Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«3 »
CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.
This is how Davos feels all the time.

And only, what, a month off schedule? For the Bessies, that's practically on time. Or something.

I suck.

Anyway, without further ado, let's kick this off and announce some winners, yes? Presenting Best Writer is MelvinTheJerk!

(Because Melvin didn't add this part in, I'm just gonna remind you guys really quick that our nominees were Bendis, Brubaker, Johns, Morrison, and Vaughn.)

It is my honor to announce to you all one of the most prolific writers in the medium today, my personal inspiration and this year's Bessie's Award Winner for Best Writer, Mr. Grant Morrison! Grant Morrison is a man who...What the hell do you mean he didn't win? Last place? Are you making GBS threads me? Well, who won? loving Brubaker? He's all right, I guess, but come on. We're talking about Grant loving Morrison here. The dude wrote The Invisibles for fucks sake, that makes him the best writer every year as far as I'm concerned. Are you really telling me Brubaker writes a better X-Men than Morrison did? Okay, just hear me out: All Star Superman and Batman. Name any two things that Brubaker did that top those two? Yeah, I'll bet you don't have time to debate me. Little poo poo. All right, just give me a second here. loving Brubaker. Man.

Anyway... They say a picture can say a thousand words, but what can a thousand words say? An ideal, a philosophy, or even an entire universe. But they don’t have to, as very often the difference can be in the details, and that’s why it’s my pleasure to present this year’s award for Best Writer to Ed Brubaker.

Ed Brubaker does routinely what so many writers cannot nor do they even attempt. He can put a microscope on a character to reveal the emotions and the very driving force of a character that so many of us have taken for granted over the years. In the past year, Brubaker has given us the once stale world of Daredevil and transformed it into a complex story about a man who is odds with himself, sworn to uphold the law and yet breaking it every night for the greater good. And then paying the price for his actions. He has given us Iron Fist. Once a small background character with a gimmick, he has created an epic story spanning thousands of years while still managing to make the individuals motivation important and engaging. He has also given us worlds of his own though with the critically acclaimed Criminal, proving to audiences that every character can not only be important, but interesting and deserving of their own story, even if they’re not the person you’d typically cheer for.

Most important of all though, is that Ed Brubaker has not forgotten what he wanted to write about from day one, the crime genre. And that devotion has bled into mainstream comics today, making a true impact on the industry and offering us fans something truly unique. With his one of a kind vision of the super hero concept and his ability to always keep readers like myself feeling the same sense of wonder and thirst for the next issue that we felt when we were younger, it’s no wonder why Ed Brubaker is this years Writer of the Year.

Thank you, Melvin! Moving right along, here's A-ron, presenting Best Artist.

Ladies and Goons, I bring you the nominees for Best Artist of the 2007 Bessies! These five lads are the ones who manage to take great stories from their respective writers, and really take a book to that next level. It's interesting to note that all five of our nominees work with top-tier writing talent, making their books not only nice to look at, but deliver the goods with a solid story as well, giving us the complete package time after time. But enough screwing around, let's see some of those pretty pictures!

David Aja (Iron Fist)

David is a Spanish artist who really popped onto the scene in many folks' eyes (including mine) with his work on The Immortal Iron Fist with Ed Brubaker / Matt Fraction. His ability to capture this gritty-mystical action tale and force it to pop off the page makes his work an easy nominee for this category:

John Cassady (Astonishing X-Men)

John is currently doing the bulk of his work with Astonishing X-men with Joss Whedon, which will sadly see the end of it's run soon (April?). John creates almost photo-realistic portraits of his characters (not Greg Land) and mixes that with his talent for detailed backgrounds and mind blowing action shots. He has an uncanny ability to take Whedon's great scripts to soaring heights by delivering money-shot after money-shot:

Stuart Immonen (Nextwave, Ultimate Spider-Man)

Stuart has a cartoonish feel to his work that perfectly suits books involving high impact action and perhaps a little slapstick as his previous work on Ultimate X-men, Ultimate Fantastic Four, and Nextwave have proven. He has replaced Mark Bagley as the steady hand for Ultimate Spiderman, but I decided to show you a nextwave panel, because, frankly, nextwave rules:

Frank Quitely (All Star Superman)

Frank is currently churing out (at the scalding pace of one issue every three months) All Star Superman with Grant Morrison but he clearly makes it worth the wait. Morrison has always been able to get the best out of Quitely's unique style as seen with his past work in JLA Earth-2 and New X-men. He always seems to be able to slip in extra detalis to a panel that you (ok maybe just me) don't notice the first time you read through, which makes him all the more talented in my book:

Ethan Van Sciver (Green Lantern)

Ethan's profile has been raised with his recent work on the Green Lantern titles (Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War) but has also had short stints on popular titles like Superman/Batman and New X-men. His high detail approach allows him to bring back classic looks and make them look brand new again. A look at this panel of GL's shows off his ability to polish the chrome on these storied characters:

But enough of my babbling, you came here to find out who we voted as the best of last year.

THE WINNER OF BEST ARTIST IS ............

Frank Quitely!

Well done, A-ron! I'm presenting the next three awards, and before I do that I just want to say what an absurdly close year it was. Last year we had more votes but pretty much every category was a blowout; this time around, awards were generally decided by a half dozen votes or less. Honestly, it was a pretty great year for comics, and the voting reflects that. Okay, awards.

Nominated for Best Cover Artist were Jo Chen, for Runaways, Adi Granov, for Nova, James Jean for Fables, JG Jones for his work on 52, and Frank Quitely, for All Star Superman. And the Bessie goes to... JG Jones, for 52!

Talent Most Deserving of Greater Recognition was a two horse race between Matt Fraction for Iron Fist and Duncan Rouleau for Metal Men. Metal Men is a great book, but I don't think anyone's going to be surprised here -- Matt Fraction won it in a landslide. Congratulations to Mr. Fraction, who will never, ever hear about this ever.

Book Most Deserving of Greater Recognition had five very good and tragically underselling books nominated this year. Blue Beetle, Checkmate, Criminal, Metal Men, and The Order all deserve higher sales and greater recognition. In the end, though, the Bessie goes to Blue Beetle! Congratulations to Mr. Rogers, who will hear about this.

Now, here's John Ford Coley presenting Best Cover.

Haha, just kidding! John never sent anything in. I'm doing it again. As a quick recap, here's the nominees one more time:

52 #52

All Star Superman #8

Daredevil #100

And the winner is... it's a three-way tie! Goddamn. Everyone's a winner!

Goddamn it more people needed to present. But they didn't, so you're stuck with me doing Best New Character. The nominees were Tek Jansen, Tracy Lawless, and Orson Randall. And the Bessie goes to... Orson Randall! This is the second Bessie of the night for Iron Fist.

Hooray, finally I can shut up for a bit. Rhino Steve will now present Most Improved Character.

G’day Ladies and gentlemen I’m Rhino Steve,
and I’m here to present the award for most improved character.
This is the second year we have had the most improved character award. Last years field was strong and it was a tight race. I think the Hulk or Batman won… not that it matters.
This years nominees as badly drawn by me:

Cyclops.
Cyclops went from being just the leader of the team, pining for his dead wife.

He has proved his leadership genius in ‘Astonishing X-men’ and is back to Fucken’ loving optic blasts.

Nova.
Nova was really just a Green Lantern clone

Till some one decided to put the entire weight of the universe on him and infecting him with the Transmode virus

Booster Gold.
Booster Gold was always a glory seeker

But after the events of 52 he has become the savior of the multi-verse, working in secret and receiving no praise

Iron Fist.
A product of the 70’s and living in Luke Cage’s Shadow

In the hands of Fraction and Brubaker he has stepped out of Cage’s shadow and is fast becoming more popular

Star-Lord
Star-lord was a minor cosmic character who wasn’t used much after the 80’s

Now with the success of Annihilation and his awesome mini, he has a new team of Dirty Dozen-esque soldiers.

