Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I tend to lean towards the defaults since you usually can't go horribly wrong with them and theres more configuration examples and documentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

SmirkingJack posted:

To cut down as much as possible on the down time until backups can be restored to the secondary server and it can assume web serving duties I was thinking that every hour I would create a snapshot of the data partition and save it to a removable hard drive, where all of the backups are stored. Then, when the time comes, I would stick this removable drive into the secondary server and copy over everything to it's data partition. The partitions would be the same size and the servers set up identically.

It seems like a fairly straight forward procedure, but is there anything wrong with my thinking? What would be the best way of restoring from a snapshot, simply copy everything over? Just cp or should I look into dd or something else? Would dd maintain permissions?

Are you running a database or anything volatile like that on the server?

quote:

I know it isn't ideal, but it is what it is and I am doing the best with what I have. Any help you offer is greatly appreciated.
The fact youre bothering with backups and even spare hardware puts you above a lot of people, unfortunately.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 10, 2008

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

atticus posted:

another generic recommended/best practices FreeBSD installation question.

After I get 7.0-RELEASE loaded via CD, what's the best option to do afterwards? Update the ports tree or update my system to 7.0-STABLE or does it really even matter?

There's no real need to follow STABLE unless you want some cutting-edge feature for the base system, just stick with the latest errata release and get the newest port tree.

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Aug 5, 2008

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

I am trying to put FreeBSD on my old HP Omnibook 6000 with an ATI Rage Mobility graphics chipset and I get this when starting up X.org:
code:
(EE) MACH64(0): [dri] ATIDRIScreenInit failed because of a version mismatch.
[dri] mach64.o kernel module version is 1.0.0, but version 2.x is needed (with 2.x >= 2.0).
[dri] Disabling DRI.
All the relevant modules are loaded successfully and I have the latest production release of 7.0 and all my ports are up-to-date. What is it excatly that I need to install/upgrade or am I doing something else wrong?

• Locked thread