Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Sevyplates posted:

Christ I'm dumb hell, Sorry about it. :doh:
There are two kind of beautiful sounds in here(and when I mean beautiful I mean sleazy, crunchy and that sounds like you put a screaming baby and someone grinding their nails on a chalkboard into a combinator and added flanger)

The main one starts at the 0:03 and there is this bassy sound at 1:04

It sounds kind of string-y

Yeah, Danger's ducking is very very heavy. Almost house like. The best thing to do is figure out sidechaining in your app and use it over one of your existing melodies to see how it affects the sound. Sometimes heavy ducking can ruin a track, but for example Danger often uses long notes so the ducking adds speed to it while its in fact kinda slow without the compression.

I just started using Logic. My god it's so flexible, interface-wise I love it because you can do anything and even switch it super fast to a different layout with one key (good when you have multiple monitors). Managed to start producing stuff that I could call a song even. Though, I seem to make chill-out music quite easily so I'm gonna try to focus on some more up-beat stuff. Now to figure out how this Roland 909 VST works. . . .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Sevyplates posted:

Also, IanTheM... How's logic?
I've been really wanting to get it seeing the only DAWs I'm working with is Reason 4 and Ableton 6 lite(I'm updating this hopefully next month so I can get a good sequencer), and EVERYBODY and their uncle seems to be using logic telling me "it's the industry standard"
Does it have good VST support? what makes it so special?

The magic of Logic is the same reason why Shake was so successful, its a bit complicated to get started but the more you do the more you appreciate it. For example the whole stacks thing in Reason is nice up to a point but, things like sidechaining have to be worked around in circles and it gets needlessly complicated the further into your project you get. Logic can read anything from MIDI to notation and even guitar tabiture, it has tonnes of great features (side chaining is a piece of cake). It doesn't support VSTs, but there's a VST to AU converter I've been using that has transferred everything perfectly. Logic just gets more and more useful the more things you have running in it don't slow you down.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

I'm a Live whore, I'd take Live 7 over anything (even though I'm still using 6). I started using it at 5, loved it, and have never looked back.

Plus you can use it Live even as a demo right? The only thing holding you back is the lack of recording ability, so testing it out for the live performance features is pretty awesome.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
I've been wondering the same thing, how much would a poo poo DJ set that I can use with a computer cost? Is there any point to having one asides from not looking like a horrendous nerd at a show? Is it a good investment if you only plan to be using non-vinyl? The only downside I see at the moment would be the lack of an extra sound card on my computer to listen to the mic.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Well, I'm gonna go out and look at DJ sets and stuff on the weekend, I have between 260-300 (canadian) to blow at the moment. Any recommendations, or things to avoid in my price range? Plus I'd be fine with something to just use in conjunction with a computer.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Peacebone posted:

One more thing is transitions. Whenever I'm making electronic stuff it just seems like I keep building on a part and then I get to a point where it just as a song doesn't really feel that strong. Anyone got any pointers on that?

It's decent, but it seems a but more like it'd make good backing music. Also, try to give a heavier kick drum. The second part is actually good too, though the last break down kind of kills it. One thing I've noticed is: try not to over-do the drums, busy drums can be extremely distracting if they're not meant to be. Keep going though, tonnes of potential.

EDIT: Here's what I've been coming up with lately:

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 10, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squidgee posted:

I got bored tonight and pooped out a rather generic, repetitious tune on my Korg Emx-1 in an hour or two's time. I may flesh it out tomorrow since I think it has some potential. Either way, it's nice to see that after almost year of dicking around with music production in my free time I can do what might have once taken me two days in an hour or two. Plus now I can do it on the fly. Here's a "live" recording (as live as jamming on a groovebox can be, anyways):

I really should be doing homework.

It sounds like one of the notes in your progression is out of key, it just sounds wrong and I'm not sure why.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Kai was taken posted:

I got Live Lite 4 with my MIDI controller, got a free Lite 6 upgrade (Ableton had some special going on), then just upgraded to full for not very much after that.

