Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
porkface
Dec 29, 2000

In my experience, over time, your server configurations are going to get out of synch and you'll have an awful lot of things to remember to do under pressure and in a hurry when trying to get the backup server online.

Why can't you just keep them automatically in synch, at least nightly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

atticus posted:

Cool, thanks for clearing that up. Another question - do most FreeBSD users find it really necessary to install that linux compatibility thing? Would the only advantage to this be for development/cross-platform testing?
With ports, you can customize your make config to compile everything specifically for your processor and often gain performance advantages.

The downside to that is that your install is less portable should you want to restore it to a new machine.

Yes, I install Linux compatibility on home or desktop machines so they have the flexibility to run things that may not be ported to FreeBSD yet. In the past that's included Java and Oracle, but those examples probably don't apply anymore. For a server, I only install it when it becomes necessary.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Smooth upgrade path from 4.5.2 here, right?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

falz posted:

Can't tell if this is a joke post, but upgrades from 4 are not smooth. 5 and up are.

I have a busted 5.2.1 RC system I've been using for years to run a vinum RAID 5 volume among other home services. It gets stuck for 20 minutes when booting due to some bug in this particular RC, so it's a pain every time the power goes out since it's my home router.

Is there any support for old vinum raid 5 volumes in the gvinum system to where I could possibly upgrade to FreeBSD 8? Or am I stuck at 5.3?

How well might I expect 8 to run on an old Celeron 733 with only 512 MB of RAM?

porkface fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Nov 25, 2009

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Sergeant Hobo posted:

DragonFly BSD version 2.6 is released. I need to fire up my virtual machines for all the BSDs and get them updated.

You know you don't need to cultivate live samples, right?

You can grow new ones from seed in about 60 minutes.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

I've been thinking for a few years (about 6) of moving my FreeBSD 5.2.1 RC #14 machine to new hardware or at least upgrading everything on it to a final release version since it's got a few weird bugs. But since it's mission critical for everything I do at home I'd like to perform a full disk clone as a backup before I do anything drastic.

Is there a good way to clone a disk to an archive file on a network share? It's only about 8 GB and I don't want to take the machine down to plug in another hard drive, and it seems like some kind of dump | tar command would give me a nice archive of the root partition.

Am I doing this wrong? Is there a widely recognized way of doing this?

Instead of a network volume what about a USB hard drive?

Also, I second the recommendation for VirtualBox. The only thing it doesn't do well is auto-start guests on Windows, but there are hacks if you need that.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

It used to be a well-known fact that Apache 1.x was not reliable for large file transfers. It wasn't just a 2GB limit. It was simply less reliable the larger the file.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

After power outages, my FreeBSD system doesn't recognize my PS/2 keyboard through a KVM if it wasn't currently focused on the FreeBSD system - which is almost always.

Is there a way after boot to tell it to accept keyboard input? I don't mind issuing commands via SSH, but right now the only way I can get it to recognize the keyboard is to reboot.

Bonus points if I can get it to recognize the keyboard as soon as the KVM switches to the BSD machine. I thought that's what KVMs were for.

FreeBSD 4.8.4 on an old Celeron 300A system

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

jandrese posted:

Holy crap, that is an old version of FreeBSD. The command you want is kbdcontrol, but I don't know if it existed back in the 4.x series.

It's there, but there are no keyboard entries in /dev. There is atkbdc0 referenced in dmesg but no device node to use for kbdcontrol.

I tried adding device nodes for several types of keyboard drivers but I don't really know what I'm doing there and got "no such file or directory" messages trying to use mknod.

Any ideas?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Does anyone know what I need to setup NAT loopback on an older FreeBSD 5.2.1 box running ipfw and natd?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

roadhead posted:

Ok so now that I'm on 11 I decided to try out the Docker support.

It's all unsupported linux syscalls all the way down as far as I can tell, not sure what I was expecting.

Is there something I'm missing?

The documentation wiki is pretty clear on this:

quote:

Docker on FreeBSD relies heavily on ZFS, jail and the 64bit Linux compatibility layer that was introduced in June, 2015. Docker on FreeBSD is genuine Docker and retrieves containers from the official docker.io repository.

• Locked thread