The Winner
Ladies and Gentlemen the winner is:

BOOSTER GOLD

To accept the award on behalf of Booster is his sidekick Skeets

Mr. Steve would like to apologize for his spelling, as he was drunk at the time.

Next is Geekboy, and he'll be presenting Best Hero. Geekboy actually wants to apologize, because it's not as good as he intended to make it. The man is apparently not only insanely talented but insanely driven, because, well... look at what he did do!

In 2007 we saw a lot of great heroes doing a lot of great things, so let's get right to the ones who you, the people thought were the greatest of the great. It'll be great. Really.

First up is Blue Beetle!

BB: "No, we don't do that."

BB: "I'm not going to do that to win some award!"

BB: "Hmmmmm"

Next up is Booster Gold!

BB: "Hey, Booster! I heard Pepsi wants to cancel their endorsement deal!"

Each of these guys could have been a nominee in their own right after fighting off the biggest, baddest mofos in all of comicdom last year, but to keep it fair we're lumping them all together. Give it up for Green Lantern!

BB: "So I just have to think up a sentence that uses the words Xanshi, Coast City, Ice, and Refrigerator, right?"

Last but certainly not least is Invincible!

[NOTE] There is no picture available because Geekboy is lazy and bought a new TV and just generally didn't get around to finishing this up. Google search it and deal.

BB: "Hey! I'd like you to meet my father."

And the winner is . . .

um

Could you guys keep it down? I know its an emotional day and all, but your weeping is killing the mood here.

Anyway

The winner is . . . BOOSTER GOLD!

Booster isn't here to accept this award and is being represented by his robot sidekick, Skeets.

Skeets: "Booster just wants to thank everyone for recognizing that he's the greatest hero of all time and would be here today if he wasn't traveling the time stream and fixing your screw u-I mean, if he wasn't . . . sigh . . . making a commercial for Booster Flakes and cavorting with has-been supermodels in the hopes of starting up an acting career. Yep, corporate shill all the way.

Oh, and before the music starts, Booster wanted to be sure he did not thank Rip Hunter, who is apparently a "massive douche." Thanks everyone!"

Seriously. Not good enough. You explain it to me. Next up is Mferkinwalter presenting Best Villain... or not, since he didn't do anything either. I'm doing it. Again.

Best Villain had some really excellent nominees this year. Alter Tse'elon of Y: The Last Man was nominated for combining an unrelenting need to protect her country with a guilt-driven death wish, and all the truly heinous acts she undertook with that motivation. Tony Stark of pretty much every Marvel comic this year but primarily Iron Man probably wouldn't agree with his nomination here, but I think he'd understand it, because according to him, the alternatives to what he did are worse. Not that that's any comfort to Captain America's cold, dead body, but... y'know. He feels really bad about that. Sinestro, appearing in the Green Lantern books, believes that fear is a necessary evil because it's the only true path to order, and did all he did to make the Green Lantern Corps better. Apparently hanging out with Zoom during Infinite Crisis rubbed off on him. The Skrulls, of New Avengers and soon to be all of Marvel, just want a new homeworld. Problem is, they want it to be Earth and they're pulling a massive infiltration job to get it. Not cool. Finally, Superboyman-Prime, of Green Lantern (and Countdown, but Countdown sucked), thinks that the DCU sucks and figures he can do it better. He is a massively overpowered embodiment of fanboy rage, and that makes him awesome.

They say the villain is the hero in his own story, and these five nominees would agree. And the Bessie goes to... Sinestro!

I don't have much to say about Best Supporting Character, so without further ado, the winner is... Rip Hunter!

Ltkenfrankenstein was supposed to be presnting Best Crime Book, but then he didn't. This one was a squeaker, with Criminal losing by one vote to X-Factor. Congratulations, X-Factor!

Best Horror Book was a landslide for Walking Dead, which won last year too and so totally dominated both phases of the voting this year that I'm honestly considering renaming this award Walking Dead Wins Again.

Now, presnting Best Indie Book is a man who actually DID show up, FutureBoy!

This is me, Ryan Sosa. I'm a humble man by most accounts and a lover of many things. Fine foods, fine TV and fine comics. It's this last thing I wanted to talk to you about today.

This was me a few weeks ago. Bored, listless, no future to speak of. No goals of any kind.

Then my browser, ever open to SA, told me I had a message. It was Capn. Andy! He had said that Brian Clevinger's Atomic Robo had won the Bessie and that I had to present it to him!

The Bessies have never had an official statuette like the Oscars or the Emmy's, So I tried to find something to give him that really seemed to convey the level of achievement he had attained.
At first, I considered giving him an official BSS Mummy:

Or perhaps this ventriloquist dummy that follows me around at night:

Or maybe a plate of pig's feet:

In the end though, I found exactly the right prize in the back of my fridge:

A tub of radioactive brown sludge!

But that's slightly insulting to both Brian and the Bessies. I mean, how would you feel if someone handed you a bucket of sludge and said “Congratulations.”, Pretty terrible, right? Right. I thought long and hard on how to correct this:

Until finally hitting on the answer:

A little touch of class to bring the whole thing together.

Now as luck would have it, I happen to know where Brian lives, due to a previous stalking engagement. I showed up to his front door with the best of intentions:

Only to be met with bitter defeat. Brian didn't want his award and he had some choice things to say about it and my odor that were all uncalled for.

But Andy didn't recruit me to be a failure! He recruited me to give Brian this award by any means necessary! I had a plan. A plan so devious and cunning that Machiavelli himself would praise it's genius!

I hid.

Award delivered! Congratulations Brian Clevinger for your award winning Indie comic: Atomic Robo! May you enjoy continued success if you ever regain consciousness.

Hey, is that actually Clevinger? Cool!

Time for another long patch of me presenting, so let's blitz through this.

In the category of Best Sci-Fi/Fantasy Book, the Bessie goes to... Booster Gold! Booster was also nominated for Best Superhero Book, thus proving that time travel makes everything better. This is the fourth win tonight for Booster Gold.

In the category of Best Superhero Book, the Bessie goes to... Captain America! This is the second win tonight for Captain America. Not bad for a dead guy.

In the category of Best Story Arc, the Bessie goes to... "Sinestro Corps War", in Green Lantern and Green Lantern Corps! Geoff Johns is cleaning up tonight, this is his sixth win.

In the category of Best Limited Series, the Bessie goes to... New Avengers: Illuminati!

In the category of Best Ongoing Series, the Bessie goes to... Iron Fist! This is the second win for Iron Fist and the third for Matt Fraction.

To close things off for the night, here's NewAgeMilhouse presenting Best Issue of the Year.

This year's best issue
Revealed in haiku form
(this is my gimmick)

52 #52
gold, gleaming football
moth eating seconds that count
dead ghost detectives

Booster Gold #1
forgotten; hated
the greatest hero of all
gently caress da' JLA

Green Lantern #25
green defeats yellow
willpower overcomes fear
corpses have our hearts

New Avengers: Illuminati #5
silence is broken
shattered like alliances
hope flutters like wind

Y: The Last Man #59
love learned and then lost
emotions played like fiddles
no more cliffhangers

The winner, at last!
Is Fifty-Two 52
Best Book Of The Year

Thank you, and good night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

CapnAndy posted:

Ethan Van Sciver (Green Lantern)

Ethan's profile has been raised with his recent work on the Green Lantern titles (Rebirth, Sinestro Corps War) but has also had short stints on popular titles like Superman/Batman and New X-men. His high detail approach allows him to bring back classic looks and make them look brand new again. A look at this panel of GL's shows off his ability to polish the chrome on these storied characters:

Slight quibble, I believe that art is actually by Ivan Reis who is also a fantastic artist and on GL.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Gatts is right, that's totally Ivan Reis. He and Ethan have very distinct styles, I don't think Ethan is going to feel good about accepting an award based on Ivan's artwork.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

I agree with most. Except for 52 being the best issue of the year and X-factor being a better criminal book than Criminal.

