Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AveMachina
Aug 30, 2008

God knows what COVIDs you people have

Just found this thread, and wanted to thank the early pages for clarifying how to use VSTs and mixing--I didn't know how to use any of that poo poo, and now I'm actually exploring the Analog Lab thing that came with my Arturia controller and various drumkits.

I've played at various points in my life, guitar, bass, banjo, violin, ukulele, mandolin, and never really played with a band or as a solo artist anything. I finally got around to building a little pocket studio in my bedroom--a cracked out Mac Pro, Tascam audio interface (part of a TrackPack thing that came with a cardioid mic, interface, and some headphones), Arturia MiniLab, and MuLab as my DAW. It's really cool to finally get a chance to compose with precision and play with instruments I don't physically own, especially keyboard type instruments.

Again I barely grasp theory and my actual musical competence is dicey, but something helpful is I have a Tascam DR-05 recorder that if I think of a cool "riff" or tune, I record myself dah-dah-dah or la-la-laing it, and run it through software like AnthemScore to get the notes. That's probably not ideal, but I like it as a kind of audio notebook.

I wanted to kinda chime in and say that as someone who's not a natural musician, this setup works for me, even though it's pretty piecemeal and low-rent. The most expensive part was the MiniLab, actually--worth it, since I can use Analog Lab as a VST and there are some magical sounds in there.

With all the new stuff I learned, I've got a goal to put out at least four tracks by the end of the year and get a Soundcloud set up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread