'm not putting in the effort.

EDIT: I like the idea of covering a song, I'll give that a try...

EDIT 2: Even taking your post at face value, I'd LOVE a teacher. I'd kill for the chance to sit down with a professional just for a couple of hours to see how they work. But where am I gonna get a chance to do that?

I want to know more things like this. I never would have figured it out on my own, but all of a sudden my drums sound way better. The problem is most of the materials I've come across are either for complete beginners or for seasoned professionals or math geeks. No in between, really.

can you play an instrument? for me taking lessons for my instrument(and im in college for music, jazz specifically, which again i couldnt learn properly from a book) really opened my eyes to so many techniques that i just couldnt have understood from a book. so thats why i recommend a teacher because they can actually teach you stuff and you dont just read dry rear end literature about what you are doing.

and i never post my songs because i am really just not satisfied with my work yet, everyone who hears them says theyre so pro sounding(everyones e-music is pro sounding these days), why dont i play them out, blah blah. so im right there with you. your earlier post just made me laugh out loud and it almost didnt seem real, so sorry if you were offended.

oredun fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Oct 11, 2008

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

Yeah, but if you say it like that, you could argue that all music is fundamentally the same. Input > Effects > Output. Channels > Master.

Any word on Live 8? I'm still rolling with 6, and I want to try and just skip 7 and go to 8, since it's this late in the cycle. Although, I don't know if it's worth it, if 8 is going to be out within any reasonable amount of time.

ableton is working with cycling74(max/msp) to make some crafty poo poo for live8. thats the word on the ableton forums at least.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
Just wondering if you gentlemen could review a tune of mine

wondering how the mix sounds and if perhaps its to loud? or maybe the mids are a bit to piercing, its hard for me to tell after a while and my roommate suggested i posted it up. im thinking of sampling some distorted guitar riffs and throwing them in there, but im not sure yet. criticisms please! thanks.

edit: and if anyone wants my ableton set for this song just let me know.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Splinter posted:

The comp, gate and auto filter have side chains in 7. None of the devices in 6 had side chains (besides a very limited EQ side chain on one of the comps), but 3rd party plug-ins with side chains worked fine.

edit: i'm slow

what does side chaining the filter do? or do you know a good way to use it? i cant really figure out the sidechaining on the filter.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been working on a new one this week. Took some time off the last one because I couldnt do anything on it I was happy with, need to clear my mind of it for a little while.

It's called 'Take me home (I dont feel too good)'
It was originally just take me home, but I tried to work on it while I was hungover and after an hour the bassline made me feel like I was going to be sick so I added the subtext.
It's just the first 2 minutes to play around with the beat and getting everything to sit right.

sounds like well produced minimal i suppose, that one sound you keep repeating is what drove me to turn it off without listening to the whole thing. it was highly annoying the 200th time i heard it. other that it sounded alright tho.

IanTheM posted:

Production wise it sounds really great, a very calming song too. I think the chorus (effect) could be a bit less on some stuff, but that sinking bassline feels great.

I've been working too lately, trying to work some breaks into my music after listening to quite a bit of Fake Blood. It's still quite a sketch, the transitions I'm not happy with, but I'd like to know which elements of it you guys like.

that sounded terrible and it sounded like a 17 year old made it in fruityloops, sorry. the snares sound really stupid and the whole song sounds like you made it in about 30 minutes. sorry im being so tough on it, but it this is constructive criticism. also, most of the sounds sould like presets off this roland synth i have from 1981. again, sorry for the brutality of this, but if you going to post it up, im going to tell you what i think.

Ben and Stew posted:

Here's my latest track. I posted a clip of it a couple of months ago ago but now it's finally complete. Definitely inspired by some psybient dub i've been listening to.

sounds good, maybe a little tinny sounding with mixing? could just be me. i think if you trance gated the sound that comes in with the highhats(maybe it is the highhats?) about halfway to the breakdown it would add some movement. also, the break down sounds like its going to be some epic face smashing breakdown, but its a pretty huge let down, so you may want to work on that. other than that it sounds nice, although i think some automation will really liven it up and make it sound ALOT more pro.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Elder posted:

Can Ableton handle MIDI information from 2 separate USB devices at the same time?

if they are USB you can select them from the pull down midi from menu and select your devices by name, and yes, you can use more than 2 sources.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Well sure it's cheaper but is it a piece of crap?

they use oxygens in my schools music lab and they have the worst action of any keyboard i have ever used, and they break down all the time. it used to be 100% oxygens and now its around 50% oxygens and 50% just random midi keyboards. YMMV. i think buying an old outdated work station with midi out is the best bet if you want good keys(usually no knobs/sliders tho).