I mean really, 52 had a nice few last pages, but gently caress. The last issue of Y was like the most loving amazing thing ever. Oh well. Congrats to all who that will never see this.

Sgt. Rock
Jun 7, 2001

Look at me! I'm whacked outta my fuckin' Brain on Whiskey!

No one in the industry cares about you, CapnAndy. It's very important that you understand this.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

Magoo said that the "bird's the word"
But the Fur Byrd Gang flip birds on curbs

CapnAndy posted:

Ltkenfrankenstein was supposed to be presnting Best Crime Book, but then he didn't. This one was a squeaker, with Criminal losing by one vote to X-Factor. Congratulations, X-Factor!

I need someone to explain to me how X-Factor is a book about crime.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

See, it's a crime that Peter David will never know the great honor of having a Bessie award.

NewAgeMilhouse
Apr 6, 2003

[[[intensity]]]

The problem was that Madrox was a Noir detective book, and the new X-Factor started out with that aesthetic. So I mean there should have been a guy there regulating things, making sure the votes made sense. Instead, we got Andrew.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

How the gently caress did 52 beat Y the Last Man? Issue 60 was better than almost any comic released this year. Was it because most people on the forum are waiting for the tpb's and have not read the issues yet?

NewAgeMilhouse
Apr 6, 2003

[[[intensity]]]

McNutty posted:

How the gently caress did 52 beat Y the Last Man? Issue 60 was better than almost any comic released this year. Was it because most people on the forum are waiting for the tpb's and have not read the issues yet?

Hey man, I'm just the messenger.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

McNutty posted:

Issue 60 did not come out in 2007.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."

hermanos posted:

Issue 60 did not come out in 2007.

Well, that is an excellent point. But, still Y is a mighty strong book and I am just surprised 52 beat it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

McNutty posted:

Well, that is an excellent point. But, still Y is a mighty strong book and I am just surprised 52 beat it.

I'm honestly just suprised 52 made any sort of category. There should be some YCS type deal for comics so I can just go apeshit about what I think.

Also, in all seriousness. Is Booster Gold really all that great? I read 52, and I never really felt like he was something I'd want to read. But then, I felt that way about Blue Beetle and Green Lantern and Iron fist and Nova, etc, etc.,

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #271
"Smilin'" Glen Johnson

"What thief walks through the till? I told Uatu that we did not know there was a difference and offered to pay for the other toilet seat."

Residue posted:

Also, in all seriousness. Is Booster Gold really all that great? I read 52, and I never really felt like he was something I'd want to read.
I don't read much DC, but Booster Gold is one of the books I do read. It's a really, really fun book to read, and I love the premise of it.

A-ron
Jul 18, 2004

If transformers had a fight club, Grimlock would be king.

Rhyno posted:

Gatts is right, that's totally Ivan Reis. He and Ethan have very distinct styles, I don't think Ethan is going to feel good about accepting an award based on Ivan's artwork.
I was worried I might have boned that, picking from an issue that had two artists. I had trouble finding a panel that wasn't a two page spread that I either would have had to chop up or make too small for the 800 x 600 constraint. I did a page count based on what he did in that issue, and according to the credits it SHOULD have been Van Sciver, but it wasn't. Sorry.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

This is how Davos feels.
This is how Davos feels all the time.

Sgt. Rock posted:

No one in the industry cares about you, CapnAndy. It's very important that you understand this.
Holy, gently caress, seriously? MY ENTIRE WORLDVIEW HAS JUST BEEN SHATTERED GODDAMN YOU ROCK THIS PSYCHOLOGICAL DAMAGE WILL RUIN ME FOREVER

Were the jokes about how nobody's going to hear about this or give a drat too subtle for you or what? I mean, I'd like to believe there's a good explanation here.

hermanos
Dec 30, 2005

And that's the end of it. You two take it to Helldump or get a room.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SCHWÄRTZESTES HERZ
IN ALEMANIA

hermanos posted:

And that's the end of it. You two take it to Helldump or get a room.