They bundle Ableton LE with tonnes of keyboards and MIDI controllers these days, it's probably a cheaper route to go in the end if you're serious.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
I'm a luddite. Quote not edit.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

IanTheM posted:

Beginning's pretty bangin'. Pretty good house in general, though I'm not familiar enough with the genre to say if you're being too generic or, not. I'd get the melody started way earlier, since its so cool and the track wares on the first part a bit much without it. Just got to the lyrics. computers saying lewd things doesn't do it for me, but your artistic choice. Just don't be like Uffie. The third element, the bass isn't as powerful as your first melody so it kind of dies away instead of building on the energy of the first melody. Give the initial note more punch maybe so it drowns out less over the drums, unless that's the purpose because I've heard that too from some people that you should choose drums over melody. Again, your choice. Pretty good though, keep it up definitely.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Does anyone know a really light weight app that I can use for making samples before I put them into Logic? It gets annoying having to fire up Logic and do it in a convoluted way when I'm trying to build drum samples out of many songs. OS X by the way, if you didn't catch on after I mention Logic.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

h_double posted:

Audacity?

Cool, I'll check it out thanks.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Terrible Horse posted:

Ive been djing at the hobby level (making my own mixes, playing house parties) on my lovely dell laptop running traktor for a little while, but it stutters and crashes and I want to run ableton, so this summer I'll be upgrading to a 2.1ghz macbook with 4 gigs of ram. I think this will be plenty to run ableton for DJing problems-free, but I'm also into producing. I've fiddled with Ableton for production and its ok but a bit weird, and I've heard it isnt the best for sound quality (just hearsay, I think I read JFK saying it on the MSTRKRFT message board) and I was thinking of using Logic. Can this macbook run both programs cleanly? Not at the same time mind you, just at all. I'm worried I wont have enough hard drive space for both, never mind processor power. A second computer is an option, but I'd rather just use the one macbook. Sorry if this is dumb, I've never used macs and am not sure what they are capable of, and my PC laptops have always run badly when theres too much crap on them

Software doesn't take up much space. It wouldn't matter though since running the program isn't some how ridiculously intensive and if you have a core duo you'll be fine. You probably won't, or at least shouldn't be using Logic and Ableton to perform your songs live without having them be mostly rendered in the first place either. I don't think there's anything you can't do with a Macbook and the right software these days.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

breaks posted:

This is mind-boggling since that is what Ableton was originally made for and Logic can be a pretty good choice too, depending on your requirements.

I know, but what I'm saying is that sometimes you need to pre-render things when you're playing live so that your processor doesn't get over burdened. I was just mentioning that because he was worried about his computer crashing.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squidgee posted:

Ok here's a more theory-based question than is likely necessary for dance tracks, but I've started listening to a lot of electro [house] again and it occurred to me that introducing traditional linear song structure into dance music makes more sense to me than the standard vertical, almost african inspired tradition of minimal and detroit stuff. This strikes me as doubly true when dealing with punk/metal inspired genres like electro. So here's my theory question:

I've been working on a composition (standard strings and piano stuff) for my music technology class, and when I met with the professor today he repeatedly made it a point to say that my chord progressions are just flopping around (I'm using 12 bars blues based stuff). I found this vaguely confusing, and when I asked him about it, he told me to examine pop songs and note how all of their progressions "go somewhere." Now, I've been investigating this, and I'm not seeing what he means. Half of the pop songs I've been looking into just loop the same progression (say, I-IV-V7) throughout the whole song, maybe with a slight variation (say V-IV for the chorus). I want to begin working on an electro piece that incorporates pop structure once I get done with this music final, but I'm fearful of the aforementioned flopping.

So my question is, in the context of pop music, what does "going somewhere" mean? My professor doesn't seem to be giving me an answer I understand here, so I figured you guys may be able to help. Is it putting the entire song into a I-IV-V structure and modulating it based on what portion you're in (say V (Gmaj) for the intro, I (Cmaj) for the verse, IV (Fmaj) for the bridge, and V (Gmaj) for the chorus), or...? I'm not seeing a ton of modulation in pop songs, and I'm certainly not seeing it in punk, so I can't imagine that's it. Going somewhere can't just be returning to the tonic either, because that is my professor's main complaint with my piece (it returns to the I chord too much, apparently preventing melodic progression).

Any help?

