Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
They were livin' creatures
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes
How's running FreeBSD 64-bit? I remember people cautioning against 64-bit Windows for various reasons (something about drivers and applications support or something) and I was wondering if 64-bit FreeBSD had it's reasons for avoiding it as well. Is Windows just having problems with 64-bit (if it still does)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrispyman
Mar 24, 2005

The Original 8-bit Burninator

DeciusMagnus posted:

How's running FreeBSD 64-bit? I remember people cautioning against 64-bit Windows for various reasons (something about drivers and applications support or something) and I was wondering if 64-bit FreeBSD had it's reasons for avoiding it as well. Is Windows just having problems with 64-bit (if it still does)?
It's just the x64 versions of Windows. FreeBSD runs great on x64 since for the most part everything is compiled from source and works fine. The only thing you might have to worry about is if you have some sorta custom binary only stuff but the emulation layer might be able to take care of those.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

997...998...999......GAMETIME

chrispyman posted:

It's just the x64 versions of Windows. FreeBSD runs great on x64 since for the most part everything is compiled from source and works fine.

Purely anecdotal: a few coworkers and I noticed a enough of an increase in random X problems and general instability when running amd64 to keep everyone on i386.

EDIT: The problems were only on desktops running X. We're almost exclusively amd64 on servers. The last i386 server is getting the beatdown this week.

JamesOff
Dec 12, 2002

What a frightening beast!
I ran amd64 on my Athlon64 for a bit, but gave up because I got bored of things like win32-codecs not working so I couldn't play a load of media files.

This was a year or two ago now, so it might be better now, but if you need anything that uses things like that it would be worth checking.

Performance-wise, I didn't notice any difference.

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

jnr posted:

Just install native Firefox and www/swfdec-plugin if you want youtube. It's not perfect and doesn't work for everything (yet!), but youtube plays perfectly and the sound stays in sync unlike with Adobe's binary.

swfdec didn't really work out well for Youtube; I cannot see any video but I can hear the audio. I also tried wine with Windows Firefox and Windows Flash and that worked well. I also tried gnash and that worked too except none of the controls on Youtube worked, just the audio and video.

I would rather not have use Windows Firefox all the time, but it's nice to know it's there in a bind when Gnash is having problems.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

chrispyman posted:

The only thing you might have to worry about is if you have some sorta custom binary only stuff

Like the nvidia driver :(

DeciusMagnus posted:

swfdec didn't really work out well for Youtube

I don't know what to tell you. It works perfectly for me under Epiphany, FF2, and FF3. What browser are you using?

DeciusMagnus
Mar 16, 2004

Seven times five
Watch 'em come to life
Right before your eyes

jnr posted:

I don't know what to tell you. It works perfectly for me under Epiphany, FF2, and FF3. What browser are you using?

Firefox 3. I was just posting alternatives I've tried and their results in case anyone else is having problems. I've started moving most of my desktop activities to FreeBSD, but I was afraid things like lack of Flash support would keep me from completely switching, but these findings are reassuring. I'm going to have to keep my Windows box for games though.

helixxo
May 2, 2005

jnr posted:

Check your /var/log/Xorg.0.log to see when/why it's dying. If you get the prompt saying "run fsck manually" that asks which shell to use just hit Enter to select /bin/sh, run "fsck -y", and then "exit" once it's done to complete the boot like normal.
Thanks, system came back up after fsck. Okay, I started checking /var/log/Xorg.0.log and it seems the system is freezing before it can write a log file. It either freezes with the beginning of the x startup text on the screen or with a black screen.

This is the .conf file I'm using http://pastebin.com/m5d48f8ef
Small tweaks I've tried are removing "BusID "PCI:1:0:0"" from the Device section and "Modes "1440x900"" from the screen section.

helixxo fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Aug 15, 2008

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
Check kldstat for nvidia.ko before you startx. It should be there if you have nvidia_load="YES" (also linux_enable if you checked that on the config screen) in /boot/loader.conf

helixxo
May 2, 2005

jnr posted:

Check kldstat for nvidia.ko before you startx. It should be there if you have nvidia_load="YES" (also linux_enable if you checked that on the config screen) in /boot/loader.conf
Yah both of those are in loader.conf, kldstat shows:
kernel
linux.ko
nvidia.ko
acpi.ko
linprocfs.ko

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
If I wanted to put FreeBSD on my laptop (not going to at the moment, but just for the sake of discussion), is it possible that I can NFS mount my server's ports tree so I can update that only once and have my FreeBSD laptop access it or would that cause issues somehow?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Sergeant Hobo posted:

If I wanted to put FreeBSD on my laptop (not going to at the moment, but just for the sake of discussion), is it possible that I can NFS mount my server's ports tree so I can update that only once and have my FreeBSD laptop access it or would that cause issues somehow?

