Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Cyne posted:

Ah, the filter module in Reason is called the ECF-42 Envelope Controlled Filter.
The ECF-42 doesn't have a high-pass filter (for some loving reason). However it can be done with a bit of jiggery-pokery...

Thor has an awesome set of filters which can be used to process any audio input you want. Route your instrument through Thor and wrap them in a combinator like so -

Click here for the full 746x527 image.

Click here for the full 740x535 image.

Now apply the following settings to your Thor patch -

Click here for the full 730x569 image.

EDIT AFGHAFGH HOLY COLONP

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 7, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

wayfinder posted:

There's no other way to apply a high pass filter in Reason? Seriously? :lol:
Oh man don't get me started. I love Reason to bits but some of the design flaws are really perplexing.

Stux posted:

Is there no EQ in reason or something?
There's two (see colonp's post). Neither of them have any pass filters :bravo:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Yoozer posted:

I'm really wondering about the additions they're gonna make in Reason 5.

Really.
My Reason 5 wish-list:
- Spectrum analysis tools
- Time-stretching integration oh god please
- The ability to create audio tracks on the sequencer
- The ability to record audio
- Get rid of clips and let me draw freely in the sequencer like in 2.5 you bastards
- And while I'm in magical wish-land, some kind of integrated Reaktor-style modular device-building system

A man can dream, can't he? :(

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

squidgee posted:

I just really hope they give us an LFO module. Live needs to do that too.
You can use the LFOs built into the Reason synths to control other devices.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

There's a lot of EQs that allow you to do that. You were probably thinking of Firium, now known as FIREQ (linked above). CurveEQ is another alternative.

edit: Just remembered I once used a plugin named Freeq Boy that did this also.

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 2, 2009

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

colonp posted:

Are there any free and nice VST formant filters?
Aeiou: http://azertopia.free.fr/depreciated/Aeiou.zip
It's simple but it does the job.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Slightly off-topic...

I make entirely electronic music, but I'm working on something at the moment that is itching for a live performed drum track. Since it doesn't need to be professional quality, would it be worth starting a thread here in ML where any drummer goons can record their own drum track, with a small prize for the one I like the best?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

h_double posted:

I've been playing around with the GrooveMonkee drum tracks, which are MIDI drum tracks played by live drummers. I'm using them with Battery, but they also come with presets for EZDrummer, BFD, etc. There's a pretty generous free sample pack on their website.
Thanks, this is very cool!

cubicle gangster posted:

It's been done before and worked out ok.

Also, have you heard of addictive drums?
http://www.xlnaudio.com/
It's quite in depth and can sound incredible with due care. If it was programmed well you'd have a hard time telling the difference.
235 euros no thanks :sweatdrop:

My problem is I have difficulty getting things to sound "realistic" when I need to because it's usually not important in the style of music I like to make. I also don't know anything about live drumming so I'd get likely get much better results from a real drummer than I would from programming it myself.

Here's the track I'm working on with some drums I whipped up with the GrooveMonkee midi tracks and one of the Reason factory drum kits. I'm trying to get it to sound something like The Go Team I suppose.

The drums come in at 1:16 and 2:41. Thoughts?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

That is really awesome :monocle:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Here's a little something I've been working on. I don't usually make dancy type stuff but I'm getting better at it I think -

also

trill rear end posted:

here is the final version for all yall that missed it

This is awesome, where can I get more of your stuff?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Computer Jones posted:

I checked this out the other day and really liked the sounds, but I thought the interface looked a bit difficult, like I'd have to lower my screen resolution to see what I was doing with it.
There's a larger skin included with it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

chippy posted:

Greetings electro-goons. Can anyone point me in the direction of a free (or cheap) VST that does the whole dubby tape echo thing (where the loop kinda "degrades" and distorts as it repeats)? Or, is there some way of chaining together other effects to recreate this sort of sound (I'm using Cubase Studio 5).
There are lots. Search kvraudio for free delay plugins and ctrl-f the results for "tape".

I really like WatKat, although it's a little gimmicky:

quote:

WatKat is a digital “clone” of a Wem Watkins “Custom” Copicat. It sounds very lo-fi, noisy, irregular. When you turn it off and leave the tape loaded, the tape bends in proximity of the capstan, and this turns into a periodic pitch fall during echo playback; plus, it gets hot and the background hum gets worse in time... you should turn it off every now and then; the tape is never completely erased, and the capstan motor flutters... and it gets worse if you touch it while it's spinning; heads tend to get dirty very soon, infact you should clean them often.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I would check that the Oxygen8 is compatible with Windows 7 because I know that M-Audio don't provide any 64-bit drivers for it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Anybody else having trouble registering on the NI site?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Woop now I don't have any money :woop:

Rkelly posted:

I noticed 2 or three threads about this today. what a bitch. check Gear slutz for info.
I managed to get it working by using Internet Explorer instead.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

-8191 to 8191 is the standard range for midi pitch wheels, so to get an exact pitch the formula is (8191 / pitch bend range * pitch difference)

So for example if the pitch bend range of the instrument is 7 and you want to transpose up by 2, you do (8191 / 7 * 2) = 2340

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

How is Cubase 5? I just discovered I can get it discounted as a student. I've been using FL Studio and Reason for years and Cubase is the only other DAW I've really liked the look of. I can't seem to find a demo though.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

chippy posted:

edit: That said, I find real-time knob twiddling and stuff to be a bit of a mission to do with a mouse, and I intend to get hold of a MIDI controller/keyboard for this very soon. I find entering things in via the piano roll to be a horrible tedious affair, especially as I can play the piano. I should imagine this applies to most of the other DAWs to some extent, but maybe some of the others have a UI layout that works better for this, bigger buttons or something.
Interesting. I do a lot of manual MIDI editing so perhaps I should steer clear of Cubase. One of the things I like about Reason/FL Studio is how easy MIDI editing is. I barely do any live MIDI recording.

Sagacity posted:

Have you also looked at Reaper?
I'm playing around with it now and it seems like it's geared towards working with audio tracks. Is this accurate? Again the piano roll seems really awkward to work with but maybe that's just because I'm not used to it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Why the hell isn't there a demo :psyduck:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

OK thanks guys. I'll see if I can find a copy to try out and if first impressions are good I'll go for it. If I can overcome my undying hatred for Germans.

No. 9 posted:

Hey, let me know how you're getting it. I've had my finger on the C5 trigger lately getting it as a student, but I need to figure out what they need to verify my student status...

I love Cubase :)
There are a number of stores in the UK offering the academic discount. The cheapest I've found is Studica: http://www.studica.com/products/product_detail.cfm?productid=58892&p_name=Steinberg-Cubase-5 (they have a US site too)

You can normally just e-mail them a scan of your student id card or whatever.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

No. 9 posted:

Ugh, the only thing I really want is that VariAudio thing with vocals. The other stuff I don't care about. I wish they could have included that with studio...
If that's all you want Melodyne Uno is much cheaper.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Well I think both together would be more. Melodyne Uno alone is around $100 cheaper than Cubase 5 with the student discount. I was assuming you already had a DAW :)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Scattered Brain posted:

Does anyone know of a plugin effect that creates like, the sound of really bad digital compression? Not like downsampling or a bitcrusher or whatever, I'm talking about all those artifacts and poo poo that you hear in a really low bitrate mp3, or a low quality cell phone video. Maybe nothing like this exists, but I'm just wondering, I think it would be a pretty cool effect.
mda Degrade would work I think.

edit: never mind i was confusing mda degrade with another plugin. I'm trying to find it now...

You could always just export your audio and compress it yourself!

Dicky B fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 29, 2009

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Computer Jones posted:

Even though this is really short, it feels too finished to go in the sketches thread (although I'll probably go back and add a bassline)

Peculiar

Maybe I overdid the glitchiness :downs:
Samples are Simon & Garfunkel - A Most Peculiar Man amd The Honeydrippers - Impeach the President.
I love this tune but Glitch ruins it. And by that I don't mean the glitchiness, I mean the VST effect you used. I wish that horrible VST would go die in a hole.

Ditch Glitch! :downs:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Computer Jones posted:

Haha. I know- I don't generally use Glitch, this was just a bit of fun really. Maybe I'll post a version sans Glitch- maybe just some plain resequencing would sound better?
Well I love glitchiness and I think in your song it really fits. It's just that the sounds that vst makes are pretty terrible in general, especially when you compare it to actual IDM/glitch stuff where the rhythms and effects are often very precise and interesting. If you're interested in spending some time manually creating some proper glitchiness then you should go for it because I think you have a good ear for rhythm and composition.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

ZeldaLeft - this is what you're after:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Here's something dumb I've been working on. I'm not really sure where to go next so maybe I'll just cut it short.