If it makes your job easier:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/sh...hreadid=2795706

Also I don't understand the love for Aja. The DRAMATIC ACTION JUMPING OFF THE PAGE stuff didn't appeal to me in the 90s either

NewAgeMilhouse
Apr 6, 2003

[[[intensity]]]

okay I'm just going to go ahead and post my original presentation:

Hello, I am forums member NewAgeMilhouse. I am introducing the nominees for Best Issue of the Year.

The first nominee is 52 number 52, The True Story of Infinite Crisis, until an issue of Death of the New Gods became The Truer True Story of Infinite Crisis. Honestly, Infinite Crisis was not a good enough read to warrant my interest in continually visiting. Furthermore, because of 52 number 52, Countdown was written, which is unforgivable.

Y: the Last Man number fifty-nine is a nominee in this category for reasons I can't fathom. Y: the Last Man #60 is the actual final issue of this series. I hear it is much better but I must admit that I don't know because I had been waiting to read this book when it was completed. It had better be some Starman-level poo poo rather than some Sandman-level poo poo, I will tell you that much.

Booster Gold number one is the third nominee for The Bessies 2008 Best Single Issue Of The Year. There is a term you may not be familiar with if you're not a comics fan. This term is "continuity porn". One can't be told what "continuity porn" is. One must read Booster Gold number one.

Green Lantern (volume four) number twenty-five is the next nominee for the Bessie's BSS Award 2008 Best Single Issue Award. A lot of people were excited about this book, but to me it was clumsy and confusing. It ended as so many of DC's stories seem to be these days- with a big "TOO BE CONTINUED" telling us there is a resolution for this, someday! And the trailer for the next story was so over-the-top. In 2009- GREEN LANTERN WILL FIGHT ZOMBIES. I do kind of like the idea of Green Lantern as a Babylon 5-esque space opera, though, so I will periodically check in on the storyline. Anyway, I will flat-out state that this book did not win. I want to destroy your hopes that it would.

New Avengers : Illuminatti number five is the final nominee for BSS Bessies Awards Two Thousand-Eight Award Single Issue of the Year. So uhh this issue is the begining of Secret Invasion, the prolouge to this huge story and you can't trust anyone and, you know, the scope is pretty wide, there. Potential major character continuity shakeups in the works! Black Bolt was a Skrull in this issue, and it is possible that he may have been for years.

I never once in my life imagined I would want to know what that last sentence meant. I willingly cancelled my own right to exist. New Avengers: Illuminatti number five may do this to you as well.

I honestly have no idea how to build suspense into the wait before this is announced. The winner of Best Single Issue Of The Year Bessie Two-Thousand and Eight is 52 number 52. It was written by Mark Waid, Grant Morrison, Geoff Johns, Greg Rucka and Keith Giffen. A bunch of people drew the issue. I don't feel like listing them all, since they are soulless wage-slaves to the DC marketing scheme. They are completely without integrity. I hate them so much.

In honor of 52 number 52, I have written a haiku. Here it is:

fifty-two planets
suspended in the cosmos
buy the next issue

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Can someone explain what the hell is going on in that photo montage?

Hoatzin
Aug 6, 2005

Would you eat me?

Hagetaka posted:

Also I don't understand the love for Aja. The DRAMATIC ACTION JUMPING OFF THE PAGE stuff didn't appeal to me in the 90s either

The thing is David Aja actually does it well, as opposed to most 90s artists.

The image in the OP isn't really the best representation of his art, though. It's a cool splash page and all, but Aja's strengths lie more in panel sequences and his ability to convey mood and character.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Can someone explain what the hell is going on in that photo montage?

I think its supposed to be funny.

Turn left Dale!! Noo
Jun 21, 2007

by elpintogrande

andy why did you spend so much time on something nobody will ever read

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HE ON THE TOILET
Jan 19, 2004

FUCK THE HATERS
TOILET SUPREMACY

hope i'm not too late with my submission

Turn left Dale!! Noo
Jun 21, 2007

by elpintogrande

HE ON THE TOILET posted:

hope i'm not too late with my submission

ah yes the winner of best ms paint rendition of a corpulent manchild (there were no other nominees)

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

puntme posted:

I think its supposed to be funny.