It will work. In fact is described as an example in the Handbook http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/network-nfs.html

It doesn't cause a problem because port configurations are stored somewhere else, in /var/db/ports.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Sergeant Hobo posted:

If you're going to be doing it read-only and don't want to have to ssh to the NFS server to fetch distfiles, you'll need to set WRKDIRPREFIX and DISTDIR in /etc/make.conf.

Greed is eternal
Jun 8, 2008
This looks very interesting: http://ivoras.sharanet.org/blog/tree/2008-07-20.new-usb-stack-coming-to-current.html

Old new, but apparently they are commiting the new improved usb stack into current. Let hope it can solve some problems i have been experiencing wiht usb mass storage devices.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
Does anyone know of a kernel module that will read/mount HFS+? I have a drobo formatted in it and I would like it to mount to my FreeBSD desktop. I looked around and found an old article about it from back around 5.1 but nothing else.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

ptier posted:

Does anyone know of a kernel module that will read/mount HFS+?

There's http://www.freshports.org/emulators/hfsutils/, but it doesn't explicitly say HFS+.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

There's http://www.freshports.org/emulators/hfsutils/, but it doesn't explicitly say HFS+.

yea, saw that too. Whelp I'll give it a shot and report back with... something.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

jnr posted:

Like the nvidia driver :(

:(

I tried looking into buying a new video card too, and it seemed like nothing was supported.

helixxo
May 2, 2005
On a fresh install of freebsd 7 with gnome I'm trying to get HAL mounting. I put dbus, hald, and polkitd enabled in rc.conf, I fire up gnome and ctrl+alt+f1 shows something like:

quote:

initializing gnome mount extension
nautilus: warning: failed to initialize libhal context (null)
nautilus: warning: could not initialize hal context
shutting down gnome-mount extension
Somehow I was able to fix this a few hours ago but then I reinstalled bsd and I can't remember which parts of the keyboard I was pounding with my fists when It started working.

Also, I went to install glib-2.x with ports and it said there was an old version and to get rid of it with "make deinstall" but the ports section in the bsd handbook says to pkg_delete to remove a package. When and for what do I use each of these commands?

Also, I've installed Banshee music player with ports and when I open it I get a "Starting banshee..." box in the window list, but then it dissapears and nothing happens. ctrl+alt+f1 shows:

quote:

/usr/local/bin/banshee-1: ${arg:0...}: Bad substitution

Finally, what is the window I see when I hit ctrl+alt+f1 called :p?

helixxo fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Sep 13, 2008

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

helixxo posted:

Somehow I was able to fix this a few hours ago but then I reinstalled bsd and I can't remember which parts of the keyboard I was pounding with my fists when It started working.

Make sure you have "vfs.usermount=1" in your /etc/sysctl.conf and are mounting /proc:

fstab posted:

proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

HAL/PolicyKit won't work without it. Then head to the terminal and run these commands to disable to old pre-2.22 automounting system:

quote:

gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/automount_drives false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/automount_media false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autobrowse false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_cda false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_dvd false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoplay_vcd false
gconftool-2 -s --type bool /desktop/gnome/volume_manager/autoprinter false

helixxo
May 2, 2005
Alright, thanks, did all that, still get the hal error starting gnome. But, root, usr, var, tmp, proc are all mounted including cdrom which is nice, but it doens't mount my mp3 player.

helixxo fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 14, 2008

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Kapser posted:

If any of you happen to be in NYC, or would like to travel, NYCBSDCon will be happening over the weekend of October 11-12, 2008 at Columbia University with a similar format to the 2006 conference.

I got my travel confirmation for NYCBSDCon yesterday. Anyone else going?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I am trying to put FreeBSD on my old HP Omnibook 6000 with an ATI Rage Mobility graphics chipset and I get this when starting up X.org:
code:
(EE) MACH64(0): [dri] ATIDRIScreenInit failed because of a version mismatch.
[dri] mach64.o kernel module version is 1.0.0, but version 2.x is needed (with 2.x >= 2.0).
[dri] Disabling DRI.
All the relevant modules are loaded successfully and I have the latest production release of 7.0 and all my ports are up-to-date. What is it excatly that I need to install/upgrade or am I doing something else wrong?