Modern electro going somewhere? I think a good, and extreme example of this can be Sebastian's Motor.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=icQGYbbuhr4&feature=related
The progression? Just a disturbing engine-like noise, but the track with the help of the drums and speed that the progression gets cut up grows in intensity. I don't think using 12 bar blues, which is more of a jam method, would work out well in pop. Pop needs to be quick and aggressive, and usually your layering needs to grow. I'm not sure I actually answered everything you mean, since I have a large deficiency in theory but, I think this might be what your professor is talking about. (As in: he meant it more as a 'feel' thing, than a theory one.)

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squidgee posted:

I'm not so much saying that modern electro goes somewhere as it makes sense to me to make it go somewhere.

That having been said, I'm 90% sure he's talking from a theory standpoint, but maybe I'm wrong. Regardless, if I try to inject vertical structure into electro I'm likely going to go with a simplistic punkish chord progression (a more faster take on I-IV-V, or I-bVI-IV ), not the 12 bar blues. Or I may just pump out power chords with a I-IV-V structure. I was just noting that that was what I was using in the composition my professor is talking about. Granted, I'm also now pushing away from electro house and into the realm of the now 20 some odd year old synthpunk, but you get the gist of where I'm going here.

So the question remains: what in God's name does "go somewhere" mean in the context of pop structure?

Well, could you post an example of your progression/song so we can get more perspective on where your professor's coming from?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Like an Accident posted:

Been plugging away silently ever since my last post in Reason and Ableton (havent touched Cubase yet).

It's Choruses I think. I know what you mean though, it takes quite a bit of work before you can create the types of things brewing in your head. On another note: Audacity has some lovely lovely interface implementations, I love how when exporting and naming a samples, while you type it uses those hotkeys instead of just allowing you to type.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Stux posted:

Wait, what exactly do you mean by the spending tens of thousands of dollars thing? Like, sound proofing and treatment or what?

Yeah, its almost excess because most people won't notice those tiny details and you should focus on the song writing.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Stux posted:

Well sound proofing stops or reduces sound coming in and going out of your mixing/recording area which is an obvious plus, and treatment lets you get rid of standing waves, weird reflections etc.

Obviously overboard for most amateur stuff, but its not really fair to say that anyone doing it is an idiot adding extra bullshit to their studio.

Well, it makes sense for a studio. But I think he was writing from an amateur perspective. Obviously what separates a studio from your apartment is the specialization and money going into it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Stux posted:

I assumed studio because he said "I'm of the opinion that people who spend tens of thousands of dollars on all sorts of extra bullshit for their studios are idiots."

Well, I guess its an investment/return type thing. If Madonna and Kanye West are frequenting your studio than I guess you have money to burn to have the best poo poo in the world. If you're on a budget than spending your money on that stuff is a waste no matter what. I'm not sure if I'm defending him anymore, I'm just saying it the way I see it. It's a business after all.

Been working on a new house song, heavily sampling 2 bars of a 9 minute Herbie Hancock song but I'm not sure what direction to go with it:

I haven't started mixing it properly, so it'll probably sound substandard all coming from the same direction, but its a draft.

Here's another more complete song, more to the hardcore electro side of things:

I can probably go easier on the amount of breakdowns, make it shorter and make greater use of the other riffs I had at the end there. Hopefully you guys will like some of it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squidgee posted:

How is this for a quick stab at putting together the basis an electro house track? I've got it past the intro up to where it kicks in so far, but only with a mid-range bass and drums at the moment.

Before it kicks in it's kinda lame, but the progression with the sidechaining's good. (that IS sidechaining right?) The only problem is it feels like its been done before, and it'd get annoying to listen to if you don't add something on to it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
blingasaurus rex,
that track is pretty awesome. The only thing that really bothers me is the kind of melody that's constantly playing under it, the bass synth progression or w.e. It sounds out of key or, just somehow wrong and out of place with the really cool poinging and chopped up stuff over top of it. I would recommend removing, or at least changing the synth lead in the second part because it sounds really immature compared to the rest of the song, along with sounding exactly like a pre-set everyone's heard before in Reason (I'm pretty sure that's where I've heard it).

On another note: Anyone know of a good free/cheap violin VST/AU? I want to experiment with some Chic-esque sounds, but sampling violins doesn't always give me the range I want to use.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
I've been wondering, while listening to SebastiAn's track Momy, when they/he mixed this down did he create two tracks for one sound and have one of them be the peak while the other act as its midrange, or does this normally happen when you're mixing and choosing which side of the speaker to come from? For the track, if you listen to the guitar to the begging its midrange comes from the right and only a peak of it comes from the left is what I mean.