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
^^^^i just got a rm1x for 100$ at a pawnshop. my friend and i were going to look at monitors at GC and hit up the pawnshops on the way found that instead, pretty good deal, but some of my buttons are hosed up tho. i love the blatant ripoffs of so many songs on there.

also, new song for critiquing, its for a live electronica group im trying to do. this is not to be released(i.e. given to my friends on CDs) and only played live(i have another way more chill version i have for demos, alot shorter too) so just prefacing for some perspective.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Mannex posted:

Ableton's "Analog" softsynth has paremeters that allow you to recreate the "imperfection" of analog synths including random slight detuning of notes and stretched tuning to simulate off-tune oscillators.

i personally think "analog" sounds very digital and VST like. not as a bad thing, i use it, but it doesnt sound very analog to me and im not a synth snob or anything.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

SouvlakiPlaystation posted:

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. I've had other people tell me just the opposite (that the Akai pads are better), but I guess that just goes to show it's all a matter of opinion. Regardless, I think I'm going to go with the Korg. It sucks not having many control knobs (which is why I was asking how the hell you're supposed to go about fading samples in and out, or adding effects on the fly for that matter), but I figure I can just set the sampler next to my Axiom and use all of the faders and sliders on there for that sort of thing...

the akai pads are better once broken in, i think people look over the fact that the pads need a little while of playing to get them good and soft. i think half the reason the pads on every 2000xl feel so nice and squishy its that that have been hit 10,000 times.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Deific Presence posted:

Alright, I went out and bought a laptop. Now I recommend me an audio interface!

- A BUDGET IN NUMBERS OF EUROS OR DOLLARS OR GP: My price limit is about $400-600
- poo poo YOU ALREADY OWN: My bass is still my primary instrument, and basically want to sequence drums and synths to incorporate with my bass playing. I also own the full set of Moogerfoogers, a Moog Little Phatty, a Kaoss Pad 3, and a Kaossilator. My new laptop is an Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 2.0ghz, 3gb of ram, and a 320 gig HD.
- DIRECTION AND PURPOSE: I actually want two, one rackmountable with lots and lots of ins and outs, and a secondary portable one with just a single set of midi and analog i/o would be great. Latency is all-important since I plan on using this for live stuff as well as recording.

the somewhat new ART 8 in rackmount soundcard is supposed to be great and its only like 350$ i use an edirol FA66 and it works perfectly for me, nice and solid.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

wlokos posted:

I've wanted to learn Ableton Live for a long time, but never was able to get used to it after using FL Studio for a very long time (and not really liking it after a while).

Shockingly, now that I'm actually going through the various lessons that are built right into the program, I'm getting used to it and realizing that it's actually a very intuitive program! I got my old keyboard hooked up and everything, so it's actually pretty neat. I'm sure I'll be bombarding you guys with questions soon enough.

you know you can open ableton then open fruity loops and then arm a track and make the input fruity loops and then you can use both programs at once and record FL studio into ableton and things like that.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Halo posted:

I don't really take Daft Punk seriously at all, sorry. And anything that can be done in Live, I could probably do just as well in FL. Maybe even in less time, depending. And don't even put PT in the same category as either. Just because it is a "DAW" doesn't mean it's good for everything. You couldn't pay me to try and use PT's MIDI. File based editing only, please.

everyone watch out, THE MAN HAS JUST ARRIVED!

yeah your right why the gently caress would anyone use anything but fruity loops? what a bunch of fools we've been!

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

What free AU synths are there that are better than the Logic synths? I haven't really found any I like that much, but I've only been looking at vsts. I'm gonna switch over to Logic soon, and I haven't found any AU yet that I like more than ES1. Haven't really looked much though.

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=12&tab=60

edit:

Quincy Smallvoice posted:

You're gonna have to do a lot better than making 1 hour long droning pads with random sound effects and automation and then claim you are using the superior platform based on that.

http://implexgrace.com/music/implex.grace-summertime.sleepy.theater.ii.mp3

Some FL users are honestly sometimes more annoying than born again christians.

i agree

Halo posted:

I don't really take Daft Punk seriously at all, sorry. And anything that can be done in Live, I could probably do just as well in FL. Maybe even in less time, depending. And don't even put PT in the same category as either. Just because it is a "DAW" doesn't mean it's good for everything. You couldn't pay me to try and use PT's MIDI. File based editing only, please.

after listening to your music i think a 4 track tape recorder would do everything you do in FL studio. i dont even think you have used any other DAW before and ill bet your copy of fruityloops is warez. no offense :aslol:

oredun fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 31, 2008

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Blinn posted:

http://cpchicken.free.fr/HouseU.mp3

New track I'm really pleased with but wanna get the Musician's Lounge opinion before I consider it done- have at it! Careful though, it's mad crazy loud.

i like this track alot, definitely feeling the ed banger influence. honestly its probably the best track ive heard from this thread. most is just garbage/people demo'ing their first song but that is some high quality poo poo right there.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007
EDM tune, i would say progressive house, constructive criticisms please.

http://tindeck.com/listen/joma

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

I like the sounds you're using, and the groove is good. You've got details and it's pretty funky. I'm not an expert, but once you've lengthened the arrangement, you might try sending it to a few artists for feedback. Do you have some electro/house DJs in mind?

a friend and i are doing a live electro band so thats what i planned to use this song for, but i guess i could lengthen it up and polish it some more and send it out. if you want it ill send you a higher bitrate version. also, i played every part except the drums so im really glad you liked the groove its something i really work towards.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Prize Winner posted:

Anyone here experienced with the dB Audioware Sidechain Compressor?

I'm trying to use it in Reaper but when I sidechain the kick to the bassline, the kick starts hitting slightly after the beat rather than on it, which completely ruins it.

are you putting the compressor on the kick track or the bass track?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Cosmonauticus posted:

I was wondering if there is a cheap ($300 at the most preferably about $150) and effective way to make my laptop out-put to an amp and not sound like poo poo?

That add for sex with "real" men between the clicking the link and downloading was awesome. Thanks sendspace!

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Native-Instruments-GUITAR-RIG-Session-FULL?sku=703278

• Locked thread