Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm trying to get my APC Mini to control Ableton Live Lite 9's drum rack and I'm getting nowhere. I get that it's supposed to be for launching clips, but it's my one pad and I want to try putting together some drum clips.
I think I need to know:
1. How to address the drum pads (the play buttons don't show up blue when I enter MIDI mapping mode)
2. How to unmap the clip launch keys

Edit: Alternately how do I make the clip grid instantly reactive? Disable launch quantization.

Edit 2: This doesn't quite get me where I wanted since some of the claps I wanted to use are .adg and won't drop into an audio track.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

just buy a mpd218

I found a used MPD32 on Craigslist, is that thing better or just more complex? I'm mostly interested in live video performance and was just dabbling in Live because I had the free Lite code.

Edit: Do the three control banks on the MPD32 allow me to control different programs? Like point one at Resolume, one at Live and one with both? (I am not shelling out for Live Suite to get Max any time soon.)

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 18, 2018

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How do I pass the MIDI from my MPD218 in Live to Resolume? I set up loopMIDI like I had it before and I'm not getting anything except clock if I turn that on.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

TVsVeryOwn posted:

How do I pass the MIDI from my MPD218 in Live to Resolume? I set up loopMIDI like I had it before and I'm not getting anything except clock if I turn that on.

I ended up using CopperLan, it's kinda cool for stuff I can't connect with OSC I guess.

I'm wondering if there's a way to post-process MIDI velocity. I want to instead of sending note off when I release my drum pad for it to send the velocity falling off for an arbitrary amount of time. Do I have to finally learn Bome?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

The release stage of an envelope is already post-note off fade out speed. Your sound generator may already offer you the option to set it to an arbitrary value. Or offer you to modulate the length randomly or in relation to note on or off velocity.

Velocity isn't a continuous controller either way. There are volume or expression controllers for that in the midi domain, but they are channel wide, not note specific. Also, removing note off events is not a great idea.

Using the sound generator's internal options (or using another sound generator that offers them) is going to be the most painless method imo. Some sort of midi translator might work if it allows you to set release length through midi, I guess, but I don't know why you'd prefer that.

I'm going to be honest and say I don't understand most of that first bit.
Using the generator's parameters is right out since I can't find an OSC patch for the Ableton drum rack. So I'm splitting the MIDI up with CopperLAN for the drum controller and I've this wild hare in my rear end about velocity in my visuals now.

Edit: Got it, as in the attack decay sustain release.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Turns out the answer was Bome, but I didn't have to learn poo poo. I just posted on their forums.

• Locked thread