Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uksheep
Jul 23, 2007

do andriods dream of electric sheep
any one here running an FTP server on Freebsd, I have to have one running for a god awful business reason and there is no way to run it using a sane protocol.

I'm going to run this in a jail with no outside access apart from port 21 running on a private IP that I'm redirecting all ftp traffic to from pf.

question is which one is best or most secure etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uksheep
Jul 23, 2007

I guess you can sorta trust the one that FreeBSD.org runs

uksheep
Jul 23, 2007

From what i remember pfsense needs virtual IPs configured before it will let you 1:1 nat. Had some trouble getting our mail servers to be contactable from the outside world when i first put it in.

uksheep
Jul 23, 2007

I hate samba.

uksheep
Jul 23, 2007

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'm really not trying to be the open-source zealot here, but most hate for samba should be directed at Microsoft. The samba guys have done an outstanding job reverse-engineering a crap protocol, and handling all kinds of interoperability issues with MS products. I have an older 3.0.x installation that had no trouble letting a brand new Server 2k8 join it's domain. I was not expecting it to work at all and it did. The work on AD stuff also seems to be coming along pretty well.

That's not to say there isn't some well deserved hate for samba too, but I haven't had any serious issues with it lately aside from outdated documentation.

I have just wasted a few days of my life to Samba/AD integration.

I actually don't think my gripe is with Samba - more the lack of documentation or half decent error messages.

Its up and working now and it works well. Looking forward to Samba 4 with fully featured AD support.

If you are ever connecting to a post 2k domain it needs to use kerberos.

• Locked thread