Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wrexsoul
Mar 6, 2002

CrzyDTpBoy posted:

gently caress desktops, my virtual machines have em0:

http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/vmware.html

It works in 6.3 as well.

Funny, I've just been setting up a FreeBSD 7 VM template for running some monitoring software and was following some of the tips there. I'd disagree on two points, first the network driver, em0 performance is great, but it creates issues when/if you need to vmotion the box off one server to another. This also touches on his point 5; "vmware tools not neccessary"; the guest tools are absolutely neccessary if you want your VMs to place nice in a low-memory environment (I.E. one or more of the ESX hosts are down for maintenance or have crashed), and if you need to vmotion at all. With the release of the open-vm-tools port, all* you need to do to get the tools running is run portinstall open-vm-tools, add

quote:

vmware_guestd_enable=YES
vmware_guest_kmod_enable=YES
vmware_guest_vmmemctl_enable=YES
vmware_guest_vmxnet_enable=YES
to rc.conf and reboot. Then you'll be able to bring up vxn0(after adding ethernet0.virtualDev="vmxnet" to the .vmx config file) for an optimized network driver, be able to vmotion as needed, and the vmmemctl kernel module allows the guest to intelligently swap out memory when the host is running low on RAM instead of the host randomly swapping things to disk that might actually be live.

*Actually you may also need to compile a custom kernel without the le driver; I'm not sure as I haven't tested with the stock kernel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread