Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jt
Nov 23, 2004

I love Japan! All hail the glorious Nippon!
What's the state of 3d acceleration of the desktop on FreeBSD? It's been years since I used it as a desktop OS but if I was to give it a shot now i'd probably want some 3d jiggly windows action!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
Compiz-fusion is in the ports tree. If your video card is supported it should work. I had it running on my system.

Anybody who has ever tried to install compiz-fusion on any system will probably tell you that things generally don't go exactly as planned. If you're using nvidia, I'll save you an hour of Googling. You must re-install your nvidia drivers from the ports tree if you have installed xorg-server since you last installed the nvidia driver. The reason is that nvidia installs its own version of glx and xorg-server overwrites it.

You must do this every time you upgrade xorg-server. A pain in the rear end, I know.

whetu
Dec 22, 2006
don't copy that floppy

Lukano posted:

Better yet, is there a live-cd with a gui and some tools?

DesktopBSD has been Frenzy-based Live capable for some time, PC-BSD only recently. Both use KDE and come with all manner of tools, depending on what tools specifically that you're after...

whetu
Dec 22, 2006
don't copy that floppy

timb posted:

I've shamelessly stolen this and incorporated it into the OP.

If anyone else has things they wish to include; links, sections, operating systems, pictures of them making GBS threads their pants, let me know and I'll add it.

No problem :) There's also more links than you can throw a stick at here:
http://desktopbsd.net/wiki/doku.php?id=doc:useful_information

Also: http://www.freebsd.org/projects/newbies.html

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
I'd heard of PC-BSD, but, never DesktopBSD.
I may have to have a go at that.

I have a spare machine at home (needs a disc though), and I've been wanting to get into a nix for a long long time. I've tried BSD a few times, but once its installed, I've never really know what to do next.

I have a few ideas on things I'd like to do this time, so hopefully, this install will hang around/last longer.

Requested username
Dec 12, 2005

Toiletbrush posted:

Three simple questions:

- Is there driver support for the Intel Wireless 4965? Including WPA support?
- Is there something like hdparm, so that I can disable a today's laptop's drive's annoying power management?
- How stable is ZFS in 7.0?

There's driver support in OpenBSD, so the other BSDs should pick it up soon if they haven't already. WPA is considered a flawed and broken protocol by the OpenBSD guys so there's very little interest in getting WPA support in OpenBSD. I'm not sure about the status of WPA in FreeBSD.

I've never used Linux, but have a look at atactl(8) and tunefs(8). FreeBSD doesn't have atactl but try looking at atacontrol(8).

Since ZFS is both a new filesystem and a new filesystem to FreeBSD, my gut says "not as stable as FFS" but they've been working on it for quite some time. The fact that they've been making so much noise about finally enabling it by default in the 7.0 release makes me think that it's stable enough for real world testing and use.

The BSDs tend to be much more conservative about adding new features, OpenBSD in particular. If something is enabled in the GENERIC kernel it must be stable enough to be considered production worthy. New drivers and features generally start out as a patch on the mailing lists that's thrown around until someone decides it's good enough to be imported into the tree. When that happens it's usually not connected to the build in the case of a userland program, or commented out in GENERIC in the case of a kernel change. Only when the developers consider a feature to be ready for wider testing and real world usage is it enabled by default.

Just keep in mind that this is the first release that supports ZFS. AKA FreeBSD-ZFS 1.0, and we all know how 1.0 releases are. If you're planning on doing some major, mission-critical stuff for a multi-million dollar corporation you might want to wait for FreeBSD 7.1 just in case.

Maggot Monster
Nov 27, 2003
I wish Dell provided support for FreeBSD servers as I was only allowed to pick between RHEL and SuSE due to hardware support implications. I loving hate both of them, and I wish I could go back to FreeBSD. :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Requested username posted:

WPA is considered a flawed and broken protocol by the OpenBSD guys so there's very little interest in getting WPA support in OpenBSD.

What? Seeing that the other option is WEP, WPA is a godsend. Or is this only referring to WPA1, with WPA2 being supported?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That lovely Philips router of mine doesn't do WPA2, so I wouldn't be helped, anyway. :v:

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

jt posted:

What's the state of 3d acceleration of the desktop on FreeBSD? It's been years since I used it as a desktop OS but if I was to give it a shot now i'd probably want some 3d jiggly windows action!

