Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The driving force of my music has increased tenfold when I started to use actual definable structure in my guitar-based songs; even the simple chorus-verse-chorus-verse-chorus-chorus format.

I'm not sure how this would translate to EDM; specifically House . The closest kind of broad overview I saw was a guy saying 'eh, your intro should roughly be 32-bars, a drop of some sort every 8 bars and something 'important' every 16 bars.' I don't know the veracity of that, but I haven't got the foggiest idea where to start in storyboarding a whole song.

I'm really looking at the style of Swedish House Mafia type epic-house/trance as inspiration, if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I want to get out of the rut I've got in with recording my guitar and bass by delving back into electronica. I whipped up this demo track a while ago just to get to grips with FruityLoops, but I'm looking to get more serious now:
https://soundcloud.com/williamayerst/calling-paradise-11

I would really enjoy taking advantage of the knowledge and taste I bring from there, rather than just going along with 'House tutorial' or 'Techno Tutorial' . Frustratingly however, I can't seem to find the most fundamental information: for example, what different drum patterns sound like and are appropriate for; or the correct layering of sound (i.e. sub-bass, bass, chords, melody, etc. ) - this informaiton is out there, but it's wedged into specific snippets of 20 minute long tutorials about how to recreate exact sounds.

I'm pretty comfortable with my music theory and songwriting, and the mechanics of the application will become second nature soon enough- but there is no bridge between them. Any help would be much appreciated.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Aw you guys! It helped a lot and bridging out with rock song structure into electronic sounds worked well.

Thanks!

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I'm really fluent in music theory, but coming from a guitar background makes playing synth and piano melodies difficult, and I'm finding it really hard for my lead lines not to sound very robotic and childish - is there a resource that can help me? That 'best dissected' article page was great to get a feel about more interesting drum patterns without being a straight up tutorial.

Cheers,

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Cross-posting from the synth thread - I'm angry at the difficulties of workstations as opposed to discrete drum/key/synth units.

Is it possible to use FL Studio to power a JX-03 Roland Boutique + TR-505 drum machine + TB-03 Bass Synth (or Minitaur or whatever) to record songs to mp3/etc. without it being a major pain? I assume I'll need a USB->Midi interface with a few ports and for all of the things to actually physically connect - but how would sound get back into the DAW? Buying a mixer and routing all the cables back into an audio interface sounds horrible.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 8, 2017

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you both - as per the synth thread I think it might be better to consider these as separate concerns: I didn't factor in the complexity of connecting them all together and making music outside the realm of a DAW and as such may make the requirement for hardware moot. To put the question back on its head, I've got a Windows 10 workstation at the moment, a decent enough audio interface and a big midi-USB piano.

TheQuietWilds posted:

spending hundreds on VSTs and sample packs (which you should really not do)

In the past I've gone full pirate and got FL Studio 12 and various expensive Korg, Roland paid-VSTs and sample libraries. Let's take it for granted that I'm going to go full legit. It would appear this hybrid song/live jam method makes Ableton a key choice. I've got the demo and I'm running through it now - I know how synthesis works and I don't need flashy software as per above. Is there anything I _DO_ need to go forward for the synthwave/darksynth route I'm interested in at the moment?

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

And that is exactly why I keep thinking to myself it would be a better option to go with hardware - $600! For software! Obviously I'm going to need Analog/FM Synth emulators, Arpeggios, etc. :(

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I'm going to cool my heels but I get the point. I've got another 4 weeks of the Ableton Live Suite demo to go through, so if I find myself going at it in anger then I guess that might be something to look at.

MrSargent posted:

Ummm, hardware is almost never going to be a cheaper option than software.

Right, but if I buy a used TR-03 for £200 I can sell it for £180 in a year's time. If I buy $600 then it's just gone.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

OK so I've just taken a job as a consultant (hooray!) and my first inclination was to get more guitar gear - but I realise I'm at risk of gilding the lily in that aspect of my musical hobby since I've already a really nice amp, pedals and two wonderful guitars. It would be much more practical to get a DAW and at least be able to do some music production when I'm out travelling. In theory.

Either way I'd like to get started again sooner rather than later, but I need to ensure whatever DAW I pick up again is cross-platform (new work machine will likely be a MacBook).

It seems Ableton is a good option for this since I'm not really looking to record instruments; i.e. primarily electronic music. From the face of it , it seems the session view with/without a Push is the greatest divider between Ableton and other tools, but I'm not clear how much of a gimmick this is? If performance and 'easy testing of clips' wasn't a priority, how would Ableton stack up to say, FL Studio? I've got experience with the latter and with Reaper; but as per my post a few months ago really I'm looking to go a) legit and b) for the longer haul than a few tutorial tracks.

Laserjet 4P posted:

Protip: people sell secondhand Ableton Live licenses.

Do you know what for and where I should be looking for these codes? eBay seems dodgy as heck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Thank you guys for the advice around Ableton a few pages ago. I'm back here at this juncture with the same old problem: I have neither the bandmates nor the equipment (or desire to acquire such) to record rock music even though I've been playing guitar for about 5 years now, and have the urge to make music that I can share with others just to some small degree.

I don't have the skills locked in and I just can't force myself to follow UNREGISTERED HYPERCAM "tutorials" where a dude spends 15 minutes dragging midi notes around with no commentary or justification. Legit Books? Courses? Video tutorials? Less around the tooling and more around the workflow, composition, etc.

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jul 21, 2018

• Locked thread