More importantly, anyone have some good mix-down tips/good guides?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Altoidss posted:

I've been gone for a while - school and DJing is taking up most of my time. But I've been listening to Oi Oi Oi by Boys Noize a lot lately and I've been wondering something - how does he make these sounds?

I can understand how to program a sound like that, something like a sawtooth/square wave, open up the filter, compress it, distort it, right? However, how do you sequence something like that? Take the song Lava Lava - I think, given enough time, I could program that sound. But I have absolutely no idea how he sequenced it. It sounds to me like not only is he manipulating the pitch - making falls and stuff like that, but also the attack and release envelopes on a level I can't even begin to understand. Does he just micromanage it a lot, or is there some easier way I don't see?

I just don't really get how everyone from that genre, Justice, Boys Noize, all the Ed Banger guys, work.

I'm pretty sure he's playing with the glide option, I'm not sure if most synths have the option but I'm pretty sure that's how he's going about this.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Jzf_K posted:

As long as others are posting files in this thread for feedback, thought I'd give it a go as well:

http://idisk.mac.com/jkrivoshein/Public/PD2.mp3

Besides being quiet, it seems like a pretty set loop that I can't get to evolve anywhere. Anyone have suggestions for building a track from it, or other suggestions for making is sound louder/better/etc?

For making things louder you need to mess with compressors and their peak limiting options to get your sound in the sweet spot, but be careful because you can easily make it too flat and add unwanted distortion.

For that track, you might want to take your time and have it build up more into each element, minimalist style since you don't seem to have quick 4/4 bits for all your sections. Either than that I'd say leave it for a few days, try something else then comeback and you'll have fresh outlook.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

super_polack posted:

What's a decent/free side chain compressor, other than SSS Side Chain Compressor (possibly one built into Ableton)?

SSS keeps crashing Ableton 7 for some reason, esp. during the VST scanning phase, but sometimes the scanning works until I try to use the VST. It loads the GUI of the device, but only detects the SideChCompMn.dll, not the SideChCompSt.dll - the difference between them is unknown to me. Then it won't let me actually chain another track (the option is greyed out), or crashes randomly anyway.

That means Mono and Stereo, but it sounds like yours is just wonky. Maybe try using the normal side chaining option in Ableton? I'm not sure how to do it yet, but I've seen tutorials. Just youtube it.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squidgee posted:

I just sat down and forced myself to finish working out the basic sketch of my first attempt at electro house. It wound up being very rock-meets-dance I guess, given that it's pretty simple pop structure.

Thoughts? Keep in mind this is rough as hell -- I'm probably going to go through and redo the drums so that they better maintain interest (I've got some loops in the choruses right now that I want to replace, and I want to add some fills and flourishes to the drums), add in more glitches like the ones in the intro, add in automation, and maybe add some chopped up funky vocals or something for the listener to latch onto. The transitions need work too. I mostly just wanted to stop dawdling and get the basic song down before I started messing with all of that poo poo.

Quite reminiscent of SebastiAn in the breaks at the beginning, but they feel too long at the break down in the middle. Pretty cool though. The clap could be harder, but its definitely catchy stuff.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

ThrillKiller posted:

forgive me if this was already asked, but how does one go about making that talking guitar type sound that you're using in the second track? I love that and I've always wondered how it's done...

It's a wahwah pedal/filter, kind of like what Hendrix used at the beginning of Voodoo Child (Slight Return). Just look for a wahwah VST, I personally used the one that came with Logic, but I'm sure they're out there.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

squidgee posted:

I present to you YAEHWIP: Yet Another Electro House Work In Progress.

Feedback etc would be super appreciated, since this is just a rough draft.

Its pretty good over-all, in terms of goals of being an electro track, but the drums I feel need way more power. The current drums remind me a lot of those presets you have on a Roland 808. Or at least the highhats feel really weak. Are you planning on keeping it that minimalist?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Rkelly posted:

So I want to cut vocals live in ableton like Telefon Tele Aviv. Check out the youtube if need to know what I am talking about. Basically I want to move warp points at 0.0.1 increments with knobs. I can bind it to my controller, but the points move at crazy intervals. I can't control the ratio applied to the knobs.

Anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2McDeSKiOU

Moldover has an awesome live setup that allows him to do all kinds of things like that, and this video shows how he incorporates other software to expand live's capabilities. I haven't checked out Tele Aviv yet, but this may be what you're after.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Just finished a remix I've been working on for a while:

I was addicted to that Crookers remix of Protect and Entertain so I tried to create that tone, anyways its weird and has moroccas. Feedback?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Sevyplates posted:

Man, I hate to be this guy... But does anyone have a clue on how to get this slingy bass wave sound?

http://www.circlebar.org/hipster15/Nightdrive%20With%20You%20%28GRUM%27s%20New%20Wave%20Remix%29.mp3
It starts at 0:02

I was thinking I could recreate it in Native's Massive or Reason's Thor but every time I think i'm getting closer it end up being completely off :(

Either you have to play with the envelope filters, or there's an option for how the note de-tunes itself over the its course. It's a very common pre-set in many programs I'm pretty sure. Though I'm sure you probably know most of what I've said. :/

I'd also like to take this, how the opportunity to ask how the hell Justice managed to create that epic whooshing noise in Genesis that comes in at 1:12, and is the basis for the entire Chewey Chocolate Cookies remix?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Yeah that's some really good sampling.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

seiken posted:

I stumbled across this thread just after pretty much finishing my latest track, it's a cool breakbeat/housey type thing. Opinions welcome.

gorilla warfare

Though I'm not much into the style, I can comment on the arrangement. The drums kick in way way too late in the song, so getting into a groove is a bit hard for a while. Make them come in earlier, remember that in house the beat is very, very important. Also, perhaps you can make the track have a little less reverb, because it seems a bit too full and drowns out the initial attack of the transitions and notes. Pretty well rounded track though.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

moron posted:

This is something I've been doing over the last couple of days. It's a trance track...I was kinda aiming for something that sounds like Anjunabeats, but IMO it kinda drifted away from that and ended being more riff driven.

http://www.demoralised.org/trance_thingy.mp3

That's really well produced in my opinion, I don't listen to much trance though. Personally, I think its pretty much fine as is, and ready to be mixed into the next track after the drop.

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Sock It posted:

Right now I'm mixing on Audacity, which is a pain (to say the very least). It's hard for me to beat match, there's no BPM analyzer, I can't set markers easily, and I have to guess and estimate for a lot of manipulation. It's not that Audacity is a bad program, but I'm beginning to get the feeling that's it's entirely the wrong one.

I've tried a handful of other programs, but they're all to expensive and intimidating (ableton, traktor, and a few others). Reaper seems easy enough, but maybe too easy. I'd like to do some beat matching myself, but Reaper automates the entire process. The only caveat to all of this is that I want to stay below 70 dollars.

Can anyone recommned a software suite that might help me learn DJing better?

Does Virtual DJ cost like 30 bucks at most?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
Anyone have tips on how to make that wooden throbbing noise that Crookers make in their To Protect and Entertain remix? I've gotten close with Massive (Additive V Bend/-), but I've been wondering if anyone knows better. It's the synth at the drop if you're wondering.

IanTheM fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Jun 26, 2008

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Mr. Pharmacist posted:

This thread seems to be more for computer stuff but what's a good drum machine? I was looking to avoid going over ~$300 but if it's worth it I can and from what I can tell most of the good ones are.

Are you looking for a 'classic' drum machine? Or just to have a modern one?

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

I've been working on this House song lately, and I was wondering if you guys have anything to say about song structure in general. Is there a certain bar count for breakdowns and what not that I should follow to make mixing easier?

I'm also showing the Linn drum some love in this track, love how the snare sounds like a soft smash, and not too much like an actual snare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007

Altoidss posted:

Alright, I haven't posted here in a while, but I have been working and this is the first song I've come up with that I'm not humiliated to post here:

It's still definitely a work in progress. I need to come up with a good break and build so it goes somewhere, right now it's too static. But this is what I have so far. Tell me what you think!

Pretty well produced I think, though the beat is pretty generic I think and could use more detail. I'd say it needs more elements perhaps. and at least some variation in your loops to make it more interesting. You've got something you can improve upon though, so that's good just needs more character,

• Locked thread