I just built myself a new FreeBSD 7.0 STABLE desktop for work. It's got an NVidia 8800GTS. I had compiz working. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, though. I had some minor artifacting and window decorations disappeared from all but the front window. I turned it off.

As far as 3D acceleration in general goes, FreeBSD 7.0 seems to be right on the money. I use the x11/nvidia-driver from ports. I installed the Windows Eve Online client today and it runs like a champ in a window on the version of Wine (.9.57) that's in ports now. All I had to do was install the arial font on my Wine install and things work just as they do on Windows.

My only complaint with using FreeBSD as a desktop is that the Flash 9 plugin for linux hangs. I switched the Flash 7 and things work for sites that are 7 compatible like YouTube but won't work for any site that uses the features in Flash 9. My solution is to just install Firefox in Wine. That's easy enough for me.

Overall I've been very happy with FreeBSD 7.0 as my desktop OS. Right now I'm building some qemu virtual machines on my machine which will provide pinch-hitting for some core services like DNS and Samba in case I need it.

I guess it's also worth noting that I run 6.3 STABLE on my file, dns and web servers and 7.0 STABLE on my snort/backup/you-name-it machine. I made the switch from an all RedHat AS 3 operation a few months ago and I couldn't be happier. FreeBSD is my primary OS now. I can't imagine going back to Linux unless it would be for a very specific purpose.

whetu
Dec 22, 2006
don't copy that floppy

Since ZFS is both a new filesystem and a new filesystem to FreeBSD, my gut says "not as stable as FFS" but they've been working on it for quite some time. The fact that they've been making so much noise about finally enabling it by default in the 7.0 release makes me think that it's stable enough for real world testing and use.

The BSDs tend to be much more conservative about adding new features, OpenBSD in particular. If something is enabled in the GENERIC kernel it must be stable enough to be considered production worthy. New drivers and features generally start out as a patch on the mailing lists that's thrown around until someone decides it's good enough to be imported into the tree. When that happens it's usually not connected to the build in the case of a userland program, or commented out in GENERIC in the case of a kernel change. Only when the developers consider a feature to be ready for wider testing and real world usage is it enabled by default.

Just keep in mind that this is the first release that supports ZFS. AKA FreeBSD-ZFS 1.0, and we all know how 1.0 releases are. If you're planning on doing some major, mission-critical stuff for a multi-million dollar corporation you might want to wait for FreeBSD 7.1 just in case.

Apparently FBSD ZFS is equivilent to Solaris ZFS v2, whereas Solaris ZFS is up to v7. However, FBSD ZFS has been said by many early adopters to be definately production quality - and now that there's a solid foundation, porting extra features across from Solaris and building on it will be a lot faster. By 7.1 I expect a lot of catching up will be done, maybe by 7.2 FBSD will be doing the innovating...

no_fuse posted:

My only complaint with using FreeBSD as a desktop is that the Flash 9 plugin for linux hangs. I switched the Flash 7 and things work for sites that are 7 compatible like YouTube but won't work for any site that uses the features in Flash 9. My solution is to just install Firefox in Wine. That's easy enough for me.

Yup, that's an obvious problem, however Flash-9 on Linux isn't 100% rock solid either. I have a feeling it might be to do with the linux compat layer that you use - FBSD tends towards the Fedora libs whereas NBSD tends towards OpenSUSE - apparently you'll get a better time with the OpenSUSE libs. Though the most reliable way is WINE + Win32 version of your browser of choice + Win32 version of Flash 9. Especially in FBSD 7 where it has been patched to deal with Wine's lovely threading

whetu fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 17, 2008

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

whetu posted:

Yup, that's an obvious problem, however Flash-9 on Linux isn't 100% rock solid either. I have a feeling it might be to do with the linux compat layer that you use - FBSD tends towards the Fedora libs whereas NBSD tends towards OpenSUSE - apparently you'll get a better time with the OpenSUSE libs. Though the most reliable way is WINE + Win32 version of your browser of choice + Win32 version of Flash 9. Especially in FBSD 7 where it has been patched to deal with Wine's lovely threading

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well. Before I switched to fc7 from fc-4 compat the nspluginviewer.bin segfaulted instead of just hanging as it does now. Frankly, I can't be bothered to recompile. The Wine solution works well enough. :)

