Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I'm a complete newbie to electronic music production, and I'm having a lot of fun messing around with the trials for Ableton and Serum. It's easy for me to see that, if I need a synthy lead or bassline sound, Serum is perfect for that. But when you have more than a dozen tracks going, is it common for people to just use a synth like Serum for every single one of those? Is it common to use Serum to make all your drum sounds too, or do people typically use samples for drums (or are there synths that are more amenable to making drum sounds?)?

I guess what I'm saying is: it feels like I can do everything with Serum. Is it common to work this way, or are there other instruments/tools that I should try to learn to be more productive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

It makes perfect sense that different interfaces influence your output. I guess the main thing is that I don't know what I'm actually missing out on with my current flow. I'm so new to this that, if I find something difficult or non-intuitive, I don't know whether it's because I'm just inexperienced or that I'm using the wrong tool for the job. How do y'all learn about new tools?

Also I will check out drumatic, thanks! Is it easy to explain what makes it good for drum sounds specifically, or do I just need to use it to understand?

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks a lot for the insight everyone! And I really appreciate the write-up on drumatic; I have a better idea now of what makes a tool right for the job. I'm gonna play with both sampling and drum synthesis and see how they feel.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

well why not posted:

Also, If you really wanted to get started, you could download REAPER right now for free and get started. You can switch to other DAW software down the track if you don't like that.

I'll echo this. I'm still pretty new, but I've had a lot of fun with just Reaper and its built-in software keyboard and the Serum softsynth. I'll admit that reaper is not as immediately intuitive as Ableton Live, but if you stick with it and just Google any questions you have, you get the hang of it pretty quickly and it's very powerful for a very low price.

Alternatively, Ableton Live also has a free 30-day trial. 30 days is probably plenty of time for anyone to decide whether they like music production, and it's nice to get a feel for it without spending a penny.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

What's the book???

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I was messing around with Ableton Live Lite and found that I really like Ableton's Drum Racks - I like the easy drag-and-drop of samples to pads, adjusting each sample's settings with the macro knobs, and all the preset drum sets it comes with. Are there any VST's y'all recommend that have similar functionality? I ask because I use Reaper for most of my work, and I'd love to have something easy and batteries-included when I need to work on drums.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks for the recs! Battery and Geist both look to be exactly what I’m looking for. At that price tag though I guess I could also decide whether it’s worth just ponying up for an Ableton license as well. I got some stuff to think about!

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Yeah it’s my copy - that’s really interesting, I hadn’t thought of Rewire as an option! I can look into that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm trying to get my APC Mini to control Ableton Live Lite 9's drum rack and I'm getting nowhere. I get that it's supposed to be for launching clips, but it's my one pad and I want to try putting together some drum clips.
I think I need to know:
1. How to address the drum pads (the play buttons don't show up blue when I enter MIDI mapping mode)
2. How to unmap the clip launch keys

Edit: Alternately how do I make the clip grid instantly reactive? Disable launch quantization.

Edit 2: This doesn't quite get me where I wanted since some of the claps I wanted to use are .adg and won't drop into an audio track.

It might be possible to do what you want using Control Surface Scripts - these let you change how ableton interprets the signals coming from the controller. If the API mini is sending some kind of CC values when you press the buttons, I think you should be able to remap them. Feel free to PM me for help, I did this with my akai mpk mini (which is admittedly different)

• Locked thread