I think it is pretty funny and seeing unfunny knocks against it is getting old quick.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

That is some goddamned awful haiku.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Nilbop posted:

I think it is pretty funny and seeing unfunny knocks against it is getting old quick.

no I asked because I literally cannot comprehend what is going on in that series of pictures.

First there's a nerd, then some food, then a nerd with a gun or something, then maybe a different nerd, then they're lying on top of each other or something. What does this have to do with comic book awards?

Turn left Dale!! Noo
Jun 21, 2007

by elpintogrande

Nilbop posted:

what exactly was even slightly funny about that op

can you just highlight the good parts cause no way in hell am i reading all of that

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SCHWÄRTZESTES HERZ
IN ALEMANIA

This is obviously some kind of in-joke I am not getting

Kiss Stealer
Feb 3, 2006

ocean pulls me close/whispers in my ear/the destiny i've chose/all becoming clear/currents have their say/the time is drawing near/washes me away/makes me disappear

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

no I asked because I literally cannot comprehend what is going on in that series of pictures.

First there's a nerd, then some food, then a nerd with a gun or something, then maybe a different nerd, then they're lying on top of each other or something. What does this have to do with comic book awards?

I realize you may have trouble reading this post, because you clearly cannot read words written in the English language, but those pictures have captions that go along with them and explain what is happening.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003

Hagetaka posted:

This is obviously some kind of in-joke I am not getting

It's the alien text from Blue Beetle.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Deek posted:

what exactly was even slightly funny about that op

can you just highlight the good parts cause no way in hell am i reading all of that

You know what, nevermind.

Turn left Dale!! Noo
Jun 21, 2007

by elpintogrande

Nilbop posted:

I'll get right on telling you what to laugh at as soon as I jump back out of fyad and find some loving punctuation for you.

can you not cuss in front of the manchildren please?

dont edit your posts little tyke

a gayer ogg oggilby
May 6, 2007

by angerbotSD

quote:

Booster isn't here to accept this award and is being represented by his robot sidekick, Skeets.

Skeets: "Booster just wants to thank everyone for recognizing that he's the greatest hero of all time and would be here today if he wasn't traveling the time stream and fixing your screw u-I mean, if he wasn't . . . sigh . . . making a commercial for Booster Flakes and cavorting with has-been supermodels in the hopes of starting up an acting career. Yep, corporate shill all the way.

Oh, and before the music starts, Booster wanted to be sure he did not thank Rip Hunter, who is apparently a "massive douche." Thanks everyone!"

What does this even mean?

Kiss Stealer
Feb 3, 2006

ocean pulls me close/whispers in my ear/the destiny i've chose/all becoming clear/currents have their say/the time is drawing near/washes me away/makes me disappear

nationalism posted:

What does this even mean?

If you read the comic, you would understand.

edit: If you want a real explanation, I will give you one, but I am just assuming here you are one of this influx of random people from outside BSS who have decided to stop in and pick on CapnAndy

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Deek posted:

can you not cuss in front of the manchildren please?

dont edit your posts little tyke

Right well I guess that's me out for the count.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

SCHWÄRTZESTES HERZ
IN ALEMANIA

Rhyno posted:

It's the alien text from Blue Beetle.

Ah, thanks

The Wizard of Poz
Apr 5, 2007

neg 4 poz

Kiss Stealer posted:

I realize you may have trouble reading this post, because you clearly cannot read words written in the English language, but those pictures have captions that go along with them and explain what is happening.

the words describe what is in the pictures, but they stop a long way short of explaining anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #271
"Smilin'" Glen Johnson

"What thief walks through the till? I told Uatu that we did not know there was a difference and offered to pay for the other toilet seat."

uh oh, helldump's here to tell us what's what, guys! i shore hope they don't steal our lunch money too!

«3 »