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME

Maggot Monster posted:

I wish Dell provided support for FreeBSD servers as I was only allowed to pick between RHEL and SuSE due to hardware support implications. I loving hate both of them, and I wish I could go back to FreeBSD. :(

We're an all BSD/Dell shop. The only problem is in-OS RAID monitoring and control. With the 9th gens, we're forced to use linux-megacli, which leads to fun layer stuff like:
code:
$ sudo ktrace megacli -AdpAllInfo -aAll 2>&1 > /dev/null
$ sudo kdump |grep -i mount
   lpfs=`mount -t linprocfs | wc -l | awk '{ print $1 }'`
          echo "You need to mount linprocfs to run `basename $0`." >&2
        lsfs=`mount -t linsysfs | wc -l | awk '{ print $1 }'`
           echo "You need to mount linsysfs to run `basename $0`." >&2
 12230 MegaCli  NAMI  "/compat/linux/proc/mounts"
which is great when you've got stale NFS mount points you're trying to update and it spawns eleventy processes that ignore kill -9s until it panics.

whetu posted:

Yup, that's an obvious problem, however Flash-9 on Linux isn't 100% rock solid either...

My solution is to run linux-firefox. Some sites still cause hardlocks, but they're mostly caused by ads. With adblock plus installed, it's completely usable.

CrzyDTpBoy fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 17, 2008

Requested username
Dec 12, 2005

wolrah posted:

What? Seeing that the other option is WEP, WPA is a godsend. Or is this only referring to WPA1, with WPA2 being supported?

I mean WPA2. The other option is not WEP. There are many other ways to secure a wireless connection; authpf, SSH, VPNs, and IPSec can already do everything WPA2 can do and more. They're simpler (WPA2 requires a state machine) and they've been around longer. WPA2 is a complex standard and requires too much bullshit in its implementation for anyone to consider writing support for it when there are already multiple tried-and-true ways of accomplishing the same thing.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!

Toiletbrush posted:

- Is there something like hdparm, so that I can disable a today's laptop's drive's annoying power management?
ataidle in ports may be what you're after.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
^^^ Thanks.

whetu posted:

Apparently FBSD ZFS is equivilent to Solaris ZFS v2, whereas Solaris ZFS is up to v7. However, FBSD ZFS has been said by many early adopters to be definately production quality - and now that there's a solid foundation, porting extra features across from Solaris and building on it will be a lot faster. By 7.1 I expect a lot of catching up will be done, maybe by 7.2 FBSD will be doing the innovating...
Solaris Nevada ZFS is up to version 10.

I'm still running build 76 (like almost half a year old). Here's my pool features:

code:
VER  DESCRIPTION
---  --------------------------------------------------------
 1   Initial ZFS version
 2   Ditto blocks (replicated metadata)
 3   Hot spares and double parity RAID-Z
 4   zpool history
 5   Compression using the gzip algorithm
 6   bootfs pool property
 7   Separate intent log devices
 8   Delegated administration

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
Here is something that I have been wondering for a little while now. Why is Sendmail the default mail server? My impression has been that people generally don't like it and replace it with Postfix or Qmail or something else. Is it a matter of ubiquity and Sendmail really still is king, or is there just not enough interest in switching to something else? Or do most people prefer to use Sendmail and my impression is wrong?

whetu
Dec 22, 2006
don't copy that floppy

Toiletbrush posted:

Solaris Nevada ZFS is up to version 10.

D'oh. I stand corrected. I'm a Solaris and Linux admin professionally and an avid BSD guy personally. I've been jumpstarting some v120's for the last few weeks for some of our devs to do some testing, I must be getting confused with the blur of information shaking around inside my head :(

SmirkingJack posted:

Here is something that I have been wondering for a little while now. Why is Sendmail the default mail server? My impression has been that people generally don't like it and replace it with Postfix or Qmail or something else. Is it a matter of ubiquity and Sendmail really still is king, or is there just not enough interest in switching to something else? Or do most people prefer to use Sendmail and my impression is wrong?

Probably more a mentality thing. BSD is an actual, proper, UNIX derivitive. Linux OTOH is "UNIX-like." There's some saying about "BSD is what happens when you get a bunch of UNIX hackers together to write an OS for PC hardware, Linux is what you get when you get a bunch of PC hackers together to write a UNIX."

