Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Altoidss posted:

Something still confuses me about layering sounds. I get the theory of it, but can someone do a quick run through of how to layer samples in Reason?

I typically use a 3 layered kick drum in my songs I create in reason. One layer for the sharp attack, one layer for the 'crunch', and one layer with a long decay, low attack, deep sub-bass sond (usually an 808 kick). I will take the CV out from channel 1 of Re:Drum #1 (or whatever I'm using to program the kick pattern in the song...but it's usually re:drum#1) and run it into a Spider CV splitter/merger and split that signal into 3, and then run each of those three cv signals into a second Re:Drum that contains the 3 kick layer samples. Another way you can do it is making a multi-sample patch using either of the samplers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Altoidss posted:

What do you mean by taking the CV out of channel one in Redrum? I'm looking at the back of the machine and the only things I see are audio outputs, gate out/in, and pitch CV in, plus one rotary control... I don't know what that does. Do you mean Gate out, maybe?

yeah I mean't Gate out. oops.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

ShaunEMO posted:

Also, any opinions on this:

Behringer BCF2000 B-Control Fader
and this
M-Audio Axiom 25 25-Key USB MIDI Controller

Any other advice and reccomendations? :) Thanks! Hopefully I can finish off reading this giant mass of information soon :p

Another one you might want to look at that I don't see brought up often is the Edirol PCR-300

It's a 49 key controller with 8 sliders, 8 knobs, and a 16 button pad. I've got one and I like it a lot.

http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.aspx?objectid=863

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

a detroity techno track I'm working on. This is a little 16 bar loop to test levels and sounds. I probably won't be adding much in terms of elements, but rather making a progression of these sounds and adding a fill here or there and a breakdown. I'm looking for feedback mostly on the mastering / mixing / sound choices here.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Ok I arranged it a little bit and feeling kind of silly, added a very rudimentary key part in the middle. I fully abused the 'turn the bpm down way low while recording' trick. I don't know if I want to keep this in the final track or just slice parts of it and make it a little more cut-up / disjointed sounding. It's probably too conventionally melodic / epic sounding for my taste and what I'm aiming for right now.

on my todo list right now:
a) fix the kick/bass eq like wayfinder said. I have kind of a placeholder kick in there right now so I'll probably spend some time making a nice layered one.

b) add some more variation in the drum programming, mix the drums differently. On my headphones it sounds o.k. but again, I think wayfinder is right. When I mix in these cans hi-hats / shakers come out way to hot sounding (I also really really like shakers in songs a whole lot so that is a big part of it). I'll probably lower the volume of the shaker, put in a few 'jazzy' sections where the closed hat plays around a little bit, add a subtle ride cymbal

c) either lose completely or change the hand drum percussion sounds. I think just finding better samples would do it. I think they're too 'clean' sounding right now. I'll probably try to sample something off a record and find some drums with a much softer attack. Maybe I'll just replace the whole thing (which I programmed on the drum machine) with a sampled loop. I want it to sound kind of like old Samuel L Session style drums but I think the key to that is using full loops.

d) make it longer, add more fx and volume automation on the transitions between sections. right now it's just pattern changes and track mutes.

anyway, thanks for listening and the nice feedback

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

cLin posted:

^ That's what I was thinking but I didn't know if that was possible. So it's the same track and they just loop the beginning til they want to start the song?

When I mix hip-hop (for example) in Serato, I usually use a loop taken from the end of the song (since there's usually more clean time there) when I mix it in and then transition over to the beginning of the new song on the second deck.

so it's like:

1) Song A playing on deck 1
2) mix in loop (that I might have pre-marked...serato stores loop information in the MP3s) from end of song B on deck 2
3) once Song A is totally mixed out and only the loop from Song B is playing, load Song B on deck 1 and mix the beginning into the loop of Song B
4) profit.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
can anybody recommend me a nice online source for good 'tribal' hand drum, bongo, conga, etc samples? Or a good sample collection with those kinds of instruments?

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I have a RM1X that I bought when they just came out and I really like it as a sequencer. The sound library on it, however, is pretty lacking, and probably pretty dated sounding by now. Get it to run other equipment, and for a little fill-in sounds and you'll be real happy with it.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Mannex posted:

I'm trying to decide whether I'll need sliders on my controller or not. What can they do that knobs can't? The only thing I can think of is cutting out three or more sliders at the same time, and then slamming them back up. Or that DJ thing where you cut between two simultaneous tracks.

It's easier to look at a slider and instantly know what value that the parameter it controls is set to. Also, like you said, it's easier to move them in a gang than it is with knobs.

Re: 303/808/909 emulations: One thing that is kind of nice about those things is that it kind of gives you a creative shortcut towards what kind of music you're working on. It kind of allows you to skip over the 'what kind of music should I make' question (because, duh, if you got a 909 and a 303 you're going to make acid house/techno) and get to the actual music making part. Having closed off parameters can be kind of liberating in ways that having a blank slate isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

RizieN posted:

I've got that, but only really used it on vacation, long flights and train rides and things. really fun though, wonder how long til we see live performances with iPhones...

actually, come to think of it, a guy I met in a bar makes music with his Nintendo DS, i have no idea what it controls/does, but I went one of his shows and he had like 2 midi keyboards, a mac, and his DS, and it looked like he was taking a break from the beats to play some nintendo, haha

There is a Korg DS-10 soft synth. Pretty cool little synth

http://korgds10synthesizer.com/

• Locked thread