Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

That card doesn't have both DVI & VGA, does it?

Post your xorg.conf or see if you can get that KDE program to write one for you.

Clicky

That's what xorg -configure gives me. I've been trying to get google to tell me how to get the config out of KDE, but no joy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Is there some easy way to remove a lot of packages without typing out pkg_delete [package] a million times? My first thought was to go back into the ports collection and do make uninstall but that doesn't work at all (feels like it should though).

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Is there some easy way to remove a lot of packages without typing out pkg_delete [package] a million times? My first thought was to go back into the ports collection and do make uninstall but that doesn't work at all (feels like it should though).

pkg_delete -f * I think is what I do to dump everything before an upgrade. Might need to run it a few times in case stuff doesn't want to uninstall because of dependencies.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

Sergeant Hobo posted:

You can specify multiple packages with "pkg_delete package1 package2 etc" or use the -x switch and a regex.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

pkg_delete -f * I think is what I do to dump everything before an upgrade. Might need to run it a few times in case stuff doesn't want to uninstall because of dependencies.
man pkg_delete

-a Unconditionally delete all currently installed packages.

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

EvilMoFo posted:

man pkg_delete

-a Unconditionally delete all currently installed packages.

Pffpt, real men don't read man pages. :clint:

Seriously though, when did that bit of niftiness happen? OpenBSD's pkg_delete doesn't seem to have it.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
Can anyone give me details or point me in the right direction of setting up a wireless card as an access point in OpenBSD?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

LooseChanj posted:

Seriously though, when did that bit of niftiness happen? OpenBSD's pkg_delete doesn't seem to have it.
oh, not too long ago at all

Mon Mar 5 11:11:30 2001 UTC (7 years, 1 month ago) by sobomax

sadly, openbsd is a bit rough around the edges after using freebsd for long

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

EvilMoFo posted:

Practically yesterday then. :v: Man, I wonder why Open's never adopted it? Or maybe it has, and it's not in the man page.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

spoon daddy posted:

Can anyone give me details or point me in the right direction of setting up a wireless card as an access point in OpenBSD?
if its like freebsd (which i think it is) its via ifconfig -m

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME

Sergeant Hobo posted:

You can always try pkg_cutleaves. It's basically a script that cycles through the ports tree, asking whether you want to delete each package that it finds that nothing else depends on. When one loop is done, it cycles back through with any new "orphaned" packages it finds.

It sounds complicated, but it's not, so here's a half-assed example: I have php5 and a single extension (i.e. php5-mysql) installed. The first round asks if I want to nuke php5-mysql, so I do. Since it's now gone and there's nothing else that requires php5, the second loop will now give me the option to remove php5.

It's a pretty efficient and safe way to prune down installed ports.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

i dont see myself ever needing it but its pretty awesome

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

EvilMoFo posted:

Mon Mar 5 11:11:30 2001 UTC (7 years, 1 month ago) by sobomax

sadly, openbsd is a bit rough around the edges after using freebsd for long

It may seem rough, but more likely it's just different. My guess is OpenBSD doesn't have a switch for pkg_delete to delete all packages because you can just do pkg_delete /var/db/pkg/*. The devs don't like to add switches if they aren't really necessary. The upgrade mode of pkg_add is also pretty good now so you don't really need to wipe all the packages out with a new version, just do pkg_add -ui.

As for making an OpenBSD access point, whatever chipset you're using needs to support hostap mode. You can check it in the man page. The ral man page has an example of what to put in your hostname.if:

quote:

The following hostname.if(5) example creates a host-based access point on boot:

inet 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0 NONE media autoselect \
mediaopt hostap nwid my_net chan 11

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I need some help trying to mount a UFS disk in linux. The disk is sata and was in a freebsd (5.x) system in a raid 1. It's attached to the linux machine currently with a usb -> sata cable.