That's why a lot of people who are ingrained with the Linux way (tm) struggle to wrap their heads around why BSD folk aren't falling head over heels to have absolutely the latest kernel and the latest version of X and the latest version of KDE and the latest version of xyz. FBSD-7 is out as well as KDE4 and I'm running neither - blasphemy according to some of the more rabid Linux folk who believe that bleeding edge is the only way to be. That and the comparative lack of zealotry in the BSD community is like a deafening silence ;)

One of the things I really like about BSD is that it's about taking your time, doing things right and sticking with mature solutions. So that could probably well be it: Sendmail is a) mature, solid, reliable and conservative b) maybe closer to the "UNIX way" of doing things. Postfix is simply a lot easier to setup, that's why it's popular.

whetu fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 18, 2008

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Maggot Monster posted:

It seems to run fine on all their machines that we have at work. The only problems we have seen are with broadcom network chipsets and you can just order intel to solve that. We get our machines without the OS pre-installed.

No idea about running stuff like management tools with linux compatibility layer though as we don't use it.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Anyone test out ULE under 7.0? I'm seeing reports that it's slower than 4BSD in pretty much everything.

HATE TROLL TIM fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Mar 19, 2008

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
I tried it under RC1. ULE has great benchmarks so I was expecting great things. What I saw didn't really impress me and I switched back to 4BSD.

I was running it on a desktop machine and whenever I was compiling it would kill the UI responsiveness. I had Xorg, moused, and Fluxbox reniced to -20 but that didn't change a thing. Under 4BSD I didn't see the problem. It's kind of ironic as the FreeBSD team recommends it for a desktop system for the exact opposite reason--they seem to think that a desktop environment should run better under ULE.

To be fair, I was running on a single core machine. ULE is supposed to really shine with multiple processors. But if they're going to move over to it by default in 7.1 it should run at least as well as 4BSD for a single processor.

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

timb posted:

Anyone test out ULE under 7.0? I'm seeing reports that it's slower than 4BSD in pretty much everything.

I run ULE on my desktop and it seems to work like a champ. No audio skipping or anything even when I tried to get it to freak out by doing make -j 3 buildworld and make -j 3 buildkernel at the same time. A few days ago when I was doing some MySQL benchmarking with sysbench I found (when using more than twice the number of threads as CPU cores) my 7 STABLE quad-core desktop with ULE was about 10 times faster than my 6 STABLE quad core database server with 4BSD as long as lots of disk access wasn't involved. The 10k RPM SATA drive in my desktop just can't match the RAID setup in my database server. :)

This is just my experience, though.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
There has been a few months of development heavily focused on the scheduler since RC1, and the most recent benchmarks are post-RC1. I was actually following it on the mailing list. ULE may be worth another look.

I know the SQL benchmarks I've seen are nothing short of amazing. Not to mention the network and memory benchmarks (though unrelated to the scheduler). At the moment I the only FreeBSD box I have is 6.2 and I don't want to go to all of the trouble of rebuilding my ports quite yet.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Got it running under amd64 now, about to run some benchmarks.

One odd thing I did notice since recompiling my kernel, I'm now getting the following in dmesg:

code:
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle1: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu1
acpi_throttle1: failed to attach P_CNT
device_attach: acpi_throttle1 attach returned 6
cpu2: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle2: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu2
acpi_throttle2: failed to attach P_CNT
device_attach: acpi_throttle2 attach returned 6
cpu3: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle3: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu3
acpi_throttle3: failed to attach P_CNT
device_attach: acpi_throttle3 attach returned 6
Google isn't turning up anything on it. All the CPUs do launch, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it or not.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

And then the ArchAngel descended from heaven.

JHVH-1 posted:

It seems to run fine on all their machines that we have at work. The only problems we have seen are with broadcom network chipsets and you can just order intel to solve that. We get our machines without the OS pre-installed.

No idea about running stuff like management tools with linux compatibility layer though as we don't use it.

Dell has a secret team somewhere certifying the FreeBSD 6.X tree for their 2950's so they should continue to be a safe bet for FreeBSD well into the future.

whetu
Dec 22, 2006
don't copy that floppy

timb posted:

Got it running under amd64 now, about to run some benchmarks.