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

Pavol Paska posted:

I am trying to put FreeBSD on my old HP Omnibook 6000 with an ATI Rage Mobility graphics chipset and I get this when starting up X.org:

It appears to be a known issue.

Do none of the other ATI modules support DRI?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I just updated to 7.0-RELEASE-p5 today, but I'm not a regular FBSD follower. Can someone point out to me the release notes for -p5 because I can't seem to find it anywhere. What exactly did they fix in it? :iiam:

I have one outstanding bug that I would like to have fixed before 7.1 and I'm hoping it was fixed.

edit: looks like it wasn't. you'd think they'd have fixed it by now. problem at hand: iSCSI performance is abysmal (~1.5MB/s). I tried patching with a patch I found on a mailing list but it didn't work.

feld fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 15, 2008

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

feld posted:

Can someone point out to me the release notes for -p5 because I can't seem to find it anywhere. What exactly did they fix in it? :iiam:
http://www.freebsd.org/security/advisories.html

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

That doesn't tell me exactly what was changed in p5, it only lists the history of the security advisories. I could do some guesswork by looking at the dates of things, but that doesn't answer everything such as bug fixes that aren't security issues.

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

/usr/src/UPDATING posted:

20081002: p5 FreeBSD-SA-08:10.nd6
Default to ignoring potentially evil IPv6 Neighbor Solicitation messages.

CrzyDTpBoy
Aug 5, 2003

feld posted:

That doesn't tell me exactly what was changed in p5, it only lists the history of the security advisories. I could do some guesswork by looking at the dates of things, but that doesn't answer everything such as bug fixes that aren't security issues.

Bugfixes don't really hit patch levels. But looking in UPDATING:

quote:

20081002: p5 FreeBSD-SA-08:10.nd6
Default to ignoring potentially evil IPv6 Neighbor Solicitation
messages.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

ahh, I see now. Thanks a lot guys.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
It seems the FreeBSD foundation put up a set of official forums: http://forums.freebsd.org/.

Also, I've been kind of interested in DragonFly BSD and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and that Hammer filesystem.

uksheep
Jul 23, 2007

do andriods dream of electric sheep
any one here running an FTP server on Freebsd, I have to have one running for a god awful business reason and there is no way to run it using a sane protocol.

I'm going to run this in a jail with no outside access apart from port 21 running on a private IP that I'm redirecting all ftp traffic to from pf.

question is which one is best or most secure etc

complex
Sep 16, 2003

uksheep posted:

any one here running an FTP server on Freebsd, I have to have one running for a god awful business reason and there is no way to run it using a sane protocol.

I'm going to run this in a jail with no outside access apart from port 21 running on a private IP that I'm redirecting all ftp traffic to from pf.

question is which one is best or most secure etc

I recommend vsftpd.

uksheep
Jul 23, 2007

do andriods dream of electric sheep
I guess you can sorta trust the one that FreeBSD.org runs

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
I don't know whether anybody else here uses it, but pfSense 1.2.1 was released yesterday. It's mostly a bugfix release, but they did move to FreeBSD 7 as a base, so it should have better performance than prior releases.

LinuxGirl87
Feb 13, 2006

by Ozmaugh

Kreeblah posted:

I don't know whether anybody else here uses it, but pfSense 1.2.1 was released yesterday. It's mostly a bugfix release, but they did move to FreeBSD 7 as a base, so it should have better performance than prior releases.

Doesn't that mean immensely improved wireless support, including some draft-N cards? I've always wanted to kit bash a wireless router and this might just be the BSD for me...

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Doctor Optimal posted:

Doesn't that mean immensely improved wireless support, including some draft-N cards? I've always wanted to kit bash a wireless router and this might just be the BSD for me...

In theory, yes. It should be able to use any hardware that FreeBSD 7 supports. Whether they've actually written any code to support 802.11n functionality is another story. It's a maintenance release without new features, so I'm not sure and since I don't have any 802.11n cards myself, I can't try it out.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

FreeBSD 7.1 RELEASE has been tagged and is now being being built/packaged.

If you stop by your favorite mirror you might find an ISO for your desired distribution. :ssh:

LooseChanj
Feb 17, 2006

Logicaaaaaaaaal!

complex posted:

FreeBSD 7.1 RELEASE has been tagged and is now being being built/packaged.

If you stop by your favorite mirror you might find an ISO for your desired distribution. :ssh:

I installed the amd64 version yesterday. After 7.0 hung while trying to boot off the install cd, I went to d/l the 7.1 RC and drat if it didn't say release on it. So whoot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
In addition, I found the 7.1-RELEASE release notes.

• Locked thread