I'm using a 2.6.9.x linux kernel (centosplus), with ufs compiled as a module. So far so good, but none of the ufs types are recognized:
code:
# mount /dev/sdc /mnt/bsd/ -r -t ufs -o ufstype=5xbsd
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
ufs_read_super: bad magic number
The 44bsd or ufs2 ufstypes don't seem to work either, even though I'm sure they should.

code:
(parted) select /dev/sdc
Using /dev/sdc
(parted) check 1                                                          
Error: Unable to open /dev/sdc - unrecognised disk label.
(parted) print all                                                        
Error: Unable to open /dev/sdc - unrecognised disk label.  
Checking out dmesg shows that sdc should be said disk:
code:
SCSI device sdc: 625142448 512-byte hdwr sectors (320073 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 00 38 00 00
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
SCSI device sdc: 625142448 512-byte hdwr sectors (320073 MB)
sdc: Write Protect is off
sdc: Mode Sense: 00 38 00 00
sdc: assuming drive cache: write through
 sdc: unknown partition table
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sdc
sd 2:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg2 type 0

--
# cat /proc/scsi/usb-storage/2 
   Host scsi2: usb-storage
       Vendor: JMicron
      Product: USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge
Serial Number: D57CA0D48104
     Protocol: Transparent SCSI
    Transport: Bulk

-- 
# cat /proc/scsi/scsi 
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3250310AS      Rev: 3.AA
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 01 Lun: 00
  Vendor: ATA      Model: ST3250310AS      Rev: 3.AA
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 05
Host: scsi2 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: WDC WD32 Model: 00YS-01PGB0      Rev: 0M21
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
BSD disk labels are also compiled into the kernel, so I'm out of ideas. Im able to dd copy the disk, but i'd like to be able to mount it without having to attach it to a bsd machine.
Entertaining suggestions!

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Apr 24, 2008

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fishstick posted:

I need some help trying to mount a UFS disk in linux. The disk is sata and was in a freebsd (5.x) system in a raid 1. It's attached to the linux machine currently with a usb -> sata cable.

I'm using a 2.6.9.x linux kernel (centosplus), with ufs compiled as a module.

BSD disk labels are also compiled into the kernel, so I'm out of ideas. Im able to dd copy the disk, but i'd like to be able to mount it without having to attach it to a bsd machine.

Are you sure the UFS and BSD partition modules are loaded? Is the raid1 completely transparent? Can you make a raid1 of a linux disk, then split it off onto this machine and use that?

I'm going to suggest you upgrade your kernel to something recent. 2.6.9 is pretty old. http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.25.tar.bz2 Give that a whirl and report back.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

Are you sure the UFS and BSD partition modules are loaded? Is the raid1 completely transparent? Can you make a raid1 of a linux disk, then split it off onto this machine and use that?

I'm going to suggest you upgrade your kernel to something recent. 2.6.9 is pretty old. http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.25.tar.bz2 Give that a whirl and report back.

Unfortunate typo on my part on the kernel version, it's actually a 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.centos.plus.

The UFS and bsd_label modules are active, before activating them mount will just spit out "unknown filesystem option" if you try to use ufs, now it lists the ufstypes option as well. Modprobe doesn't error either.

I'm not clear on what you mean by this though:

quote:

Can you make a raid1 of a linux disk, then split it off onto this machine and use that?
What exactly would that achieve? The machine this disk belongs to was BSD and needs to be BSD, I just need to be able to retrieve the data some way. I'm actually already setting up a VM bsd just to mount this goddamn thing.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Fishstick posted:

What exactly would that achieve?

Trying to see if you can mount anything that comes off that raid1 without the raid controller (software? hardware? nvraidbullshit?) in place.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

It's the same hardware/setup we use on other machines, just bsd.

It's a 3ware hardware raid, and on our linux machines I've always been able to just remove a drive from the array, replace it with a fresh one, and pull data off of the removed drive just by mounting it as ext2/3. Unless i'm once again misunderstanding what you mean.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

You can always try pkg_cutleaves. It's basically a script that cycles through the ports tree, asking whether you want to delete each package that it finds that nothing else depends on. When one loop is done, it cycles back through with any new "orphaned" packages it finds.

It sounds complicated, but it's not, so here's a half-assed example: I have php5 and a single extension (i.e. php5-mysql) installed. The first round asks if I want to nuke php5-mysql, so I do. Since it's now gone and there's nothing else that requires php5, the second loop will now give me the option to remove php5.

Now that's how I imagined a make uninstall from within the ports tree would work, more or less. Thanks for the link.

markus876
Aug 19, 2002

I am a comedy trap.

Fishstick posted:

code:
# mount /dev/sdc /mnt/bsd/ -r -t ufs -o ufstype=5xbsd
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc,
ufs_read_super: bad magic number

This could be really dumb / not useful, but do you need to specify anything more specific than just /dev/sdc? Maybe /dev/sdc1?

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

And then the ArchAngel descended from heaven.

markus876 posted:

This could be really dumb / not useful, but do you need to specify anything more specific than just /dev/sdc? Maybe /dev/sdc1?

Yep you would. Slice 1 would be /dev/sdc1, slice 2 would be /dev/sdc2, etc. Each slice is a partition on disk.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Yeah, but machine wasn't recognizing any of the slices, so that was my desperate attempt :smith:.

In the meantime i've been able to get the BSD box running again using a 4month old disk that was taken out of the raid 1 at some point (these guys had an awesome backup scheme!), and booting from there. I've hooked the data disc (with the recent data) on a sata port outside of raid. But it's not looking too good:

code:
# fdisk /dev/ad2
******* Working on device /dev/ad2 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=155061 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=155061 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 156301425 (76319 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 436/ head 15/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>
After some googling and a lot of loving around (fsck -b is apparently fsck_ffs or fsck_ufs -b on bsd?), I was able to compile scan_ffs and found the partitions.

If I understand correctly, I should be able to retrieve the disklabels through scan_ffs, match it with the disklabels of the older raid-removed disk - that is now the bootdrive - and apply them to the hosed disk, after making a copy with dd. This way I should hopefully be able to recover the slices and mount it.

However, there's a 2block difference in the labels between the bootdisk and the datadisk, could this be due to disk geometry (bootdisk is 160gb with 80gb partition, data disk is 80gb with 80gb partition) or should I correct the label with what I know is correct, versus what scan_ffs has found on it?

code:
#Boot/Old removed disk:
h: 120176370 36119952    4.2BSD     2048 16384 28552
# Disk to be recovered:
X: 120176368 36121039 4.2BSD 2048 16384 0 # /usr
This was pretty interesting as my virgin experience with freebsd!

E: Welp, that worked. Too bad it was for nought since half the goddamn folders were busted in the end anyway. Lessons learned.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 25, 2008

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!
:downs: OpenBSD upgrade tip: When booting from the ramdisk kernel to upgrade, it helps to use the bsd.rd from the release you're trying to install.

Also, remembering where you saved the install sets. :doh:

I'm patting myself on the back though, because that's all I hosed up this time.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Interestingly enough, it looks like setting up FreeBSD to do the same things my Arch Linux box does now is going to be way the hell easier than how I did it with Arch to begin with. So I think I'll do that.

EDIT: Also, I'm curious. What exactly would one use NetBSD for, compared to Free or Open? Like if you had some obscure platform you needed BSD for and the others wouldn't work?

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 19, 2008

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
NetBSD is the one that will run on tons of different hardware, I think its more used for embedded devices and appliances. Probably not as friendly to set up, but very portable.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

We recently acquired an HP c7000 blade system along with a matching EVA san box to go with it.

Finally after playing around with it a bit, I've been able to get FreeBSD 7.0 to boot off the san nicely and doing failovers using Geom Multipathing (via dual path FC). All I got to say is :drat:

Anyways, considering the possibility of doing multiple server configurations with this now - has anyone tried doing the equivalent of perfect copies of the OS drive for mass deployment?

Provided it's a very generic 'OS image' that I'm playing with, can anyone think of issues that might crop up with perfect copies of the OS disk? I'm thinking that the GEOM disk labeling might be the biggest issue, the rest of the server/network config is really just something to be fixed in the /etc/rc.conf file.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

from the sound of it, you might want to look into how ezjail does its thing

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

EvilMoFo posted:

from the sound of it, you might want to look into how ezjail does its thing

No - I'm looking at imaging a disk, and installing that disk in another physical server. Think of it as doing raid1 across 2 disks, then breaking the raid set and installing 1 of the drives in a different server (and having now both raid sets rebuild back to safety)

I'm just curious if anyone else has done this and what kind of issues that have cropped up.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

unknown posted:

No - I'm looking at imaging a disk, and installing that disk in another physical server. Think of it as doing raid1 across 2 disks, then breaking the raid set and installing 1 of the drives in a different server (and having now both raid sets rebuild back to safety)

I'm just curious if anyone else has done this and what kind of issues that have cropped up.

Never really broke up geom raid sets. Usually our software raid servers are linux. You could use G4U and produce 2 images (one for each hard drive). If the drives aren't filled with data it will only be the size of what is actually on it since the images are compressed.
The other way is to do disk to disk cloning, just clone one at a time. Once you have a clone you can use that on a second machine so you can do two disks at once. G4U doesn't even require the CD to stay in the drive, so once its booted you don't even need multiple CDs. Just take it out and put it in the next machine. See if hot swap works once one is done. If it does then you don't have to even reboot, you just remove disks and put in the next one to be cloned.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

JHVH-1 posted:

Never really broke up geom raid sets.