One odd thing I did notice since recompiling my kernel, I'm now getting the following in dmesg:

code:
cpu0: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle0: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu0
cpu1: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle1: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu1
acpi_throttle1: failed to attach P_CNT
device_attach: acpi_throttle1 attach returned 6
cpu2: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle2: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu2
acpi_throttle2: failed to attach P_CNT
device_attach: acpi_throttle2 attach returned 6
cpu3: <ACPI CPU> on acpi0
acpi_throttle3: <ACPI CPU Throttling> on cpu3
acpi_throttle3: failed to attach P_CNT
device_attach: acpi_throttle3 attach returned 6
Google isn't turning up anything on it. All the CPUs do launch, so I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it or not.

Google turns up plenty for me, with just: acpi_throttle1: failed to attach P_CNT, P_CNT by itself turns up a bunch too.. it seems to be an ACPI register involved with, surprise surprise, CPU throttling :)

If I was to guess though, I'd say that either the other CPU's/cores are going off cpu0, which doesn't have this problem, or there's some bug in the ACPI/CPU handling that prevents P_CNT from being used on more than one 'device' at once.

Google seems to think that your options are either to disable it:
hint_acpi_throttle.0.disabled="1"

OR to add this to /boot/loader.conf
cpufreq_load="YES"

ref: http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44677

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

whetu posted:

Google turns up plenty for me, with just: acpi_throttle1: failed to attach P_CNT, P_CNT by itself turns up a bunch too.. it seems to be an ACPI register involved with, surprise surprise, CPU throttling :)

If I was to guess though, I'd say that either the other CPU's/cores are going off cpu0, which doesn't have this problem, or there's some bug in the ACPI/CPU handling that prevents P_CNT from being used on more than one 'device' at once.

Google seems to think that your options are either to disable it:
hint_acpi_throttle.0.disabled="1"

OR to add this to /boot/loader.conf
cpufreq_load="YES"

ref: http://www.bsdforums.org/forums/showthread.php?t=44677

Google turns up plenty for me as well, however most of it is just copies of random dmesg logs and unanswered message list posts.

I realize it had to do with ACPI, but your post made it suddenly clear: I disabled cpufreq in the new kernel. :doh:

Even though it's out of the kernel, it's still trying to throttle the CPUs I guess.

You ever look so hard at something you miss the obvious? Yea. The word throttle just wasn't registering in my brain.

Thanks for the fresh perspective.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Absorbs Quickly posted:

Dell has a secret team somewhere certifying the FreeBSD 6.X tree for their 2950's so they should continue to be a safe bet for FreeBSD well into the future.

Where did you hear that? I've got 2950s that periodically lock up that we've narrowed down to a chipset difference that Dell refuses to acknowledge because we're running FreeBSD.

writequit
Sep 14, 2004

fnord fnord fnord fnord
I'm having a hard time finding google-proof but Ironport uses rebadged 2950's and successfully runs a modified FreeBSD on them. Your periodic lockup sounds like heat / component failure of some kind, but you could be right - it wouldn't be the first time a Dell server has had issues because of hardware differences in same-generation-and-model servers. I sound like an HP SE, I promise I'm not.

Any generic Sysadmin tips? I'm only running one 7.0 server colo'd and like to think I run a tight ship but am always looking for more ideas or gotchyas I might have missed.

Currently:

- rsnapshot to /usr/snapshot for a local rotation of backups (soon to add offsite jobs too over ssh)
- cron jobs to call shell scripts that mysqldump nightly
- nightly portaudit | mail
- nightly portsnap cron
- pf w/ ingress / egress filtering
- tripwire
- smtp greylisting

I know there is a lot I'm not doing to secure the system. It's a mail server for a few dozen domains, runs exim, apache, mysql, etc.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
We have lots of Dell 2950's running FreeBSD. Can you be more specific about the problems you're experiencing? What version are you running?

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Where did you hear that? I've got 2950s that periodically lock up that we've narrowed down to a chipset difference that Dell refuses to acknowledge because we're running FreeBSD.

My 2950 runs like a top. What chipset difference? I'm about to buy a couple more, I think. I'd like to avoid headaches if possible.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

Well they only started rather recently, and like I said, you have to be a huge customer for them to even consider supporting freeBSD. I just know that they're doing it for somebody, but I've already said too much.