I wish I had more time to work on stuff :sigh:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

There aren't any time limits in FL Studio so I don't know what you mean. What actually happens when you try to make something longer than 45 seconds?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Try pressing L to switch to song mode? Just saying "it does not work" doesn't really explain what the problem is buddy :)

If you literally don't understand how the playlist works at all then you should probably just start by reading the manual.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

prom candy posted:

I know it's been two months but poo poo, this is cool.
I know it's been almost another two months, but thanks!!

I worked on the track a little more after posting it here. Here's the finished (for now) product: http://www.pleasesendhelp.com/music/Colugo/Unreleased/Colugo%20-%20Sorry%20to%20hear%20about%20your%20baby.mp3

Something new:

I made this in less than two hours while sitting in my underwear eating cereal. Weekends are a drat blessing these days.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

E1M5 posted:

I'm having a hard time getting my synths to sound "soft". Most of the saws I use/make end up sounding really harsh, and I want something smoother. How could I go about accomplishing this? I'm using FL Studio (the Sytrus VST mostly). Also, I notice in other DAW's, such as Logic, most of the VST's which come prepackaged all sound less crude than FL Studios... any reason for this, or am I just hearing things?
Yeah, FL Studio's synths aren't very good. Sorry if that comes off as sounding quite fanboyish. I think FL Studio is a pretty great piece of software but I've never got on at all with the built in synths. Even generating a simple sine wave tone on its own with the 3osc synth seems to result in an audible distortion.

Computer Jones posted:

Pretty dope as always :)
Hey thanks :)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Yeah I can't even recreate the sine wave thing to demonstrate now so I guess I'm talking out of my rear end. I certainly remember getting frustrated because there was slightly audible white noise as if it was sampling at a lower bit rate than the rest of the DAW. Perhaps they fixed that in version 8, I dunno. This is the first time I've tried it since I upgraded.

Sytrus is fine. It's FL Studio's best synth. The others are all pretty bad (but what do I know)

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

That depends on how you're going to want to use it. If you're just going to be figuring out chords and ideas that you will later program in a midi editor then 25 keys will be fine. If you're going to want to record and play entire pieces then you will find the limit very restrictive.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

SpecialAgentCooper posted:

Soooo there's a new version of Reason coming out. I still haven't bothered with Record but new modules are always exciting. New poo poo:

-Some weird Dr. Rex expansion
-Pitch corrector/voice synthesizer (Autotune?)
-Song structure "blocks" added to the sequencer
-An awesome Akai-style drum machine pad thing

Oh and live sampling...

Can't tell the difference between the Reason and Record versions but I'm excited to say the least.

http://www.propellerheads.se/reason5/
Well the new stuff is common between both Reason 5 and Record 1.5
It looks totally exciting and the best part is that upgrading is free. The live sampling stuff is kind of what I was expecting Record to be. I can't wait to try it out.

I may start a Propellerhead megathread unless somebody beats me to it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

You mean like this?

Click here for the full 691x781 image.

I use this technique pretty often. I suppose there's a chance of some phase cancellation when mixing down to mono if you're working with steady waveforms. If the end product is going to be mono then why bother with widening at all, out of interest?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

wayfinder posted:

I bought z3ta+ today for 19,99 how about you guys?

https://www.cakewalk.com
I recently treated myself to Tassman 4 for $99 :cool:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I'm close to shelling out on an Ohm64. From what I've seen and read it looks excellent, but does anybody want to give me a yay or nay before I click the order button?

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I went ahead and bought the Ohm64 by the way. This thing is great! Really well made and fun to play with.

I've recently switched from using Reason to Renoise as my main DAW. I wish I'd got into using trackers sooner because it really fits my method of working much better than sequencers.

I'm astonished how easy it was to pick up. Here's my first work in progress tune in Renoise after a couple days of using it.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

SampleSwap is great http://www.sampleswap.org/filebrowser-new.php?d=DRUMS+and+SINGLE+HITS/

The site design is kinda iffy though so use DownThemAll or something similar to make the download process less of a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Reason is extremely versatile and if you're looking for a self-contained package then it's a good choice. You can't do proper granular/spectral processing but that's about the only thing that's missing.

If you have room for your big keyboard then I don't see any reason not to use it. You may want to get a controller with some knobs, buttons and sliders but that's up to you to decide if you need it.

• Locked thread