Actually, I'm not really breaking raid sets, it was just a similar example - I've got a set of blade servers attached to a FC switch which has a san box (eva) handing out LUNs and then the blade is booting off those (ie: no local drives on the blade machines).

Since the San box is handling all the disk stuff, I can actually duplicate the drive on there, and give box #2 the new disk/LUN to boot off.

One of the main issues I know I have to deal with is if a blade sees a different blade's hard drive on the SAN fabric by mistake, and GEOM scans for the label and it's the same as a current mounted drive, it'll add that as a redundant path. (I know FC zoning takes care of that, but if human error kicks in..)

Things could very easily go nasty as the underlying data would be different if gmultipath fails over to a different drive than what it's expecting.

What I'm looking for is other gotchas like that. :)

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

unknown posted:

Provided it's a very generic 'OS image' that I'm playing with, can anyone think of issues that might crop up with perfect copies of the OS disk? I'm thinking that the GEOM disk labeling might be the biggest issue, the rest of the server/network config is really just something to be fixed in the /etc/rc.conf file.

I'm not sure how other BSDs do it, but OpenBSD generates SSH keys on the first boot after install, so if you imaged the drive after the first boot you'd have identical host keys on each machine. Probably not too hard to image it before the first boot, just like you would with Windows and sysprep mini-setup, or just regen the keys after imaging.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

unknown posted:

No
i was not clear, my bad

i was referencing the actual operation of ezjail, using a read only fs (nullfs in the case of ezjail) base and having a separate writable disk for all the normal stuffs (ssh keys, configs, packages, ...)

beyond that, it is too above and beyond my knowledge .... i need to get around to playing with my (second hand) fibre channel arrays that are waiting for attention

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I'm happy to report that my file server is now running FreeBSD and I'm listening to my music as if I had never left Arch Linux. Up next: Gateway/NAT functionality.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

Anyone got any drat documentation on freebsd's sysinstall and it's install.cfg file?

I'm trying to get it to redo whatever partitions/slices are on a disk automatically, but it's being a pain in the rear end and not overwriting any pre-existing slices, so it therefore won't get wiped and mounted properly. (Clean/Blank disks are okay though)

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

i just delete and redo the partition in fdisk and then disklabel is blank so its a clean slate

unknown
Nov 16, 2002

EvilMoFo posted:

i just delete and redo the partition in fdisk and then disklabel is blank so its a clean slate

That's what I'm trying to do - delete the partition (if it exists), but I can't get it to do that. :(

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...
I am absolutely brand new to BSD and fairly new to Linux/UNIX. What are the essentials to getting a BSD box online in a corporate environment? Currently I am running a test virtual BSD box and IP's don't resolve. Can anyone help a stupid noob?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Megaman posted:

I am absolutely brand new to BSD and fairly new to Linux/UNIX. What are the essentials to getting a BSD box online in a corporate environment? Currently I am running a test virtual BSD box and IP's don't resolve. Can anyone help a stupid noob?

Read the handbook.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME

H110Hawk posted:

Read the handbook.

Specifically the part about /etc/resolv.conf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grayham
Jun 13, 2005

I just blue myself
Alright, I'm new to BSD and I only have minimal Linux knowledge.

I have a computer that I want to install FreeNAS on but right now I'm just messing around with FreeNAS on VMware Fusion 2 Beta on my Macbook Pro.

I'm trying to get SABnzbd+ installed. When I install the package via the WebGUI, it gives me this:

code:
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'python25-2.5.2_2' with 'lang/python25' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-cherrypy-old-2.2.1,1' with 'www/py-cherrypy-old' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-chardet-1.0.1' with 'textproc/py-chardet' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-feedparser-4.1_2' with 'textproc/py-feedparser' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-utils-0.2.5' with 'devel/py-utils' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-setuptools-0.6c8' with 'devel/py-setuptools' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-elementtree-1.2.6' with 'devel/py-elementtree' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-cheetah-2.0.1' with 'devel/py-cheetah' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'py25-cElementTree-1.0.5_1' with 'devel/py-celementtree' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'unrar-3.80.b1,5' with 'archivers/unrar' origin.
Package 'sabnzbdplus-0.3.0' depends on 'par2cmdline-0.4_1' with 'archivers/par2cmdline' origin.
Do I need to download all of these individually?

• Locked thread