Just stay away from the broadcom nics.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Ninja Rope posted:

We have lots of Dell 2950's running FreeBSD. Can you be more specific about the problems you're experiencing? What version are you running?

Random loving lockups. Periodically, I/O completely freezes and when something tries to hit the disk, instant panic or fault. It happens on 6.2 and post-6.2 6-STABLE after some promising mfi commits. It's much less frequent since I disabled patrol reads.

no_fuse posted:

My 2950 runs like a top. What chipset difference? I'm about to buy a couple more, I think. I'd like to avoid headaches if possible.

It only happens on the first two 2950s, which predate me. I don't remember the exact chipset (Intel 5xx??) and I hosed syslog-ng and have a nice blank dmesg, but the mobo P/N is 0NH278A03 on those vs. OCU542A00 on the newer, and not hosed, ones.

The controllers are also different, 0R9376A00/0PN610A00 (bad) vs. 0RR901A00/0PN610A01 (good).

This is the most thorough troubleshooting I've ever done. They've replaced everything, but with the same P/N, at our request. Slightly less stable servers can be reduced to lab duty if it means we can trust that the vast majority of our (unsupported) 9th gens are fine.

Absorbs Quickly posted:

Well they only started rather recently, and like I said, you have to be a huge customer for them to even consider supporting freeBSD. I just know that they're doing it for somebody, but I've already said too much.

Yeah, that ain't happening then. We just lie to them most of the time anyway.

quote:

Just stay away from the broadcom nics.

em for life.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

a nice blank dmesg

less /var/run/demsg.boot

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Absorbs Quickly posted:

less /var/run/demsg.boot

We're doing something with klog that clears that out if I don't add dmesg to the REQUIRE statement in syslog-ng's rc script.

But I was able to reboot one during our outage window this morning and the two we're having problems with are Intel 5000x based.

Absorbs Quickly
Jan 6, 2005

So how stable is ZFS in 7.0?
I'm thinking about throwing up a decent sized server and running half a dozen jails on a raidz zfs pool,will I regret this if I do it?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Absorbs Quickly posted:

So how stable is ZFS in 7.0?
I'm thinking about throwing up a decent sized server and running half a dozen jails on a raidz zfs pool,will I regret this if I do it?

It seems OK so far, but I wouldn't do anything that you didn't back up. We're running it on our personal file server. It nearly immediately blew a drive, hot swapped a new one in and it rebuilt just fine.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

I mean WPA2. The other option is not WEP. There are many other ways to secure a wireless connection; authpf, SSH, VPNs, and IPSec can already do everything WPA2 can do and more. They're simpler (WPA2 requires a state machine) and they've been around longer. WPA2 is a complex standard and requires too much bullshit in its implementation for anyone to consider writing support for it when there are already multiple tried-and-true ways of accomplishing the same thing.

This is exactly the kind of thing I'd expect from the OpenBSD guys, sacrificing practical usability over an idealist point of view.

I can't speak for its design and or the challenges involved in implementation, but from an ease of use standpoint WPA2 beats the poo poo out of all of those.

I use SSH tunnels pretty much daily to get in to my office network from the road and provide remote support to my customers, but I sure as hell don't want to do the same to get online from my own couch. I get home from work, I open my laptop, I have internet. End of story.

Wireless networks in the home and most offices are about convenience. WPA/WPA2 means I can have friends show up, toss them a post-it with the key, and expect them to be able to get online almost without care for their OS or if it's even a normal computer. I know the AppleTV, Xbox 360, and PS3 support WPA2, I think the PSP does as well. As far as I know the DS is limited to WEP, but that's it.

None of these devices support VPNs or run SSH (out of the box at least) so from a practical standpoint I know which one I'm choosing.

Since VPNs and the like are complicated and not really supported by most devices, they're not an option to me. WEP is absolutely garbage for security, so that's out too. That leaves WPA and WPA2. As far as I know, there are some theoretical attacks on WPA which have not actually been implemented (and may not be implementable) and WPA2 is as of yet unbroken.

no_fuse
Nov 19, 2003
ph34r the underscore

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

em for life.

Even my desktop has em0 :c00lbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I'm Libertarian u ASS
Jan 20, 2007

by Fragmaster

wolrah posted: